Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

it's also not even true. healers can and will die to trash mobs if they pull aggro in like tam-tara.

lmao no they won't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

nuru posted:

It's not hard to hold aggro as a GLD in the lower level dungeons, it's just not as easy as MRD/DRK. Brayflox was when it started to feel dicey, but now you get Shield Oath at 30.

this is true if you're synced down, but if you're a leveling tank with level-synced players, it's definitely not 'not hard'.

kojei posted:

lmao no they won't

oh sorry i missed the change where healers don't get interrupted anymore lmao my bad dude

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

this is true if you're synced down, but if you're a leveling tank with level-synced players, it's definitely not 'not hard'.

oh sorry i missed the change where healers don't get interrupted anymore lmao my bad dude

I missed where healers should pull aggro ever, for any reason. DPS should pull way before healers do unless the healer is overhealing like mad. Plus, DPS can pick up the slack re: saving the healer. If they don't, they are Bad.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Stop standing in dumb.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

i've heal-tanked tam-tara, you definitely don't need a tank for it.

well, actually, a tank joined in after the second "boss", so i cant speak for the final stretch

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

CuddlyZombie posted:

i've heal-tanked tam-tara, you definitely don't need a tank for it.

well, actually, a tank joined in after the second "boss", so i cant speak for the final stretch

Given that Haukke is doable without a tank if everyone has kept up on gear (a dubious notion while leveling), I'd be surprised if tam-tara wasn't doable without a tank.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

I did the main quest for SB as an astrologian, thinking I could bypass all the side quests and follow up with my BLM and maybe RDM once the dps rush wore down, but the queues are still just too long for a semi-casual player.

I'll probably switch gears and work on my PLD and just fit in dps if/when FC mates shout out for a quick queue. Also, there's always daily hunts and beast tribes, but I find potd incredibly dull. How are pvp queues?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
It's definitely possible to die with bad play in those earliest dungeons but they're also incredibly forgiving and experienced players can exploit that to cut all sorts of corners.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I've actually healed brayflox as a 3-man without a tank, though the last boss was really dicey.

The two DPS coordinated pretty well and alternated "tanking", which left me free to cast heal spells as needed.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

apostateCourier posted:

I missed where healers should pull aggro ever, for any reason. DPS should pull way before healers do unless the healer is overhealing like mad. Plus, DPS can pick up the slack re: saving the healer. If they don't, they are Bad.

Hey guys I know you're all arguing about apples but have you heard of these oranges?

apostateCourier what on earth did you think you were adding to that conversation :v:

No poo poo healers shouldn't pull agro ever. No loving poo poo. Everybody in this thread knows that. We're just discussing if healers *can* heal-tank through lovely lower dungeons like tam-tara if they want to because who cares.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

I can't even remember the last time I've been interrupted in a light party dungeon.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

I wonder how I leveled my GLD completely level synced :confused:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
oh well if forums poster kojei can't remember something i guess it just never loving happens

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

nuru posted:

I wonder how I leveled my GLD completely level synced :confused:

lack of aoe threat generation was a very real issue the class had, i promise i'm not making it up and i promise if your dps are not hitting the same target flash spam will not keep up.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

lack of aoe threat generation was a very real issue the class had, i promise i'm not making it up and i promise if your dps are not hitting the same target flash spam will not keep up.

Protip: Press Flash, Fast then Riot, Flash, repeat and congrats you've held aggro until you get shield oath.

Source: I've been leveling GLD/PLD for the past week.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

you can do a large number of both ARR and HW max level dungeons without a tank.

I remember four scholar amdapor keep runs back in 2.1 to help people get relics.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Selene can tank tam-tara, even with the nerfed potency. A healer *might* have problems tanking a multipull, because they might get unlucky and get interrupted at a critical moment, but it's highly unlikely as individual mobs in tamtara don't hit hard enough to have a high chance of interrupting casts.

kojei posted:

Tanks are still fully capable of gaining and holding aggro without it, consider :gitgud:

Yeah. In low level dungeons, 4-5 flashes will generate about as much threat as a mob has hp, and you can get away with 2 flashes + combos 99% of the time. Post tank stance, lol just lol if you lose aggro to a dps aoe. Unless your weapon is literally >50 ilevels behind, 2x flash + circle + eclipse spam in shield oath will prevent you losing aggro. Other two tanks have even easier time, since their aoe threat button is also their aoe damage button so they can just spam that forever.

AoE hate is super not an issue in this game.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Only super on the ball dps (and not every job at that) can out-hate flash spam, and they'll tank tamtams better than you in your i12 gear. Sure, flash spam isn't fun because there's no damage, but it works if you for whatever reason need to hold aggro at lv16.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Protip: Press Flash, Fast then Riot, Flash, repeat and congrats you've held aggro until you get shield oath.

This is exactly how I leveled GLD during 3.0, never had any problems.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

this doesn't work, like i said in the literal post you quoted, if your dps aren't attacking the same target. or am i just misremembering all of the paladins who had to go through and halone every target in a pull because flash sucked?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
you can do a lot of dungeons with 4 tanks too

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Hey guys I know you're all arguing about apples but have you heard of these oranges?

apostateCourier what on earth did you think you were adding to that conversation :v:

No poo poo healers shouldn't pull agro ever. No loving poo poo. Everybody in this thread knows that. We're just discussing if healers *can* heal-tank through lovely lower dungeons like tam-tara if they want to because who cares.

:psyduck: at what point were we talking about healtanking?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

this doesn't work, like i said in the literal post you quoted, if your dps aren't attacking the same target. or am i just misremembering all of the paladins who had to go through and halone every target in a pull because flash sucked?

