Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

kant posted:

Wait a minute. If all he did was change a 1 to a 2, assuming he meant number of hearts, then wouldn't the cybermen stop going after the humans?!

He just broadened the definition, he didn't rewrite it.

So any humanoid with one or two hearts are now on the menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

kant posted:

Wait a minute. If all he did was change a 1 to a 2, assuming he meant number of hearts, then wouldn't the cybermen stop going after the humans?!

The way he described it, he widened the parameters rather than simply replacing the definition.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

docbeard posted:

The way he described it, he widened the parameters rather than simply replacing the definition.

Still shouldn't have worked because Time Lords have time heads and space teeth, but whatever. :colbert:

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I think my favourite part was the Simm Master trying on Missy's eyeliner. :allears: The two Masters were perfect, especially Simm just revelling in every chance to be as pettily nasty as possible. Asking Bill for old bras, he's such a loving dick :allears::allears::allears:

I also think this two-parter did the Cybermen justice pretty well, I liked that they were definitely the main threat of the second episode instead of playing second fiddle to the Master(s) again.

Also Bill is probably the best companion in ages, Capaldi remains being only upstaged by his increasingly gorgeous hair, and oh my goodness gracious there's David Bradley. This was a pretty good season overall, yeah.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
Was "Sontarans are interfering with all of human history" just a reference to the F2P mobile game, or is it something else?

Really liked this episode, but also really hoping we get Nicholas Briggs re-dubbing all of Bill's lines in sassy cyberman voice as a DVD special feature or something.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I enjoyed that, though I feel a tad annoyed the cool Cybermen got overshadowed by the modern ones, but it wasn't terrible.

Capaldi regenerating, though... he's been my favorite revival Doctor and it feels like he finally found his groove. If the rumors about him having another season on his contract but the powers that be decided to shove him out with everything else leaving this season in favor of a more Tennant-y Doctor makes me depressed. Capaldi is great, a hardcore fan, a man destined to play the Doctor, and it's ruined by poo poo behind the scenes. It's never easy watching the Doctor regenerate, but this time it hit harder than most.

That was a good season, maybe the second best of the revival at least. Capaldi got to go out strong.

Murderion posted:

Was "Sontarans are interfering with all of human history" just a reference to the F2P mobile game, or is it something else?

Was the first thing Four said after regenerating. Everything there was taken from other regenerations.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Murderion posted:

Really liked this episode, but also really hoping we get Nicholas Briggs re-dubbing all of Bill's lines in sassy cyberman voice as a DVD special feature or something.

"Sontarans perverting the course of human history" was what the Fourth Doctor mumbled post-regeneration, and I think the same lines were referenced in some earlier Capaldi episode as well?

kant posted:

loving loved the Doctor's ACTION TYPING mid-stumble, that was hilarious. Please consider that bit for your post-episode giffing, Jerusalem!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
So if Missy can't regenerate, but we know she'll be back, I assume the next time we see her she'll be Peter Pratt or Geoffrey Beevers, right? That's a logical, sensible thing for me to assume.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Wow, that was great.

Just how old were those jelly babies?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Fil5000 posted:

So if Missy can't regenerate, but we know she'll be back, I assume the next time we see her she'll be Peter Pratt or Geoffrey Beevers, right? That's a logical, sensible thing for me to assume.

It will probably just be Missy sitting up and saying "I remember a long time ago, I shot a strange woman, so I took precautions" or something like that. Though I don't know how she would have remembered being shoved up against a wall and being told pick a new dematerializer whatsit when The Master shouldn't have remembered anything due to the timelines being out of sync.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Unless I missed it I don't think it was shown Missy was the direct regeneration on from Simm. They acted like it was because that makes sense but my (new & dumb) theory is that it's entirely possible there are regenerations to come between him and her, especially with the "long time ago" line. All quite evil and wanted to dick around with the Doctor some more.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Murderion posted:

Funny, even though it's likely it's more of a direct reference to Fours regeneration mumblings, I also initially wondered if that was a nod to the mobile game.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

It will probably just be Missy sitting up and saying "I remember a long time ago, I shot a strange woman, so I took precautions" or something like that. Though I don't know how she would have remembered being shoved up against a wall and being told pick a new dematerializer whatsit when The Master shouldn't have remembered anything due to the timelines being out of sync.

