Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Incessant Excess posted:

Does the game need a controller and/or a tablet sized screen to be enjoyable?
Naw I dig it, it's fun but kind of iffy until you unlock the first like 6 or 8 ships. Combat tends to be unfair and sometimes downright bullshit when you warp into a pile of baddies, but I had a couple weeks of good times playing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Quite a few sales going on atm. I snagged Door Kickers which is pretty cheap and looks fun to play on mobile.

There's also the Rusty Lake Roots and Rusty Lake Hotel.

(I'm Malaysian so am not sure what the prices are in dollars/other currencies, but these seem to have pretty big discounts atm)

Riller
Jun 16, 2008

Artelier posted:

Quite a few sales going on atm. I snagged Door Kickers which is pretty cheap and looks fun to play on mobile.

Door Kickers is really a lot of fun. I wasn't aware that a PC version existed until after I had already purchased this for Android. I can't say how well it plays on a phone, but it looks great and is easy to play on a tablet. First line of the game description: *** To play the game as intended, a screen of at least 5.7 inches is required ***

It's similar to Breach & Clear but different enough that it doesn't feel like you're playing the same game.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I've been having a lot of fun with King's Raid. It's very similar to Crusader's Quest or Seven Knights but the production quality is higher. The graphics and interface are fantastic. It's one of those games where the equipment is the gacha and all characters can reach maximum star rank. If I don't hit some kind of horrible pay wall in a couple of weeks I'll probably make a thread about it.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

coyo7e posted:

Naw I dig it, it's fun but kind of iffy until you unlock the first like 6 or 8 ships. Combat tends to be unfair and sometimes downright bullshit when you warp into a pile of baddies, but I had a couple weeks of good times playing it.

You get a map preview of how close enemies will be when you warp in. Sometimes it does a poor job of communicating exactly how far they will be though. In those type of situations you can wait a turn where you are currently are or use a distress beacon which will cause a force to come investigate your location (reducing the amount of ships you might warp into)

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

1-Up posted:

For my regional Play-store I get to choose "Games" then scroll down to "No wifi no problem"-section.

dang, selection is limited in comparison

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Away all Goats posted:

You get a map preview of how close enemies will be when you warp in. Sometimes it does a poor job of communicating exactly how far they will be though. In those type of situations you can wait a turn where you are currently are or use a distress beacon which will cause a force to come investigate your location (reducing the amount of ships you might warp into)

You can also set which of the nine (?) parts of the system you want to arrive in, so you can drop in at the far side of a sector where there's fewer of the enemy ships, kill those two and then possibly have time to jump away again if the other ships are far enough away.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Adventure game Oxenfree is now out for Android.

Also out widely, that new Futurama game.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jun 28, 2017

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

mrkillboy posted:

Also out widely, that new Futurama game.

Oxenfree is a pretty good game. If you're after a creepy point and clicky adventure, it's well worth a look.

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I've been having a lot of fun with King's Raid. It's very similar to Crusader's Quest or Seven Knights but the production quality is higher. The graphics and interface are fantastic. It's one of those games where the equipment is the gacha and all characters can reach maximum star rank. If I don't hit some kind of horrible pay wall in a couple of weeks I'll probably make a thread about it.

I've been playing this for a couple weeks and I haven't hit a pay wall. I've got two T2 and one T1 character in my group. I'm gonna T1 my priest as soon as I get another Infinity Stone. Should be next week.

They give you so much free stuff.

I spend an average of 300 rubies a day on refreshes and still end up gaining rubies at the end of the week, if not each day.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

mrkillboy posted:

Oh poo poo, nice. I was tempted to pick this up on PS4 but I feel like it'll do much better on a phone. I've got a long flight coming up in a month, might save it for then.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
A really important thing for people just coming to Battlevoid Harbinger to know is to make sure you can handle both shields AND hull. It's really easy to just put all your eggs in one damage type and then wonder why you get hosed.

Also protip, laser point defense with 1 point of hull damage upgrade will shoot down basically any missile. Fill your ship with them and you'll take a LOT less damage.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...
Been having fun with the recently released Age of Rivals, an interesting little CCG deck-builder type game where you do the usual buying cards and building things, but the way the turns resolve is kind of interesting. It's pretty nifty. The only problem so far is that the online component is a bit crappy--you lose connection a lot during matches, but the good news is that if you're just playing the computer, you can be offline.

