Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Jimbot posted:

I'm tempted to just join Adder or Mael. I could probably make what wins I have on Flame back within a day. It's not even that we lose. It happens. It just happens to be we lose hard because no one goes after the crystals. They're too busy playing grab-rear end in each other's bases.

Doesn't help that I'm kind of tired of being nuked and status effect out the rear end by one loving Bard. They need to tone that class down

You could just freelance you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Haquer posted:

Man I'm glad I had those pubbies there to help me, oh--

:laffo:

My favourite thing about playing Monk in HW cos I haven't since SB was people getting pissy with me for not hitting LB the second they ask when 1. I already knew when I was going to push it and 2. There's a small window right at the start of Greased Lightning refreshing where if you do LB 1 or 2 then, you can keep your stack.

My least favourite thing is people who think the LB is exclusively for the final % as a cool finishing move on the last boss.

Jimbot posted:

I'm tempted to just join Adder or Mael. I could probably make what wins I have on Flame back within a day. It's not even that we lose. It happens. It just happens to be we lose hard because no one goes after the crystals. They're too busy playing grab-rear end in each other's bases.

Doesn't help that I'm kind of tired of being nuked and status effect out the rear end by one loving Bard. They need to tone that class down

Just freelance. PVP in this game isn't skill based or whatever and it's not is it mechanically deep enough to allow that. Winning is luck. Also the Mael welcomes people who Merlwyb's greatness at any stage in life.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 30, 2017

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

Which, by the way, still contributes wins to your home company even if you freelance as another.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Jimbot posted:

Just make some pvp friends and do it with them. Everything in this game is better with friends.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Where is that setting?

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
I've started to not do the freelancer thing cause it'd put me into flames, a lot.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I actually did for a while. Kept getting Flame, so I just cut out the bullshit and went Flame because the game is content on putting me there anyway. I think late morning/early afternoon is Flame time. Night is garbage time. Got a few wins earlier today and was generally competent.

Only 75 more to go. I've ruled out the orb entirely, though.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Jimbot posted:

This sound advice. I came off more severe than I really felt. It's what happens when you flat-out loving lose 10 in a row as Flame. I swear this side is trash 90% of the day.

Frontlines in a group is the first time I've had fun in any MMO pvp since wintergrasp shenanigans. Bring a goon group and do spec ops poo poo at other people's bases. You'd be surprised how far you can go with a little coordination and a healer.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
And just like that, I've gotten primal EX weapons for my two main jobs when I'd previously not picked up any outside of glamours. Stormblood is extremely my poo poo.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Frontlines in a group is the first time I've had fun in any MMO pvp since wintergrasp shenanigans. Bring a goon group and do spec ops poo poo at other people's bases. You'd be surprised how far you can go with a little coordination and a healer.

The most disheartening thing about a small premade going for people's bases in Shatter is the fact that it means each and every idiot in alliance chat will shout at people to get back to base while there's a big ice up.

Or, in other words, get tricked into throwing the match because they don't understand basic math or how much a base is actually worth.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
If I don't care about glamours and don't need gear for alt jobs, what should I be spending poetics on?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Xarbala posted:

The most disheartening thing about a small premade going for people's bases in Shatter is the fact that it means each and every idiot in alliance chat will shout at people to get back to base while there's a big ice up.

Or, in other words, get tricked into throwing the match because they don't understand basic math or how much a base is actually worth.

Having someone keeping an eye on the map for where ice spawns and when they break is also great for predicting where the zergs are, so if you're smart you can avoid unwinnable fights and just pick on nerds when they're alone or coordinate to burst down a healer and turn an even fight into a full rout. It's pretty great.

Do WW2 roleplay with 7 machinists and a scholar medic, fighting retreats when they're just dropping dead left and right and then you turn and kill them all are really funny.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

So thread, I am playing through 2.x stuff to farm the ponies, and was wondering besides the ponies/coils/24 mans is there any major 2.x content worth hitting up, or is everything else just xp fodder for the classes I haven't touched yet?

