Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Alhazred posted:

I think it's telling that Hollywood is still trying to make a decent Fantastic Four, but if one movie with a female super hero bombs (the cast in Fantastic Four is mainly male) it can take over a decade before they try it again.

It's the same with women directors where one bomb will kill their career for a decade whereas male directors who have the right connections can keep getting gigs. There's been a bunch of articles about it lately.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/complex-gender-politics-wonder-woman-movie-1008259
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/apr/14/agniesza-holland-cinema-a-boys-club-which-ignores-women

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The biggest complaint from reviewers is... that there is no backstory or origin for Spider-Man in the movie at all.

:psyduck:

My wife's response upon hearing this: "Every goddamned Spider-Man movie was an origin story!!! What? Did they suddenly forget who Spider-Man was? People are dumb."

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Phylodox posted:

My wife's response upon hearing this: "Every goddamned Spider-Man movie was an origin story!!! What? Did they suddenly forget who Spider-Man was? People are dumb."

The other movie goers said that they have seen why Peter became Spider-Man. But then he said to them, "Unless I see the thug push his uncle, put my finder in the bullet hole, and hear those dying words I will not believe that with great power comes great responsibility."

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'd love a good Fantastic Four movie and can't figure out why that can't be accomlished. What's so difficult to get right about it? It was Marvel's first breakout hit comic book and you can do practically anything with the characters, from setting them in another dimension, sending then into space, tunnel them underground to grounding them as "celebrity superheroes" in Manhattan and making a family sitcom drama out of it. Weird that the best FF movie we've gotten was the 2005 version which wasn't all that bad but comes nowhere close to what the comics achieved.

I don't get what's so hard about it. The Incredibles managed it rather well and even made it funny. John Byrne did great stuff with them 20 years after they were first introduced. I think they need to go full Kirby and juxtapose the "normal family with no secret identities living in NY" along side the insane weird poo poo. Go full "Marvels" with it and do Galactus, Namor and Silver Surfer just like Alex Ross painted it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I can tell you why they keep loving it up

They don't commit to Doctor Doom. Doctor Doom is one of the best characters in the entire MCU, and they keep loving him up. They keep being too coy, too half hearted, too insincere.

They need to go balls out with Doom. You get Doom, the rest falls into place. Roger Coreman understood that.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Gyges posted:

The other movie goers said that they have seen why Peter became Spider-Man. But then he said to them, "Unless I see the thug push his uncle, put my finder in the bullet hole, and hear those dying words I will not believe that with great power comes great responsibility."

Was that guy trying to live through Spider-Man vicariously?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Burkion posted:

They don't commit to Doctor Doom. Doctor Doom is one of the best characters in the entire MCU, and they keep loving him up. They keep being too coy, too half hearted, too insincere.

They need to go balls out with Doom. You get Doom, the rest falls into place. Roger Coreman understood that.

I'm still surprised they haven't released the 1994 one because it basically owns.

I appreciate what they were going for when the 2015 one was being made but now that the MCU has blown it open and you can have Rocket Raccoon and Asgard and all that stuff in a movie and people love it they have no excuse to not get Doom right. poo poo if they wanted to they could make an entire FF origin movie where Doom and Richards are still friends at the end of it and have a rift/him become the big bad of a second movie or whatever. Just have as much Doom as possible.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Burkion posted:

True that as well. If you did the Corman version with a budget, a tighter script and some good actors I really think it could work. For some reason they won't go full on balls out Galactus either so, yeah. Let's just make a movie that ignores everything everyone ever loved about Fantastic Four, neuter it and then wonder why it doesn't work an nobody likes it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mole Man needs love, too.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Burkion posted:

There's plenty of problems with the Fantastic Four movies that a better Dr. Doom wouldn't fix.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Venture Bros and Incredibles are making me lean towards thinking any Fantastic Four really needs to embrace its silliness and not try to be serious.

Set it in the 50's! That would solve a lot of its tone problems

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Venture Bros and Incredibles are making me lean towards thinking any Fantastic Four really needs to embrace its silliness and not try to be serious.

Seriously?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

You would think being married to Jessica Alba would teach you a thing or two about style in public

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

True that as well. If you did the Corman version with a budget, a tighter script and some good actors I really think it could work. For some reason they won't go full on balls out Galactus either so, yeah. Let's just make a movie that ignores everything everyone ever loved about Fantastic Four, neuter it and then wonder why it doesn't work an nobody likes it.

Barudak posted:

Mole Man needs love, too.

Didn't Trank say straight up that the script he signed on to directly literally had not only Doom but Mole Man, Galactus, and even the Fantasticar in it?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BiggerBoat posted:

I'd love a good Fantastic Four movie and can't figure out why that can't be accomlished. What's so difficult to get right about it? It was Marvel's first breakout hit comic book and you can do practically anything with the characters, from setting them in another dimension, sending then into space, tunnel them underground to grounding them as "celebrity superheroes" in Manhattan and making a family sitcom drama out of it. Weird that the best FF movie we've gotten was the 2005 version which wasn't all that bad but comes nowhere close to what the comics achieved.

