Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

WhiteHowler posted:

Actually, another thing bothers me about the end of Heavensward's MSQ:

I understand what Ilberd was trying to do with his false-flag attack on Baelsar's Wall. He was trying to force the Garleans to retaliate or invade, which would spark a full-scale war with the Alliance. If the Alliance wins, Ala Mhigo is free.

What I don't get is the whole thing with Nidhogg's eyes. His fallback plan was to kill himself to summon a primal powerful enough to destroy the world (and Ala Mhigo with it)? And the way he talks after the fight, this was a key part of his plan all along. Maybe I'm missing something, but it doesn't make a lot of sense.

On top of what other posters have said...

There's an element of revenge. When the Empire invaded Ala Mhigo, none of the other nations came to its aid. Obviously it's not like the other nations were exactly in the best shape given the lack of unity and previous friction with Ala Mhigo but the point is that the Eorzean Alliance as it stands now doesn't really have much moral ground to stand on in regards to Ala Mhigo. They didn't help then, they didn't help after, and they aren't helping now. He sells the plan to the Resistance by making it both a chance to get back at the Empire as well as draw the Alliance into conflict with the Empire. But the real goal is revenge on everyone. The Empire for attacking Ala Mhigo, the Eorzeans for doing nothing the entire time, and you could even say the Ala Mhigans for not throwing out the invaders. For him, it stopped being about Ala Mhigo and was all about making GBS threads over everyone's face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Hatastrophe posted:

I'm not entirely sure why they reverted vitality to not adding to attack power for tanks. Am I in the minority in saying that I thought that was actually a positive change that encouraged tanks to equip, well, tank items? It feels like a strange thing to do and was kind of hoping to not see a situation where tanks are equipping strength items at the expensive of survivability, or worse yet forcing tanks to have both.

I dunno, like sure it's not hard to keep yourself alive as a tank with the proper use of cooldowns and keeping an eye out for tankbusters, but I don't think that going for accessories designed for other classes is a reasonable solution.

Literally the only complaint I heard about the old tank formula was that its introduction was a stealth nerf to tank damage since 45% vit and 45% str adds to less than 100%

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Hatastrophe posted:

I'm not entirely sure why they reverted vitality to not adding to attack power for tanks. Am I in the minority in saying that I thought that was actually a positive change that encouraged tanks to equip, well, tank items? It feels like a strange thing to do and was kind of hoping to not see a situation where tanks are equipping strength items at the expensive of survivability, or worse yet forcing tanks to have both.
They did it because weakness no longer reduces vitality so people don't end up with stupidly low HP after being revived. If they didn't revert it then tanks wouldn't be penalized for death as harshly as other roles. IDK how math works though, couldn't they just make weakness a reduction on outgoing damage rather than a stat loss?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

homeless snail posted:

They did it because weakness no longer reduces vitality so people don't end up with stupidly low HP after being revived. If they didn't revert it then tanks wouldn't be penalized for death as harshly as other roles. IDK how math works though, couldn't they just make weakness a reduction on outgoing damage rather than a stat loss?

This is what I expect to happen eventually.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

homeless snail posted:

This reasoning is bullshit for the reason you said, it could just be a damage penalty. The real reason is that they want tanks to do poo poo damage. You can probably count on them fixing the 270 slaying problem by making all jewelry role locked.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

This reasoning is bullshit for the reason you said, it could just be a damage penalty. The real reason is that they want tanks to do poo poo damage. You can probably count on them fixing the 270 slaying problem by making all jewelry role locked.

If that was the case they would make threat scale off vitality.

Hatastrophe
Sep 28, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Tanks would just go for lower level accessories then, which is insane. I do agree with you in thinking they want tanks to have lower DPS than actual DPS, but it blows my mind they'd revert things back to a state where there was a clear problem and literally have people do the exact same thing that caused them to make vitality provide attack power in the first place.

Like they changed it originally because tanks were equipping strength accessories instead of the tanks one, then changed it back and surprise, tanks are stacking strength again. I don't know why they couldn't see this coming from a mile away.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
MAN THAT LAST STORY FIGHT'S A DOOZY

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Fister Roboto posted:

And then we're back to the good old days of pentamelded crafted accessories. I'm sure everyone will be just thrilled about that.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

WhiteHowler posted:

I kind of hated the twist on that last story bit though. Tossing Nidhogg's eyes off a bridge is the fantasy equivalent of leaving an old sofa on the side of the road and being surprised when it disappears.

To be entirely fair, The abyss the bridge is suspended over is apparently a massive endless storm of wind aspected aether, so anything trying to go down there gets torn to shreds.

Ascians cheat, basically.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

hobbesmaster posted:

If that was the case they would make threat scale off vitality.

