Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

quote:

OnePlus says ‘jelly’ scrolling effect on OnePlus 5 is normal - The Verge

[–]domosicecreamOnePlus 3| VertexOS 38 points 3 hours ago
They saying it's normal because it's a hardware issue, the display is mounted 180°. If they admitted it, there would be a huge backlash and would probably have to recall all the phones.

[–]shorty6049Nexus 6p/Pixel C/Moto 360 13 points 3 hours ago
What do you mean by "the display is mounted 180°" ? Like they accidentally put the screens on upside down or something?

[–]livedadevilS8+ Snapdragon / Oneplus 3 19 points 3 hours ago
Yes. Turn your phone upside down and scroll, things squish and stretch (my S8 plus does) which means that one plus hosed up manufacturing and actually mounted the displays wrong on some units

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
:discourse:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

why would the orientation of the panel matter?

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Cocoa Crispies posted:

um...anroid?

even the mostly barely awful fridges go through basic q/a before hitting aliexpress

don't try to find logic in the systematic incompetance that is any company producing google phones

their ambitions are to not hit a dumpster before two months have passed

but assuming that plan has failed they instead roll things over to tizen and throw another fridge towards the aisles at best buy

SArnSUNG!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Cocoa Crispies posted:

it doesn't. this is complete nonsense. displays don't get mounted upside down. they don't even have an upside down, the scan direction is reversible. what this person is seeing is probably just lag in the touch response that gives it the rubber band effect

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

the ribbon cable or whatever that connects the screen to the motherboard isn't gonna have enough play to allow a screen to be mounted in more than one orientation either

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Bulgakov posted:

um...anroid?

lmao

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Bulgakov posted:

um...anroid?

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

The Management posted:

it doesn't. this is complete nonsense. displays don't get mounted upside down. they don't even have an upside down, the scan direction is reversible. what this person is seeing is probably just lag in the touch response that gives it the rubber band effect

It might just be power of suggestion, but I definitely see something similar when scrolling on a pixel that's upside down. Presumably it's not the actual AMOLED module being mounted upside down, but something a little more subtle elsewhere in the chain.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

tried it on my iphone, scrolling is still 100% perfect like always.

how is it even possible not to have 60fps scrolling, windows 95 had it on a pentium 1 with 64mb of RAM and no hardware accel. what's googles excuse?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

what's googles excuse?

anroid

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
could it be some weird trick of the sub pixel anti aliasing assuming a certain sub pixel ordering and looking "off" if it was the other way around?
like how you used to have to configure cleartype for RGB or RBG

especially if they are still using cheap screens with the scam where they have 2 logical pixels sharing 4 sib pixels

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

~Coxy posted:

could it be some weird trick of the sub pixel anti aliasing assuming a certain sub pixel ordering and looking "off" if it was the other way around?
like how you used to have to configure cleartype for RGB or RBG

especially if they are still using cheap screens with the scam where they have 2 logical pixels sharing 4 sib pixels

almost sounds believable but that'd result in color aberration with text, especially white on a black background. easily verified with a microscope as well.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
look up pentile

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

I know what a pentile is, but that still wouldn't explain why it only looks hosed up in motion. you still get color aberration with pentile displays, like the famous screen-door effect on those garbage samsung panels with the extra green pixels.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

DuckConference posted:

It might just be power of suggestion, but I definitely see something similar when scrolling on a pixel that's upside down. Presumably it's not the actual AMOLED module being mounted upside down, but something a little more subtle elsewhere in the chain.

perhaps the surface coating being a bit weird on some off angles (i.e. having some behavior "upwards" to avoid reflecting overhead lights too badly)? do you still think there is a difference if you lay it flat and look straight down at it?

all sounds super-weird though, but a bit too consistently reported to be easy to dismiss as nonsense outright

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

DuckConference posted:

what if the link between gpu and screen isn't fast enough to update the whole screen at once so it has to change row by row

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Cocoa Crispies posted:

what if the link between gpu and screen isn't fast enough to update the whole screen at once so it has to change row by row

who could be so incredibly, insanely cheap as to do such a thing

oh wait, anroid

lol

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Cocoa Crispies posted:

that would cause a tearing effect whenever something redraws in a translated offset

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

how is it even possible not to have 60fps scrolling, windows 95 had it on a pentium 1 with 64mb of RAM and no hardware accel. what's googles excuse?

lol no it didn't.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

anroid is a blackberry clone with touch still bolted on after all these years. i imagine google wants to replace anroid entirely, but google doesnt have the drive nor the coherence required to build something better

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

How do people remember dragging a window around really fast and maxing out your CPU load pre-vista?

