Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

Okay, serious question: Why do people like Gohan as a fighter? His entire combat life has been a long, long series of getting rage powerups that fail to actually accomplish jack poo poo, and the one time he actually seems set to do something with that power he fucks it up so badly his dad has to sacrifice his life to bail him out.

Gohan to nerd and family man is honestly way more compelling IMO.

it's just the cell fight really. nothing else before or after than point goes particularly well for gohan as a fighter, and even there he does the average saiyan gently caress up and needs to be bailed out by his dad

the ss2 transformation was cool tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

sharktamer posted:

Isn't super meant to be only 6 months after DBZ? Vegeta did say Gohan lost a lot of power in the cell to buu timeskip, but he was still ridiculously powerful, enough to make Supreme Kai and Kibito cack themselves (yeah I guess this is relative seeing as they both suck). That was a 7 year gap. Yet in 6 months he doesn't think he can even turn super saiyan let alone access his unlocked power.

I do like how even though Goku and Vegeta have been training in martial arts their whole lives and have reached stupid levels of power, they're still kinda poo poo. Many of the opponents in super have discovered massive flaws in their fighting style and they're still learning. It's kinda nice to have something other than the power pushing that dbz is famous for, although the god power ups have kinda kept that going regardless.

10 year old meme to you too.

one thing i have noticed is that, compared to a lot of the ppl they are fighting now, goku and vegeta are like ludicrously young. like hit is 1k+, beerus and zamasu are ancient, etc. so they're actually like insane prodigies in the cosmic sense

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Pureauthor posted:

Okay, serious question: Why do people like Gohan as a fighter? His entire combat life has been a long, long series of getting rage powerups that fail to actually accomplish jack poo poo, and the one time he actually seems set to do something with that power he fucks it up so badly his dad has to sacrifice his life to bail him out.

Gohan to nerd and family man is honestly way more compelling IMO.

The end of the Cell Saga

Manatee Cannon posted:

it's just the cell fight really. nothing else before or after than point goes particularly well for gohan as a fighter, and even there he does the average saiyan gently caress up and needs to be bailed out by his dad

the ss2 transformation was cool tho

Like he said, the Cell Saga was what did it. Gohan was always one of my favorite characters growing up because for just one second his character showed he could do better than the all powerful villain. Even though Goku and co. we're helping in the final parts of Cell Saga, I think it was a refreshing change of pace not seeing goku win the final fight, but him being replaced by his son. I thought it was a pretty good passing of the torch. That was one of the big reason why Cell Saga is my favorite, because it wasn't goku winning this time.

Then the Buu Saga had him growing up and neglecting his training, and then not being good enough to take on the biggest evilest threat though, so that's a thing.

That's why I want to see Gohan get his spotlight in the Tournament of power. Just think of it. Someone just as powerful as Goku, but...He has a brain

Also because he's my favorite character, I can't wait for the abridged episodes where he finally lets go. The years of parental neglect and life threatening situations culminate into him finally snapping.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 1, 2017

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Also, Gohan looks wrong in his dad's orange outfit and I hate it everytime he shows up wearing it. Piccolo or Great Saiyaman gear or nothing!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Maple Leaf posted:

I thought it was because they knew they were writing themselves into a corner if they used Buu. He's incredibly overpowered - one of the strongest warriors in the universe; invulnerable to pain; invincible short of destroying his every last atom all at once; a master mimic, capable of learning any technique once he's seen it; can heal anyone from any injury provided they survive it; really, think of any bullshit power you can and Buu probably has it or can learn it, and all of those examples aren't including techniques that murder people, such as turning people into candy by the thousands or absorbing his foes with chunks of his body. The only reason he didn't immediately curbstomp the dogman is because he thought he was playing a game until Mr. Satan's injury properly motivated him.

Frieza is the better option for the drama and intrigue, but if the writers wanted Universe 7 to win, Buu would have allowed them to win virtually unchallenged, which wouldn't have made for an exciting story.

This is a good post mostly because I wanted to post something like it. As much as I love Buu the rules of drama don't allow him to actually do stuff that matters. This is not a bad thing we are blessed to have Buu but also to be getting more story it's p much best of both worlds this way.

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhonne posted:

Also, Gohan looks wrong in his dad's orange outfit and I hate it everytime he shows up wearing it. Piccolo or Great Saiyaman gear or nothing!

We've already got one naked guy on the team, we really don't need two.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

reignofevil posted:

This is a good post mostly because I wanted to post something like it. As much as I love Buu the rules of drama don't allow him to actually do stuff that matters. This is not a bad thing we are blessed to have Buu but also to be getting more story it's p much best of both worlds this way.

Also the little insane multiversal dictator children would think that's really boring and then erase everything.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Buu is also not really a very dynamic character, either.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Gildiss posted:

Also the little insane multiversal dictator children would think that's really boring and then erase everything.

eh they'd probably be way into buu's antics. I bet they'd love gotenks

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
That being said, I still think Cell with proper motivation would've made for a good alternative, If only that Cell broadening his horizons and redefining perfect now that we all know that gods are way more powerful than him would've worked, and him working with gohan as team leader would've been pretty funny. You add all those animating spots though on top of the 72 other fighters you gotta do though, I understand.

