Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Crosspeice posted:

I think part of that is due to how RSE is a really old game, so there's been plenty of time to accept it into the long term memory, through the anime, the remake, with how many times you played it, especially as a kid. Whereas XY came out only 4 years ago, came out when you were much older so you didn't dedicate enough time to it as you had a lot of other things to do in life. Not only that, but how many times have you played it? Once? Maybe twice? Now part of this can be because the games aren't too memorable, you can definitely remember SM a lot more, but that's probably because you played them, like, six months ago. Would you be able to say the same in another 5 years?

Even if I don't really replay video games as much as I used to and I doubt I'll replay SM as much as other titles, i'm pretty sure I will remember it. Because it is very good and fun and the best overall pokemon game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Star Man posted:

I mean, they also had new forms for Zygarde planned and featured in a movie but just rolled it into generation seven instead of coming out with a version Z.

More than that, Zygarde was a main character in the anime season literally called XY&Z.

Shame we didn't get a third version though, because that game really felt rushed at places. Also Team Flare is a dark mirror of Kalos themes and they really should have played it up a bit more

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Can you imagine the Zygarde cell sidequest in Gen 6? I have no idea how they could incorporate that into X and Y's plot and still be coherent.

Game Freak really has it out for their Ground/Dragon types:

Zygarde didn't get his own game and its special gimmick was pushed into the next generation of games.

Garchomp got a Mega Evolution that was inferior to its base form.

Flygon didn't get a Mega Evolution at all.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Flygon has Dragon Dance now, eh? Ehhh???

... I don't think Dragon Dance really helps it, but it has it now! Yay.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Dragon Dance absolutely helps Flygon

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Is there anything that DDance doesn't help?

I think the only Pokemon who doesn't care is Tropius, and that's just because it's spectacularly garbage.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

PMush Perfect posted:

Is there anything that DDance doesn't help?

I think the only Pokemon who doesn't care is Tropius, and that's just because it's spectacularly garbage.

HOTBANANA is a beautiful Pokémon and I will not stand for this

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Star Man posted:

HOTBANANA is a beautiful Pokémon and I will not stand for this
Oh, it's beautiful, and I'll use one as my DPPt HM slave until the day I die.

It's just bad.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

People complain that Flygon didn't get a mega but the real tragedy is that Tropius didn't get one.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
No, the real tragedy is that Slowking didn't get a mega evolution.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
my Tropius theory is that the real Pokémon is the bananas and the dinosaur is just an accessory, like Dhelmise and Parasect and such

thanks for listening, please like, comment and subscribe

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

less laughter posted:

my Tropius theory is that the real Pokémon is the bananas and the dinosaur is just an accessory, like Dhelmise and Parasect and such

your theory is wrong, because other pokemon eat the bananas and that would kill it if tropius were the bananas

similarly tropius's leaves aren't the pokemon either because :420::420::420:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I nearly forgot about my good boy HOTBANANA. :)

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I don't know why the original HOTBANANA creator went with Tropius, but it was an inspired choice.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Star Man posted:

:yeah:

less laughter posted:

There's the same theory for komala too. It's a stretch but follow the beliefs of your heart.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Star Man posted:

That's because when Pokéfusion gets introduced next gen, were getting Slowkingler. The Shellder on its head becomes a crab

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Give Mr. Mime a Mega Evo

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Hammerite posted:

SM ditching gyms in favour of the island challenge makes it pretty fresh and imo it will prove to be one of the more memorable titles in the series

I really didn't like that Kukui convinced the whole region to essentially give up their traditions by the end to be more in line with the other regions though. I feel like a few years after the story ends, they'll have given up on the trials and kahunas (kahuna?) entirely.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Alola should definitely abolish its worst tradition: unskippable cutscenes

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

Give Mr. Mime a Mega Evo

There's no change in appearance or stats, all the Mega Evolution does is let it talk.

Mr. Mime can now use Echoed Voice, and it does max damage every attack.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want Alolan Qwilfish. It's Qwilfish but now it's a different color.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I have mixed feelings about the trials, the totems as boss battles part was neat, the "go around taking photos or chasing rattata" were kind of dumb though, would have preffered more trainer battling.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Hustlin Floh posted:

I want Alolan Qwilfish. It's Qwilfish but now it's a different color.

Mareanie is Alolan Qwilfish

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Momomo posted:

I really didn't like that Kukui convinced the whole region to essentially give up their traditions by the end to be more in line with the other regions though. I feel like a few years after the story ends, they'll have given up on the trials and kahunas (kahuna?) entirely.