Tl;dr what's worth seeing in 2.x?

Thanks in advance

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

numerrik posted:

So thread, I am playing through 2.x stuff to farm the ponies, and was wondering besides the ponies/coils/24 mans is there any major 2.x content worth hitting up, or is everything else just xp fodder for the classes I haven't touched yet?

Tl;dr what's worth seeing in 2.x?

Thanks in advance

the hildebrand questline is a fun lark and it's got 3 fanservice-heavy trials

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Brother Entropy posted:

the hildebrand questline is a fun lark and it's got 3 fanservice-heavy trials

Did hildy already, it was pretty good, but thanks for recommending it.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
I'm returning after 18 months to play samurai (who isn't?) and I wanted to make a healer or tank as well for queue times and general usefulness. Any thoughts on paladin versus white mage? I have no real preference on tank or heals, I've done both in the past.

There's always a need for tanks but I saw some people saying there's a huge lack of healers too.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Nigulus Rex posted:

I'm returning after 18 months to play samurai (who isn't?) and I wanted to make a healer or tank as well for queue times and general usefulness. Any thoughts on paladin versus white mage? I have no real preference on tank or heals, I've done both in the past.

There's always a need for tanks but I saw some people saying there's a huge lack of healers too.

Since there are so few of each it'll spike depending on time and situation. Anecdotally, I've seen considerably more tanks than healers in my hunt groups. Really what I'd recommend is to focus on the job you find more fun.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Nigulus Rex posted:

I like playing WHM, but I find being a healer in this expansion a little stressful so far. I don't have much experience doing it (thanks Samurai) but being a tank may be best to learn the dungeons and trials on, and then you'll probably switch to healer shortly after.

Plus if you're a tank, you get a special role in the Susan fight

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Nigulus Rex posted:

White Mage is in a good place right now. Some of their later mechanics are a bit iffy (lillies and confessions) but their core is so solid it doesn't matter. I'm having a ton of fun playing it at 70, probably split 50/50 with AST depending on what my group has. If you want a healer you can't really go wrong with them atm.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

isk posted:

Anecdotally, I've seen considerably more tanks than healers in my hunt groups. Really what I'd recommend is to focus on the job you find more fun.

It took much longer to find healers for my trial PFs this past week, but the tanks were of abysmal quality.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
Was having a good time in a Susano EX farm party, the boss was about to die and everything was going great. He began to cast stormsplitter and the tank needed topped off so I tried to cast tetragrammaton on him which is bound to my R key, then everyone died. That is the story of why rescue is no longer bound to control R.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Man, I'm jealous. I can't even find room for Rescue in my role actions in the first place.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Attorney at Funk posted:

Man, I'm jealous. I can't even find room for Rescue in my role actions in the first place.

You don't need esuna in Susano, and it's a nice skill to have to pull people toward you after a knockback.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

What exactly determines if Susano will knock you back? I thought it was from crossing the HFIL while having the storm cloud marker on you, but I've been knocked back while staying in the left side (again with the storm mark).

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

If I don't care about glamours and don't need gear for alt jobs, what should I be spending poetics on?

I legitimately wouldn't know what to do with 90% of the game if I weren't working towards looking great in one way or another.

I've not really played WHM much since SB, only level 65, but I got a nice usage out of Rescue in Shisui when someone got seduced on low HP.

I mean, I could have just used one of the 5000 heal buttons I have but god drat it I wanted to Rescue them. (It's on the bench in the unused section again now, once was enough)

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jun 30, 2017

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Hommando posted:

You don't need esuna in Susano, and it's a nice skill to have to pull people toward you after a knockback.

If you need rescue in Susano ex get the gently caress out of that group. Rescue is a trap ability and not worth opening the role menu to swap to.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Rescue is really good... to PK people with in the middle of boss battles

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I guess I can pull a honest tank into another pack of mobs to give them a hint.

