Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Female bartenders no longer need to wash hands after using the restroom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Antiquated Pants posted:

delivering to the wealthiest neighborhoods

Yeah rich people are cheap as gently caress, and poor people give good tips. It makes me hate rich people. You are wearing designer pajama pants and live in a mansion/super fancy apartment, but tip me $1.00 on your $50 order. Thanks a lot rear end in a top hat. Sometimes there's a rare one that gives a huge tip, but that's most likely because they were poor prior to becoming rich.

Ninja edit: missed a page ah gently caress 2 pages, point still stands though, gently caress rich people for being cheap

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 30, 2017

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Maybe if millennials didn't waste so much money on tips and avocado toast they would be able to afford silk pajamas too.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

Thin Privilege posted:

Yeah rich people are cheap as gently caress, and poor people give good tips. It makes me hate rich people. You are wearing designer pajama pants and live in a mansion/super fancy apartment, but tip me $1.00 on your $50 order. Thanks a lot rear end in a top hat. Sometimes there's a rare one that gives a huge tip, but that's most likely because they were poor prior to becoming rich.

Ninja edit: missed a page ah gently caress 2 pages, point still stands though, gently caress rich people for being cheap

you don't get rich by spending money

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

I lived in one of the poorest towns in Indiana when I delievered pizza and the best tippers were the ones that lived in the "ghetto". There was a rich semi-gated community on the outskirts of town that we delivered to as well and they tipped decently too, but on average the poorer the household the greater the tip. Also the large middle eastern population tipped very generously too.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
I'm assuming it's because poorer people work in / have worked in / have friends that work in The Industry and thus understand how hard it can be.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

berth ell pup posted:

I'm assuming it's because poorer people work in / have worked in / have friends that work in The Industry and thus understand how hard it can be.

Yes they have basic empathy.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

fits my needs posted:

Why don't any of you extremely abused retail workers ever give a call to your local EEOC?

I mean it probably takes about as much effort as posting 10 paragraphs about how rude it was for someone to tip you 15% instead of the 25% you are entitled to?

I looked into complaining to the labor department regarding my one jobs illegal wage stuff but apparently you have to attach your name to the complaint, which is then shown to the employer, and this is an "at-will" job so they'll just fire you. No point in complaining cause I need the job :patriot:

berth ell pup posted:

you don't get rich by spending money

Hurr I'm gonna spend $50 on some sandwiches but I won't get rich if I tip $5 instead of $1!

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

I lived in one of the poorest towns in Indiana when I delievered pizza and the best tippers were the ones that lived in the "ghetto". There was a rich semi-gated community on the outskirts of town that we delivered to as well and they tipped decently too, but on average the poorer the household the greater the tip. Also the large middle eastern population tipped very generously too.

I think this is just one of those social things, like you also only see people begging for money in poor areas/outside stores known for being visited by the lower classes because they know they will get more help there. I was raised by a widowed mom that was a waitress before I was born and did it for a while after my father passed before she went back to school and moved on and as an adult I've always been a good tipper. i don't eat out often but when I do, particularly when I get older waiters/waitresses, I leave a lot of cash cause at worst I'm giving some extra spending money to people who are working for it and at best I'm helping a family. Cash tips are like the most direct and honest form of charity, there's no middleman you just wanna give somethin extra directly towards someone who is working and will appreciate it.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

Thin Privilege posted:

Hurr I'm gonna spend $50 on some sandwiches but I won't get rich if I tip $5 instead of $1!

chill, hoss, that's just how they think.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
50 dollars for a sandwich is a lot of money for a sandwich.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Orkin Mang posted:

Yeah but the ambience is to die for

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Orkin Mang posted:

Not sure if you know this, but food delivery commonly serves groups as well as individuals! Just because a single person answers the door and pays, does not mean they are the only person eating.

A difficult concept, I realize.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chomp8645 posted:

Not sure if you know this, but food delivery commonly serves groups as well as individuals!

a sandwich that is shared is called a cake

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Orkin Mang posted:

Actually it's called your mom!

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

ArbitraryC posted:

I think this is just one of those social things, like you also only see people begging for money in poor areas/outside stores known for being visited by the lower classes because they know they will get more help there.

actually it's because in the rich areas, or outside stores known for being visited by the upper classes, the cops will throw them the gently caress out asap

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

JewKiller 3000 posted:

actually it's because in the rich areas, or outside stores known for being visited by the upper classes, the cops will throw them the gently caress out* asap

*arrest

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chomp8645 posted:

Actually it's called your mom!

dont assign a gender to my parent without their permission

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Thin Privilege posted:

I looked into complaining to the labor department regarding my one jobs illegal wage stuff but apparently you have to attach your name to the complaint, which is then shown to the employer, and this is an "at-will" job so they'll just fire you. No point in complaining cause I need the job :patriot:

Couldn't you just fill in "Anonymous" in the name field?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Orkin Mang posted:

An open sandwich that is shared is called a pizza

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

fits my needs posted:

Why don't any of you extremely abused retail workers ever give a call to your local EEOC?

