Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

sum posted:

I try to drop at the farthest high-loot-density area from the flight path because I'm a tryhard who doesn't like getting immediately merked after dropping

If you were a real tryhard you'd drop school/base until you were the one merking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Anyone got a .ini tweak to disable SSAO? Don't mind the DOF/HDR/Bloom but if I set post-processing above Very Low I can see SSAO coming into play and I know I'm losing 20FPS to that fake shadows poo poo.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Helter Skelter posted:

I keep AA at ultra, post-processing at very low (eliminates blurriness), view distance at medium (view distance doesn't affect render distance of players), shadows/effects/foliage at very low for performance, and textures at ultra because I can.

Quoting for later. bold is good and exciting news.

Dyz posted:

If you were a real tryhard you'd drop school/base until you were the one merking.

I've been toying with trying to math out the best flight paths to be the first one on target but it's hard so I go for "target is perpendicular to flight path from me" for minimum distance/maximum time dropping at speed. It's all about getting low fast so you can land on a gun first.

Does the -allcores or whatever do anything? How do I see my FPS?

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jun 30, 2017

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Nevvy Z posted:

-useallavailablecores does work in that it's a valid switch, but jury's out on whether or not it makes any kind of actual performance difference (I kinda doubt it, but if you wanna test for yourself, go nuts). The steam overlay has an FPS counter you can enable.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

96 spacejam posted:

With this patch does anyone know if the video settings recommendations in the OP are still valid? I could run everything on Ultra but current at:

Full Screen
AA = Med
Post = Med
Shadows = Very Low
Textures = Ultra
Effects = Low
Foliage = Low
View = Ultra

Launch Options = -memalloc=system -useallavailablecores

Try these settings if you have an nVidia card: http://www.144hzmonitors.com/games/best-settings-for-pubg-playerunknowns-battlegrounds/

I suggest this be put in the 1st post since so many people have said it works for them.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jubjub64 posted:

Try these settings if you have an nVidia card: http://www.144hzmonitors.com/games/best-settings-for-pubg-playerunknowns-battlegrounds/

I suggest this be put in the 1st post since so many people have said it works for them.

You do know that -sm4 hasn't worked in like two patches right? PU is very adamant about removing that functionality completely.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I haven't had a chance to play since the new patch dropped. How do sunsets look? I'm assuming there are longer shadows to take advantage of? I'm also guessing clear skies is the same as partly cloudy or whatever the default is.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

CascadeBeta posted:

I haven't had a chance to play since the new patch dropped. How do sunsets look? I'm assuming there are longer shadows to take advantage of? I'm also guessing clear skies is the same as partly cloudy or whatever the default is.

I was playing duos with a goon last night and we commented on how despite all our games we hadn't seen a sunset yet. We then queued up and were placed in a sunset game. It looks real pretty.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I really like this game but I'm soooo bad at it. Played 6 games last night and managed one kill.

Right after landing, me and another person walk into opposite sides of a warehouse at the military base. There is an AK in front of me, and a back pack in front of him. So I can keep an eye on him I try to hit F to pick poo poo up instead of pulling up my inventory and drag dropping. I end up picking up the gun, bandages, and a choke, but I can't seem to pick up the loving ammo! The dude at the other end of the warehouse had enough time to pick up the backpack, run across the warehouse and snag the ammo before I could. He then punched me to death.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

fishing with the fam posted:

I really like this game but I'm soooo bad at it. Played 6 games last night and managed one kill.

Right after landing, me and another person walk into opposite sides of a warehouse at the military base. There is an AK in front of me, and a back pack in front of him. So I can keep an eye on him I try to hit F to pick poo poo up instead of pulling up my inventory and drag dropping. I end up picking up the gun, bandages, and a choke, but I can't seem to pick up the loving ammo! The dude at the other end of the warehouse had enough time to pick up the backpack, run across the warehouse and snag the ammo before I could. He then punched me to death.

:pubg:

Someone please make this a reality please.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ice Fist posted:

:pubg:

Someone please make this a reality please.

It's just :f5: but pretend he's hitting F.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

It's just :f5: but pretend he's hitting F.

Just lol if you didn't rebind that to E.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Gildiss posted:

What do you use to lean right?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

emanresu tnuocca posted:

What do you use to lean right?

I never lean. Just burst out full sprint straight at the enemy roaring like a lion the whole time.
It almost worked last night.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
new patch gave me a significant framerate boost and i'm digging the new weather/time of day thing too. havent tried any of the new weapons yet but this game has been quite good for a early access 30 dollar game

SafetyTrain
Nov 26, 2012

Bringing a knife to a bear fight
Finally tasted that chicken dinner.

3 of those kills were by car. I drifted my way to the top.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

new patch gave me a significant framerate boost

yeah, both the frame rate and the early-game lag seem dramatically improved in this patch. i've seen very few janky doors/slow pickups right after landing.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Lost all my teammates in a 4 man, went on a suicide run in a Dacia and managed to get 5 car kills :3

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Helter Skelter posted:

I keep AA at ultra, post-processing at very low (eliminates blurriness), view distance at medium (view distance doesn't affect render distance of players), shadows/effects/foliage at very low for performance, and textures at ultra because I can.