Meh, they'll make you stay in tank stance for more than a couple combos.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Rhymenoserous posted:

Some dumb teenagers on youtube tried this recently and failed.

holy poo poo

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Dr Pepper posted:

To be entirely fair, The abyss the bridge is suspended over is apparently a massive endless storm of wind aspected aether, so anything trying to go down there gets torn to shreds.

Ascians cheat, basically.

Wonder how many Ishgardian peons died making that thing.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

UHD posted:

A dragon did it

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

CuddlyZombie posted:

holy poo poo

I don't get it.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Why do people rage/care about winning and losing in PVP still? The exp is the same either way, except the pvp exp which doesn't matter. The gear is useless except for glamour. If I could send comms to the team the beat our tits off in 10 mins or less at frontlines I would. I guess if you were still going for the mounts it might be a pisser.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

vOv posted:

I don't get it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/29/us-woman-shoots-boyfriend-dead-youtube-stunt-boost-online-profile/

Givin posted:

Why do people rage/care about winning and losing in PVP still? The exp is the same either way, except the pvp exp which doesn't matter. The gear is useless except for glamour. If I could send comms to the team the beat our tits off in 10 mins or less at frontlines I would. I guess if you were still going for the mounts it might be a pisser.

I have resigned myself to the fact that I will never get the remaining gold and black Garo horses. I am pretty convinced that I am somehow the angel of death because every team I am on, be it in frontlines or the feast, always loses. I need 15 feast wins for the gold horse and 30 wins of either to get the black one, and I doubt that'll ever happen. I still do the daily roulette for XP and I'll do feast if it's in WT and maybe get the last of the stickers I need with second chance points that way, but I'm convinced I'll never get the wins I need.

I still try, though.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Givin posted:

I want those drat garo horses and those are locked behind wins because the people at SE are idiots in many ways.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Givin posted:

In most things in life winning is fun.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I can probably count the number of times I've seen a simple "..." when we lose on one hand since 4.0, let alone out and out "raging". I'm sure it happens but it has to be incredibly, incredibly rare (or someone is deliberately poking the hornet's nest to troll). It's always sort of annoying to see someone afk-run into the other team over and over, or see someone do the same into your team, but less because it affects the match outcome and more because it feels like a stupid exploit.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Obligatum VII posted:

And then we're back to the good old days of pentamelded crafted accessories. I'm sure everyone will be just thrilled about that.
My friend has already done some tests and found that accessories pentamelded with all Direct Hit is only about a 100-200 dps loss from the 270 str ones. :v:

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

No Red. No garish feathered hat.

0/10. VerFailure.

What gear is this? I too want to look like the MC from P5.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I don't care about winning PvP but I sure do care about getting that Hand of Mercy title. Played BLM a bit today and while it sure does a lot of damage, I felt like everyone was steeling my kills. Assholes!

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Those Mateus lunatics made a church :aaa:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Givin posted:

Winning feels good. Weird, I know.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I like Divine Benison, I decided.

I don't like Secret of the Lily II. That just smacks of "we have to give them something".

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
I've been trying to do Wondrous Tails to get that Wind-up Khloe because why not. Navel Extreme was a disappointment. People falling off the edge in the first and second phase. Repeatedly.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Logging everyone out on Omega (Chaos DC as a whole I assume) at once at 13:00 BST on a Saturday.

The gently caress you doin Square.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

The Steppes is a cool area, having 2 different honorable warrior clans was a little grating though. At least they came through and delivered on a humongous fight at the end that wasn't just a cutscene.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

UHD posted:

Here's an easy explanation: the bridge had been built prior to the formation of the giant abyssal storm that surrounds Ishgard, and after the Calamity, as the earth fell apart and wind aether became the storm, the supports of the bridge were thankfully kept afloat on the earth they'd been built upon, as that material floated like the islands in the Sea of Clouds.

So nobody HAD to die to make it.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Shy posted:

Those Mateus lunatics made a church :aaa:

What are the items between the pillars adding texture to the walls? I might want to steal this idea :v:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I like Divine Benison, I decided.

I don't like Secret of the Lily II. That just smacks of "we have to give them something".

it's probably the best of all the crappy 68 healer traits. can't go wrong with more reasons for stacking the best stats.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Holy crap are collectibles an effective way to level gathering.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

it's kind of weird that they added a psuedo heal that scales on tank hp after removing lustrate's %age heal

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Ignimbrite posted:

Holy crap are collectibles an effective way to level gathering.

is there a good guide/introduction to how to do this poo poo to level gatherers? I haven't really touched any of them since ARR

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

homeless snail posted:

They should absolutely do that. I don't care if tank damage remains in the toilet, it'd be justifiable if each point of Vit added less damage to a tank than each point of Mind adds to a healer since Vit has a secondary benefit. What's important is for itemization to be clear and intuitive.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Okay, certain gatherable items can be turned into collectibles using the Collector's Glove Ability. Use it before you click on what you're going to collect, and it'll pop up a progress bar similar to a crafting bar. Your job is to get that bar to a certain breakpoint with 3 steps, more or less. Most collectible items are on nodes with 6 gathering attempts, like Adamantite.

