Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

another thing that i learned from that monthly meeting: Andrea Stewart-Cousins is a wimp who isn't concerned about the crisis in her own party in the state senate. perhaps in order to kill the IDC, you have to cut off the head, which is her

logikv9 posted:

every day cuomo holds even a shred of power is a bad day
term limits for governors are cool and good, we should have them in NY. they don't have them in texas either, but the governor isn't looked at as having a hell of a lot of power down there

edit: here's me giving this sign at NYC Pride the respect it deserves

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 09:32 on Jun 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

MizPiz posted:

Further proof New York deserves to lose it's progressive identity

https://twitter.com/iskandrah/status/879131447906508801

Jesus loving Christ that's disgusting

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
since when was NY considered progressive?

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

get that OUT of my face posted:

i was at the monthly district meeting for Assemblywoman Richardson and she said that Schneiderman will not be running for governor in 2018. we're hosed yall

What about Tom DiNapoli

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Glambags posted:

What about Tom DiNapoli

As a lifelong district resident: lol.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Glambags posted:

What about Tom DiNapoli
a glorified bean counter has no shot against cuomo

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

CaptainPsyko posted:

As a lifelong district resident: lol.

Can you elaborate? I just like that Tom hates Andy

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i couldn't tell you what tom dinapoli stands for as a political candidate

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Well, he is a Democrat, so who knows heh

There was an article maybe 6 months ago where he was asked if he would run for vp if cory booker was the nominee for president (a dumb fluff question based on the fact that a NY comptroller did this in the 1840s or something) and he provided a tongue in cheek non-answer.

He was in the state assembly but that was long enough ago that maybe it is not instructive. Also it seems that his main focus is trying to make the comptrollers office look not corrupt after the scandals with alan hevesi and navnoor kang. His current office is likely his ceiling

So, how about that mta, huh. How many disasters since the last post about it in this thread?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Massey just dropped out of the NYC race. Bill is gonna win by 50.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Glambags posted:

So, how about that mta, huh. How many disasters since the last post about it in this thread?
there was a derailment yesterday. cuomo's proposed solution is "give the state more power" even though it already has more than enough. the press release for it said that the MTA board doesn't have a majority of seats for the state and instead has a bunch of them distributed among NYC and the counties serviced by the agency

zakharov posted:

i thought Malliatokis was the favorite for the GOP side, not Massey

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

zakharov posted:

One of the early dem challengers dropped out to join Massey's staff as senior advisor. Guess he did a good job?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

there was a derailment yesterday. cuomo's proposed solution is "give the state more power" even though it already has more than enough. the press release for it said that the MTA board doesn't have a majority of seats for the state and instead has a bunch of them distributed among NYC and the counties serviced by the agency

i thought Malliatokis was the favorite for the GOP side, not Massey

Fave to win the nomination, but she's totally hopeless in a general.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

CaptainPsyko posted:

Fave to win the nomination, but she's totally hopeless in a general.
i've read speculation about how her mayoral campaign is just a test run for her ultimate goal of staten island borough president. wouldn't surprise me tbh, she has absolutely nothing to lose

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

i've read speculation about how her mayoral campaign is just a test run for her ultimate goal of staten island borough president. wouldn't surprise me tbh, she has absolutely nothing to lose

If she's a Republican she'll win it. Staten Island politics is beyond deplorable. I remember in November when voting in local things the democratic and Republican candidates were the same person.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

KomradeX posted:

If she's a Republican she'll win it. Staten Island politics is beyond deplorable. I remember in November when voting in local things the democratic and Republican candidates were the same person.
she's a republican so yeah. part of her district is bay ridge, which makes it the only non-staten island part of NYC represented by a Republican in both the Assembly and State Senate. idk which part she's from though

the democrat in the current SI borough president race, Tom Shcherbenko, looks pretty good and you should vote for him

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

she's a republican so yeah. part of her district is bay ridge, which makes it the only non-staten island part of NYC represented by a Republican in both the Assembly and State Senate. idk which part she's from though

the democrat in the current SI borough president race, Tom Shcherbenko, looks pretty good and you should vote for him

I'll have to do that, though I don't have much hope for him actually winning

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Cuomo Declares a State of Emergency for New York City Subways

quote:

Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo declared a state of emergency for the subway system on Thursday and said he would sign an executive order to accelerate efforts to improve service, including undertaking badly needed repairs and obtaining new cars and equipment.

Mr. Cuomo said the dismal performance of the system was no longer acceptable and said he had ordered Joseph J. Lhota, the new chairman of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, which runs the subway, to provide a reorganization plan for the agency within 30 days, to “design an organization that performs a function,” he said, denouncing the agency’s performance.

Mr. Lhota must also review the agency’s capital plan within 60 days, the governor added. Mr. Cuomo pledged to direct an additional $1 billion for capital improvements.