-memalloc/-malloc doesn't do anything. It is not a valid UE4 command line switch.

Post processing makes everything blurry when you zoom in, its a massive performance hit for me

I was ridiculously far from georgepol and turned view distance from very low to low and watched the bridge pop in impossibly far away to ever matter if someone was over there or not and thought yup, don't ever need to go higher than low or very low. You can still spot people without scopes just as easily on those settings, I'd argue even easier since it does't draw other foliage and things to block them.

AA: Ultra
Everything else very low except textures medium and effects medium. When my friend and I lan and he is running everything on ultra we see guys/packages much easier with foliage etc on very low on my screen. I go back and forth on having textures on very low vs medium. Sometimes it seems easier to pick someone out against actual textures set on medium, sometimes its REALLY easy to see someone against a nothing texture.

These nvidia changes in the control panel by far were the biggest changes for me. The one part I didn't screen grab which seems to make a MASSIVE difference is setting your pre-rendered frames to 1. Its one menu item above whats pictured here:

(Make sure you're specifically changing just the program player unknown as seen in the screenshot, not everything. I spent hours upon hours messing with settings and this is the best I came up with on my medium-low end system)

Gildiss posted:

I never lean. Just burst out full sprint straight at the enemy roaring like a lion the whole time.
It almost worked last night.

lol. I didn't lean ever until people started stacking on corners with one guy crouch leaning and the other guy standing and leaning. At some point you have to give in and join them. Or just become a master at throwables. 200 games means you've spent 5 hours in lobby... 5 sweet sweet hours of throwing practice. 2 seconds on an arc to get it to explode when it lands, 3 seconds to explode in air, 4 seconds to explode halfway through the air, 5 seconds to explode just past your body.

4 teammates throwing smokes on the count of 2-3 up a hill at a group is hilarious. Spamming all your grenades towards a position and running away is also a Very Strong move

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 30, 2017

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Nevvy Z posted:

Quoting for later. bold is good and exciting news.

I've been toying with trying to math out the best flight paths to be the first one on target but it's hard so I go for "target is perpendicular to flight path from me" for minimum distance/maximum time dropping at speed. It's all about getting low fast so you can land on a gun first.

~2-3 squares away is when I jump. I just line the wing up with my marker and jump unless its on the flight path.

quote:

lol. I didn't lean ever until people started stacking on corners with one guy crouch leaning and the other guy standing and leaning. At some point you have to give in and join them. Or just become a master at throwables. 200 games means you've spent 5 hours in lobby... 5 sweet sweet hours of throwing practice. 2 seconds on an arc to get it to explode when it lands, 3 seconds to explode in air, 4 seconds to explode halfway through the air, 5 seconds to explode just past your body.

This is after your character pulls the pin (makes the noise), right?

Dyz fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 30, 2017

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Asema posted:

You do know that -sm4 hasn't worked in like two patches right? PU is very adamant about removing that functionality completely.

Those aren't the settings I'm referring to. Do the nVidia specific ones.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

So something I've noticed is how little other people use the various grenades- smokes and stun grenades in particular. I regularly see teammates flat out skipping them when looting which I think is interesting considering how useful they are, especially in the end game.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I might be missing something about them, but I don't like stun grenades at all, it's pretty hard to know whether or not they worked and if you assume they did and they didn't then there's a good chance you'll be dead. I've killed more than one dude who tossed a stun grenade then ran to me.

Smoke grenades on the other hand are pretty useful.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

stun grenades are for crashing the other guy's potato.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Stun grenades are criminally good. They're pretty much the one stop counter to people camping doors and stairs that no one ever uses.

7 Seconds blind and 9 seconds deaf? Yes please.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Dyz posted:

~2-3 squares away is when I jump. I just line the wing up with my marker and jump unless its on the flight path.

This is after your character pulls the pin (makes the noise), right?

yea just run to the tables that have 2x molotovs, smokes and grenades. The smokes are the best for practice because you immediately see where they explode. I don't enjoy shooting the different guns without scopes at all but I have a blast throwing grenades around! Also mess with left and right click so you understand how to throw underhand vs overhand

On a ~45 degree throw

0 pull pin (click), throw it'll take 1-2 seconds to explode once it lands. The "tink tink" sound is good for making people move from cover
1 second in: throw now and it'll land and explode after a second, people have to be either behind a tree and unable to move or dumb and ignore for this to get them, usually.
2 seconds: explode on landing. this is the money throw
3 seconds: explode in air
4 seconds: explode halfway through the air
5 seconds: it'll either explode 10 feet from you or depending on your count actually on you

The reason I lay it out second by second is you want to decide before you throw a smoke where you want it to ignite, otherwise like molotovs you give away your position.

