Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Human Tornada posted:

If you have Amazon Prime I recommend checking out We Are Still Here. It's a fun little Fulchi-esque (or so I'm told) horror movie about an older couple who moves into a New England house that has ghosts. I'd compare it to Ouija: Origin of Evil in that it doesn't reinvent the wheel or anything but it's pretty solid and doesn't overstay it's welcome. Also Barbara Crampton and Larry Fessenden are in it.

I'll back up this recommendation. We Are Still Here is pretty cool and has a bonkers final act (even though character motivations seem a little off the rails by then). I remember it being technically impressive as well. Everything looks great, and it has just a touch of CG around the edges to enhance its mostly practical effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

but not every single movie you put out has to have a life lesson.
The Thing taught me everything I needed to know about surviving residency.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

tetrapyloctomy posted:

The Thing taught me everything I needed to know about surviving residency.

Never be the guy who uses the defibrillator?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Disney is too afraid to simply entertain a child anymore, every film has to have a message. Messages that teach kids lessons are fine, but not every single movie you put out has to have a life lesson.

There's no such thing as an apolitical film or one that's "just entertainment", Disney's messages just mostly suck.

Which is one of the reasons why Tangled is probably their best film since going over to 3D.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

AbsolutelySane posted:

Never be the guy who uses the defibrillator?

Fun fact: you can continue compressions through defibrillations, and you will neither be shocked (personally confirmed) nor have your arms bitten off (not personally confirmed, but strong suspicion).

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I couldn't get through the first episode of Glow, and even Allison Brie's tits couldn't keep me interested. The political subtext was just too thick. Look, women pee and lactate, and can't get good roles in Hollywood too!

I don't know when strong female characters became associated with visible bodily secretions and a hairy upper lip, but they are laying it on too thick and its tough to watch.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
By the way, Che is on Netflix and it's so good it turned me into a communist.

Come to think of it, Glow is a great television show and we must support our sisters in their struggle to free themselves from their oppressors.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Jackie Brown is on Amazon Prime.

There's something cool about seeing a 20+ year old movie that is a tribute to movies that were 20+ years old at the time.

Max shopping in a Sam Goody makes me feel as nostalgic as he does about the music he is buying.

A scene takes place in the mall theater on July 1st, 1995. I saw it at mall theater in the 90s... Today is July 1st.

deoju fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 2, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

deoju posted:

Jackie Brown is on Amazon Prime.

There's something cool about seeing a 20+ year old movie that is a tribute to movies that were 20+ years old at the time.

Max shopping in a Sam Goody makes me feel as nostalgic as he does about the music he is buying.

A scene takes place in the mall theater on July 1st, 1995. I saw it at mall theater in the 90s... Today is July 1st.

Del Amo Fashion Center is now the fifth largest mall in America, and it looks pretty boring by mall standards now

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Pycckuu posted:

I couldn't get through the first episode of Glow, and even Allison Brie's tits couldn't keep me interested. The political subtext was just too thick. Look, women pee and lactate, and can't get good roles in Hollywood too!

I don't know when strong female characters became associated with visible bodily secretions and a hairy upper lip, but they are laying it on too thick and its tough to watch.

Thx 4 the update on your weird insecurities

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Its simply impossible to imagine a reason a show about female wrestlers would focus on the physicality of their bodies beyond feminism's well-known goal 2 fill the airwaves with women pissin & shittin 24/7

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I definitely think they could reach a wider audience with the piss and poo poo angle.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Del Amo Fashion Center is now the fifth largest mall in America, and it looks pretty boring by mall standards now

They just sunk a couple hundred million into renovating del amo, now it looks like a giant art museum.

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 2, 2017

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Hat Thoughts posted:

Its simply impossible to imagine a reason a show about female wrestlers would focus on the physicality of their bodies beyond feminism's well-known goal 2 fill the airwaves with women pissin & shittin 24/7

Look man, I'm not saying girl oriented shows are bad, but Die Hard and Commando didn't focus on wet dreams and itchy buttholes when you don't wipe your bodybuidler rear end all the way enough. Shows featuring old people don't show them making GBS threads in dipers and forgetting their grandchildrens names. There is a reason for that, and its not gerontophobia.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I started watching GLOW myself and while it feels a bit hokey at time it's really enjoyable with a huge cast of really interesting characters. It also came out right as I started to get into wrestling so the timing was perfect.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

I can't even enjoy women peeing anymore, it's gotten so political

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

quote:

The first couple episodes of Glow are a little more dour in tone than the rest of the series- like, the characters remain very flawed and there's drama to go with the comedy, but there's a shift away from black comedy to a more positive sense of them coming together.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

a sexual elk posted:

They just sunk a couple hundred million into renovating del amo, now it looks like a giant art museum.