You have 3 skills that progress a collectible (Methodical Appraisal, Instinctual Appraisal, and Impulsive Appraisal) and some buffs (Discerning Eye, Utmost Caution, Deep Breath, Single Mind and Last Ditch).

Methodical Appraisal (MA) is a straightforward, 'strong' appraisal, 1x your perception rating worth of collectability points.
Instinctual Appraisal (INS) will increase collectibility points by 0.8x to 1.5x perception.
Impulsive Appraisal (IA) does 0.9x perception collectibility points and has a 30% chance to activate a free Discerning eye on your next appraisal.

Discerning Eye (DE) makes your appraisals more powerful.
Utmost Caution (UC) reduces your next appraisal wear by 10 points.
Deep Breath (DB) nullifies the next wear in 3 actions.
Single Mind (SM) lets you use an appraisal without using a gathering attempt.
Last Ditch (LD) lets you attempt to salvage a collectible if you massively gently caress it up. You should never need to use it.

The 'standard' appraisal rotation for a 6 gathering chance node, assuming 600gp, once it has been uncovered (leaving you 5 gathering attempts):

Basically, you buff up with DE, use IA to try and get a free DE, then depending on whether procs or not, you repeat the same thing. If it procs, you use SM to get one more gather chance and IA again to fish for another free DE. If it doesn't, you repeat again. At the end you DE > MA to finish off and gather.

Stormblood has added a new skill (Impulsive Appraisal 2, which is a clear upgrade to 1, and increases your chance for DE to proc off it by your perception rating) and adjusted some of the old ones but by and large this should work.

Your key goal for collectibles below 600gb is to get it as high as possible without going past those 30 'durability'; each buff costs 200gp (IIRC) so you might need to cope with only getting lower collectibility / fewer collectibles off a node. You should try to get to 600gp ASAP because of that.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Ignimbrite posted:

Okay, certain gatherable items can be turned into collectibles using the Collector's Glove Ability. Use it before you click on what you're going to collect, and it'll pop up a progress bar similar to a crafting bar. Your job is to get that bar to a certain breakpoint with 3 steps, more or less. Most collectible items are on nodes with 6 gathering attempts, like Adamantite.

You have 3 skills that progress a collectible (Methodical Appraisal, Instinctual Appraisal, and Impulsive Appraisal) and some buffs (Discerning Eye, Utmost Caution, Deep Breath, Single Mind and Last Ditch).

Methodical Appraisal (MA) is a straightforward, 'strong' appraisal, 1x your perception rating worth of collectability points.
Instinctual Appraisal (INS) will increase collectibility points by 0.8x to 1.5x perception.
Impulsive Appraisal (IA) does 0.9x perception collectibility points and has a 30% chance to activate a free Discerning eye on your next appraisal.

Discerning Eye (DE) makes your appraisals more powerful.
Utmost Caution (UC) reduces your next appraisal wear by 10 points.
Deep Breath (DB) nullifies the next wear in 3 actions.
Single Mind (SM) lets you use an appraisal without using a gathering attempt.
Last Ditch (LD) lets you attempt to salvage a collectible if you massively gently caress it up. You should never need to use it.

The 'standard' appraisal rotation for a 6 gathering chance node, assuming 600gp, once it has been uncovered (leaving you 5 gathering attempts):

Basically, you buff up with DE, use IA to try and get a free DE, then depending on whether procs or not, you repeat the same thing. If it procs, you use SM to get one more gather chance and IA again to fish for another free DE. If it doesn't, you repeat again. At the end you DE > MA to finish off and gather.

Stormblood has added a new skill (Impulsive Appraisal 2, which is a clear upgrade to 1, and increases your chance for DE to proc off it by your perception rating) and adjusted some of the old ones but by and large this should work.

Your key goal for collectibles below 600gb is to get it as high as possible without going past those 30 'durability'; each buff costs 200gp (IIRC) so you might need to cope with only getting lower collectibility / fewer collectibles off a node. You should try to get to 600gp ASAP because of that.

I thought Stormblood removed Deep Breath and Last Ditch.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
It may have; I don't even have them on my toolbar so I hadn't noticed :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
is the 100gp skill that doubles your yield on the next hit new or have i been very very dumb