Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Fire ambulances are usually "rescues" too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
What country/region are you from, if I may ask? Around here the FD ambulances are "Medic-[firehouse number]," on the radio. So the ambulance sharing a roof with THE FOAMINATOR has "M-7" painted on the front.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jul 1, 2017

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

hackbunny posted:

Watching Goodwood too. How the hell do you drive a Lotus 56? (reminder: turbine, direct drive awd, 140 mph at idle, no engine braking) I can't even start to imagine

Relevant to this the latest episode of Adam Carrolas Car Cast podcast has them talking to JR Granatelli about turbine cars. He mentions you have to stand on the brake and floor it anytime you want to go anywhere.
This is a guy as a kid who would drive ex-indy car turbine cars around town for fun.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Delivery McGee posted:

What country/region are you from, if I may ask? Around here the FD ambulances are "Medic-[firehouse number]," on the radio. So the ambulance sharing a roof with THE FOAMINATOR has "M-7" painted on the front.

In much of the US, fire engine crews act as rescue as well. They won't transport, obviously, but they'll respond as needed. In Nevada, fire stations are FAR more common than ambulance...places.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Delivery McGee posted:

Edit: Speaking of which, I have a few photos of fire apparati:

Ladder 1

They should see a professional about that weak stream.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

TotalLossBrain posted:

Some stuff I've seen locally recently.

The best quality, least expensive and best taken care of imports from Japan are all retired firetrucks.

1986 Hilux, 6835 miles, 3500 USD.

1985 Hilux, 5592 miles, 3600 USD.

Buy one and rip the modifications off and have a bitchin' truck that everyone lusts after from the time they lusted over it on the cheap and in phenomenal shape. I bet that (guessing) kei firetruck Hijet has around 15k miles on it if that.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What does it normally cost to ship and federalize?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

What's the site for those again?

quote:

rip the modifications off
no don't they look awesome

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Presto posted:

Atomic batteries to power!

Turbines to speed!

That's beautifully done. Probably nicer than the actual prop!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

BlackMK4 posted:

No federalizations of its over 25 years old. States are a little more picky regarding emissions, etc., but it's legal to import without modification.
Shopping is like $1000-1500 or so if I recall correctly. It helps if you can get in with a batch of other cars coming in with an importer.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Snowy posted:

Japanese Classics is the only one I'm aware of.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Snowy posted:

To get one already here and titled in Virgina yeah https://www.japaneseclassics.com is the most respected and highly regarded. I bought my Acty from there and it was excellent. Though if I bought it myself through say, https://www.japancardirect.com/ I would have probably paid close to $2500 for it rather than $6200.
Also I only suggested ripping the fire engine modifications off of the things because what can you do with a Japanese fire engine? I'm interested in having an unmolested, taken care of 80s Japanese truck or van that I could use, you know?

BlackMK4 posted:

Darchangel posted:

No federalizations of its over 25 years old. States are a little more picky regarding emissions, etc., but it's legal to import without modification.
Shopping is like $1000-1500 or so if I recall correctly. It helps if you can get in with a batch of other cars coming in with an importer.

This, rolling 25 year exemption rule based on the month it was manufactured. Generally the only state that is a toss up is California but that's only because they are the most strict. Federally anything 25 years to the month of manufacture is exempt from any and all federalization rules.
Depending on who you go with and what port you are bringing it to you are looking at around 1000~ dollars to get it to the country for a kei class car, more for larger vehicles.

I have this hitting Jacksonville, FL on the 15th of this month that I have to go pickup. I'll know more about the nebulous importation procedure after that but so far it's been smooth sailing as long as you are patient.

EDIT
Crossposting from the craigslist thread

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 2, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

KakerMix posted:

Federally anything 25 years to the month of manufacture is exempt from any and all federalization rules.

Next year :swoon:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Did they never make it to America? They were twelve-for-ten-cents here in the 90s.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
No. America never gets the cool little motorcycles because Americans only want stupid overweight chromed-out chopperchopperchoppers.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sagebrush posted:

No. America never gets the cool little motorcycles because Americans only want stupid overweight chromed-out chopperchopperchoppers.

*Watches a swarm of crotch rockets go down the main highway*

Yup, choppers only.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

Same reason small cars are less great in most of the country.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

The ratio of sport bikes to harley-type cruisers going up and down my road every day disagrees with you, and I live in a pretty redneck area.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

We don't get the awesome smaller displacement sportbikes in America though because every squidbro has gotta have his leaderbike or all his friends will think he's a pussy.