I don't get what's so hard about it. The Incredibles managed it rather well and even made it funny. John Byrne did great stuff with them 20 years after they were first introduced. I think they need to go full Kirby and juxtapose the "normal family with no secret identities living in NY" along side the insane weird poo poo. Go full "Marvels" with it and do Galactus, Namor and Silver Surfer just like Alex Ross painted it.

Sadly Hollywood seems allergic to going full Kirby. The closest is Guardians and the upcoming Thor, and neither are anywhere near full, glorious, Kirby. Just look at that trailer for Inhumans, a Kirby as gently caress property, and be amazed at how un-Kirby it is.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Neo Rasa posted:

I know Fantastic Four 2015 bombed but even fewer people saw it than I thought if this hasn't happened already. :laffo:

I feel like a Gambit movie will never happen because Gambit is the kind of character that if you're a kid/teenager he's the coolest dude ever and from a distance as an adult he seems cool. But as you grow up you realize he'd be like the shittiest person on earth to hang out with.

That said I'm all for a movie about a cheating womanizer alcoholic gambling addict super hero. DA TIIIIIITHE.

If that clause is true how did the deal survive the Corman movie? Cult status or not, that thing got poo poo out and buried.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bring back old gbs posted:

If that clause is true how did the deal survive the Corman movie? Cult status or not, that thing got poo poo out and buried.

They never intended to release it to theatres, the only reason it got made was so they could keep the licence reverting to Marvel. They scraped together a $1 million budget and got the cheapest director/producer in town to cobble together a piece of poo poo movie and then went "Well, there's your active production" all the while planning on making an actual big budget movie at a later date. Apparently they didn't tell the cast that it wasn't going to get released and the poor saps even went out and did media interviews.

There's an entire documentary about it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNLcjWIzQHM

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 1, 2017

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Gyges posted:

Sadly Hollywood seems allergic to going full Kirby. The closest is Guardians and the upcoming Thor, and neither are anywhere near full, glorious, Kirby. Just look at that trailer for Inhumans, a Kirby as gently caress property, and be amazed at how un-Kirby it is.

If Warner Bros. were smart, they'd make all the New Gods as Kirby as possible and have the Justice League act all :wtf:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

all-Rush mixtape posted:

If Warner Bros. were smart, they'd make all the New Gods as Kirby as possible and have the Justice League act all :wtf:

If DC works in Darkseid's evil amusement park, they'll have won the comic book movie wars as far as I'm concerned.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Gyges posted:

Sadly Hollywood seems allergic to going full Kirby. The closest is Guardians

Haha no.
That film even goes out it's way to show Kirby mythology as dead and being mined.

Neo Rasa posted:

Didn't Trank say straight up that the script he signed on to directly literally had not only Doom but Mole Man, Galactus, and even the Fantasticar in it?

Googling does bring this up:
http://collider.com/fantastic-four-original-script-had-galactus-mole-man-more-action/
I mean, I know there are tons of obvious reshoots, but most of this sounds unlikely.
Especially since Doom being from Latveria was only mentioned in one awkwardly shoehorned scene that I refuse to believe wasn't a lazy reshoot.
Galactus being the source of their powers I could believe, and a shame to have changed that. Powers Cosmic 4 life.
What Trank shot was just a sci-fi adventure with body horror, all the CGI battles and secret base nonsense were obvious reshoots.

I think Trank's film would've been good, but not not very Kirby.
Other than the Thing wanting to beat the tar out of Reed I suppose.

I'm hoping Justice League gets Kirby, but not holding my breath.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Here's a better quality picture from DC's new intro

Lots of interesting characters around.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Lobo just chillin' with Black Manta and .... Solomon Grundy, I think?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Also, full reviews are up for Spider-Man: Homecoming. Very positive overall. 93% on Rotten tomatoes.

The biggest complaint from reviewers is... that there is no backstory or origin for Spider-Man in the movie at all.

:psyduck:

hot take: this is actually a valid complaint because now mcu spider-man's 'origin story' as it were is about impressing tony stark, the polar opposite of uncle ben

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Brother Entropy posted:

hot take: this is actually a valid complaint because now mcu spider-man's 'origin story' as it were is about impressing tony stark, the polar opposite of uncle ben

That's the thing, though: Is the criticism that the film portrays Peter Parker as a cynical, materialistic millennial, but that it still looks and is played like an uber-conventional Spider-Man movie? Or is the criticism just 'not my Spider-Man'?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
the criticism seems to be 'robert downey jr has awoken from his ancient tomb and is devouring the entirety of marvel, one movie at a time', mostly

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The criticism is that there is no origin story.