Flash is 600 potency dude. Nothing even has a 600 potency attack until after level 50.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

please knock Mom! posted:

you can do a lot of dungeons with 4 tanks too

uh actually you loving helltrash idiot, tanks only exist at the suffrance of benevolent dps players, who barely tolerate them because they're entirely optional in everything, and if you dare ask them to loving push diversion they will actually firebomb your house.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

You're remembering way wrong dude. Flash is straight up the best aoe attention grabber any of the tank classes got. It was so good the majority of WAR and DRK's were cross classing it until they literally couldn't anymore.

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

Any goon presence on Sargatanas? Myself and about 5 others are looking for a semi-casual raiding guild.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

PhilippAchtel posted:

I did the main quest for SB as an astrologian, thinking I could bypass all the side quests and follow up with my BLM and maybe RDM once the dps rush wore down, but the queues are still just too long for a semi-casual player.

I'll probably switch gears and work on my PLD and just fit in dps if/when FC mates shout out for a quick queue. Also, there's always daily hunts and beast tribes, but I find potd incredibly dull. How are pvp queues?

PvP queues are usually pretty instant. I dunno though, if healer queues aren't working for you, I guess that might also not be good for you?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

oh well if forums poster kojei can't remember something i guess it just never loving happens

I pull threat all the time as a healer in low level dungeons, and I don't think I've ever died from it. Casting interruption isn't as big of a problem as you think it is, and heck you can even use a role action to prevent it.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

All roles are useful and good ty

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You're remembering way wrong dude. Flash is straight up the best aoe attention grabber any of the tank classes got. It was so good the majority of WAR and DRK's were cross classing it until they literally couldn't anymore.

In what world do you live where DRKs ever wanted to use flash? They had an ability that did just as much enmity AND did damage. And warriors only used it occasionally to save TP for overpower spam.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Does anyone on Excalibur want to do Susano Ex some time today or tomorrow? I haven't had very successful experiences with trying to clear in Party Finder so far. In game name is Ross Perot

It wouldn't be as frustrating if it was just someone misaligning the stormclouds occasionally, but instead it's things like repeatedly dying to churn, or failing the DPS check on the sword.

Fortuitous Bumble fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 1, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

In what world do you live where DRKs ever wanted to use flash? They had an ability that did just as much enmity AND did damage. And warriors only used it occasionally to save TP for overpower spam.

Yeah, all the AoE things did 600 potency of enmity. Dunno how it is in SB, it seems unleash is a little lower?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

apostateCourier posted:

:psyduck: at what point were we talking about healtanking?

I guess that came up right after your post, but still the discussion was about whether or not you could survive pulling agro.

Just saying "don't pull agro" is dismissive and ignores the question.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

I guess that came up right after your post, but still the discussion was about whether or not you could survive pulling agro.

Just saying "don't pull agro" is dismissive and ignores the question.

I also offered a solution in that if the healer pulls aggro in early dungeons, the DPS should get on that.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

SonicRulez posted:

PvP queues are usually pretty instant. I dunno though, if healer queues aren't working for you, I guess that might also not be good for you?

No no, healer queues are great! That's one of the reason I went healer to first -time all the duties, aside from the fact that it's my preferred role anyway.

BLM queues on the other hand are not.

Edit:

Fister Roboto posted:

I pull threat all the time as a healer in low level dungeons, and I don't think I've ever died from it. Casting interruption isn't as big of a problem as you think it is, and heck you can even use a role action to prevent it.

Surecast! Stretching my 60 BLM to kill level 65 daily hunts was kicking my butt from interrupts, but this reminder will help next time.

PhilippAchtel fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 1, 2017

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Low-level tanking as anyone sucks a fat butt but you really shouldn't care if anyone but the healer has pulled aggro and if the healer has pulled aggro at any point not the first 4 seconds of a fight without doing something deliberately asinine like spamming medica then it is you who needs to get good.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
imagine my surprise when, while leveling my alt gladiator, my flash spam didn't keep up enmity with literally anyone in Haukke, only i wasn't surprised, because i was in leveling gear and they were not, and i have a vague understanding of how potency and enmity work

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Speaking of nothing ya'll are talking about, Medica III might be pretty like every other AST spell but I kinda miss the space laser.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Does anyone on Excalibur want to do Susano Ex some time today or tomorrow? I haven't had very successful experiences with trying to clear in Party Finder so far. In game name is Ross Perot

It wouldn't be as frustrating if it was just someone misaligning the stormclouds occasionally, but instead it's things like repeatedly dying to churn, or failing the DPS check on the sword.

I'd like to try it again tomorrow. I'm a SCH. I have it down to farm status, but party finder is giving me super crappy groups. If goons are doing either ex primal, I'll join. Sweet Bee is my character.

Give dog

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
I've healed Castrum Abania as a Red Mage and used the tank pet to get through Tam-Tara normal at launch, four years ago.

Lowbie dungeon healing is not difficult and can be done by a number of people.

Also, as a shameless, self-promoting reminder, I am currently a potato in need of a good home. If your static needs a RDM, let me know! (I have one offer already, but it's not a sure thing, so I'm putting out feelers otherwise.)

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Sure, look up Yololo Yolo if you want a DPS who, theoretically, knows what they're doing. :v:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

"Have you guys noticed how red mage is the new dragoon and all these dipshits can't stop eating floor?"
Dragoon: "Hold my beer."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

A Spider Covets posted:

If people did this before it was fixed will they still have those features? So cool and I'm jealous I never knew.

E: also I'm guessing you can't replicate them by downloading the appearance data of a character that has any of these features and loading it in the creator? I love messing with chargen.

Yes.