Wasn't it like a thing that the island challenge will be unchanged it'll just end with the Elite 4 now?

Avalerion posted:

I have mixed feelings about the trials, the totems as boss battles part was neat, the "go around taking photos or chasing rattata" were kind of dumb though, would have preffered more trainer battling.

Chasing Rattata and taking photos only happen once. The trials were all either quick minigames or interesting scenarios to change the pace a bit and while some were certainly better than others I enjoyed them quite a bit. They gave the trial captains more character and were generally more fun than gym puzzles imo. The games could have used some more challenging trainer battles though, but I don't think that's something more fights would've fixed.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Zoran posted:

I don't know why the original HOTBANANA creator went with Tropius, but it was an inspired choice.

Ooh, i know this one actually! Tropius has access to Sweet Scent, Fly, and a couple of wide moves (razor leaf, eq), which made it an exceptional EV trainer. That's what I used it for throughout gen 6.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i looked up what a hot banana is and apparently it's when you open a banana and there's a dog dingdong inside

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Wasn't it like a thing that the island challenge will be unchanged it'll just end with the Elite 4 now?

I remember each of the towns that had a trial near it also had a building in construction, and there were eight of them. It really feels like he pushed for the gyms.

Also I didn't like that he convinced two of the kahunas to give up the role a god gave them to stand in a room waiting for people all day. Acerola was fine, but Olivia and Hala really should've been new characters, like Kahili.

Also, Tropius is a top tier pokemon and I will not hear a bad word about him.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

oddium posted:

i looked up what a hot banana is and apparently it's when you open a banana and there's a dog dingdong inside

Please don't post my private nudes on a public forum tyvm

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The trials were all either quick minigames or interesting scenarios to change the pace a bit and while some were certainly better than others I enjoyed them quite a bit.

Which one did you think was interesting? :confused:

The one I actually liked was the fire one, that one was at least funny. :D

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Momomo posted:

Also I didn't like that he convinced two of the kahunas to give up the role a god gave them to stand in a room waiting for people all day. Acerola was fine, but Olivia and Hala really should've been new characters, like Kahili.

They didn't though. They're still Kahunas, it's just that they have a second job now as Elite Four as well.

The Alolan traditions are still what they are, but with the addition of a Pokemon League. I don't think at any point Kukui wanted to just smash every tradition of Alola and turn the most original Pokemon region into the same poo poo we've played for 20 years. Guzma was the extreme one who hated the past, Kukui just wanted to properly move forward, add to what's already there. And while Guzma is my boy and the best, we aren't meant to sympathize with him on that.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Magikarp Jump got a new update this morning. Aside from adding the usual stuff (new league, food items, training, events, buddies, and decorations), they also greatly sped up game animation in general. So things like clicking through all of the treasure balls in your pond or skipping all the league re-fights take far less time than before. You can also skip training and event animations, and just cut to the end result or final choice.

I'm sure the other 1 or 2 people in this thread that actually play it will be excited.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I hope the buildings under construction aren't gyms but something else instead. I think Alola should keep its island challenges

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Plot twist, they're for the Alolan branch of the PWT.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

PMush Perfect posted:

Nah, it's Pokewood Studios: Alola

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Alolan contests, now with a Z Move dancing section.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Avalerion posted:

Which one did you think was interesting? :confused:

The one I actually liked was the fire one, that one was at least funny. :D

Ghost and Water. Grass was ok too because of the cooking lessons.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

PMush Perfect posted:

Senerio posted:

Nah, it's Pokewood Studios: Alola

Haifisch posted:

Alolan contests, now with a Z Move dancing section.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF7kkO1oyqI

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

TheKingofSprings posted:

ORAS is the only mainline Pokemon game I have quit partway through and never finished

It's not v. good

This was Diamond, for me. From the time I arrived at diamond's E4 to the time I became the champion, I beat HG, B, B2, X, Y, and possibly AS and completed my living Pokedex. Now I've sort of done the same with Pt. Need to level my dudes to take on the weird dimension with Giratina so I traded them to HG and then... stopped.

Gen IV is not good.

Blaze Dragon posted:

while Guzma is my boy and the best,
I think you'll find, friend, that Guzma is *my* boy.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I've played Y a whole bunch of times to get more Master Balls and the birds for OR. Every time, I find something new that feels half-assed, lazy, voting or generally hateable. The games get worse the more you play them. I still need more Master Balls and my Zapdos is suboptimal, but I don't think I want to get more. Y can gently caress right off and stay hosed right off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
Every time I want to nitpick at S/M I remember that they got rid of HMs and the need for HM slaves.