Anyway, it's $.99 right now... also, no IAP.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.robotogames.ageofrivals&hl=en

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.
Just curious if anyone on here has a recommendation for a grand strategy kind of game. I was playing Sandbox: Strategy & Tactics for quite a while and it was pretty decent, but I'd like something that I can purchase and play without worrying about ads/being nickle & dimed to death. Any ideas?

Basically, looking for a cell phone Hearts of Iron, but I'm pretty sure I'll never find it :smith:.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Mini Metro, 50k+ downloads, 4.8 stars, no IAPs, is on sale right now for 1 dollar:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nz.co.codepoint.minimetro

I bought it and it seems neat but I have a tough time telling whether or not I'm doing well and I also can't seem to remove stops from a route?

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Super Samurai Rampage is a pretty cool arcade game with simple swipe controls and some very gorgeous looking pixel art.

Zander13
Apr 6, 2011

Incessant Excess posted:

Mini Metro, 50k+ downloads, 4.8 stars, no IAPs, is on sale right now for 1 dollar:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nz.co.codepoint.minimetro

I bought it and it seems neat but I have a tough time telling whether or not I'm doing well and I also can't seem to remove stops from a route?

You can't remove stops but you can move routes around to accommodate the load of passengers if you are playing on the "easy" mode. Best way to tell if you are doing good is not have a stop being overloaded. You will get to a point where you can't help it but that is the goal.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Futurama game's not that great but I have a few good length flights coming up so it'll keep me amused for that at least.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Zander13 posted:

You can't remove stops but you can move routes around to accommodate the load of passengers if you are playing on the "easy" mode. Best way to tell if you are doing good is not have a stop being overloaded. You will get to a point where you can't help it but that is the goal.

Okay, so once I connect a route to a certain stop I can never disconnect it?

Zander13
Apr 6, 2011

Incessant Excess posted:

Okay, so once I connect a route to a certain stop I can never disconnect it?

Depending on the difficulty you play, you can. You should be able to pause the game and move your routes around.

Zander13
Apr 6, 2011
I believe if you press and hold on the stop you will be able to remove the stop off of the route.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Zander13 posted:

I believe if you press and hold on the stop you will be able to remove the stop off of the route.

Thanks, I just managed to do it. What I did was start touching a route, then drag my finger to the stop, then drag the route off of the stop I wanna remove. It's definitely a lil fiddly but it works.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

The Futurama game's not that great but I have a few good length flights coming up so it'll keep me amused for that at least.

I wanted it to be good but it doesn't seem like a winner so far.

Hopefully Brawl Stars gets an Android release soon. I need a new obsession.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

A really important thing for people just coming to Battlevoid Harbinger to know is to make sure you can handle both shields AND hull. It's really easy to just put all your eggs in one damage type and then wonder why you get hosed.

Also protip, laser point defense with 1 point of hull damage upgrade will shoot down basically any missile. Fill your ship with them and you'll take a LOT less damage.

This game is really growing on me. Any more hints? I only just worked out that I should get as many reinforcement ships asap.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

NPR Journalizard posted:

This game is really growing on me. Any more hints? I only just worked out that I should get as many reinforcement ships asap.

I personally love getting as many fighters as possible and using missile launchers as I can loot them from enemy ships. It's not the most effective strategy in the world, but is a huge amount of fun.

The bolter fighters (the cheapest class of fighter) are actually very nice once you start to upgrade them a bit, but if you really want nice fighters you can go for the bolter drones.

Plasma bombers are a nice accompaniment to your fighters, they sit farther away and do very nice damage to shields.

Otherwise, if you want to go a more traditional dakka path, be sure to get a nice mix of anti-shield and anti-hull weapons. Spending your first scrap on an energy cannon and then saving up to get a projectile cannon is always a safe move. I like to upgrade my projectile cannon's hull damage right away, as an extra 10/20 damage can be the difference between you running away and them dying.

