Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Zeris posted:

A person gives a speech and lies and gladhands for votes

Oh fine I guess

A person gives a speech and lies and gladhands for money

Well I never, and don't dare defend such a person!

Both of those are bad things and not good ones. Idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

bring back the mckinley stoop campaign

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

key for comedy i mean. anyone looking for policy stuff shouldnt be watching late-night shows anyway

imo the fake news narrative is in part responsible for driving away viewers from actual news channels causing them to try to compete as a form of infotainment. essentially morning joe, fox and friends and the late shows are all filling the same sort of niche of fluff and sports team politics and for a lot of people working 9-5 with families that will constitute the entirety of their political awareness. people looking for policy stuff probably will find it either in print or c-span but I figure most people let information trickle to them through friends and television

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Both of those are bad things and not good ones. Idiot

Can you wrap your brain around the possibility I was pointing out a double standard

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Zeris posted:

R

Atings

Ah. I see. Carry on then.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

consumed by normies posted:

its pretty insane that people just being nazis online is a common and daily thing now when like 3 years ago you had to actually look for them and they were just rare freaks to laugh at. thank u 4chan
the rumor is that /pol/ got a bunch of bitcoin money to buy old accounts, create new ones, and buy those "Silent Majority" avatars for said accounts. i'd believe it, they seem that spiteful

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

get that OUT of my face posted:

the rumor is that /pol/ got a bunch of bitcoin money to buy old accounts, create new ones, and buy those "Silent Majority" avatars for said accounts. i'd believe it, they seem that spiteful

i mean thats obviously not true but it sounds like a good excuse to ban them all

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

whoever made those MAGA pixel art avatars are either creative jerks or

well, I like those avatars. they took a lot of work

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Weeping Wound posted:

whoever made those MAGA pixel art avatars are either creative jerks or

well, I like those avatars. they took a lot of work
the ones that aren't the same lion image over and over are good pieces of work, shame that they belong to nazi chud posters

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

the ones that aren't the same lion image over and over are good pieces of work, shame that they belong to nazi chud posters

yeah rip, wasted for the most part

same with Hamprince's

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
They aren't all Trump supporters.
Some liberals who do not like hillary got them

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Hemingway To Go! posted:

They aren't all Trump supporters.
Some liberals who do not like hillary got them
Three Olives got one lol

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Les Os posted:

imo the fake news narrative is in part responsible for driving away viewers from actual news channels causing them to try to compete as a form of infotainment. essentially morning joe, fox and friends and the late shows are all filling the same sort of niche of fluff and sports team politics and for a lot of people working 9-5 with families that will constitute the entirety of their political awareness. people looking for policy stuff probably will find it either in print or c-span but I figure most people let information trickle to them through friends and television

The major news sources have done themselves no favors and calling them Fake-news gets the point across without nuance. I mean just look at the New York Times firing their copy-editor desk which is the group responsible for fact-checking. Accurate news reporting isn't a priority anymore, let alone reporting on "important" events.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

key for comedy i mean. anyone looking for policy stuff shouldnt be watching late-night shows anyway

Politics as entertainment is the only exposure a vast number of people get to politics at all, and its made worse by political comedians encouraging viewers to consider their jokes as important #resistance.

I could also just be grumpy about dumb Trump jokes taking up any amount of space while horrid poo poo happens off stage. Maybe I hate fun.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
The Jim Jefferies show has been pretty good so far as a comedy news show. He seems to get how not to make it preachy and not come off as smug, just tell a bunch of funny jokes about news. There aren't many clips on youtube yet, only the stuff released by CC that isn't always the best part of the episode.

Bear Retrieval Unit has issued a correction as of 18:58 on Jul 1, 2017

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

https://mobile.twitter.com/ekotchi/status/880933463511244802?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=about%3Asrcdoc

it was about sleep disorders

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

That's actually pretty funny

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

lol

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

The Jim Jefferies show has been pretty good so far as a comedy news show. He seems to get how not to make it preachy and not come off as smug, just tell a bunch of funny jokes about news. There aren't many clips on youtube yet, only the stuff released by CC that isn't always the best part of the episode.
when i saw that jim jefferies had another "comedian talks about current events" show, it was enough to make me not want to watch it, especially since the most memorable standup bit he's done was the story about how he had a sex toy stuck up his rear end, and his previous show Legit was a real overlooked gem. but i'll keep that in mind
outside of giving arthur chu the basis to have a platform, jeopardy owns

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

when i saw that jim jefferies had another "comedian talks about current events" show, it was enough to make me not want to watch it, especially since the most memorable standup bit he's done was the story about how he had a sex toy stuck up his rear end, and his previous show Legit was a real overlooked gem. but i'll keep that in mind

outside of giving arthur chu the basis to have a platform, jeopardy owns

I'd say his gun control bit is much more memorable. The sex toy story is mostly known because he got punched while telling it at one point.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I enjoyed his Black Pete segment, if only for the Frank Anne.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

consumed by normies posted:

its pretty insane that people just being nazis online is a common and daily thing now when like 3 years ago you had to actually look for them and they were just rare freaks to laugh at. thank u 4chan

