Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
it's off the gcd. it's free damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Jimbot posted:

The heck is the deal with Steel Peak for the Monk? It's a mediocre damage ability on a 40 second cooldown that offers no utility for anyone. Did this used to do something else? It just stands out to me because just about every other Monk ability has some sort of utility on it that benefits the Monk's mechanics or effects the enemy in some way. Feels like they ran out of ideas and threw this one in here for no real reason other than to fill out the ability bar.

it's free damage. It used to have a stun component, but that got shuffled into one ilm punch.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Jimbot posted:

The heck is the deal with Steel Peak for the Monk? It's a mediocre damage ability on a 40 second cooldown that offers no utility for anyone. Did this used to do something else? It just stands out to me because just about every other Monk ability has some sort of utility on it that benefits the Monk's mechanics or effects the enemy in some way. Feels like they ran out of ideas and threw this one in here for no real reason other than to fill out the ability bar.

It's free damage, Jim

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

MotU posted:

every single fight i can fall off a thing i do so this was probably the most stressful fight for me ever

ive literally never beaten a titan outside normal without falling off :3:

Is this a general problem with failing to get out of AoEs in time? If so you might want to turn on "legacy movement" in your character settings - I didn't discover this until several months after I started playing and it made things enormously easier.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

jalapeno_dude posted:

Is this a general problem with failing to get out of AoEs in time? If so you might want to turn on "legacy movement" in your character settings - I didn't discover this until several months after I started playing and it made things enormously easier.

Also, check your connection speed and ping.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Jimbot posted:

It was one of the things that got nerfed with 4.0. They cut down on the amount of stuns in general.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

jalapeno_dude posted:

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Also, check your connection speed and ping.

no im just v bad at not falling off of things; i did the menagerie fight getting hit by like...1 thing(?) the time we cleared

im just bad at platforms and platform-shaped objects in general. i used to have to have my friend jump over the gaps in the first stage of contra for me

megaman was never in the cards

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
It used to be a stun. Then they took away everyone's stuns.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Ah, gotcha. I appreciate free damage and all but it was just one of those things that stood out since just about every other Monk ability has a paragraph of text explaining what it does. I actually completely forgot about what it used to do, despite playing as a Monk until Stormblood.

That said, I've been enjoying playing Monk again. I got a rotation down that's pretty good and One Ilm Punch is probably my new favorite ability. It's part of a combo and it stuns for 1s, which disrupt a lot of things' AoE abilities. Kind of wish they'd take Steel Peak and turn it into an AoE ability that's usable in Raptor form, so they can have full combo of area of effect abilities. I'm still of the opinion that they should probably simplify these combos into one hotbar abilities. You could easily set up two of them. One damage combo and one that debilitates the enemy and buffs you. Though PvP simplies it too far by removing buffs and all that jazz, I think it's on the right path with keeping hotbar usage down. It's probably wishful thinking but I'm looking forward to see how they further evolve the game in that respect, since the changes to PvP are pretty bold.

FrostyJones
Sep 23, 2012
Post your ladies, laddies.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jimbot posted:

Ah, gotcha. I appreciate free damage and all but it was just one of those things that stood out since just about every other Monk ability has a paragraph of text explaining what it does. I actually completely forgot about what it used to do, despite playing as a Monk until Stormblood.

That said, I've been enjoying playing Monk again. I got a rotation down that's pretty good and One Ilm Punch is probably my new favorite ability. It's part of a combo and it stuns for 1s, which disrupt a lot of things' AoE abilities. Kind of wish they'd take Steel Peak and turn it into an AoE ability that's usable in Raptor form, so they can have full combo of area of effect abilities. I'm still of the opinion that they should probably simplify these combos into one hotbar abilities. You could easily set up two of them. One damage combo and one that debilitates the enemy and buffs you. Though PvP simplies it too far by removing buffs and all that jazz, I think it's on the right path with keeping hotbar usage down. It's probably wishful thinking but I'm looking forward to see how they further evolve the game in that respect, since the changes to PvP are pretty bold.

I don't think I'd want Monk combos simplified too much. Because the Twin Snakes buff, the Demolish DoT, and the Dragon Kick debuff all have different timers, it means that you're not just cycling through one damage combo, and one "utility" combo. At each step of the combo, there's a direct damage option and a "do something else" option and your combos can take different forms depending on what timer needs to be refreshed. I think it's an interesting thing that Monk has, and something that differentiates it from Samurai, where your combos are all completely linear.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Jimbot posted:

I like that they tried their best to make OIP good, I really do. I've just spent so much of my time playing this game ignoring the fact that it exists that any time it would have been useful, I'm already using Twin Snakes or True Strike. And since it can only be used in the middle of a 123 combo, you kind of have to be expecting a stunnable attack to be coming up and delay a little bit in order to use it properly, which is just about the most un-monkly thing you could do.

I am liking Monk 4.0 a lot and I'm glad that at least some of the doomsaying hasn't borne out in reality. There's no saving Riddle of Wind from being a wet fart of an ability though. Maybe if it removed the stun component from Shoulder Tackle and reduced its recharge to near 0 for 30 seconds I'd consider using it for funsies.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

FrostyJones posted:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
My Bride of House Fortemps glamour is finally done.