TFRazorsaw posted:

There's really no objective reason to pick Cell. He's just as evil as Frieza, but also weaker.

Well poo poo, NOW he is. It's that thing where an evil dictator decides to actually get off his rear end and train is what did it. Why can't Cell train to become even more powerful? He never had a chance to, he was already more powerful and was also much more confident so he didn't really do much but wait until everybody else got ready in the Cell Games.

The reason why Frieza lost and Cell lost are the exact same thing, they were both too overconfident.

I'm sure with some creative work, Cell would be his own lawyer and find a loophole to get out of the afterlife and start a completely new saga full of revenge, one way better than Zamasu's lovely episode.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 1, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

There's really no objective reason to pick Cell. He's just as evil as Frieza, but also weaker.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they could have just said he was training in hell and suddenly he's stronger than freeza again. also giving him a new form would solve the spots problem

I don't mind having freeza personally but it's not like there' no way cell could work. they're pretty easily solved problems if the writers had wanted to use him

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

TFRazorsaw posted:

He's actually less evil than Freeza is. In the Cell Saga he was obviously not good, but he mostly just wanted good fights. King Yemma said that Freeza was basically the only one who never repented too which meant that Cell had to have.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Manatee Cannon posted:

they could have just said he was training in hell and suddenly he's stronger than freeza again. also giving him a new form would solve the spots problem

I don't mind having freeza personally but it's not like there' no way cell could work. they're pretty easily solved problems if the writers had wanted to use him

That's why I think Cell, just like Frieza, were shelved to make future plots with. I'm sure they'll make Cell a worthy villain again, and just like the filthy consumer i am, I would flock to it

RaspberryCommie posted:

He's actually less evil than Freeza is. In the Cell Saga he was obviously not good, but he mostly just wanted good fights. King Yemma said that Freeza was basically the only one who never repented too which meant that Cell had to have.

Yeah, that's why Cell was trying to bring the good fight in gohan, so he started doing some "heinous" poo poo to actually get it done. He just wanted to assert that he was number 1.

I think with a good reason, that's a pretty good motivator to bring him back.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 1, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

"Training in hell" doesn't really work, because based on Frieza it's pretty clear you don't get an opportunity to do things like that. You're forced to sit and suffer until you repent.

Besides, from what Yenma said, it seems like most of the bad guys have already been repented and reincarnated, so Cell likely no longer exists as we know him.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

TFRazorsaw posted:

"Training in hell" doesn't really work, because based on Frieza it's pretty clear you don't get an opportunity to do things like that. You're forced to sit and suffer until you repent.

Besides, from what Yenma said, it seems like most of the bad guys have already been repented and reincarnated, so Cell likely no longer exists as we know him.

I dunno, it could work. This series is simple enough that they'll find a good enough reason.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Monaghan posted:

Gt had one idea that was absolutely brillant were the dragon balls being the final enemy. They had long became a crutch in the show to get out of a bad situation. Now the heroes are getting punished for abusing their power.

However, for every good idea they had like 3 bad ones and the fight choreography was terrible. Plus the old joke of GT standing for "goku time" is depressingly accurate. That's why I actually love super, because it gives other characters a chance to shine. I'm looking forward to eighteen, krillin and piccolo kicking rear end during the tourney. Almost none of the villains in GT had a distinct personality.

The Dragon Balls being the final enemy of a show called Dragon Balls which began with the search of said Dragon Balls was loving brilliant. Hell, it was even made better by the fact that there were 7 dragons who could have fought against the 7 main warriors of GT (Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Trunks, Goten, Uub and Pan). But nope. As you said, GT was Goku Time, the Toyotaro before Toyotaro.

Although I disagree on Super. Till the Zamasu arc it was mostly the Goku and Vegeta show.

Fortunately it got better.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

RaspberryCommie posted:

Yeah, that stood out to me. Cell either repented or completely artificial beings, like Android 16, don't go to Other World. To be frank, I kind of like that angle. Freeza, the first major villain of Dragonball Z and the reason Goku ever went to Earth, is the most evil being in the universe, perhaps the multiverse. I loved that angle and I loved him trying to convince Universe 9 to let him work for them. I'm almost disappointed that didn't happen. It would have been awesome and, then, Yamcha could join the team.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
wrong thread

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

freeza did mental training in hell and he couldn't do anything else because he was bound in a cocoon. who's to say that the same would be true of anyone else

cell could also repent and go to that gathering of nerds that fight in the afterlife forever. problem solved

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Dexo posted:

wrong thread

does steph curry know the kaioken

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Manatee Cannon posted:

freeza did mental training in hell and he couldn't do anything else because he was bound in a cocoon. who's to say that the same would be true of anyone else

cell could also repent and go to that gathering of nerds that fight in the afterlife forever. problem solved

That's filler, apparently. IIRC, the actual thing that happens is you reincarnate because DBZ is based heavily on Japanese/chinese mythology. But it's never directly brought up in the comic and the show writers assumed.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Manatee Cannon posted:

The reincarnation of the wicked is different from the people who die and get to live peacefully in heaven.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Shards of Fate posted:

New poster for the tourney.