Mr. Cuomo’s comments came two days after a subway train derailed in northern Manhattan, injuring about three dozen people and raising concerns among commuters that the system had become not only unreliable, but unsafe.

The governor said the executive order would make it easier for the transit agency to focus on its most urgent needs.

quote:

“It will no longer be a tortured exercise to do business with the M.T.A.,” Mr. Cuomo said at a meeting in Manhattan where entrepreneurs were gathered for a competition unveiled by the governor for ideas on how the fix the problems plaguing the subway.

“We need new ideas,” the governor said. “Delivered faster.”

quote:

Mr. Lhota said he had not known about the $1 billion pledge before the governor announced it. “I heard about it a few seconds before you heard it,” he told reporters at the transit conference. “My immediate thought was, it’s a new day in New York.” As for where the money would come from, he said, “I did not have an opportunity to ask the governor a question.” Mr. Cuomo left the conference immediately after he addressed the group to return to Albany.

Mr. Lhota said the executive order’s easing of procurement rules was “probably worth more than the billion dollars.” He said it would allow the agency to hire contractors to make repairs faster.

“The governor has made it clear he wants a new M.T.A., a new approach,” Mr. Lhota said. “We know what we need to do. He mentioned the subway’s aging signal system. We live in a digital age. Our signal system isn’t even analog. It’s mechanical.”

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

remember two years ago when cuomo said that the MTA was "bloated" as a reason to reject $1 billion in additional funding?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

remember two years ago when cuomo said that the MTA was "bloated" as a reason to reject $1 billion in additional funding?

Nobody uses the subway anymore, it's too crowded.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

crosspostin' from the NYC LAN thread

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Cuomo is refusing to comply with the White House Un-American Voters Committee.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

So what fresh hell is going to be unleashed on us thanks to him?

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

MizPiz posted:

So what fresh hell is going to be unleashed on us thanks to him?

Considering most states are telling Kris "Voter Supression" Kobach to get bent, likely nothing. Mississippi told them to drown themselves in the Gulf, too!

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

LegionAreI posted:

Considering most states are telling Kris "Voter Supression" Kobach to get bent, likely nothing. Mississippi told them to drown themselves in the Gulf, too!

I was more going for that since he did something actually good, we're going to find out he plans on selling off subway stops for commercial or private use.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

MizPiz posted:

I was more going for that since he did something actually good, we're going to find out he plans on selling off subway stops for commercial or private use.
cuomo made deals with republicans in the state senate when he was driving to pass same-sex marriage, though i'm not sure what they were. it'd be nice to actually give his own party something once in a while

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/A_Brindisi/status/881193714932224001

Ominous. :raise:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

elaborate? i'm not familiar with this person

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

That account has been posting nonsense about Brindisi for years and apparently hates him and liberalism, I wouldn't take it seriously

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

elaborate? i'm not familiar with this person

I just saw this on some weird NYS Republican account's twitter.

EugeneJ posted:

That account has been posting nonsense about Brindisi for years and apparently hates him and liberalism, I wouldn't take it seriously

LOL, that's just sad.

Edit: Cuomo still has some work to do to keep up with CC:

https://twitter.com/StevePoliti/status/881643794806059008

Absurd Alhazred has issued a correction as of 00:19 on Jul 3, 2017

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://twitter.com/nycDSA/status/883343544341024768

quote:

“Look at his career, look at his work in New York,” said Jonathan Cowan, president and founder of Third Way, a centrist think tank, and a former Cuomo adviser. “He is laying out a model for what it means to be a 21st-century Democrat. Our party is in a deep hole. You have to look around and say, ‘Who is succeeding? Who is doing it differently?’”

loving :lol:

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

God loving drat it, why are these people pathologically attracted to losing

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

KomradeX posted:

God loving drat it, why are these people pathologically attracted to losing

Imagine a Cuomo-McCaskill ticket

Or Cuomo-Booker ticket

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

etalian posted:

Or Cuomo-Booker ticket

I'm dry heaving.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Cuomo would play well in reliable Dem bastions like New York, Connecticut, and New Jersey but will need someone with red state experience to help him in other regions.

Cuomo-Manchin 2020 :getin:

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

etalian posted:

Imagine a Cuomo-McCaskill ticket

Or Cuomo-Booker ticket

Well that makes me want to go kill myself

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

was mario proud of andrew? hope not.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

KomradeX posted:

Well that makes me want to go kill myself

Well bad dems didn't learn anything from being destroyed so you know they will be pushing a centrist canidate to win the next primary.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Real hurthling! posted:

was mario proud of andrew? hope not.

He died before the heel turn really kicked into high gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Cuomo is going to run as a berniecrat, there was no other reason for his FREE COLLEGE press conference with Bernie attending for some loving stupid reason