Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Baron Porkface posted:

What is "influence pressure" on the diplomacy screen?

It's been a couple weeks since I've played but IIRC it's basically your influence generation relative to the other civ. If you have enough you can make demands of them and if they refuse it's an automatic declaration of war. In that case you don't have to pay the influence cost of declaring war so that can be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Gobblecoque posted:

It's been a couple weeks since I've played but IIRC it's basically your influence generation relative to the other civ. If you have enough you can make demands of them and if they refuse it's an automatic declaration of war. In that case you don't have to pay the influence cost of declaring war so that can be nice.

"It's a way you can declare war for free" is basically yeah the entirety of what that is. Any demand you make will be met with war.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's a really weird system that doesn't seem finished or working as intended.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Influence pressure also effects your influence circles on the map. If you're near another faction and don't plan on wiping them out, you'll want to make sure you're not at a serious disadvantage so they can't just take your systems away from you if they pick up the research that enables it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Onean posted:

Influence pressure also effects your influence circles on the map. If you're near another faction and don't plan on wiping them out, you'll want to make sure you're not at a serious disadvantage so they can't just take your systems away from you if they pick up the research that enables it.

That's not the same influence pressure though, that one works system by system.

The free declarations of war on the diplomacy screen is pretty stupid because if you're generating more influence than them then you can afford to declare war anyway. The whole thing is extremely half-baked, but I'd imagine fixing it at this point would require such major changes that they'd rather leave it irrelevant until a major patch or expansion.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Reckon Cygnus is the best track from this ones ost, just fab

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Reckon Cygnus is the best track from this ones ost, just fab

It's weird, EL has the better faction tracks but ES2 has the better "neutral" tracks.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
In EL, where can I find a good guide on how to pace myself in terms of research and expansion? Or a rule of thumb? I have no idea how well I am doing compared to the AI - is there a way to check my empire's stats versus them?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Node posted:

In EL, where can I find a good guide on how to pace myself in terms of research and expansion? Or a rule of thumb? I have no idea how well I am doing compared to the AI - is there a way to check my empire's stats versus them?

Hover your cursor over the "end turn" button in the lower right. It'll give you a popup with your and the AIs scores. You should be at least somewhere close to the AI in score after the first 20-50 turns. I was able to use that to diagnose that I was actually mismanaging my population by not assigning it to production but leaving it on food by default, because I couldn't figure out why I should lag the AI behind in score by over 30%.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Antti posted:

Hover your cursor over the "end turn" button in the lower right. It'll give you a popup with your and the AIs scores. You should be at least somewhere close to the AI in score after the first 20-50 turns. I was able to use that to diagnose that I was actually mismanaging my population by not assigning it to production but leaving it on food by default, because I couldn't figure out why I should lag the AI behind in score by over 30%.

On top of this if you press F1 and then go to victory conditions you can see where you are on the graphs compared to the others.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Finally got to the part of the UE quest where you can change your faction identity, that was pretty neat. Is the traitor always the same? What's the Sheredyn bonus?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Antti posted:

It's weird, EL has the better faction tracks but ES2 has the better "neutral" tracks.

*lights cigar, space mafia theme plays*

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Strategic Tea posted:

*lights cigar, space mafia theme plays*

The Riftborn theme is by far the best, but on the non-faction side you have Axial Tilt Zero, Singularity, Cygnus, The Edge of the Sky, Geodesic, Dyson Sphere, Calabi-Yau Spaces, Three Quarks in a Row and they are all great.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Clarste posted:

That's not the same influence pressure though, that one works system by system.

The free declarations of war on the diplomacy screen is pretty stupid because if you're generating more influence than them then you can afford to declare war anyway. The whole thing is extremely half-baked, but I'd imagine fixing it at this point would require such major changes that they'd rather leave it irrelevant until a major patch or expansion.

Oh, I thought that was an empire thing, my bad.

Node posted:

For expanding into new cities, you want to time that with the Empire Plan every 20 turns. The cost for a plan is based off how many cities you control, so what you want to do is have a settler within range of where you want your new city to be on turn 20, 40, 60 and so on, set up the plan you want to use then settle the city. You'll get the benefit in every city but only pay for n-1 cities.

Science is a little harder to pin down. I didn't play enough to come up with a solid strategy, especially since your faction, style of play, starting and surrounding territories and the general flow of the game has a significant effect on the usefulness of certain research. Generally though picking up the tech that allows you to buy heroes is important since they're very rare otherwise; if you can't make use of an improvement research yet postpone or skip it; resource mining research is very important if you have that node and the usefulness of weapon and armor research that makes use of strategic resources depends on how aggressive you plan to be since later tech is the same but better.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The special armour research is also quite useful for giving access to trinkets which enable your governors to improve the FIDS output of your cities. It's a secondary concern to the much stronger applications of many other techs, but if you're considering picking up one of the "smithing techs" in your current tier, I would prioritize armour as it is useful both in and out of war.

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.