Three years ago all the nazis posted here.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

The Kingfish posted:

What ever happened with Sam Bee showing up at Left Forum to get footage of crazy leftists? Did that ever show up on her show.

most comedy/news shows shoot packages they don't end up using for coverage and i'm guessing she didn't get enough b-roll of insane people for her liking

or, more likely, the people she talked to were reasonable and said a lot of things her audience would like and that was very much not the tone she wanted for the piece

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

it's not hard to find nuts at the Left Forum, as per Amber A'Lee Frost's article

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

jesus. poo poo like this reads like verhoven level parody sometimes.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
that's the former australian prime minister lmao

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

I really appreciate one of the outcomes of 2016 being real people discarding the media class

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

https://twitter.com/Essence/status/881474748357783552

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Is this wokeness?

Stepan Arkadyevitch took in and read a liberal paper, not an extreme one, but one advocating the views held by the majority. And in spite of the fact that science, art, and politics had no special interest for him, he firmly held those views on all these subjects which were held by the majority and by his paper, and he only changed them when the majority changed them—or, more strictly speaking, he did not change them, but they imperceptibly changed of themselves within him.
Stepan Arkadyevitch had not chosen his political opinions or his views; these political opinions and views had come to him of themselves, just as he did not choose the shapes of his hat and coat, but simply took those that were being worn. And for him, living in a certain society—owing to the need, ordinarily developed at years of discretion, for some degree of mental activity—to have views was just as indispensable as to have a hat. If there was a reason for his preferring liberal to conservative views, which were held also by many of his circle, it arose not from his considering liberalism more rational, but from its being in closer accordance with his manner of life. The liberal party said that in Russia everything is wrong, and certainly Stepan Arkadyevitch had many debts and was decidedly short of money. The liberal party said that marriage is an institution quite out of date, and that it needs reconstruction; and family life certainly afforded Stepan Arkadyevitch little gratification, and forced him into lying and hypocrisy, which was so repulsive to his nature. The liberal party said, or rather allowed it to be understood, that religion is only a curb to keep in check the barbarous classes of the people; and Stepan Arkadyevitch could not get through even a short service without his legs aching from standing up, and could never make out what was the object of all the terrible and high-flown language about another world when life might be so very amusing in this world. And with all this, Stepan Arkadyevitch, who liked a joke, was fond of puzzling a plain man by saying that if he prided himself on his origin, he ought not to stop at Rurik and disown the first founder of his family—the monkey. And so Liberalism had become a habit of Stepan Arkadyevitch’s, and he liked his newspaper, as he did his cigar after dinner, for the slight fog it diffused in his brain.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the modern meaning for "woke" was first used in a 2008 song by Erykah Badu, and for a few years people who listened to that song thought she was just speaking gibberish. either people figured out what she was saying or we got crazier as a people in 2014

Milky Moor posted:

that's the former australian prime minister lmao
australia is the most america-like country

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 20:00 on Jul 3, 2017

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

australia is the most america-like country

Corporations frequently use Australia as a test market for new products, because it's pretty similar to America in a lot of ways. However, it's a compartively small population, really far away, and not that important to Americans, so if the product totally crashes and burns, the PR fallout is minimal.

For every Crystal Pepsi we laugh about decades later, 10 we're quietly tested on unwitting Aussies and then abandoned.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

mrmcd posted:

Corporations frequently use Australia as a test market for new products, because it's pretty similar to America in a lot of ways. However, it's a compartively small population, really far away, and not that important to Americans, so if the product totally crashes and burns, the PR fallout is minimal.

For every Crystal Pepsi we laugh about decades later, 10 we're quietly tested on unwitting Aussies and then abandoned.

Good.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Test a return to the monarchy will ya

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Zeris posted:

Test a return to the monarchy will ya

australia is still a monarchy sorta

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

mrmcd posted:

Coke just released 'Coke No Sugar' and is killing off the fairly popular Coke Zero line. I haven't tried it yet, but Its probably poo poo. Coke Life went so poorly that they reformulated it with less sugar and now call it 'Coke With Stevia'. So that's three low joule sodas in three years.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Coke Zero was just DIet Coke that men were allowed to drink without feeling emasculated.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

withak posted:

Coke Zero was just DIet Coke that men were allowed to drink without feeling emasculated.

Coke Zero actually tastes like Coke whereas Diet Coke is awful

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

it's not hard to find nuts at the Left Forum, as per Amber A'Lee Frost's article

as someone who's actually been to and paneled at left forum, that article sucks rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

withak posted:

Technically they have different fake sugar chemicals if you are the kind of person to sperg out over diet soda. For 99.9% of people it's all "manly diet Coke" marketing bullshit.