Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
Remember when they "played" 3.0 "live", complete with 'Planets' and 'Mission Givers' and 'Picking Up Box™' and 'Elevators' and 'Sandworm' at Gamescom last year and all those stupid Goonies were spreading FUD and saying that it was a faked show made up of smoke and mirrors?

Anyone remember that?

CIG sure proved them wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bill_murray
Apr 27, 2016

hot balls man no homo posted:

That's the fun thing about Derek's pissing match with CIG. Whenever he says CIG will do something they have to do the opposite or it gives him credibility. If he says Austin studio is shutting down, we have to keep it open with a skeleton crew. He says Star Marine is dead, we have to cobble together an arena deathmatch game from our lovely assets. He says Chris is going to issue an apology letter, we have to say everything is running smoothly and let the backers get pissed when everything is delayed again.

It's amazing derek has that much influence on the project... roberts is so unprofessional

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Turns out doing actual work towards a significant update on Star Citizen means dealing with unforeseen issues on a daily basis.

Who could have foreseen that layering code over dreams would be so time consuming? Probably people who know nothing about game development.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

thatguy posted:

Massive scale? No problem.
Realistic physics? Easy for Chris.
Three entirely new languages? You better believe it.
Perfectly simulated economy? Effortless.
Procedural hand-crafted artisan world/city building? Child's play.
AI that will literally change the future? Simple.
Doors? Hold the gently caress up...

:perfect:

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
reddit

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

lol they are going to have people work on the 4th of july. :911:

bill_murray
Apr 27, 2016

MarcusSA posted:

Chris sure isnt

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Some talk about elevators in there, is that a dog whistle for loading screens? My Citizenese is getting a bit rusty

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Wrecked Angle posted:

Remember when they "played" 3.0 "live", complete with 'Planets' and 'Mission Givers' and 'Picking Up Box™' and 'Elevators' and 'Sandworm' at Gamescom last year and all those stupid Goonies were spreading FUD and saying that it was a faked show made up of smoke and mirrors?

Anyone remember that?

LOL! Yeah. I said it was all pure & utter bullshit; a tech demo designed to raise money. But what do I know, right? Only been 30 yrs at this. :allears:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

MarcusSA posted:

This is the time of the year they have to crunch to get something released, before it's time to drop everything else to crunch up some fake bullshit they can show at the cons

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

CIG = Games development company concept.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

Wrecked Angle posted:

Anyone remember that?

Yeah. I've been thinking the exact same thing. All sorts of official "gameplay" videos showing transitions from space to planet then going to a base and getting a mission then going back up into space and performing said mission. And no backer wonders how that is possible if DOORS AND ELEVATORS STILLL DON'T WORK? Or mission givers still don't work?

They actually had people "playing" at least one of the demos at the presentation. It wasn't presented as just a video where they could lie by omission. What the hell, commandos?

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

ComfyPants posted:

Someone who has a video editor with more fidelity layers could do better and I'd be happy.

Holy gently caress. :eyepop:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Elevators within physics grids. Good stuff.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

The main take away from all this is...every department is blaming each other for delays. Cover your rear end type stuff. Nearly every drat item.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

MinorInconvenience posted:

Yeah. I've been thinking the exact same thing. All sorts of official "gameplay" videos showing transitions from space to planet then going to a base and getting a mission then going back up into space and performing said mission. And no backer wonders how that is possible if DOORS AND ELEVATORS STILLL DON'T WORK? Or mission givers still don't work?

They actually had people "playing" at least one of the demos at the presentation. It wasn't presented as just a video where they could lie by omission. What the hell, commandos?

Forgive me for pulling a "Derek" by quoting my own post, but I just found something that I think might answer my own question. And I would like to hear others' thoughts. Seems that some smart commando figured out the live demo was just the current working modules with hidden cutscenes in between.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSrXsbRh6k8

Is that it? Is that the answer?

mrchinchin25
Apr 14, 2012

Dat BDSSE

Jobbo_Fett posted:

First make me a Hairy Roberts, next a Schlong Island Iced Tea :smuggo:

"Shaven, not furred"

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Not a mental 14yo at all... :yikes:

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Virtual Captain posted:

Schedule up. -diff-

300+ person company managed to get an one NPC working. At least if you trust their word.

Unforeseen problems? Just do it! :thurman:

So on 28th May, they indicated "Mission Givers" would be finished May 12th, ie. "two weeks".

Two weeks later, it would apparently take another four weeks.

Four weeks later, it would apparently take another three weeks.

That deadline was today. So guess how long it will be until it's finished now...

That's right: In "two weeks".

Backer response on reddit:

"Some real light at the end of the tunnel."
"you are all cleared for the happy dance"
"I’m positive we’ll have 3.0 by GamesCom."
"Wow so many important stuff is finished this week."
"they're making good progress since last update."

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

MinorInconvenience posted:

Forgive me for pulling a "Derek" by quoting my own post, but I just found something that I think might answer my own question. And I would like to hear others' thoughts. Seems that some smart commando figured out the live demo was just the current working modules with hidden cutscenes in between.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSrXsbRh6k8

Is that it? Is that the answer?

The comments on that video are great. I wonder how many of the people defending CIG in that comments section are happy that they still can't do any of the poo poo in that video 10 months later?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8mduTEvnU0

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Mr Fronts posted:

So on 28th May, they indicated "Mission Givers" would be finished May 12th, ie. "two weeks".

Two weeks later, it would apparently take another four weeks.

Four weeks later, it would apparently take another three weeks.

That deadline was today. So guess how long it will be until it's finished now...