One of the reviews says,

quote:

Despite the pitch-perfect performance from the cast and a fresh start for the Spider-Man story, it still feels jarring that we are shown our hero in media res. There is no explanation of how our hero became a hero and why a billionaire inventor would be taking an interest in him. The audience is expected to do their research before stepping foot in the theater and come fully versed in the Spider-Man canon involving a wrestling match, a robbery gone wrong, and the death of Peter's uncle.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They never intended to release it to theatres, the only reason it got made was so they could keep the licence reverting to Marvel. They scraped together a $1 million budget and got the cheapest director/producer in town to cobble together a piece of poo poo movie and then went "Well, there's your active production" all the while planning on making an actual big budget movie at a later date. Apparently they didn't tell the cast that it wasn't going to get released and the poor saps even went out and did media interviews.

There's an entire documentary about it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNLcjWIzQHM

Yeah I know all that, my post was in response to this:

quote:

3) There is a severance clause in Marvel's IP deals where if they can prove that the other studio is purposefully making decisions/movies that are bad in order to damage the Marvel brand or IP they can get it back for breach of contract.

Not the active production thing. Like if that clause really existed the Corman movie would have been in clear violation right?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

In the 90s, with other Marvel-licensed counterexamples being forgettable garbage like Captain America, Generation X and the Nick Fury TV movie? I don't think so.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

No Plastic Man. :sigh:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Antimonitor on that. Crisis on Infinite Earths movie confirmed.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Not the active production thing. Like if that clause really existed the Corman movie would have been in clear violation right?

If they never release the film then it can't do any damage to the Marvel brand! :pseudo:

Plus Marvel may not have been in a position to fight Constantin Film in court over whether that actually violated the contract, as studios usually tend to drag court battles out for years and years. Not producing a film would have been a clear cut violation so Constantin couldn't get out of that.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

That clause is only if Marvel can prove that the studio is doing something to deliberately sabotage their brand or IP.

It's to stop someone from buying a Marvel IP and then producing a movie where Wolverine looks into the camera and goes, "Race-mixing ain't right bub. Hitler did nothing wrong."

If Marvel were crazy enough to try and invoke that clause for the 2015 FF movie, then all Fox would have to do is go into court and say, "We had no idea what we were doing and our director smeared poop on the walls and then quit. We didn't make it bad on purpose, we were just idiots." and it would be an iron-clad legal defense.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

If Marvel were crazy enough to try and invoke that clause for the 2015 FF movie, then all Fox would have to do is go into court and say, "We had no idea what we were doing and our director smeared poop on the walls and then quit. We didn't make it bad on purpose, we were just idiots." and it would be an iron-clad legal defense.

Imagine how badly Fox would have poo poo themselves if Marvel's star witness was Josh Trank :v:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

That clause is only if Marvel can prove that the studio is doing something to deliberately sabotage their brand or IP.

It's to stop someone from buying a Marvel IP and then producing a movie where Wolverine looks into the camera and goes, "Race-mixing ain't right bub. Hitler did nothing wrong."

Funny enough, Marvel just made a story where Captain America said Hitler did nothing wrong. Except for not being as cool as Hydra, I guess.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I think they were smart to have no origin story in this because first it's Spider-Man people know and second Uncle Ben/etc. can be brought up in conversation when he explains it to Thanos seconds before all of existence is wiped clean making him realize that With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility and saving the earth.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Imagine how badly Fox would have poo poo themselves if Marvel's star witness was Josh Trank :v:

"So yeah they told me to put all of my dogs in this summer home and then he wanted to renovate it out of my (i.e. the film's budget's) salary because somehow some dogs caused $40,000 worth of damage to a house in two days. Also they were cool with me literally sitting in a tent on set for days at a time and not talking to anyone."

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
watching bvs again, it's still cool, and good

after watching wonder woman, diana's reaction to the lightning at the crash site makes more sense, seeing as she'd associate that power with divinity rather than just 'general bad things happening'

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

When I saw this before Wonder Woman I was struck with an immense sense of dread that they would try to make a movie about the loving hawk people.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

The criticism is that there is no origin story.

Worst Spider-Man movie ever! I want Uncle Ben's death filmed with IMAX cameras! And super slow-mo! And artsy black and white! And sad piano background music! Sonyyyy!!! :argh:

Then Spider-Man posts on Facebook about how sad he is his uncle is dead.

:goonsay:

Edit:

Desperado Bones posted:

AND I'm completely ok with it. :woop:

You're dead to me. And I don't mean Bucky-dead, where after a couple of decades on ice you can come back. I mean Uncle Ben-dead, buddy!

:v:

Kal-L fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kal-L posted:

Worst Spider-Man movie ever! I want Uncle Ben's death filmed with IMAX cameras! And super slow-mo! And artsy black and white! And sad piano background music! Sonyyyy!!! :argh:

The real goonsay is demanding Zack Snyder make a Marvel movie.

• Locked thread