Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

homeless snail posted:

There's nothing in this game that doesn't work on controller, really.

You'll never be a top lords of verminion player

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Are you accounting for the fact that lance mastery gives the second BotD extender +30 potency?

I'm also a little confused what exact rotations you're proposing--can you write them out so I can understand them better?

yeah, that's with the +30 potency.

i'm not actually at my computer so I don't know how it would actually play out with thrust/piercing/chaos uptime, i was just doing some math across a period of time. if we reach skill speeds where we can do 12 gcds in between refreshing our buffs (which I think we can already), you would do the full botd combos off of chaos combo (I-D-C-Wheeling-Fang), then do True-Vorpal-Full, True-Vorpal-Full-Fang, then True-Vorpal-Full before going back into your buffs. i haven't actually tried this out, so i might be missing something, because i don't think we're at a point where we can do 2x damage combos in between the debuff combo, but if we reach a point where that happens, the math starts getting muddied.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Reiterpallasch posted:

popping vril is apparently kind of awkward on a controller

L2 + R2 + R3 isn't bad at all but is is more complicated than just clicking.

Samurai is a melee dps and a relatively simple one for the number of buttons you need to worry about, so it is probably one of the best fits for a controller.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ImpAtom posted:

For the record the official racial slur list for Eorzea:

Lalafell: Potato, tater, spuds.

I've been referring to them as footballs.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

yeah, that's with the +30 potency.

i'm not actually at my computer so I don't know how it would actually play out with thrust/piercing/chaos uptime, i was just doing some math across a period of time. if we reach skill speeds where we can do 12 gcds in between refreshing our buffs (which I think we can already), you would do the full botd combos off of chaos combo (I-D-C-Wheeling-Fang), then do True-Vorpal-Full, True-Vorpal-Full-Fang, then True-Vorpal-Full before going back into your buffs. i haven't actually tried this out, so i might be missing something, because i don't think we're at a point where we can do 2x damage combos in between the debuff combo, but if we reach a point where that happens, the math starts getting muddied.

Thanks, I'll try parsing this tonight and see how it compares.

The bosses in SB turn to face you a lot and True North has a long CD so anything that reduces positionals seems good, even if it has a very very slight potency nerf assuming you do hit the positionals.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

slev posted:

I'm not comfortable with your Kawakami-san avatar :ohdear:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

*Popoto

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

ImpAtom posted:

Roe: Brick Hardmeat, Gristle McThornBody, Punch Rockgroin
Au Ra: Lizard, Gecko, Snek
Elezen: Elf, Giraffe, Girrelf.
Miqo'te: Catte, Micu'tie
Hyur: Hyur.

Please don't use any other when insulting your tank for the 27th time or you won't be lore accurate.

I'll just continue hating those GODDAMN elves

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Punt Speedchunk
Blast Hardcheese
Thick McRunFast

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ImpAtom posted:

Au Ra: Lizard, Gecko, Snek
Elezen: Elf, Giraffe, Girrelf.
Miqo'te: Catte, Micu'tie
Hyur: Hyur.

Please don't use any other when insulting your tank for the 27th time or you won't be lore accurate.

please add Tallafel and cloud-sniffer to the Elezen list

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Mid lander? Midgelander. *flexes Swolelander muscles*

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Reiterpallasch posted:

popping vril is apparently kind of awkward on a controller
This killed me twice last night when I encountered snake mom the first time.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think these are slurs, and are basically lore-friendly hellsguard names.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Sonlander, Son of Dadlander

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Mathing out the dragoon rotation a bit more:

All three of the things we have to keep up (heavy thrust, disembowel, chaos thrust) have 30s durations. Even with base skill speed, that's 12 GCDs. 13 GCDs probably isn't reachable in current gear, or if it is it'd require melding skill speed (shudder).

The "assumed" rotation, assuming all positionals are hit, is:

HT (180)-ID (190)-Di (230)-CT (270+350)-WT (290)-F&C (320)-TT (150)-VT (240)-FT (440)-F&C (290)-WT (320)

Heavy Thrust and disembowel are up for all eleven hits (though disembowel doesn't apply to the dot damage), outside of the opener. That's a total of 3807 potency over ten moves after counting the buffs, or about 346 potency per GCD. Assuming perfect uptime, we should clip one chaos thrust tick, bringing it down slightly to 342 average potency

The proposed rotation is:

HT-ID-Di-CT-WT-F&C-TT-VT-FT-F&C-TT-VT-FT

If I'm right about how the timing works out, HT will fall off and not apply to itself, and the same with Disembowel. We probably won't miss any chaos thrust ticks but we might once in a while. We definitely won't clip any. When gear gets better, we'll go back to clipping all three, which is an increase of 3.5 total potency and thus basically a wash. Assuming these assumptions are correct, our potency over these 13 GCDs is 4503, or an average potency of 346--exactly the same, astonishingly, as the first rotation.