Node posted:

This is the guide you want:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=635764665

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
N.B. That guide is serious hardcore multiplayer early game optimizations. For someone who's poor at 4X and just playing EL for the fun of it solo, take a lot of that with a grain of salt. His early tech recommendations are good (but not necessarily in that order); EL is bizarre in that core gameplay aspects are locked behind optional techs that you might skip on your first game or two. Stuff like, say, buying heroes and having roads. He also (overemphasized) a good point: in EL, production is king. Can't have too much of it. No point it spiking high level techs if you have no hope in hell of producing that structure before the game ends! As an aside, lower level techs tend to be much more production-efficient. Expand at your own pace, mang. Making 3 settlers Era1 is pretty hardcore! etc.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Just started a UE game that plopped me directly in the center of the galaxy. Time to pump influence and cover the whole galaxy in my color :getin:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Um

Thanks, but maybe in a few dozen hours

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Node posted:

I don't think I've ever really put population into research, like, ever. Industry (and later, Dust) is more important, and the two science buildings you can research in Era 1 (Library and Geomic Labs) in every city, plus the +20% Sci bonus from the empire plan, will do most of the work for you. The Era 2 science building (Alchemy Workshop) is good but I often skip it until Eras 3 or 4, and I rarely get Statistical Methods at all. As long as you do that and place your cities on decent locations, you'll be fine.

And like someone said earlier, planning your first city around Turn 20 or right after is pretty good, then one or two more at Turn 40. After that, you should have enough population to shove into Influence if you need to hit certain points in your Empire Plan. In a fairly relaxed game against easier AI, you probably won't make more than 4-6 cities yourself before you start thinking about sitting still for a while and improving them all/going on a conquest spree (at least for the 'vanilla' races, like Vaulters and Wild Walkers).

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
Alright, I set up an open Doodle poll for Endless Legend multiplayer:
https://doodle.com/poll/mmi8htpegqcpem8k

Anyone is welcome to join, and don't sweat it if you are clueless. Our games are friendly, and people don't go for eliminations unless you're really asking for it.

Ignore the specific dates, this is just about picking a timeslot that we can (hopefully) use weekly.

Proposed rules:
-No custom races.
-Fast game speed, and a timer for the last active player each turn.
-All expansions activated. Don't worry if you don't own them, only the host needs to.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Cant figure out the vodyani. Do i need to undock my starting ark to do quests or what?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Jastiger posted:

Cant figure out the vodyani. Do i need to undock my starting ark to do quests or what?

you need to look for a minor civ to leech off of ASAP, and redesign your arks to have ankh generators (not leechers) ASAP. vodyani have huge pirate troubles early on, both from quests and from minor civs spawning pirates, so you'll want to get military ships very early on

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Cease to Hope posted:

you need to look for a minor civ to leech off of ASAP, and redesign your arks to have ankh generators (not leechers) ASAP. vodyani have huge pirate troubles early on, both from quests and from minor civs spawning pirates, so you'll want to get military ships very early on

Ah. I am so far into the game and still on step one of their quest. I couldn't kill the pirates and now other people own those spots where the pirates are supposed to be. I show up and there is nothing there, keeping me stuck on step 1.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
A couple newbie EL questions.

My faction quest requires me to destroy a city. The city is named light green in color so I'm guessing its the Wind Wakers, but I can't figure out how to find the city itself. Their borders are closed so I can't scout it out.

When I look at the status of empires and compare military scores, mine is 4461 while his is 2230. Would I kick his rear end? Does it take into account only the number of military units, military tech, or both?

The Wind Wakers are 1/5 of their required steps to win a quest victory. Is there a way to view their progress?

Node fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 9, 2017

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Jastiger posted:

Ah. I am so far into the game and still on step one of their quest. I couldn't kill the pirates and now other people own those spots where the pirates are supposed to be. I show up and there is nothing there, keeping me stuck on step 1.

Put your starting hero with your leecher ships, he can solo pirates that spawn from neutrals (ignore if you have pirates off), and wait until you build a second Ark to use it to kill the quest pirates.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Node posted:

A couple newbie EL questions.

My faction quest requires me to destroy a city. The city is named light green in color so I'm guessing its the Wind Wakers, but I can't figure out how to find the city itself. Their borders are closed so I can't scout it out.

When I look at the status of empires and compare military scores, mine is 4461 while his is 2230. Would I kick his rear end? Does it take into account only the number of military units, military tech, or both?

The Wind Wakers are 1/5 of their required steps to win a quest victory. Is there a way to view their progress?

I'm not at home and can't check, but like you said the colour of the city's name should match the faction colour (and if the factions are random, remember that green doesn't necessarily mean it's the Wild Walkers!). So you'll have to declare war and hunt around, but it shouldn't be too far from you. At least you'll grab some more territory! If you think it'll be a problem, though, it's perfectly fine not to progress the quest and win some other way.

