Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

WWE has more TV in a 'season' than Game of Thrones has had in its entire run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Erebus posted:

There's that story about Steph mocking the writer who tried to build a bible of character backstories, so the problem is they think all that "real" storytelling is lame stuff for babies.

Yeah that's Chris Kreski, he had a background in television and got brought in after Russo jumped to WCW. He wrote through 1999-2000, which were some of WWF's best financial and arguably creative years. And yes, Steph and Vince made fun of him for storyboarding out his plots and characters, like a competent writer.

Also you could bring in any high caliber writer with a solid history in television writing, they still have to go through the current day filter of the McMahons. Issue isn't the writers, although for the most part they suck as well.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 30, 2017

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
I could be wrong, but didn't Russo also have a "bible" for tracking characters and storylines?

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Erebus posted:

There's that story about Steph mocking the writer who tried to build a bible of character backstories, so the problem is they think all that "real" storytelling is lame stuff for babies.

In the fantasy universe where that doesn't apply: Maybe. The main issue would be regular TV guys aren't used to writing for a space where a central character might suddenly get injured and disappear for six months. Or a plot point might go over like a wet fart and the story going forward would have to change. There's a certain fluidity in storytelling to wrestling that "normal" TV showrunners wouldn't be experienced with.

They still couldn't do any worse than what's out there now, though.

What if you had a TV guy like Benioff cover the overarching storyline parts, with Heyman or some other guy with booking experience to advise them on the aspects specific to wrestling booking? This is discounting everything about the McMahons being the final say.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

rare Magic card l00k posted:

WWE has more TV in a 'season' than Game of Thrones has had in its entire run.

Right but GOT also has locations to manage and characters to keep track of where as WWE either has characters walking to a ring to talk or walking to a ring to fight.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

mary had a little clam posted:

Regarding Writer/Vince/HHH chat earlier in the thread, I have a stupid question:

Do you think WWE could, if they so chose, hire the showrunner of a successful "prestige TV" show to come do a "season" of WWE and help unfuck all the dumb writing and bad planning? Like would the skills translate? I'm thinking, like, could you throw some money at Game of Thrones' David Benioff and have him point WWE in the right direction? I mean, he runs a show with like 50 main characters where the whole point is people fighting and betraying each other. Do you think that would make him able to write WWE better?

If not an outside showrunner, who would you have replace HHH/Vince as the heads of Creative?

A few factors would prevent this, including WWE is poison on a serious resume; WWE doesn't pay people well generally (except for Kevin Dunn's baffling $4.7 million a year); 3. They don't really have that kind of chain of command. Like Vince and/or Hunter wouldn't let some outside run things. People aren't kidding about edicts from on high that drastically change storylines, whether long term or short term, at astoundingly short notice. If I recall correctly, it's very rare for RAW to be completely written an hour beforehand, without any changes from then.

WWE would almost certainly be way too unprofessional an environment for serious writers. And giving up control, giving a good wage, and creating a good working environment (doubtful they would let a star writer just write from a single location, they might insanely have them follow them around the world on WWEs travels).

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Kuroyama posted:

What if you had a TV guy like Benioff cover the overarching storyline parts, with Heyman or some other guy with booking experience to advise them on the aspects specific to wrestling booking? This is discounting everything about the McMahons being the final say.

Eh WWE does it all the time where people just rise up and take someone else's spot. It's not really that hard to figure out if you get someone competent.

But WWE doesn't need a prestige show runner. They just need to take more ideas from their talent.

Edit: Like is Hornswoggle being Vince's son because of Mr. Kennedy's suspension really that hard of a concept to come up with?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

If you completely remove the McMahon's from the equation, there's absolutely no reason a professional TV showrunner couldn't add to the product assuming they let the match agents worry about the in ring stuff.

As things stand now, no reasonable tv person who could get a job elsewhere would work in the wwe environment and in the off chance they took that leap, it would probably be 90 days or less before they quit.

The writers exist to flesh out Vince's bad ideas and be interchangeable parts which can be disposed of when those ideas inevitably fail.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

And then disposed of again and again, if steph feels you don't feel bad enough about being disposed of

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

an unnamed twitter wrestling newsman recently hinted that stephanie mcmahon caused the emotional downward spiral and death of patrice o'neal

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Cavauro posted:

an unnamed twitter wrestling newsman recently hinted that stephanie mcmahon caused the emotional downward spiral and death of patrice o'neal

When will the public finally learn it just isn't safe to watch Raw without a discussion thread!