You can get your 5 seconds of counting down pretty quickly if you grab a smoke grenade, pull the pin and look straight up. Click..1...2...3...4...5THROW and it will blow up halfway up

As far as usage in game goes, I read a goon a long time ago say "if you can hit them with a smoke/molotov/stun you can hit them with a frag" and that is the best advice you can get. Frags I pick up every game, Molotovs just because I think they are fun but are absolutely the worst as far as giving your position away (heres a nice flaming line to me you're welcome!), smokes if I'm going to have fun later and spam them or at least 1 for worst case revive scenarios, stuns: never. I just haven't been able to use stuns effectively and end up dropping them for extra gun stuff for my friends. I think they will be REALLY good once I figure out how to use them in houses but where I'm at now I can't pull it off. Someone post a clip of them wrecking guys camping houses with them so I can learn the angles, otherwise I'll stick to nades and a shotgun/uzi while my friend covers windows which seems to be working just fine

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 30, 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fans posted:

Stun grenades are criminally good. They're pretty much the one stop counter to people camping doors and stairs that no one ever uses.

7 Seconds blind and 9 seconds deaf? Yes please.

I have had a stun grenade hit my character in the face and land at my feet and my gamma went up a little bit, there wasn't even an aural component.

Not saying they're completely useless, but I don't trust them to do what they're supposed to.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Oh wait ignore everything I said in that post and remember to not bring a grenade to a gunfight. Dying with your arm back in a throwing motion because you got flanked or weren't in cover is never fun. Unless you're vastly outnumbered and not confident in your ability to clutch out a bad situation and hope that they'll loot your grenade primed body. That is Next Level grenade use but I can't teach that here

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

As far as usage in game goes, I read a goon a long time ago say "if you can hit them with a smoke/molotov/stun you can hit them with a frag" and that is the best advice you can get.

That's pretty much how I see stun grenades as well. Every time I think "I could toss a stun" I throw a frag instead. Plus you get to know whether it hit or not and you don't die horribly in the process. Stuff like:

Fans posted:

Don't work at all when people are camping things taking LOS in consideration as they should because someone might throw a frag grenade anytime soon. And if they don't, you throw a frag grenade and kill them.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
The only time Molotovs are good is for people behind trees, as with a frag they can move to the side for a split second and then back behind a tree. Smokes have plenty of uses, but Stun Grenades are worthless. What does a Stun Grenade do that a Frag doesn't do better?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Cinara posted:

The only time Molotovs are good is for people behind trees, as with a frag they can move to the side for a split second and then back behind a tree. Smokes have plenty of uses, but Stun Grenades are worthless. What does a Stun Grenade do that a Frag doesn't do better?

Even then if anyone on their squad didn't have eyes on you they sure as hell do now. Stuns get your teammates inadvertently killed so you aren't 100% the reason they died?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

For what it's worth I tend to throw frags before stuns. However if I don't have any frags stuns are a worthwhile option. They're especially good at flushing people out of cover

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Stuns get your teammates inadvertently killed so you aren't 100% the reason they died?

Good point! You can Stun Grenade a teammate and they won't see a message that you are the one that killed them.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Cinara posted:

I tried to huck a molly thru an open window last night. It froze on the sill, and randomly burst on me as though i never threw it

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Got my first solo win!

And then the stats didn't record it :argh:

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

cougar cub posted:

Got my first solo win!

And then the stats didn't record it :argh:

I think there is a delay on the stats sometimes. I had a 275m+ kill a few nights ago, but it didn't pop-up in my stats until sometime the next day.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

What's the deal with crates? I always get reset to the 1st one @ 700. Sometimes I can get the 2nd one @ 1,400 but never past that. Do they just reset or not go past 2? I have 3K+ credits or whatever right now and I can only get the 700 crate. Not really a big deal just curious cause I love hats.

edit: nvm. Just saw on their FAQ that they reset weekly. Doesn't say what day though. Anyone know?

96 spacejam fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 30, 2017

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

1st Pioneer Crate: 700 BP
2nd Pioneer Crate: 1400 BP
3rd Pioneer Crate: 2800 BP
4th Pioneer Crate: 4200 BP
5th Pioneer Crate: 5600 BP
6th and subsequent Pioneer Crates: 7000 BP

They reset Sunday at 8pm EST. They are all the same though, so past a certain point you should just save up for next week or whenever they have new poo poo to spend points on.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

sleppy posted:

1st Pioneer Crate: 700 BP
2nd Pioneer Crate: 1400 BP
3rd Pioneer Crate: 2800 BP
4th Pioneer Crate: 4200 BP
5th Pioneer Crate: 5600 BP
6th and subsequent Pioneer Crates: 7000 BP

They reset Sunday at 8pm EST. They are all the same though, so past a certain point you should just save up for next week or whenever they have new poo poo to spend points on.

Good to know, thanks. So you can save for the next week? Your earned credits don't reset at all? Just want clarification on that before I go HAM on crates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Gildiss posted:

I bound it to H.

(I did that because I mouse left-handed, so I use IJKL.)

Also thanks for the info on crates, good to know I can casual play and not get priced out of crates forever.

• Locked thread