The main takeaway from them being so close is that it may be the case that you should skip BotD extenders during LotD since you don't need them to maintain your eyes or your +30% to jumps.

e: and probably skip them if you're gonna miss the positional unless you need the BotD guage

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

we went over the double FT rotation before SB was even out in the math nerd discord and it was ruled out because of lining up your buttons with your buffs

by doing the regular FT -> fac -> wt your B4B comes up just before chaos thrust, so you can chaos thrust into geirskogul into nastrond

if you do 2x FT, your BotD will be at 18 seconds when that comes around, giving you only two natronds out of your LotD instead of 3

when considering rotations, you can't look at 10 GCDs in a vacuum, you have to look at 3+ minutes of where your buttons line up

edit: oh and it is a potency increase to do 2x FT while under LotD because you can't extend the timer anyway, but not otherwise

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I don't think these are slurs, and are basically lore-friendly hellsguard names.

As one of my alts is a redroe, I agree.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I was peeking in on one of the WoW wikis to read a little about the recent lore....

:yikes:

Holy gently caress the lore got even more weird, convoluted, retconny, and stupid since when I quit after Cataclysm.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ilifinicus posted:

we went over the double FT rotation before SB was even out in the math nerd discord and it was ruled out because of lining up your buttons with your buffs

by doing the regular FT -> fac -> wt your B4B comes up just before chaos thrust, so you can chaos thrust into geirskogul into nastrond

if you do 2x FT, your BotD will be at 18 seconds when that comes around, giving you only two natronds out of your LotD instead of 3

Since apparently people better at this than me have been mathing dragoon already and then not writing it down in a source I can find, do you know the answers to these corner cases (or at least point me to the place I can get them answered)?

How long should I be willing to hold Geirskogul to enter LotD sooner? It's pretty common for me to be at 3 eyes, with jump 10-30 seconds away, and geirskogul up. Currently I use geirskogul whenever that wouldn't cause me to lose an eye (i.e., I'll do it if jump is coming soon, but not if jump and spineshatter are coming soon). I do hold it if it's less than a 10 second wait, but that's mostly based on feel, not math.

Should I hold off on LotD until I get the meter above 20 seconds, or just pop it immediately even if I'd only get two nastronds?

Am I supposed to use B4B on cooldown like I did in ARR and HW, or do I want to try to line it up with stuff?

e: and for the LotD phase, do I just skip all BotD extenders and do triple FT, or do I do some extenders and only double FT?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
here's a freakin roller coaster

https://twitter.com/weeaboo/status/880754221162921984

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Thundarr posted:

L2 + R2 + R3 isn't bad at all but is is more complicated than just clicking.

You only need one of L2 or R2, not both. And personally I pretty much always have a trigger down anyway so ?????

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

slev posted:

I don't think the controller is much of an impediment to smashing the kidragora button.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

Since apparently people better at this than me have been mathing dragoon already and then not writing it down in a source I can find, do you know the answers to these corner cases (or at least point me to the place I can get them answered)?

How long should I be willing to hold Geirskogul to enter LotD sooner? It's pretty common for me to be at 3 eyes, with jump 10-30 seconds away, and geirskogul up. Currently I use geirskogul whenever that wouldn't cause me to lose an eye (i.e., I'll do it if jump is coming soon, but not if jump and spineshatter are coming soon). I do hold it if it's less than a 10 second wait, but that's mostly based on feel, not math.

Should I hold off on LotD until I get the meter above 20 seconds, or just pop it immediately even if I'd only get two nastronds?

Am I supposed to use B4B on cooldown like I did in ARR and HW, or do I want to try to line it up with stuff?

e: and for the LotD phase, do I just skip all BotD extenders and do triple FT, or do I do some extenders and only double FT?
The Balance discord talks about this all the time and it's not hidden from the public. Here's the current state of Eve's attempt to make it visual for people coming in new. There's gonna be nuance to this only achieved by understanding why this image comes together like it does and mapping out your button presses over a fight, but it gets the gist of it out.