That may finally be changing a little bit recently, but the small displacement bikes in the US still have a lot of cheap-out parts compared to the big ones.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Whatever, the only bikes worth buying are supernakeds like the Tuono V4R, Superduke R, S1000R, etc. Comfort, power wheelies while still leaned over, and cheap insurance.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 2, 2017

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Darchangel posted:

It may be the actual prop. Those were taken in Centreville, VA, and the original car from the show is now owned by a guy in VA.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Guinness posted:

We don't get the awesome smaller displacement sportbikes in America though because every squidbro has gotta have his leaderbike or all his friends will think he's a pussy.

That may finally be changing a little bit recently, but the small displacement bikes in the US still have a lot of cheap-out parts compared to the big ones.

Maybe they only bothered sending them here because of our learner laws when you start riding. When I got my license it was "spend three years riding a sub-250cc bike before you can ride anything larger". Now it's actual power:weight ratios you have to stay under.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

They introduced the power:weight laws once people like Aprillia started to jam headlights onto their little RS125 and RS250 GP racebikes and called em Learner Bikes, with pretty predictable outcomes for learner riders...

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah I had an RGV 250 as my first bike. Super good fun. I actually bought it because it was the physically largest learner bike I could find; sitting on a CBR250 made me feel like I was going to seize my back, and I'm only 6'1".

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

In the land of the free you can get your license at 16 and hop on a liter bike. in some states you don't even need a helmet. Just your wife beater, shorts and sandals and you're good to go.

You commies do way too much to keep idiots in the gene pool.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Well helmets is the only safety gear we mandate. Last Christmas Eve I saw a guy riding a ZX-14R wearing a helmet and gym shorts.

That was it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

There's an Australian guy in CA who once posted about the squids there riding their GSXRs wearing "thongs and singlets," and while that just turns out to be Aussie slang for flip-flops and a tank-top, I personally choose to believe that the idiots gixxahbros down under ride around in spandex wrestling uniforms and ladies' underwear.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Thongs, singlets and stubbies is a sentence that every Australian will not only instantly understand, but be able to picture the person wearing them.

Anyway, I thought this was pretty sweet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJCWIx35edQ

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Powershift posted:

In the land of the free you can get your license at 16 and hop on a liter bike. in some states you don't even need a helmet. Just your wife beater, shorts and sandals and you're good to go.

Bike idiot evolution is lamarckian
The idiocy is stronger in those that do survive.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah. Early aircraft turbines had crazy spool-up times, like up to 30 seconds to go from idle to full power, and if you advanced the throttle any faster they'd either flame out or catch fire.

It led to some interesting techniques. For instance, when carrier-borne fighters land, they have to be ready to immediately take off again in case they miss the arresting wire or it breaks. Normally landings are done at near-idle power, and in a modern jet a missed wire just means you slam the throttles forward. But there's not enough time to get the engines in an early jet back up to speed before it goes off the end of the carrier into the ocean. So early carrier jets had giant airbrakes and would come in with brakes out, flaps lowered all the way, gear dragging, and the engine still at full takeoff power. :jeb:

:black101:

That's loving crazy...

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Presto posted:

It may be the actual prop. Those were taken in Centreville, VA, and the original car from the show is now owned by a guy in VA.

I can't wrap my brain around the idea of someone buying the original loving Batmobile, tagging it, and driving it on the street.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Godholio posted:

I can't wrap my brain around the idea of someone buying the original loving Batmobile, tagging it, and driving it on the street.

poo poo, I would. Incidentally, the license plate was "BATMAN" because of course it is.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Powershift posted:

we make up for it with our savage medical system.

we dont kill people we just enslave them to medical debt

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Presto posted:

poo poo, I would. Incidentally, the license plate was "BATMAN" because of course it is.

"Ohh, it's that batmobile."

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Darchangel posted:

The original 60s Batmobile was actually a hand-built-by-Ghia Lincoln show car prototype that then went to famous car customizer George Barris to get done up for the show. :eng101:

I imagine the original prop is pure quality.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Presto posted:

I would too, but most collectors treat each car as if it's a snowflake that'll melt on pavement.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Wether or not that Batmobile is original or a brilliant copy, the fact it's tagged and driving on the street blows my mind. Just how goddamn awesome would that be to drive??

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Imagine that I posted Baby Driver because that whole movie is very AI.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, the stunts in the first sequence were pretty juicy.

I want to see the double j turn type thing they did in the alley on loop because seeing it once isn't enough to appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

xzzy posted:

Yeah, the stunts in the first sequence were pretty juicy.

If the article I read was correct it was all physically done, too. no CGI at all.