Okay just asked a friend, apparently half the mall looks amazing, the other half is still in 1985. The demarcation line is Macy's. I guess I only saw the time machine half.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Maxwell Lord posted:

The first couple episodes of Glow are a little more dour in tone than the rest of the series- like, the characters remain very flawed and there's drama to go with the comedy, but there's a shift away from black comedy to a more positive sense of them coming together.

Will I still have to watch 2 girls 1 cup, or will there be character development and drama? If it's the latter I will give it a few more episodes.

You could make an interesting show about Lincoln, or you could dilute it with episodes about morning wood and making GBS threads in an outhouse in 1850ies america. All I'm saying is, ain't nobody want to see that poo poo.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Okay just asked a friend, apparently half the mall looks amazing, the other half is still in 1985. The demarcation line is Macy's. I guess I only saw the time machine half.

Yeah closer you get to Sears the further back in time you go, like most of America

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Pycckuu posted:

Will I still have to watch 2 girls 1 cup, or will there be character development and drama? If it's the latter I will give it a few more episodes.

You could make an interesting show about Lincoln, or you could dilute it with episodes about morning wood and making GBS threads in an outhouse in 1850ies america. All I'm saying is, ain't nobody want to see that poo poo.

Okay I obviously was not paying full attention in the first two episodes because I think I would have remembered if there was poop everywhere.

Episode 3 is when the girls start to get gimmicks and live together and while there's not a lot of actual wrestling you see quite a bit of training and preparation.

I mean Ruth does pee on a stick at one point but there's a very good reason for her to do so.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Pycckuu posted:

Look man, I'm not saying girl oriented shows are bad, but Die Hard and Commando didn't focus on wet dreams and itchy buttholes when you don't wipe your bodybuidler rear end all the way enough. Shows featuring old people don't show them making GBS threads in dipers and forgetting their grandchildrens names. There is a reason for that, and its not gerontophobia.
This is maybe one of the most terrible posts I've ever read

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Pycckuu posted:

What the hell is wrong with you?

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
*Man who enjoys the sounds of female urination*: You are one sick puppy, pycckuu....

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I wish Moana came out when I was a kid. I would have loved to have a kids movie with a female protagonist that does actual courageous things and absolutely no love interest subplot.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Pycckuu posted:

This "subtext" as you call it is an ideological fantasy. You are simply revolted by female sexuality.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Alterian posted:

I wish Moana came out when I was a kid. I would have loved to have a kids movie with a female protagonist that does actual courageous things and absolutely no love interest subplot.

Yeah, I really don't get the complaints that it's the same ol' Disney movie all over again. When was the last time there was a Disney Princess movie without a romantic interest? Hell, when was the last Disney movie (outside of Pixar) that lacked a true villain? There are a couple antagonists in the movie, but no true villain.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Nihonniboku posted:

Yeah, I really don't get the complaints that it's the same ol' Disney movie all over again. When was the last time there was a Disney Princess movie without a romantic interest? Hell, when was the last Disney movie (outside of Pixar) that lacked a true villain? There are a couple antagonists in the movie, but no true villain.

This sounds pretty bad. There is a hero who is perfect and everyone already loves, and there isn't even a real villain? What the hell even happens in the movie do they just sit around and enjoy the weather?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Alterian posted:

Didn't you watch the cut scenes on the disc?

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

K. Waste posted:

This "subtext" as you call it is an ideological fantasy. You are simply revolted by female sexuality.

I don't consider pissing to be a sexual act, but to each his own.