Personally, I think she remembered everything and was lying and who cares if it's impossible because she's the Master.

I also have the idea that she and the Doctor were playing Pass The Regeneration Energy a bit throughout the episode.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Capaldi saying "I don't want to go" as Ten seemed even more poignant knowing the situation of his departing.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
I wish they'd stop writing HORRIBLE TERRIBLE TRAGIC NO WAY OUT endings for companions that then get magicked away.

I really liked the Masters stabbing themselves in the back. I figured that was the only way a multi-Master episode could end, then kind of bought into the team up, but then when Missy called him over... that part was great.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I wish that the Capaldi not wanting to regenerate thing had been at all set up. Like have the Mondasian Cyberman who attacks him at the end be Bill, and he decides that if he's lost her he doesn't really want to go on.

And I'm on the fence about David Bradley legit playing the First Doctor. He played a great Hartnell, but having him actually be the Doctor feels weird.

Other than that, I quite enjoyed it.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Rochallor posted:

I wish that the Capaldi not wanting to regenerate thing had been at all set up. Like have the Mondasian Cyberman who attacks him at the end be Bill, and he decides that if he's lost her he doesn't really want to go on.

That's something I really liked. There is no overly dramatic "duty of care" moment because we've already been over that in series 9. Bill dies on her own terms, and the Doctor doesn't lose his mind over her death because they both went in expecting to die.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I remember posting something after the first episode this season saying that if they brought the star eye girl back it would ruin the impact of killing her.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

And More posted:

That's something I really liked. There is no overly dramatic "duty of care" moment because we've already been over that in series 9. Bill dies on her own terms, and the Doctor doesn't lose his mind over her death because they both went in expecting to die.

Yeah, I actually really enjoyed how that all played out. He promised to help her, he found out he couldn't, they both accepted it and both decided to make the most of their last moments.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I liked how they folded in stuff from earlier episodes. Bill is able to hold onto her identity for a little while not because she is a magical person, but because she basically trained herself to do that while living under the monks, and she was able to that because her previous experiences with the Doctor. And then she is saved by the water monster they managed to peacefully disengage with back in the first episode. All of her experiences build her up into someone who can get a happy ending.

I also loved that Cybermen are just something humans are prone to making. Cybernetic enhancement seems cool and good to us, right up to the point where it becomes horrifying.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, even without directly remembering it, the Master/Mistress is a little too smart to turn her back on herself. The Master has come back from being turned into ashes, I don't think that a little blast that leaves a pretty corpse is going to prevent a regeneration or from them just hopping up and walking away.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
Halfway through the episode, the Doctor stumbles and a little bit of regeneration energy glows in his hand.

So the Doctor had an injury bad enough to make him start regenerating, even before the final blow? What was going on? How far back in this season was he regenerating? Is this important?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I think Missy gave him a stabbity stab on Floor 1056, or something.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

glowing-fish posted:

So the Doctor had an injury bad enough to make him start regenerating, even before the final blow? What was going on? How far back in this season was he regenerating? Is this important?

He got a big zappy hug from a Cyberman while they were still on the roof of the hospital.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I'm watching on Amazon Prime where new episodes don't air until midnight, so I turned off my phone and all Internet-ready devices so as not to be spoiled for the Surprise Reveal of the Thirteenth Doctor in this episode. I feel a bit silly now.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I'm 25 minutes in and I just have to pop in to say this stuff with Bill is B R U T A L

Moffat has written the most horrifying Cybermen episodes, maybe ever. GodDAMN.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The scene with the Cybermen coming out of the misty forest would have been much spookier if they'd just been the Mondas Cybermen.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Nice to know Nardole and the kids will be turned into Cybermen, theres still a time dilation and even if most were killed they would still have thousands of years to evolve further to try again.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Box of Bunnies posted:

He got a big zappy hug from a Cyberman while they were still on the roof of the hospital.