*lights candle*

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Yeah that's Chris Kreski, he had a background in television and got brought in after Russo jumped to WCW. He wrote through 1999-2000, which were some of WWF's best financial and arguably creative years. And yes, Steph and Vince made fun of him for storyboarding out his plots and characters, like a competent writer.

Don't you mean like a mark? :smug:

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

To this day I do not understand that gimmick. Like, at all. It's like... did Vince travel to Puerto Rico and have a terrible time and this was revenge?

The first time I saw their promo I thought it was for one of those lovely USA shows.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Kuroyama posted:

One day last summer I walked into the writer's office and said, 'You know that kid Bayley who gets mercilessly owned by Alexa Bliss? The one who confronts her in front of her hometown and loses?' 'Yeah?' 'Well,' said I, 'doesn't it make sense that she would challenge Alexa to a rematch at Extreme Rules? Where else is she going to go?' 'You're right,' they said. 'That does make sense.' 'And what if during the match, she's getting mercilessly owned yet again?'

This year, I am a writer on the show.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/WWE/status/880835832453705729

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Cavauro posted:

I highly doubt that, patrice used to joke about those days all the time. He didn't even do it for that long. He had diabetes.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

....really?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Tomahawk posted:

I highly doubt that, patrice used to joke about those days all the time. He didn't even do it for that long. He had diabetes.

That sounds suspicious but believe what you want. humor and overeating can both be easily linked to depression. i dont make the highly likely to be true rumors going around the insider knowledge hotspots. i just post them from time to time.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

crippling diabetes is no joke. it's how kamala lost his legs.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

....really?

the more matches they have with lana, the more camera angles kevin dunn has of lana for his personal collection

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

allowing diabetes to become crippling is far more likely to happen if someone is suffering through an emotional downward spiral or feeling lost in life because of stephanie mcmahon

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

So is something going to happen this time or are they going to keep burying someone they literally just put on the roster

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So either Lana gets buried again or Naomi loses the title on TV to someone she's destroyed twice. Or they do a DQ or some other bullshit out of it.

It's nice to know a match's outcome is gonna be terrible no matter what before you go in.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I hope Lana and Rusev keep losing until one of them either finally tells the company to gently caress off and quits or they both just give up and start losing in the intentionally funniest way possible

Like how Gail Kim did both and just immediately walked out of a battle royal that had just started seconds before, nobody on air even noticed (even though she was one of 10 people in the ring), and nobody backstage noticed until she walked in and said "I left and I quit"

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
Hell, let's do it, have the Russian win on the fourth of July and embrace every single champion in the company being a heel.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

probably so carmella can tease a cash in and/or actually cash in

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...

Grendels Dad posted:

One day last summer I walked into the writer's office and said, 'You know that kid Bayley who gets mercilessly owned by Alexa Bliss? The one who confronts her in front of her hometown and loses?' 'Yeah?' 'Well,' said I, 'doesn't it make sense that she would challenge Alexa to a rematch at Extreme Rules? Where else is she going to go?' 'You're right,' they said. 'That does make sense.' 'And what if during the match, she's getting mercilessly owned yet again?'

This year, I am a writer on the show.

I just wanted to express that I enjoyed and appreciated this post.

The guys that run GoT are so loving petty and spiteful they'd probably fit right in with the McMahon's.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

If they keep doing the same match over and over again eventually it will be good

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I hope Rusev returns on the 4th of July and wins the US Title and Lana wins the women's title and they celebrate with a live sex celebration

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Cross post from the b league MMA thread, but this is great because it's a shoot Trouble in Paradise
https://twitter.com/kokings4/status/880511073664860161

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I was mad they gave Lana the first rematch for no reason after losing decisively, this is just absurd

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Is that dude okay? :ohdear:

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

St Evan Echoes posted:

lol no

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

St Evan Echoes posted:

He's white, who cares

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Blasmeister posted:

I was mad they gave Lana the first rematch for no reason after losing decisively, this is just absurd

Personally I'm happy for the return of Christian's "One...more...match!" gimmick

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Midnightghoul posted:

He's white, who cares

Triple H, probably

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Midnightghoul posted:

He's white, who cares

:agreed:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Personally I'm happy for the return of Christian's "One...more...match!" gimmick

Maybe she's earned Batista's perennial "number one contender" status.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

reignofevil posted:

When will the public finally learn it just isn't safe to watch Raw without a discussion thread!

*lights candle*

I don't know. I'm enjoying RAW and SD a lot more now that I'm not exposed to the consistent negativity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Senerio posted:

I don't know. I'm enjoying RAW and SD a lot more now that I'm not exposed to the consistent negativity.

It is a lot easier to watch fascism without critique, agreed.

• Locked thread