Before I eat a probie for trolling, allow me to elaborate on what I mean by political subtext. Movies and television shows are directed by someone, and this person shows you - the viewer - his/her vision of the script in in a very specific way. Everything you see on screen is there for a reason, because the director put it there and wants you to see it. You may see or overhear something unexpected in real life but not in a movie. I believe GLOW suffers from a misguided attempt to support modern feminism, but instead of building strong female characters the director turns it into Everybody Poops: The Movie. They are very heavy handed about it and I have a hard time engaging with the show as a result.

Lets talk about some famous pissing scenes. In the show Patriot, a number of major plot events develop in the men's room of the McMillan offices. However, you will notice that the pissing is never actually the focus of the scene. The events take places in the bathroom, point of the scene is always character development. That's why you don't hear the piss hit the urinals. The bathroom scene in Robocop likewise exists as a backdrop for character development: the evil guy overhears some scrub trash talking him and decides to kill him. The scene sets up a whole chain of events without having the viewer hear the pissing, and Paul Verhoeven does not need smellovision to show that the evil guy just took a dump, because that's not the point of the scene.

In GLOW, the first bathroom scene is supposed to show Allison Brie as a strong and dedicated woman because she waits for the hiring manager lady in the bathroom, but then the director hits you with the very noticeable pissing sound. It is so noticeable that it took me out of the scene completely to ask: why did the director put it in the scene? The pissing is followed up by the very expected dialogue on how its tough for women to get good roles in hollywood, etc etc, and I receive the answer to my question: its the modern feminist subtext. The very next scene is the milky nipples at the gym, and at that point I'm done with the show.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

You should stop watching Glow if that really bothers you because there's a toilet scene every other episode.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I stopped 15 minutes in. The show was highly recommended by people ITT and I figured I would chime in with my uneducated opinion about it, that's all.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Pycckuu posted:

Before I eat a probie for trolling, allow me to elaborate on what I mean by political subtext. Movies and television shows are directed by someone, and this person shows you - the viewer - his/her vision of the script in in a very specific way. Everything you see on screen is there for a reason, because the director put it there and wants you to see it. You may see or overhear something unexpected in real life but not in a movie. I believe GLOW suffers from a misguided attempt to support modern feminism, but instead of building strong female characters the director turns it into Everybody Poops: The Movie. They are very heavy handed about it and I have a hard time engaging with the show as a result.

Lets talk about some famous pissing scenes. In the show Patriot, a number of major plot events develop in the men's room of the McMillan offices. However, you will notice that the pissing is never actually the focus of the scene. The events take places in the bathroom, point of the scene is always character development. That's why you don't hear the piss hit the urinals. The bathroom scene in Robocop likewise exists as a backdrop for character development: the evil guy overhears some scrub trash talking him and decides to kill him. The scene sets up a whole chain of events without having the viewer hear the pissing, and Paul Verhoeven does not need smellovision to show that the evil guy just took a dump, because that's not the point of the scene.

In GLOW, the first bathroom scene is supposed to show Allison Brie as a strong and dedicated woman because she waits for the hiring manager lady in the bathroom, but then the director hits you with the very noticeable pissing sound. It is so noticeable that it took me out of the scene completely to ask: why did the director put it in the scene? The pissing is followed up by the very expected dialogue on how its tough for women to get good roles in hollywood, etc etc, and I receive the answer to my question: its the modern feminist subtext. The very next scene is the milky nipples at the gym, and at that point I'm done with the show.

Y'know, I haven't met someone before who I can immediately tell earned their red text, but here we are-- a first.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Pycckuu posted:

Incel Movie Database

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Holy poo poo you are insane

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
I don't know, he seems to have good points.
It would be crazy to deny that the show has a strong feminist bias.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Monglo posted:

Why can't shows just be normal like before everything got political?

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

smash the peetriarchy

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Monglo posted:

Yeah come on can't people make some TV that's neutral on the question of whether women are human beings? I don't need a "yes" answer shoved in my face every time I watch something. Honestly lay off the feminism everyone, I can only be told that women are people so many times before it just pisses me off. Thankfully there's plenty of anti-feminist stuff I can watch to cool off. Imagine how horrible it would be if Hollywood weren't pumping out a bunch of misogynistic poo poo to counterbalance all this feminism that's been showing up lately. I might find myself respecting women! Like holy poo poo I hope that never happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer
Change my name to famous pissing scenes.