Yeah, and after that is when he started quoting previous incarnations and pulling out the old jelly babies.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, and after that is when he started quoting previous incarnations and pulling out the old jelly babies.

I actually didn't make the connection yet...its kind of hard to tell, because all the Doctors will occasionally mention things they liked in their past regenerations.

Is there a list of all the past regenerations quoted or referenced?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Rochallor posted:

And I'm on the fence about David Bradley legit playing the First Doctor. He played a great Hartnell, but having him actually be the Doctor feels weird.

I'd be inclined to agree, but I think the casting of Hurndall opened the gates for this kind of thing, as long as it's done respectfully.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
"One day, I shall come back." :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ2tRqYLiNs

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Carbon dioxide posted:

That was a great Londo Mollari impersonation by Simm.

My take was 100% Zathras, but I guess I can see that.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

That was a pretty awesome episode in my book. Just absolutely perfect. Great use of the Cybermen, a tour de force performance by Pearl Mackie showing the truth of what it is to become a Cyberman, and great back and forth between The Two Masters. Props to the folks who called it weeks ago that they would kill each other, because I do recall reading that ITT! Simm was fantastic. His best turn as The Master as far as I'm concerned.

I really felt those last lines about not wanting to change were Capaldi speaking personally. And man, him laying out on the floor with the hair and the red cape was 100% Pertwee.

I think Bill will be disappointed if she traded up travelling the universe with The Doctor for going with a hot girl if he ends up regenerating into a hot girl. :colbert:

I think Nardole's ending is a bit lame though--there's no reason The Doctor can't go back for him. Well maybe when Missy regenerates she'll grab him and they'll come up with a way off the ship.

The ending was perfect. Was not expecting David Bradley to show up here (though I knew he was in the Christmas Special). This will be very good indeed!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Fil5000 posted:

Missy knew her past self would shoot her in the back because she remembered doing it, so she did A Thing to prepare. The Master shows up whenever Chris Chibnall wants him to, right as rain. Or wants her to, depending on how marketable Michelle Gomez is.

CaptainCaveman posted:

I wish they'd stop writing HORRIBLE TERRIBLE TRAGIC NO WAY OUT endings for companions that then get magicked away.
Your mistake is in thinking that the HORRIBLE TERRIBLE TRAGIC NO WAY OUT part is the ending.

happyhippy posted:

Nice to know Nardole and the kids will be turned into Cybermen, theres still a time dilation and even if most were killed they would still have thousands of years to evolve further to try again.
those people have years to live, and it's not perfect but it's better than leaving them to the Cybermen and running away. Saving them entirely from the Cybermen would just be a stall anyway, really- everyone dies of something. You can't beat death- the tragedy of being a doctor.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Astroman posted:

I think Nardole's ending is a bit lame though--there's no reason The Doctor can't go back for him. Well maybe when Missy regenerates she'll grab him and they'll come up with a way off the ship.

The Doctor never expected to get back to his TARDIS, and by the time he did and was conscious again, he wasn't in any condition to pilot it anywhere. But then, the story isn't exactly over yet.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I think the most terrifying thing was the pre-Cybermen scarecrows.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

BSam posted:

I'd be inclined to agree, but I think the casting of Hurndall opened the gates for this kind of thing, as long as it's done respectfully.

I am all for it, if you are writing and acting in the spirit of the characters. Plus, it's Doctor Who, it's basically made for British actors to take over roles.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I wish The Moff hadn't decided to do a story with a ghoulish parody of the First Doctor, but I only have to trust him for one more episode.

He did well enough with Bill's ending I thought, there was some talk about how killing off a black lesbian character would be evil and explicitly giving her the option to go back to her unsatisfying life helps establish that she's ultimately going to get what she wants, whatever that is. And boy did she earn it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I realize a lot of you are iffy on last year, but with some rare hiccups, I've really liked Moffat's whole run, (with the notable exception of Smith's last series which is completely a wash since Day of the Doctor was so amazing) and this year might be his best since his first.

I haven't given a single poo poo about the cybermen ever until these last two episodes, and now I find the Mondasian brand genuinely terrifying.

• Locked thread