Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

My dad phoned me about watching the NASCAR in the 70's special.

He got all nostalgic upon seeing Bobby Isaac said that was his "Favorite driver" growing up,. Told me about how he missed the 70's era of the sport, and even painted his slot cars/hot wheels like the Petty Superbird apparently as a hobby.

I do think this is funny because it counters the narrative NASCAR has that the people outside the south only cared about NASCAR after 1979, etc

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Peanut President posted:

To be fair, lots of bad drivers have lucked into winning Daytona. Ward Burton, Derrike Cope, Sterling Marlin, Mario Andretti, etc. Only one bad driver has lucked into winning a Nextel Cup Championship.

:master:

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

FuzzySkinner posted:

I do think this is funny because it counters the narrative NASCAR has that the people outside the south only cared about NASCAR after 1979, etc

I mean, I've posted it before but they ran two NASCAR races literally a bike ride away from where I live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMAzO-0uXq0

2 mile flat triangle on an auxiliary airfield

VikingSkull fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 30, 2017

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

I mean, I've posted it before but they ran two NASCAR races literally a bike ride away from where I live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMAzO-0uXq0

2 mile flat triangle on an auxiliary airfield

Well exactly.

It just feels like NASCAR has always been a thing "nationally" if one has some sort of interest in cars. I imagine if you were the sort of person that read stuff like "car and driver", enjoyed slot cars, models, diecasts...whatever. The odds are good that your attention would probably watch stock cars on ABC's "Wide World of Sports" or hit the local short track to see modifieds, etc.

I think perhaps the "treating a driver like he was a n NFL franchise" sort of thing came with a wave of fans from the 'burbs in the 90's perhaps? Maybe that's what NASCAR goes :allears: over.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

People are confusing rural and southern, it's pretty common.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

http://jeffgluck.com/nascar-journalism-usa-today-attendance-story-reaction/

"EVERYTHING IS FINE drat THE FREE PRESS AND THEIR FAKE NEWS!"

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

CBJSprague24 posted:

http://jeffgluck.com/nascar-journalism-usa-today-attendance-story-reaction/

"EVERYTHING IS FINE drat THE FREE PRESS AND THEIR FAKE NEWS!"

quote:

“You hosed us!” he said.

“Come on, did I?” I asked.

“Oh, I don’t know, that’s just what they told us in the meeting,” he said. “I didn’t read it.”

hahaha. at least the drivers seemed to be fairly level headed about it.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

big nipples big life posted:

People are confusing rural and southern, it's pretty common.

yeah it's this, NASCAR has always been a rural sport

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Crazy Jeff Gluck peddling fake news at the failing USA Today (which I never read). Very sad!

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
be honest though, does anyone read USA Today

if you do you probably also spend way too much time in an airport

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Who the hell is Ato Boldon and how did he end up on the NASCAR on NBC broadcast team?

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

CBJSprague24 posted:

Who the hell is Ato Boldon and how did he end up on the NASCAR on NBC broadcast team?

more importantly did you hear about diabetes?

diabetes

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ato_Boldon

I mean I kinda welcome the guy. This isn't the first time NASCAR has had an "outsider" involved in broadcasting. (Sir Jackie, Hobbo. Even though both have been involved in both auto racing and american auto racing)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I'm cool with him, it just seemed random.

Also, I am attending exciting NASCAR Xfinity Series racing tonight, let's go a Spencer Gallagher. My friend flew Allegiant down to get here, so you owe me that much. :colbert:

E- Steady, moderate rain, yet we stay green. :wtc:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 1, 2017

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Rutlege Wood was making fun of (I believe) David Pearson last night for having a smoke after a race.

He did it in the most cringeworthy way..I'm just posting to say, gently caress Rutlege Wood.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

This MMA fight during the rain delay is the goofiest poo poo and I love it

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

it has rained at the same time every day for about 3 weeks, racing in the evening in fl in july is dumb.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

it has rained at the same time every day for about 3 weeks, racing in the evening in fl in july is dumb.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

VikingSkull posted:

be honest though, does anyone read USA Today

if you do you probably also spend way too much time in an airport

USA today owns a lot of newspapers in the midwest so technically I do everyday.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

NXS is tomorrow at Noon on CNBC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUJaD9voCzE

They could've tried to dry it tonight because it's not raining here now. I'd have rather done that than sit in the sauna tomorrow.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

:agreed:

:wrong:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The best Pepsi 400 I ever attended was the 1998 one because gently caress July in Florida for all its worth.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The best Pepsi 400 I ever attended was the 1998 one because gently caress July in Florida for all its worth.

the only thing better than rainy florida is a florida that is burning

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Rutlege Wood V. Michael Waltrip.

Who's worse?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FuzzySkinner posted:

Rutlege Wood V. Michael Waltrip.

Who's worse?

Waltrip, because he's in the booth. Wood is just that goofy garage reporter who they wheel out only for pre-race and rain delay stuff.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

How many laps were done last night?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Norns posted:

How many laps were done last night?

Like 12

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

ayy it's raining in florida in july again, wow

forecast: t-storms at 2 and 7 lol

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ayy it's raining in florida in july again, wow

forecast: t-storms at 2 and 7 lol

:downs:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

VikingSkull posted:

I wonder what type of cladding they used on the new grandstand

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

exploded mummy posted:

Asbestos

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

exploded mummy posted:

Just keep it away from fireworks displays.

oh wai

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

VikingSkull posted:

Just leave Kermit Weekes' hangers alone.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

God drat restart caught me flat footed. I was at the merch tents at the farmers market never thinking they would get the restart anywhere near that fast.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

God drat restart caught me flat footed. I was at the merch tents at the farmers market never thinking they would get the restart anywhere near that fast.

Find any jon wood diecasts?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

No.

William Byron was just screaming about Logano and Dillon locking bumpers for an entire lap.

E- There's no pit box 13 here. 12-12A-14.

Are people still scared of the #13?

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 1, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Overtime

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
lol at whoever tried to flat out murder Logano

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

SRA should've held his line but has little damage in spite of that.

• Locked thread