That's right: In "two weeks".

Backer response on reddit:

"Some real light at the end of the tunnel."
"you are all cleared for the happy dance"
"I’m positive we’ll have 3.0 by GamesCom."
"Wow so many important stuff is finished this week."
"they're making good progress since last update."

What's happening with those sausages ?

2 minutes Turkish

2 minutes ? It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago

Classic CIG

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

I only check in every so often, I have some questions.

This 3.0, is this the same thing that they said was almost done before the con and the end of last year but pulled at literally the last minute but they really thought they would have it out? Or did that come out and now this is a different thing? I thought I remembered that being all these features, the vertical slice bit.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

BitBasher posted:

This 3.0, is this the same thing that they said was almost done before the con and the end of last year but pulled at literally the last minute but they really thought they would have it out? Or did that come out and now this is a different thing? I thought I remembered that being all these features, the vertical slice bit.

a valid question. ask that on /r/starcitizen and see what happens

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

BitBasher posted:

It's somehow all of that and less at the same time.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

BitBasher posted:

It's not the same thing. A lot of stuff has been removed so it's actually a lot less than was supposed to come out in December.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

BitBasher posted:

No that was the 'Squadron 42' vertical slice that got pulled last year which is the single player branch of the game which doesn't need all the network nonsense and features Mark Hamill and Gillian Anderson. We've seen very little footage of it ever and it's never been available to play. The most progress we've seen on Sq42 in years is them changing the release date on the website from 2015 to 2016 and then 2017.

This '3.0' is the next patch in the 'persistent universe' which is the massively multiplayer game broadly known as Star Citizen. This particular patch was announced at Gamescom (August) last year for delivery "by Christmas" (hopefully not December 19th they joked on stage) and here we are in the following July with it still being delayed.

e. Oh yeah, and the '3.0' they promised by the end of last year had a far bigger scope than the one now being delivered in the coming months.

Wrecked Angle fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 1, 2017

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
*might be delivered in the next months.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

BitBasher posted:

This was SUPPOSED to be out last year. Last year during gamescom they showed MORE than whats going to be out when the official 3.0 comes out (Giant sandworms, actual planets instead of badly generated moons) and billed it as something that was for sure coming out at the end of the year. Instead the patch that was around the corner got pushed back to the end of the year. The vertical slice of a single mission from SQ42 got poo poo canned because apparently presenting a mission that was going to be in the final game anyways would take away too much dev time from the people at foundry 42.

And this particular patch is going to be 8+ months late, missing features and almost assuredly nightmarishly unstable. To this date we do not have an explanation as to why Chris gave the date he did for 3.0

e- In comparison, full production games get delayed for less time than this. A single patch for SC has been delayed longer than what other developers go through for their ENTIRE GAME.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 1, 2017

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Space Crabs posted:

Chris Roberts is pioneering a new type of development "Dragonball C++"

It takes years to get anywhere but when it finally happens it's awesome

Is Chris Yamcha?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I'm glad that internet law exists for people to argue that a magic word can turn a threat into a non-threat. Surely this is a sound mind who will never try to justify violence as non-violence against a person who they have an imagined internet rivalry with.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Sappo569 posted:

What's happening with those sausages ?

2 minutes Turkish

2 minutes ? It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago

Classic CIG

This is precisely what popped into my head.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Squiddite
Apr 15, 2001
Loligo vos omnes odet.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Why are all the drinks in the same glass?

Wait, how the gently caress is all of this handle when it comes to gravity? Is everyone weightless or is the ship supposed to have a gravity well/generator?

Actually, has that ever been properly explained in ANY ship design?

This actually has a detailed and incredibly stupid answer in their lore articles: here and here

tl;dr: Artificial gravity is called "Lag" by characters in the 'verse. It consists of gravity goo, which is generated in a box and carried through pipes around your ship until it's blown out of the floor tiles at you. If you break the pipes, all the goo spills out and you have to mop it up. Spaceship walls are specially designed to stop the excess gravity from escaping into space.

edit: my mistake, gravity goo is actually harvested from somewhere called "interspace" and merely reheated inside your ship, you can restock on gravity midflight via yet another gameplay mechanic coming soon.

All of this makes sense because:

Squiddite fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 1, 2017

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

trucutru posted:

Is Chris Yamcha?

I don't know what this Yamcha is, but it sounds just like Raditz.

Hobold fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 1, 2017

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Squiddite posted:

Artificial gravity is called "Lag" by characters in the 'verse. It consists of gravity goo, which is generated in a box and carried through pipes around your ship until it's blown out of the floor tiles at you. If you break the pipes, all the goo spills out and you have to mop it up. Spaceship walls are specially designed to stop the excess gravity from escaping into space.

edit: my mistake, gravity goo is actually harvested from somewhere called "interspace" and merely reheated inside your ship, you you can restock on gravity midflight via yet another gameplay mechanic coming soon.
This is real by the way.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

thatguy posted:

This is real by the way.
If you're new I know you're going to read that and think it's just another ironic Goon post that couldn't possibly be true but you'll learn to kick that instinct shortly.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

thatguy posted:

This is real by the way.

I just checked. It is, and it makes me sad.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Chris Roberts posted:

As someone that was taking Physics at Manchester University before I dropped out to make games full time I can assure everyone that the physics model is COMPLETELY accurate and it’s a full rigid body simulation. I know because I wrote the code.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
So basically Chris Roberts dropped out of Manchester University.

Manchester.

University.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Hezzy posted:

So basically Chris Roberts dropped out of Manchester University.

Manchester.

University.

He is a game development prodigy