I mean it probably takes about as much effort as posting 10 paragraphs about how rude it was for someone to tip you 15% instead of the 25% you are entitled to?

I have before as a grocery store employee and radioshack employee it did nothing.

E:

Detective No. 27 posted:

Couldn't you just fill in "Anonymous" in the name field?

No and you need to provide more than just a name.

Azuth0667 fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 1, 2017

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Thin Privilege posted:

This was also my experience delivering pizzas. Deliver to the house across the street from the crackhouse, 20$ tip. Make same cost deliver to the country club, 1$ tip. This happenend often enough I started making country club the last location I would stop which used to cause so many customer tantrums.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Azuth0667 posted:

This was also my experience delivering pizzas. Deliver to the house across the street from the crackhouse, 20$ tip. Make same cost deliver to the country club, 1$ tip. This happenend often enough I started making country club the last location I would stop which used to cause so many customer tantrums.

Azuth0667 serving a double helping of pizza..... and justice.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I worked at a golf course once and those men and women for the most part were stingy, but some of them got aggressive about it by not only not tipping you but berating you for asking. One guy in particular was a real sour son of a bitch who was notorious for not finishing rounds and instead having a tantrum meltdown and then throwing his clubs all over the course and then making staff go retrieve them for him across the multiple holes he dropped them at on his cuss fueled trip back to the club house and then not tipping employees ever and berating them to get real jobs and going out of his way to do so.

That guys wife got informed of the affair he was having the second someone at the course knew of it.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Did the mistress get informed of the way he behaved at the course? I mean, it's a longshot but maybe you coulda completely cockblocked the dude.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

VideoTapir posted:

Did the mistress get informed of the way he behaved at the course? I mean, it's a longshot but maybe you coulda completely cockblocked the dude.

We had no clue who she was. He was such a cheap fucker he was driving his coupe(?) car to the course parking lot at night to gently caress in it so it made him stupidly easy to confirm he was having an affair since there were cameras monitoring the parking lot.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

An open sandwich that is shared is called a pizza

What about hot dogs?

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

PhotoKirk posted:

What about hot dogs?

a calzone, obviously.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I've been out of retail now for six months after.being in for 17 years. I've seen some poo poo.

Old people are the WORST. I've never seen an overall more entitled group. A lot of them were pretty cool and I didn't mind the, but most of my worst customers were old.

Senior Day was the first Wednesday of the month. You can't believe the number of people that would come up with a huge heaping cart if stuff, and everything to me one at a time, examine their screen closely to make sure their 10 cents came off, and repeat for every item in the cart. It always took 10x longer. Yes, Grandma. You saved 3 dollars today. Now you can go back to 1970 and buy something worthwhile with it.

There were also some things that weren't on senior discount and of course it was always my personal fault that they can't get it. "Do you know how much I spend here?" No, and I don't really care. But even if I did you're not above the rules. They apply to you, too.

This applies across all demographics, but apparently handing an unwanted item to the cashier I'd the most difficult thing in the entire world, and it's much easier to ditch it wherever you're standing at the time, even if it's standing in line at the checkout and then trying to stash it by the gum and candy.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 1, 2017

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Boy I've seen posts that were obviously made from a phone but that last paragraph might take the cake

Also sorry, but "old people are slow and stingy" is like the most generic bad customer stereotype ever, in 17 years that's all you've got? :cmon:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

new phone who dis posted:

I have the same experience sometimes. I'll call because the cable or internet is out and they'll start doing their profuse apology thing and I'll just cut them off with "It's okay, dude. Things happen and you're not directly responsible. I'm not mad. You're just doing your job and I can appreciate that." You can feel the relief through the phone when they realize you aren't going to be "one of them".

One of my personal policies is to be extra nice to my retail brothers and sisters, because I know first-hand how much abuse they out up with. I can't count the number of times where I had a question where I asked "hey is it possible for you to do x?" and they say no sorry and then I hear and feel them bracing for a barrage of yelling and verbal abuse, only to hear a huge sigh of relief when I say " no worries, it's cool" and tell them I've been on their side of the counter. They act like they've seen a magical unicorn fairy.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Kelp Me! posted:

Boy I've seen posts that were obviously made from a phone but that last paragraph might take the cake

Also sorry, but "old people are slow and stingy" is like the most generic bad customer stereotype ever, in 17 years that's all you've got? :cmon:

It's all I felt like posting at the time. I was reminded because I saw the senior day banner at my old place of work and got flashbacks of the slow moving bad tempered stampede.