Might upgrade the sword to a Pure White dyed Gordian sword tho

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
is it picture postin time? that's my favorite

alt

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Harrow posted:

I don't think I'd want Monk combos simplified too much. Because the Twin Snakes buff, the Demolish DoT, and the Dragon Kick debuff all have different timers, it means that you're not just cycling through one damage combo, and one "utility" combo. At each step of the combo, there's a direct damage option and a "do something else" option and your combos can take different forms depending on what timer needs to be refreshed. I think it's an interesting thing that Monk has, and something that differentiates it from Samurai, where your combos are all completely linear.

I can agree with that. Monk combos do differ hugely from others in that they're non-linear true. It's why I think if they did try the way I brought up, the combos in both should display the usable combo in the form you are currently in. So it keeps that non-linearity while saving you hotbar space.

Thundarr posted:

I like that they tried their best to make OIP good, I really do. I've just spent so much of my time playing this game ignoring the fact that it exists that any time it would have been useful, I'm already using Twin Snakes or True Strike. And since it can only be used in the middle of a 123 combo, you kind of have to be expecting a stunnable attack to be coming up and delay a little bit in order to use it properly, which is just about the most un-monkly thing you could do.

I am liking Monk 4.0 a lot and I'm glad that at least some of the doomsaying hasn't borne out in reality. There's no saving Riddle of Wind from being a wet fart of an ability though. Maybe if it removed the stun component from Shoulder Tackle and reduced its recharge to near 0 for 30 seconds I'd consider using it for funsies.

Yeah, One Ilm Punch is great but it is a slave to the rotation. It's why I think it should be one of those stand-alone abilities with a quick cooldown timer. As it stands, Monk has two reliable stuns in that and the Shoulder Tackle. Leg Sweep too if you take it. I also wouldn't mind it if One Ilm Punch was a greased lightning spender if it meant I could use it at will outside of a combo. (not all 3 but 1 tick)

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I made an observation how I never see Paladins use their new AoE, and someone in FC realized that they do indeed have an aoe now. I think they were 64 or 65. :v:

Please use your new aoe button, Paladins.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

I suck at screenshots and I'm not a laddie but here's the look I've been rockin' lately

strong bee indeed

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

It is impossible to buy land for a house, even on a mid-population server. Feeling very frustrated right now.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I got the entire Shisui caster set and felt obligated to glamour it

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I feel like that top would go well with actual pants

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

now if only your computer wasn't rendering your game in ps2 mode

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

FrostyJones posted:

k

only 20k more MGP until i get ditch the shield for the invisible one

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jul 2, 2017

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Minrad posted:

They do, or the skirt to that one cash shop set. Here's a glamour I made mixing Shisui with other pieces before I went to the au ra that goons like less (I like lighter colors and pastels, generally, and the horns clashed with all of it).

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Assuming you're level 60 (and so can glamour it) you could get enough wolf marks for the invisible shield in a single frontlines roulette I'm pretty sure.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

You can buy an invisible shield from pvp(cost equal to 1 frontline roullete), if you want to save on mgp.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Next time I get a bad PF group for Susano, I'm just gonna go for the sword. I want the picture for my photo gallery and I'm not gonna waste good people's time.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I do like the 290 ninja set. Too bad it's not dyeable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I swear Susano doggo doesn't actually exists.

I did enough runs that I now have a Susano greatsword, kunai, rapier, both books, staff and gun but haven't seen a single dog drop.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

SonicRulez posted:

Next time I get a bad PF group for Susano, I'm just gonna go for the sword. I want the picture for my photo gallery and I'm not gonna waste good people's time.

Do it as a SCH for the most ultimate results imo

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ImpAtom posted:

I swear Susano doggo doesn't actually exists.

I did enough runs that I now have a Susano greatsword, kunai, rapier, both books, staff and gun but haven't seen a single dog drop.

Have seen two so far in my 20 clears.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

There's an invisible shield from the priest in Wolves' Den for not very many wolf marks. Like 2k maybe?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ilifinicus posted:

now if only your computer wasn't rendering your game in ps2 mode

if yyou mean mine yeah i'm bad at gpose :(

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Throne of Bhalz posted:

It is impossible to buy land for a house, even on a mid-population server. Feeling very frustrated right now.

Shirogane is going to see a few hundred people moving out of the original 3 housing areas, so you'll have a few hours on whatever Tuesday finally implements housing transfers to muscle in.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Summoner feels really fun in PVP, although that might just be a byproduct of PVP being really fun.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Minrad posted:

There aren't many pants with a good waistline that doesn't look shite, because top armour is meant to cover it but I wanna say the Pharos Hard recolour caster legs maybe? I think those are Hullbreaker Isle Hard/Sohr Khai tier dungeon drops.

The version in Pharos are for melee I think, but the caster ones are Hullbreaker

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 2, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Charles Get-Out posted:

There's an invisible shield from the priest in Wolves' Den for not very many wolf marks. Like 2k maybe?

Yeah, whatever you do, don't actually buy Garo gear with MGP until the PVP vendor is removed. It's dreadfully priced and getting the marks for it currently is a matter of a hour or two at most effort. If by effort you count standing around taking pot shots at people

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah also if you get the garo title for a job you can rebuy the gear at the salvager for a tiny amount of gil, rather than having to hang on to your MGP invisible shield for all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

homeless snail posted:

Yeah also if you get the garo title for a job you can rebuy the gear at the salvager for a tiny amount of gil, rather than having to hang on to your MGP invisible shield for all time.

Though word of warning. For whatever reason, the Invisible Shield is not part of the achievement and is not stocked at the salvager. However, it's way cheaper to get it via PVP than MGP, and it's not like you're lacking in offhand armory slots.