Ah, the Goku Goku Satsu.

Gokuma. (Gokui)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Covok posted:

That's filler, apparently. IIRC, the actual thing that happens is you reincarnate because DBZ is based heavily on Japanese/chinese mythology. But it's never directly brought up in the comic and the show writers assumed.

it's filler but so's gregory and he's still around

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I seriously don't get what people like so much about Cell. Sure, Imperfect Cell was kind of cool with his horror movie monster schtick, but the second he absorbed 17 he became indistinguishable from every other Z villain.

"Heh, you have no chance to beat me, I'm way stronger than you. What!? You got even strongerer!? HOW CAN THIS BE!?!?"

IWW Online Branch fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 1, 2017

Caros
May 14, 2008

Maple Leaf posted:

I thought it was because they knew they were writing themselves into a corner if they used Buu. He's incredibly overpowered - one of the strongest warriors in the universe; invulnerable to pain; invincible short of destroying his every last atom all at once; a master mimic, capable of learning any technique once he's seen it; can heal anyone from any injury provided they survive it; really, think of any bullshit power you can and Buu probably has it or can learn it, and all of those examples aren't including techniques that murder people, such as turning people into candy by the thousands or absorbing his foes with chunks of his body. The only reason he didn't immediately curbstomp the dogman is because he thought he was playing a game until Mr. Satan's injury properly motivated him.

Frieza is the better option for the drama and intrigue, but if the writers wanted Universe 7 to win, Buu would have allowed them to win virtually unchallenged, which wouldn't have made for an exciting story.

While I agree that Buu is fairly bullshit in a deathmatch, I think you are kind of overestimating how successful he'd be in the tournament. Buu suffers the same problem the U6 mooks did, he's easy to ring out if you are more powerful than him, and lots of people are more powerful than, or smarter than Buu. Yardrat guy dumps buu over the edge. Any of the strong Pride team members curbstomp him and roll him off the side while he is regenerating and so forth.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

TrilliontonNixon posted:

I seriously don't get what people like so much about Cell. Sure, Imperfect Cell was kind of cool with his horror movie monster schtick, but the second he absorbed 17 he became indistinguishable from every other Z villain.

"Heh, you have no chance to beat me, I'm way stronger than you. What!? You got even strongerer!? HOW CAN THIS BE!?!?"

it's all the voice acting, both in original and the dub

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Caros posted:

While I agree that Buu is fairly bullshit in a deathmatch, I think you are kind of overestimating how successful he'd be in the tournament. Buu suffers the same problem the U6 mooks did, he's easy to ring out if you are more powerful than him, and lots of people are more powerful than, or smarter than Buu. Yardrat guy dumps buu over the edge. Any of the strong Pride team members curbstomp him and roll him off the side while he is regenerating and so forth.

All Buu needs to do to not lose is simply fragment himself into millions of small pieces and scatter throughout the arena. Or just turn into pasty goo and meld into the arena. If Buu is actually using his brain, ringing out is not an option.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Shards of Fate posted:

What if that's not even Goku we're looking at

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

lezard_valeth posted:

All Buu needs to do to not lose is simply fragment himself into millions of small pieces and scatter throughout the arena. Or just turn into pasty goo and meld into the arena. If Buu is actually using his brain, ringing out is not an option.

what brain

also i like how you post this when it's also the premise of one of the comedy jobber villains in this arc

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Shinjobi posted:

What if that's not even Goku we're looking at
Caulifa the perfection of the gods? I'll allow it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
There's a very simple reason they keep bringing back Freeza and not Cell

Freeza is infinitely more popular

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

He could absorb Roshi.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Shards of Fate posted:

MESSATSU!

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Shards of Fate posted:

DOUBLE-POST-SATSU!

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jul 2, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

There's a very simple reason they keep bringing back Freeza and not Cell

Freeza is infinitely more popular

Also, his voice can melt the underwear off anyone.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

messatsu MURDEROUS INTENT
Buu was probably planned from the start to vanish to hype for Freiza having this grand finale showing as he's way more popular, interesting, plot greasing, and merchandisesible

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

watching more of Kai the final chapters.

Man, Kibito is super racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TFRazorsaw posted:

watching more of Kai the final chapters.

Man, Kibito is super racist.

In the Super manga, Shin actually points that out to Beerus when he's searching for a Kaioshin that'd hate mortals.

Needless to say, he's searching for Zamasu, but that causes one hilarious misunderstanding.

• Locked thread