I've got tons of scammer stories, screaming assholes, crappy teenagers, awful management, etc.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

:justpost:

Preferably not from mobile

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

Kelp Me! posted:

:justpost:

Preferably not from mobile

I will continue to phone post in this thread and there isn't a thing you can do to stop me. :hehe:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Starman Super DX posted:

I will continue to phone post in this thread and there isn't a thing you can do to stop me. :hehe:

Your posts.dont look
look like this,

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Gorilla Salad posted:

When I worked retail it was in the early 90s when I was at uni and pretty much every shop you went into was maybe one old person who had been there forever who did the openings during the week and a bunch of young people working part time for all the weekends, nights and closings.

Now, in my area over the past few years, we've had the Holden plant close, the Ford plant close, the Toyota plant close, the Alcoa aluminium smelter close and the large carpet manufacturer close. With all the ancillary companies closing as well because there's no one left to sell to, this has meant about 70% of the "good" blue collar jobs within 300km are just gone.

Tens of thousands of people who thought they had a job for life are totally hosed.

Now you walk into a retail store and most of the staff are in their 40s and 50s because they have mortgages and families and there's literally nowhere else and it's just a loving tragedy.

I'm loving heart broken over here

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Captain Yossarian posted:

Firehouse subs suck poo poo. Love that greasy disgusting sang... Yuck

Just order your sub cold that's what I do

Not An Irish Monk
May 1, 2009
Been about a year since I last worked retail/food service, Starbucks in a Target, which really blew because A.) it was in a Target and B.)we were technically Target employees so we got no tips. We had this little cup hidden behind the register for spare change and pity money some regulars would hand us. We'd split it all up when the cup was full, which would take like months, and it was $5 for everyone just a joke. Even that eventually ended because the store manager got word of it and made our manager make sure we didn't dare keep loose change around for ourselves anymore.

My spineless middle aged manager turned down numerous promotions for more money because he was freighted of having more responsibility and was barely in the department on most days to begin with instead just trying to look busy bossing people around on the sales floor. Not only that but he couldn't make drinks to save his life. Almost every regular we had said they would avoid getting coffee if they saw him behind the counter like he even brewed basic rear end coffee wrong. Every time he trained the newbie's on recipes, we'd have to immediately show them the actual right way to makes drinks after. But he kissed rear end really well, especially to the district Target/Starbucks boss dude who would visit once a month, and he kept the place insanely clean so we always got perfect health scores unlike the rest of the store.

So he'd schedule himself back there for the easier opening shifts, spend the whole morning cleaning between the old ladies coming up unaware of his notoriously lovely drinks, avoid the department on the craziest days by either running away to the sales floor or requesting off beforehand all together and I'm sure if I went and visited that place today I'd see him still walking around the parking lot hatching eggs on Pokemon Go because the dude was obsessed like that's all he did every lunch break. So if you're a forty year old single man with no ambition in sight and who's main priorities are virtually non-existent, Starbucks Team Lead position at Target is the spot for you I guess!

Not An Irish Monk fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 1, 2017

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I like travelling because I can leave $0.00 tips for everything/everyone as I'll never see any of their stupid sad waiter faces ever again.

Especially so in Las Vegas God drat everyone in that city has their hand out for a tip get a real job you losers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
When I was in high school, I did the outlet mall circuit, same as every other kid in my small-rear end town.

There's a somewhat obscure outlet chain called the VF Outlet. Imagine a Target-sized store, only there is virtually no semblance of order, and some of the clothing is extremely irregular/flawed (pants where the legs are different lengths, shirts with misprints, underwear that cost 50 cents and was about the quality you'd expect for that price, etcetera). Our demographic was an odd mix of Chinese tourists (literally, the outlet store was a tour bus stop for Chinese-speaking tours in spite of its rural location) and mountain folk who'd come from as far as Montana to load up on two or three carts' worth of lovely, dirt cheap clothing.

I had one woman roll up with a bazillion pounds of clothing for her 15 grandchildren or whatever. When it came time to pay, she tried to use her sister's EBT card, which my system couldn't even recognize, much less use for clothing. When I was finally able to get this across to her, she looked grimly into the middle distance and muttered, "That's okay. That's why I always got my sock." She reached down the front of her dress, between her massive, ancient, slab-like tits, and withdrew a sweat stained sock. Inside the sock was a tightly rolled wad of cash. I will never, ever forget how warm and moist those bills were as I peeled them apart. I had to lay each bill out separately over the rest of the cash in my till so they could dry out a bit.

But, hell, if I'd refused to take the sweaty tit cash I'd have had to ring all the merchandise back into our system. Some poo poo just isn't worth it.

• Locked thread