The military score is basically an abstract number representing the power of units that faction controls; a whole lot of chaff will show up the same as just a handful of elite units. So yes, you should kick his rear end - a well-equipped army (perhaps with a handful of reinforcing units following) should rip through multiple easier AI armies, levelling up all the while. Especially you have a weapon tech lead, I love going on the warpath as soon as I can kit out an army with palladian weapons.

As for the quest victory, there will be a global update every time a faction completes a step, so you'll have loads of warning. They have to visit the ruins with the glowing lights above them, so they're gonna have a hard time doing that if you control one or two of them!

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

For those who are interested in such thing's I'm starting a Let's Play of Endless Space 2. Come tell me all the things I'm doing wrong while we marvel at the brave ineptitude of the Sophon people.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

Yeah, it's really feast or famine with the Vodyani. Without a Minor Civ to leech off of, you're forced to generate your own Essence from Alms for Essence and that sucks. Once you get your second ark up and running the whole operation gets a lot easier, in general. They exploit every planet at once in a system and their pops generate +4 of FIDS, which is hefty resource income.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah i figured that out, but all i had were 4 planet systems with maybe 1 i could actually colonize. Learning experience

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Jastiger posted:

Yeah i figured that out, but all i had were 4 planet systems with maybe 1 i could actually colonize. Learning experience

If you can make your elections swing so that Ecologists are running your Vodyani empire, it relieves the pressure immensely. You're able to colonize everything in a system (at about a 25% FIDS penalty for unresearched planet types) all at once so you start getting precious buildup a lot faster.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Speedball posted:

If you can make your elections swing so that Ecologists are running your Vodyani empire, it relieves the pressure immensely. You're able to colonize everything in a system (at about a 25% FIDS penalty for unresearched planet types) all at once so you start getting precious buildup a lot faster.

This not particularly reliable though. Ecologists are not a powerful faction, especially since the Vodyani rely on a playstyle that brings them into constant low-grade military conflict.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
vodyani should research bottom tree pretty heavily once they have their starting military situation sorted. small military ships, 7 command points, and a second-tier weapon should get you into the midgame. medium ships and some more command points should carry you until the final galaxy conquest sprint.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Cease to Hope posted:

vodyani should research bottom tree pretty heavily once they have their starting military situation sorted. small military ships, 7 command points, and a second-tier weapon should get you into the midgame. medium ships and some more command points should carry you until the final galaxy conquest sprint.

For most factions the bottom tree is honestly the most important because more planets is more space for bodies and more pop is always better.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

For most factions the bottom tree is honestly the most important because more planets is more space for bodies and more pop is always better.

It depends.

Horatio can keep the Ecologists for a long time and won't need bottom tree badly. Cravers don't need to do very much colonizing; they're aggro from the get-go by default. Unfallen can go wide instead of tall because they can eat a really ridiculous amount of overexpansion without suffering for it.

Lumeris and Vodyani really have to make the most of the limited systems they can colonize because of their respective colonization gimmicks, so bottom tree is more important for them.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
My first game as Mezari on default settings and normal difficulty was trivially easy, so I started the next game on hard, set the game speed to 450 turns, and am playing the Broken Lords. I'm having a hell of a time getting any dust. It costs so much dust to heal my troops that I can't buy population in cities, and the necrophages are continuously sieging me and draining me even further. I don't know how to do it. I prioritize anything that increases my dust flow, but it just isn't enough.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

are you putting broken lords heroes in your cities? setting up trade routes? i got so much money in my broken lords game i could buy a citizen and a district for each of my 7 cities every turn once i got going

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
An early brawl with the Necrophages really sucks for Broken Lords because it means you have to focus largely on keeping your troops healed to hold the bugs at bay, which means you can't build up your empire infrastructure for poo poo. The same is kind of true for any enemy faction, but the Necrophages in particular just do not have any chill and are unlikely to concede to a truce unless you're about to stomp them.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, with early neighborhood conflicts in EL you're best to just say 'gently caress it' and go full-out warmonger, from unit production to tech choices to exploration patterns, until you eat that bastard and assimilate his cities. Trying to play standard after first hostile contact usually isn't worth the grief.

Edit: Broken lord's early game is incredibly skint, it's just what they are. Conversely, a fully blown lategame purchase economy is pretty OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Serephina posted:

Yea, with early neighborhood conflicts in EL you're best to just say 'gently caress it' and go full-out warmonger, from unit production to tech choices to exploration patterns, until you eat that bastard and assimilate his cities. Trying to play standard after first hostile contact usually isn't worth the grief.

Edit: Broken lord's early game is incredibly skint, it's just what they are. Conversely, a fully blown lategame purchase economy is pretty OP.

Yeah, thats what happened. Next game I started next to Roving Clans and the Drakken, now its just me on one continent and the Necrophages on the other. This is on Hard, and it wasn't really challenging at all. I've been afraid to ask this, but is the AI in this game... bad?

I still have the annoying quest that makes strategic resources cost more for units, the quest thats competitive. Its in Necrophage territory and they aren't bothering to complete the quest. Its making my units really expensive.