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

How do people remember dragging a window around really fast and maxing out your CPU load pre-vista?

if u turn off aero you're pc will have more megahurtz!!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I just recently found out that whatever kernel an android device ships with, that's the version it stays with forever, through all OS upgrades.

what. the. gently caress.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

The Management posted:

I just recently found out that whatever kernel an android device ships with, that's the version it stays with forever, through all OS upgrades.

what. the. gently caress.

why would Qualcomm make more than one BSP when they can just make one and call it a day

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

that would cause a tearing effect whenever something redraws in a translated offset

the iPad 3 had a slight, but noticeable display lag that was similar to the rolling shutter effect seen on digital cameras. the LCD controller or whatever couldn't update the screen fast enough. so if you scrolled in landscape orientation stuff would get a slight rolling shutter trapezoidal effect like you see when panning quickly on a GoPro. or scrolling in portrait orientation would briefly give a slight squish/stretch effect.

for the anroid phone in question, its possible that rotating the device makes it fall off some optimized, direct framebuffer-to-screen drawing path, and having to go through the window compositor (so the screen contents can be rotated 180 degrees) introduces a noticeable lag. (as if anroid has an optimized drawing path :laugh:)

or maybe it's too slow to handle having to invert the touch input coordinates. :haw:

who cares tho because v:shobon:v anroid is bad v:shobon:v

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Doc Block posted:

the iPad 3 had a slight, but noticeable display lag that was similar to the rolling shutter effect seen on digital cameras. the LCD controller or whatever couldn't update the screen fast enough. so if you scrolled in landscape orientation stuff would get a slight rolling shutter trapezoidal effect like you see when panning quickly on a GoPro. or scrolling in portrait orientation would briefly give a slight squish/stretch effect.

for the anroid phone in question, its possible that rotating the device makes it fall off some optimized, direct framebuffer-to-screen drawing path, and having to go through the window compositor (so the screen contents can be rotated 180 degrees) introduces a noticeable lag. (as if anroid has an optimized drawing path :laugh:)

or maybe it's too slow to handle having to invert the touch input coordinates. :haw:

who cares tho because v:shobon:v anroid is bad v:shobon:v

I've used the iPad 3 for years and never experienced that. calling horse poo poo

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

surely Project Butter solved these issues long ag-ahahahahahaha

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Last Chance posted:

I've used the iPad 3 for years and never experienced that. calling horse poo poo

I own an iPad 3 as well. haven't used it in a while, but I definitely remember it having that problem. was especially noticeable when starting/stopping scrolling quickly or if you dragged your finger up & down real quick to make it abruptly change scrolling direction.

browsing YOSPOS made it more noticeable because of the straight lines on a black background.

edit: i just tested it, and yep, you can see it. open awful.app (or safari), and browse any thread in yospos in portrait orientation. you can easily see text etc. lagging behind the scrolling the further to the right you get, especially if you keep your finger on the screen.

IIRC many people commented on this when the iPad 3 was released. it being so underpowered (even for its time) is why the iPad 4 was released only a few months later.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 30, 2017

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

yeah i remember something similar. real subtle effect, but it was there

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Doc Block posted:

good catch that's probably what's happening with the upside down pixel

who knows what's wrong with the oppo phone though. Yesterday it was normal, today it's a software fix

EDIT: Yeah the oneplus refreshes bottom to top for some reason https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-5/how-to/960-fps-video-oneplus-5-display-t3629812

big shtick energy fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 1, 2017

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

The Management posted:

wrongo

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mishaq posted:

the ribbon cable or whatever that connects the screen to the motherboard isn't gonna have enough play to allow a screen to be mounted in more than one orientation either

the short version is that it's not that some are leaving the factory with a panel in one orientation while others are 180 degrees from that, it's that they sources the same panels as the previous phone but designed the phone such that the panel is 180 degrees from that.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
even the display wants to do a 180 away from an anroid

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

the short version is that it's not that some are leaving the factory with a panel in one orientation while others are 180 degrees from that, it's that they sources the same panels as the previous phone but designed the phone such that the panel is 180 degrees from that.

because the oppo R11 had the connector on the bottom, but they wanted to use the same screen as the one plus 3, which has the connector near the top

oppo, vivo, and one plus are owned by the same company, oppo and one plus share a building, and the one plus phones are built in an oppo factory

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Bobby Digital posted:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bobby Digital posted:

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Bobby Digital posted:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

I was but still ordered one lol.

I got the b1g1 s8 from TMobile. So paid $1638 for two s8 after tax. Sold one for $650, one for $600, got a rebate of $750, sold two gear VR for $50 and $75, and sold an entertainment kit for $45. Also got 18m of Netflix and still have two cases and a 64gb SD card left.

So came out with $2170 so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
et tu, don larp?