Because of 35+35 = 70, and LotD being achievable only every 80s, you're gonna be sitting on the third Geirskogul for 10 seconds while you get your fourth Mirage Dive in. For your *first* LotD, you're gonna have used Spineshatter and have Dive Ready sitting all the way to 2-3 seconds as you activate geirskogul + nastrond in the same offGCD, and then use that Mirage Dive immediately after, giving you the second LotD's first eye while at the start of your first LotD.

B4B is still use on cooldown, but you are going to have to decide on holding it or not based on how fast your GCD is. The current i315 DRG set gives you an abysmally large amount of skill speed, so feel it out.

During LotD, which you should open after a B4B into Chaos Thrust every time when your buttons line up correctly, you will do the CT -> WT -> FaC, then double FT combo and back into doing the extenders again.

oh and all of this goes down the drain in the current endgame fights because they hate dragoon so play something else

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

So two people own a whole series of identical houses in an entire housing ward?

I mean, if you want to recreate the hellscape of suburban living, I suppose that's your dream. You do you. :shrug:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Thanks so much, I'm still not used to discord being the main source of video game discussion these days

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Boy I thought on the face of the patch notes Dragoon was getting easier to manage, not harder

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ciaphas posted:

Boy I thought on the face of the patch notes Dragoon was getting easier to manage, not harder

The skill floor is definitely way way easier. A mediocre dragoon in stormblood will get a much higher percentage of maximum dps than they did in heavensward.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

I wish I could hit these people in the face with a brick.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Leofish posted:

So two people own a whole series of identical houses in an entire housing ward?

I mean, if you want to recreate the hellscape of suburban living, I suppose that's your dream. You do you. :shrug:

It's about the only kind of suburban living that's still affordable these days!

while I think their statement is a bit overdramatic, it does boil down to, "well, we were here on this low-pop server a long-rear end time before y'all came through", and I can't fault them for that.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

wanting to inflict violence on people over a video game doesn't seem like a mentally healthy attitude

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Sharkopath posted:

The Warrior of Light is the biggest and strongest man possible because only someone of titanic proportions and immovable frame can hold back the uncaring heavens from crushing fair Eorzea.

Go Roeg or Go Home.

The Warrior of Light is a handsome, rugged highlander starting to grey from the stresses of bearing Eorzea's ills upon his broad shoulders. Paladins are always Protagonists.

(I wish this game had more beard options.)

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Soloing on RDM at 70 is an absolute pleasure. I was maining machinist last expansion and couldn't really get into it, but I'm finding now that Odin, all of the level 50 hard trials (and probably at least some of the extremes, too, once I get mechanics down pat; garuda looked eminently doable) and I thiiiink all of the HW 4-man content has been a real blast and is showering me in glamour gear I never got around to before.

Don't know how this was done before, but vercure puts a lot of things in reach I have to figure weren't practical before.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

The Warrior of Light is a handsome, rugged highlander starting to grey from the stresses of bearing Eorzea's ills upon his broad shoulders. Paladins are always Protagonists.

(I wish this game had more beard options.)

i also did the grey hair thing for stormblood but did mine with adjacent greys so its subtle.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Guys guys, girls girls

FF12 HD in a week and a half :neckbeard:

And we're gonna get an ivalice raid with matsuno input. I am a very happy nerd.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

kojei posted:

You only need one of L2 or R2, not both. And personally I pretty much always have a trigger down anyway so ?????

The real tragedy is that it is now much more obnoxious to tap L3 for camera lock/unlock because you have to fully release the triggers first for it to work.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Thundarr posted:

The real tragedy is that it is now much more obnoxious to tap L3 for camera lock/unlock because you have to fully release the triggers first for it to work.

I don't think I've ever target locked voluntarily in this game. Is it a melee class thing?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

I don't see how you could be angry with them, they created their own little HoA out of houses nobody wanted.

Not their fault those houses are now valuable! And prop 13 lets them keep their tax rate at their original value!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

victrix posted:

Guys guys, girls girls

FF12 HD in a week and a half :neckbeard:

You're already playing a FF MMO. You don't need to play a much much worse one.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
ff12 izjs is, in fact, good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
As someone who only got interested in owning a house because of the decorations increase, I applaud those dudes effort in getting a whole lot of houses in (as someone who was really into Minecraft I can sympathize with 'ALL THESE IDEAS MUST TRY OUT' motive) and wish them a firm chastising buttspank for being hypocrites and not allowing others to also exploring their housing creativity.

Also for being rich moguls for being able to afford all of those houses at once but at least it's in fake not-money rather than real greenbacks :colbert:

It's not all paissa houses and chocobstables in the lawn after all!