I should be allowed to Fluid Aura them into mobs to do that though.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Kongming posted:

I just hit 70 on NIN and am wondering what the opener is now that I have Ten Chi Jin...I'm finding the ability awkward at the moment.

There are several and which one you use depends. Either

code:
Suiton -> Spinning + Kassatsu  -> Gust + Infusion-> Shadow Fang + Mug -> 
Spinning+ Jugulate -> Gust + Trick -> Aeolian + DWAD -> 
Spinning + Fuma -> Gust + Duality -> Aeolian + TCJ
(Fuma -> Katon -> Doton) OR (Fuma -> Raiton -> Suiton) -> 
Spinning -> Gust -> Shadow Fang 
or

code:
Spinning + Suiton  -> Gust + Infusion-> Shadow Fang + Mug -> 
Spinning+ Jugulate -> Gust + Kassatsu -> Aeolian + Trick-> 
Spinning + Raigon -> Gust + Duality+DWAD -> Aeolian + TCJ
Fuma -> Raiton -> Suiton -> 
Spinning -> Gust -> Shadow Fang 
Are what you're most likely to see. Ideally, you wait just long enough before hitting Trick Attack that it doesn't clip your next GCD, which lets you fit your TCJ in the vuln window better. If you have bad ping or will have to move, you can use your first ninki on Bhavacakra instead. Only use the AoE TCJ if you are positive you will not miss any ticks of doton, AND you don't have any buffs up that won't be applied to doton, like your potion. If you're precasting suiton, make sure you're in melee when you actually fire it off, to guarantee you get enough ninki by the time you need it.

Against bosses that don't sight pull, like Zurvan (or a dummy), you can doton and hit hide before it puts you in combat for free damage.

VHGS fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jun 30, 2017

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

If you need rescue in Susano ex get the gently caress out of that group. Rescue is a trap ability and not worth opening the role menu to swap to.

Need is a stretch, but there's a certain configuration where the cloud baiter also has the dice countdown that Rescue makes a hell of a lot easier.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Is Doton effected by Trick Attack? I remember it wasn't effected by old Foes but I don't remember if that also included Trick Attack.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

WrightOfWay posted:

Is Doton effected by Trick Attack? I remember it wasn't effected by old Foes but I don't remember if that also included Trick Attack.

Just eyeballing it here, but it looks like yes, while the debuff is active it works, but it doesn't snapshot.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

We did Susano blind yesterday and got it in 3 pulls. We did Lakshmi blind tonight and got it our first pull (albeit with a bunch of deaths during the pull).

I hope this isn't a trend for this expansion.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Need is a stretch, but there's a certain configuration where the cloud baiter also has the dice countdown that Rescue makes a hell of a lot easier.

When that happens we just have the person run back either way and I lustrate them.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

travel ban

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

nuru posted:

We did Susano blind yesterday and got it in 3 pulls. We did Lakshmi blind tonight and got it our first pull (albeit with a bunch of deaths during the pull).

I hope this isn't a trend for this expansion.

I fail to see the problem.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Rescue kicks rear end.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

strong bird posted:

Rescue kicks rear end.

Absolutely this. I just wish I could fit it on my hotbar more often. Even with swapping protect out for something else after the first cast, there are too many cross-class skills that are almost always required for SCH in dungeons.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Queues are currently 500-1000 at peak times so this isn't very surprising.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

mfcrocker posted:

Queues are currently 500-1000 at peak times so this isn't very surprising.

The rest of the Chaos realms thank you for your service, I know several people who migrated there from Odin due to the lengthy expansion launch queues but now our peak time queues seem to hover around 20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

SKULL.GIF posted:

It took much longer to find healers for my trial PFs this past week, but the tanks were of abysmal quality.

My tank queues for Expert have been weirdly not-short this past week. Like, it'll say it's 20 minutes and then pop in one minute.