Don't be averse to using distress beacons, especially if you can lure enemy ships into a sector with a friendly battlestation/merc. Every kill nets you scrap and greenies, so you want to be sure to wipe out as many enemies as possible.

If you go with missiles and want a nice end-game weapon, nuke cannon is your friend. If you go dakka, I like the particle turret.

Point defense should be a pretty even mix of gatlings and lasers. Try to get more lasers pointed towards where you are expecting missiles to be coming in and more gatlings pointed towards where you are expecting fighters to be coming in.

USMC_Karl fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 30, 2017

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

FistEnergy posted:

I wanted it to be good but it doesn't seem like a winner so far.

I mean, it's made by the people who did the Family Guy game that was a direct rip of the Simpsons Tapped Out. The MO of those games are to grind constantly for a common in-game currency to build stuff and unlock characters. Then there's a secondary rare in-game currency that you use to speed up stuff or buy rare buildings or characters. That leads to spending real money to get Calculon or Disco Stu or whatever because they are 200 blurps and you can get a special offer of 250 blurps for $9.99. I don't know how anyone saw the the build-up to this Futurama game and expected something good.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

FistEnergy posted:

Hopefully Brawl Stars gets an Android release soon. I need a new obsession.

Unfortunately it looks like you might have a bit of a wait for an Android release.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
There's a game that came up in this thread quite a while ago called Minesweeper: Collector which is, so far, the best Minesweeper I've played on mobile.

Just in case you didn't catch it or don't remember, it has a couple basic modes that use both squares and hexes. First is classic Minesweeper, which is pretty much exactly what you'd expect. Second is the main focus of the game with themed levels. There are 8 Episodes and 4 Hardcore Episodes filled with levels with different layouts. For example, Episode 1 has 4 collections with 9 layouts in each one, and each layout has 6 different puzzles (Easy, Medium and Hard versions of both square and hex tiles), and later episodes have even more. You don't have to beat all 216 levels in Episode 1 to move on to Episode 2, but there is a gating system. I don't remember exactly how it works since it was a while ago, but I don't remember it being bad.

Gameplay is pretty much standard Minesweeper with some tweaks. First, you start every level with an empty spot automatically cleared so you have a starting point. Next, while it is possible to get in a situation where you're forced to guess, i.e. this:

there's a system that allows you to safely guess by marking where you think the mines are and adjusting until you're correct. There is also a lives system and how many you have is based on the difficulty. Finally there are items unlocked with a leveling system. Once unlocked, items will occasionally show up in empty spots and can also be bought with gold, an in-game currency. They're things like extra lives, mark a certain number of mines or reveal all spaces with a certain number. They're more helpful when puzzles hit the guessing stage early, like this:

There's no premium currency, just a one-time purchase to remove ads and unlock backgrounds and themes.

Since it came up in the thread they've added a couple things. The oldest is pets, which are first unlocked by gold then made usable and upgraded by solving Minesweeper puzzles. For each of the three versions of a pet you have to complete two puzzles without hitting a single mine, though items are still usable. During any non-classic or non-pet puzzle they can show up and will offer a few choices of things like items and gold so you can pick whatever you need at the time.

And, just added for premium users (for now while they make sure the servers are good) yesterday and the reason I'm even making this post, is the Online mode where you go into Dungeons. Dungeons are massive levels with 10s of thousands of mines which have people cooperatively solving them to find gems and the stairs leading to the second level, which requires a certain rating aquired through the gems to get to. I haven't had a ton of time to play since the update came out, but if you're interested, check out this guide they had for the test versions. If you have premium, you might want to take a look, it seems pretty nifty from what I've seen.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Onean posted:

There's a game that came up in this thread quite a while ago called Minesweeper: Collector which is, so far, the best Minesweeper I've played on mobile.

Just in case you didn't catch it or don't remember, it has a couple basic modes that use both squares and hexes. First is classic Minesweeper, which is pretty much exactly what you'd expect. Second is the main focus of the game with themed levels. There are 8 Episodes and 4 Hardcore Episodes filled with levels with different layouts. For example, Episode 1 has 4 collections with 9 layouts in each one, and each layout has 6 different puzzles (Easy, Medium and Hard versions of both square and hex tiles), and later episodes have even more. You don't have to beat all 216 levels in Episode 1 to move on to Episode 2, but there is a gating system. I don't remember exactly how it works since it was a while ago, but I don't remember it being bad.

