Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

When I was a kid, my dad would just go to the cool hardware store that served popcorn and you could just pick up a couple of wooden pallets for free. It was next to a bin full of broken pallets and weird off-cuts from their lumber. We'd just burn it, but sometimes he'd use it to patch up the fence on the side of the house that only the lovely neighbours could see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah hardware stores don't really do that anymore, so I have no idea where these weirdos are getting their pallets.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
How the gently caress aren't you guys dead from pallet fire smoke?

I've stopped a couple of Pinterested people from making pallet furniture for their kids because of how much poo poo they treat the wood with.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You should do your best to not breathe any smoke because it's all bad for you. I only really worry about treated wood for cooking fires.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah hardware stores don't really do that anymore, so I have no idea where these weirdos are getting their pallets.

I used to work for a firework wholesaler/retailer that would ship to those tents and temporary stands you see in parking lots. The unofficial stance on pallets we sent out was just 'leave them somewhere and people will come steal them at night, and if for some reason that doesn't happen I guess we can ship them back after the season'

We never got any back to my knowledge.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Saint Freak posted:

I used to work for a firework wholesaler/retailer that would ship to those tents and temporary stands you see in parking lots. The unofficial stance on pallets we sent out was just 'leave them somewhere and people will come steal them at night, and if for some reason that doesn't happen I guess we can ship them back after the season'

We never got any back to my knowledge.

If you really want pallets, just go to any industrial park, there'll be enormous piles of them that they'll eventually just pay someone to get rid of.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

How the gently caress aren't you guys dead from pallet fire smoke?

I've stopped a couple of Pinterested people from making pallet furniture for their kids because of how much poo poo they treat the wood with.

I'm pretty sure EUR pallets are all just heat-treated. In the US I'm sure they'll have every toxic chemical treatment available of course.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Here's how you protect your pallets, by the way:

http://i.imgur.com/WXrfIsG.mp4

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'm pretty sure EUR pallets are all just heat-treated. In the US I'm sure they'll have every toxic chemical treatment available of course.

Nope, you usually have to pay extra for any kind of treatment. I used to work with a guy who made small tables, shelves and poo poo out of old pallet wood. Sometimes they are made out of nice hardwood offcuts or such. He didn't have a car and was forever calling me to bring my truck to pick him and some pallets up.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I know an old guy who makes some extra cash by collecting heavy-duty oak pallets (he won't reveal his source), carefully disassembling them, and then selling the blocks to wood carvers.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CommonShore posted:

I know an old guy who makes some extra cash by collecting heavy-duty oak pallets (he won't reveal his source), carefully disassembling them, and then selling the blocks to wood carvers.

They're not actually wood carvers, that's just a front for their pallet-building business.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Jesus. It's like the water cycle but for pallets.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CzarChasm posted:

:confused:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Years ago my dad ran a business where he'd drive around and pick up unwanted pallets, take them to his shop and repair them, then sell them to people who needed "new" ones.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Light Gun Man posted:

Years ago my dad ran a business where he'd drive around and pick up unwanted pallets, take them to his shop and repair them, then sell them to people who needed "new" ones.

That's a very common business model.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Jerry Cotton posted:

That's a very common business model.

Yeah there were like rival dudes-with-trucks doing the same poo poo and everything.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Light Gun Man posted:

That's a fencing racket. Congrats on being low-rent mobsters.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

Uhh I think you'll find fencing is done with swords not rackets.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Wasabi the J posted:

Seemed legit enough to me, I dunno. Whatever, I was like 12.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I think you missed that he was selling to different companies that needed pallets, it's not like he was a glazier going around with a handful of rocks

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Sentient Data posted:

I think you missed that he was selling to different companies that needed pallets, it's not like he was a glazier going around with a handful of rocks

"Hey Dad, isn't taking these stealing?"

"Nah son they just didn't want them anymore. I'm selling giving them to people in need!"

"Ok, goodnight Santa."

