Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Death Note trailer.
Dafoe is insanely perfect. I'm stoked.

I'm getting more of a teen drama feeling out of Death Note than horror mystery (it's been a while since I read the manga that I never finished, never watched the anime), BUT there's another part of me that is starting to get interested. SO, I will give it a try, it might suck rear end or it might be a pleasant surprise, who knows!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Desperado Bones posted:

I'm getting more of a teen drama feeling out of Death Note than horror mystery (it's been a while since I read the manga that I never finished, never watched the anime), BUT there's another part of me that is starting to get interested. SO, I will give it a try, it might suck rear end or it might be a pleasant surprise, who knows!

Well, Death Note was a teen drama as much as it was a horror mystery. It spent a lot of time on the drama and interpersonal conflicts between the leads.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

ImpAtom posted:

Well, Death Note was a teen drama as much as it was a horror mystery. It spent a lot of time on the drama and interpersonal conflicts between the leads.

:newlol: Yeah, I don't remember much of the plot but the shinigami looking cool.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Mine replaces it with "snake person"

Yeah but then you need another filter for people complaining about actual snake people so you don't get them mixed up. Then where does it end?!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

basic hitler posted:

Generation is a useful concept but the pop sci baggage around them does indeed suck, but generations do tend to vary in culture and priority, and boomers were initially just notable for being the huge nimbers of children born during the post war economic boom. Millenial is used in a bunch of garbage ways but it is a generation of people and its the largest single generation of people. If you say nothing else about them then that's their most notable trait

What is it useful for

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

DeimosRising posted:

What is it useful for

Giving grumpy old persons something to yell about.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Antti posted:

I only know the premise and have never read the manga or watched the anime but this actually intrigues me because the idea is applied on a global scope. I always thought it was some silly horror movie, and they could've absolutely gone that way, but they're looking at the bigger picture and it's neat.

I'm a little disappointed they stuck with him killing organized crime, instead of just going straight to offing world leaders. I mean, no one gives a poo poo if a gang is wiped out, but having the entire political party's primary challengers dying publicly in the middle of a televised debate or having the entire majority party of Congress dying mysteriously after signing legislation would get some major attention.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Antti posted:

I only know the premise and have never read the manga or watched the anime but this actually intrigues me because the idea is applied on a global scope. I always thought it was some silly horror movie, and they could've absolutely gone that way, but they're looking at the bigger picture and it's neat.

I read it as a teen, and that's what the series always was. It was a kid who came across this power to kill someone, and used it in a way that was altruistically. Or at least he thought was altruistic. Mostly he targeted corrupt politicians and (I think) high profile con men. With a lot of plans inside plans to keep his identity a secret. Pretty much you read it because it's a high concept thriller where each chapter is about 'How will he get out of this situation?' And the answer is always, 'In an impossibly super smart way/he wanted to be put in the situation because it's all part of his plan.'

Then higher and higher levels of international police force, until they get the a super Autistic guy after him, and it becomes a game of cat and mouse, and then at some point the dude behind it either runs out of stream or forgets what the end goal of it was but point being, according to deviantart it was about four autistic dudes boning each other.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Shageletic posted:

Looking up the trailer for Falls, I saw that Michael Madsen was in it. Wondering what happened to him, I found this article: https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/5gkwe3/the-slow-star-death-of-michael-madsen-724

And most importantly, I found this trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4dl_4WLwqo

Whooooo that is amaaaazing

edit: ^^^ I"ve seen that trailer like 4 times now, and when I'm watching one that is boring, I just flip it to the Death Note one instead.

I want to say Madsen was doing meth by the time he was in Blackhawk Down (and if I read the above article I could probably put that together) but not back around Reservoir Dogs.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

syscall girl posted:

I want to say Madsen was doing meth by the time he was in Blackhawk Down (and if I read the above article I could probably put that together) but not back around Reservoir Dogs.

Michael Madsen wasn't in Black Hawk Down you are thinking of Tom Sizemore.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SimonCat posted:

Michael Madsen wasn't in Black Hawk Down you are thinking of Tom Sizemore.

Oh yeah.

e: which one of them did I do all that meth with then?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

syscall girl posted:

Oh yeah.

Either or both?

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Young Freud posted:

having the entire political party's primary challengers dying publicly in the middle of a televised debate or having the entire majority party of Congress dying mysteriously after signing legislation would get some major attention.

That might come off a little tone-deaf given recent events and the current climate of political rhetoric...

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SimonCat posted:

Either or both?

:sweatdrop:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Electromax posted:

That might come off a little tone-deaf given recent events and the current climate of political rhetoric...

Or perfectly apt.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

syscall girl posted:

Oh yeah.

Daniel Baldwin.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Davros1 posted:

Daniel Baldwin.

He messed up all my spoons.

One after another.