Gameplay is pretty much standard Minesweeper with some tweaks. First, you start every level with an empty spot automatically cleared so you have a starting point. Next, while it is possible to get in a situation where you're forced to guess, i.e. this:

there's a system that allows you to safely guess by marking where you think the mines are and adjusting until you're correct. There is also a lives system and how many you have is based on the difficulty. Finally there are items unlocked with a leveling system. Once unlocked, items will occasionally show up in empty spots and can also be bought with gold, an in-game currency. They're things like extra lives, mark a certain number of mines or reveal all spaces with a certain number. They're more helpful when puzzles hit the guessing stage early, like this:

There's no premium currency, just a one-time purchase to remove ads and unlock backgrounds and themes.

Since it came up in the thread they've added a couple things. The oldest is pets, which are first unlocked by gold then made usable and upgraded by solving Minesweeper puzzles. For each of the three versions of a pet you have to complete two puzzles without hitting a single mine, though items are still usable. During any non-classic or non-pet puzzle they can show up and will offer a few choices of things like items and gold so you can pick whatever you need at the time.

And, just added for premium users (for now while they make sure the servers are good) yesterday and the reason I'm even making this post, is the Online mode where you go into Dungeons. Dungeons are massive levels with 10s of thousands of mines which have people cooperatively solving them to find gems and the stairs leading to the second level, which requires a certain rating aquired through the gems to get to. I haven't had a ton of time to play since the update came out, but if you're interested, check out this guide they had for the test versions. If you have premium, you might want to take a look, it seems pretty nifty from what I've seen.

I'm also playing this and it's pretty well made, only negative is how many easy stages it has you play through before opening more challenging ones.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Incessant Excess posted:

I'm also playing this and it's pretty well made, only negative is how many easy stages it has you play through before opening more challenging ones.

Hey guys, straight port of PC roguelite Don't Starve is currently really cheap, and I wanna say it's really good but I don't actually know yet because I just keep dying. It's definitely really pretty. Has a great graphics and sound style.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kleientertainment.doNotStarvePocket&hl=en

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

:siren: SALES! :siren:
Final Fantasy Tactics: War Of The Lions is on sale for $5.99
Reigns is on sale for $0.99
Star Wars: KOTOR is on sale for $2.99

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I've been eyeing Don't Starve for a while. I'm grabbing it, thanks!

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Dancer posted:

Hey guys, straight port of PC roguelite Don't Starve is currently really cheap, and I wanna say it's really good but I don't actually know yet because I just keep dying. It's definitely really pretty. Has a great graphics and sound style.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kleientertainment.doNotStarvePocket&hl=en

How is the UI? Would a 5.5" phone be suitable you think?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Oh nice. Had been thinking about touching one of those games (Only ever played the gameboy advance versions).

1) How well does it play on a normal smartphone
2) How does it vibe with interruptions? Could I save mid-battle? Is it a big to-do/time waster to jump back into interrupted battles, or even just start a random/generic battle?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Dancer posted:

Thank you so much for this!! :toot:

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Kheldarn posted:

:siren: SALES! :siren:
Final Fantasy Tactics: War Of The Lions is on sale for $5.99
Reigns is on sale for $0.99
Star Wars: KOTOR is on sale for $2.99

How's Reigns, is it as good as it's hyped up to be?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Forktoss posted:

How's Reigns, is it as good as it's hyped up to be?

I had 99¢ of fun with it. If you're a completionist it might frustrate you, though.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Chinook posted:

I had 99¢ of fun with it. If you're a completionist it might frustrate you, though.

Look up how to get the ending. If you don't do it before time runs out you have to start over.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Never mind about FFT. Seems like it's too much hassle to get invested in if there aren't ways to (normally) back up your save, and it crashes a bunch, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

The Duggler posted:

How is the UI? Would a 5.5" phone be suitable you think?

The ui is playable but a bit cramped on a pixel XL. Completely playable though and I'm having a blast with it.