Y'all some straight up Cindy Lou Who motherfuckers in here.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Honestly, isn't most peoples fathers and uncles involved in a little somethings shady on the side? Or is this my white trash heritage talking?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
No uncles be shady af

Reason is, straightup dads won't admit to their shady poo poo to their kids, but they'll happily rat out their uncles the two faced rat bastards

Karate Bastard has a new favorite as of 12:06 on Jun 30, 2017

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

whiteyfats posted:

Honestly, isn't most peoples fathers and uncles involved in a little somethings shady on the side? Or is this my white trash heritage talking?

My dad programmed COBOL and my uncle was also a drunk.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

whiteyfats posted:

I wish, my dad is practically Hank Hill

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Jerry Cotton posted:

My dad programmed COBOL and my uncle was also a drunk.

COBOL programming is indeed shady af

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, drat.

Guess poor people just live shadier lives.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Warbird posted:

COBOL programming is indeed shady af

He held municipal office and all.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I wish I could get some pallets now. I used to run an a/c business so I had too many to get rid off at one stage. I built a workbench out of some, being thin wood not a proper bench, just for potting plants/gardening and with a shelf below for storing empty seedling pots and fertilizer etc.
Right now if I had some I would build a bed out of some as I need something that takes up less room than a proper bed or is at least easy to take apart. (only need it for a month or two)
E: hard to get pallets here unless imported. I'm sure everyone has heard of chep.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

CzarChasm posted:

Lifehack: permanently remove them from the cycle.

The fire department came to watch. Not to put it out or anything, just to acknowledge like yes, that is a bonfire.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
You'd better have tossed them a couple beers and some hot dogs

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
They declined. Bunch a goody-goodies.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Imagining a career in drunken firefighting atm

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

NPRs Planet Money did an episode on pallets and the pallet econony. It's surprisingly interesting.

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2014/06/11/320642426/episode-454-the-blue-pallet

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Man I remember those drat blue pallets. I think we would just leave those.

Wasabi the J posted:

"Hey Dad, isn't taking these stealing?"

"Nah son they just didn't want them anymore. I'm selling giving them to people in need!"

"Ok, goodnight Santa."

Y'all some straight up Cindy Lou Who motherfuckers in here.

It's not like we were heisting the drat things. He'd work out agreements with the owners of warehouses and factories and poo poo and they'd leave them out somewhere (or some places would even load them onto the trailer for us, how nice). The people buying the new ones knew they were rebuilt. I'm not sure where exactly any step of this is illegal but whatever. It's not like he wouldn't tell people what he did for a job, everyone knew.

Light Gun Man has a new favorite as of 17:02 on Jun 30, 2017

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Light Gun Man posted:

It's not like we were heisting the drat things. He'd work out agreements with the owners of warehouses and factories and poo poo and they'd leave them out somewhere (or some places would even load them onto the trailer for us, how nice). The people buying the new ones knew they were rebuilt. I'm not sure where exactly any step of this is illegal but whatever. It's not like he wouldn't tell people what he did for a job, everyone knew.
Sometimes pallets are rented and sometimes people who don't actually own them sell them, and then the companies end up paying rent on a pallet they no longer have forever. Your father may or may not have knowingly bought stolen pallets. :shrug:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Tiggum posted:

Sometimes pallets are rented and sometimes people who don't actually own them sell them, and then the companies end up paying rent on a pallet they no longer have forever. Your father may or may not have knowingly bought stolen pallets. :shrug:

oh no :geno:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

whiteyfats posted:

Well, drat.

Guess poor people just live shadier lives.

When the kid's got to eat and the rent's got to be paid you find ways.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

When the kid's got to eat and the rent's got to be paid you find ways.

Lifehack: Sell your children for rent money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
I think some people don't realise that there are two types of pallets. One tends to be higher quality and gets reused over and over again, and the other type is called like a one way pallet or something. I work in an equipment rental shop, and everything I've ever seen ordered has come in on a disposable pallet that doesn't get sent back. They pile up in the yard until there's enough for a recycling trip, or the ones that aren't falling apart already get used to store something else. I could go down right now and get like two dozen pallets and my boss would be relieved because then he wouldn't have to pay to get rid of them.