Why can't you re-use the spoon Daniel, I would say to him.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Skwirl posted:

Or perfectly apt.
Yeah, it'd be the exact opposite of tone-deaf. Not really Hollywood's thing to be any kind of radical though, except maybe radically status-quo.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

jumanji 2 looks pretty cool and it's kind of cool to think that it can be taken as a backdoor tabletop rpg adaptation but the only true D&D adaptation I need is Stranger Things, which is so on the nose about being one foot in spielberg, one foot in jumanji, and a hand in D&D already that im surprised it only gets lauded for being a solid nostalgia vehicle

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jumanji pisses me off because it looks like the laziest poo poo possible in every single way. Like there's not a single loving thing you can point to and say, "that's a genuinely creative twist on things."

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, it'd be the exact opposite of tone-deaf. Not really Hollywood's thing to be any kind of radical though, except maybe radically status-quo.

The idea in the original manga was that Light/Kira originally starts doing good using the Death Note by targeting organized criminals helping his police chief dad, then quickly goes off the rails thinking he's God and killing police and others trying to uncover him. There's no bigger enemy to most Americans in this political climate than Republicans, so changing Light's dad to a bureaucrat threatened by the administration or Democrat pol gives us some sympathy before his heel turn.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Young Freud posted:

The idea in the original manga was that Light/Kira originally starts doing good using the Death Note by targeting organized criminals helping his police chief dad, then quickly goes off the rails thinking he's God and killing police and others trying to uncover him. There's no bigger enemy to most Americans in this political climate than Republicans, so changing Light's dad to a bureaucrat threatened by the administration or Democrat pol gives us some sympathy before his heel turn.

I haven't read it but "he starts [out] doing good" by committing extra judicial executions of suspected criminals en masse? Seems...dubious

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

I haven't read it but "he starts [out] doing good" by committing extra judicial executions of suspected criminals en masse? Seems...dubious

The idea is that he targets criminals who are escaping justice, but it's not ever actually portrayed as a good thing within the story itself. There are people who think he's doing the right thing but the original story at least is very quick to make it clear that he's just a glorified murderer.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Needs a crossover with Punisher and Ghost Rider. Just for the duck of it in a sequel

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

ImpAtom posted:

The idea is that he targets criminals who are escaping justice, but it's not ever actually portrayed as a good thing within the story itself. There are people who think he's doing the right thing but the original story at least is very quick to make it clear that he's just a glorified murderer.

So he's magical Dexter?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gatts posted:

Needs a crossover with Punisher and Ghost Rider. Just for the duck of it in a sequel

That would be a quick crossover given that Punisher's identity of Frank Castle isn't secret and all that's needed to kill someone with a Death Note is their name and to know what they look like.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Detective No. 27 posted:

That would be a quick crossover given that Punisher's identity of Frank Castle isn't secret and all that's needed to kill someone with a Death Note is their name and to know what they look like.

But you see, the book falls into Frank's hands...

And Nicholas Cage, the Ghost Rider has to bring him to justice you see...

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Gatts posted:

"Writing is for pussies!" growls Frank as he throws the book over his shoulder and cocks his gun.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gatts posted:

I didn't consider that possibility.

*Crosses fingers together, leans in. *

Go on.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The Punisher is immune to Ghost Rider's penance stare.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I love GR's fat doughy body and french fry hands in the final panel.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Grendels Dad posted:

"Writing is for pussies!" growls Frank as he throws the book over his shoulder and cocks his gun.

He writes in the book that he shoots them. And then he does.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, it'd be the exact opposite of tone-deaf.

A movie that had a bunch of trailers showing dude gleefully murdering a Congress full of party-I-dont-like politicians over some political philosophy when there was just a shooting at a baseball game and the NRA is sending out those emails would feel pretty tone-deaf to me. I see enough people calling for that on Facebook already. In a world with the Purge and Battle Royale and such I don't think it would be commendable/radical really, just a movie about if James Hodgkinson found a magic book.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Man this is like the worst anime ever.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
"T-that Punisher...is inhuman...!!"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Man this is like the worst anime ever.

He'd previously gathered up a bunch of magical weapons to use against Ghost Rider in that fight but none of them worked so he ended up choking him out with his own chains. :v:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

If Ghost Rider's penance stare only works on the already repentant it's pretty redundant, isn't it?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Grendels Dad posted:

If Ghost Rider's penance stare only works on the already repentant it's pretty redundant, isn't it?

It makes people feel all the pain they've ever inflicted on innocents* and the Punisher only kills guilty people* so he's got othing to repentant about*. :eng101:

* Unless the writer changes their mind

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It makes people feel all the pain they've ever inflicted on innocents* and the Punisher only kills guilty people* so he's got othing to repentant about*. :eng101:

* Unless the writer changes their mind

Good thing none of those guilty people he killed had innocent families or kids depending on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Good thing none of those guilty people he killed had innocent families or kids depending on them.

Every bad guy killed is a cycle of violence ended.

:v:

• Locked thread