Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Action Tortoise posted:

Tracer and Genji are the closest to the Scout's type of play. I'm a career Scout and I picked up Dva because her style of tanking is more about hit and run tactics like the Scout.

Overwatch is worth it if you wanna play a streamlined TF2. Maps are smaller but they're also denser and have a vertical element that TF2 mostly lacked unless you were a Soldier or Demo.

Tracer is great if you know how to not be a predictable dummy. Most people will zap you, then warp right behind you, then warp back to their original spot. Then they wonder how you knew exactly where they were going to be!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Guy Mann posted:

Armored dudes have a glowing weakspot on their back, if you can't flank them then use richocet shot to hit their backs from the front.

The robots do, and I don't know about regular heavies, but the supersoldiers don't. They go down easy enough to a full LKW charge but they're not really fun enemies.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Gitro posted:

The robots do, and I don't know about regular heavies, but the supersoldiers don't. They go down easy enough to a full LKW charge but they're not really fun enemies.

The grenades stun them and the robots.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
While it is really cool that Axiom Verge was made entirely by one dude.
I kinda wish someone had been around to tell him "No." on there being 20 weapons.

Devdisigdu
Mar 23, 2016

The shadows lengthen
In Carcosa.

bloom posted:

This is kinda the opposite of thing dragging down a game, more like elevating it, but I've been replaying Mordheim City of the Damned for whatever reason. It has great core gameplay and a solid rpg system for progressing your dudes. On the other hand it also has terrible AI, boring missions, bad camera and UI, and repetitive maps(nice maps tho).

It's pretty much a bad game but it has that nugget of greatness in there. Almost wish it didn't so I could just forget about it.

And I'm fully prepared for them to gently caress up and make the same mistakes with the Necromunda video game.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Devdisigdu posted:

And I'm fully prepared for them to gently caress up and make the same mistakes with the Necromunda video game.

Yeah, basically all my enthusiasm for that game vanished when I saw it was from the same dudes that made Mordheim. Those guys spent so much time reinventing the wheel of an already existing game's core mechanics that they never really got around to the rest of the car. And despite all their effort, those core mechanics still ended up being worse than those of a 20 year old tabletop game.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

wyoming posted:

While it is really cool that Axiom Verge was made entirely by one dude.
I kinda wish someone had been around to tell him "No." on there being 20 weapons.
I had such high hopes when the first few locked doors relied on specific firing patterns. And many of them are so gimmicky that they're dangerous to use in combat.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I wanted to get into Axiom Verge, but something about its art style comes off as really ugly to my eyes. Couldn't settle with it.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

hirvox posted:

I had such high hopes when the first few locked doors relied on specific firing patterns. And many of them are so gimmicky that they're dangerous to use in combat.

And then there's that weird splitting bouncing one that turns the scorpion boss from nearly impossible to trivial because you can just shoot under his armoured bit.

Boss music was loving amazing though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHmvJC29O3w

Edit: Also the plot drops all these hints and insinuations that you're just exploring a digital reality (and gives you a gun that literally causes memory glitches) and then it never actually comes up properly in the story.

Strom Cuzewon has a new favorite as of 12:00 on Jul 2, 2017

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Sniper Elite 4 is such a great stealth game and I'm getting a fairly good handle on how bullet drop and zeroing my scope works.

Few things:

- I just did the Capo mission for the Mafia and at the end of the score screen I missed a side-op even though I talked to all the guys at the base before going out. I don't think I wanna replay a mission just to 100% the side-ops.

- There's this recurring soundbyte of an Italian guy being an art snob but I have no idea where he is. Like I've killed all the Nazis on the map and there's no one around me but there's this voice from who I assume is God at this point talking about the flaws in an artpiece.

- I wish I could choose how to balance out my type of ammo at the start of each mission so I'd have more Suppressed Ammo at the beginning and rely on Loud Ammo near the end.

- Why does Suppressed Ammo add a suppressor on my rifle? If rifle suppressors exist why can't I add that to my rifle? What the hell do I have to do to unlock these upgrades and how do I upgrade rifle stability because that's the only stat that doesn't have any XP on it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Action Tortoise posted:

Sniper Elite 4 is such a great stealth game and I'm getting a fairly good handle on how bullet drop and zeroing my scope works.

Few things:

- I just did the Capo mission for the Mafia and at the end of the score screen I missed a side-op even though I talked to all the guys at the base before going out. I don't think I wanna replay a mission just to 100% the side-ops.

- There's this recurring soundbyte of an Italian guy being an art snob but I have no idea where he is. Like I've killed all the Nazis on the map and there's no one around me but there's this voice from who I assume is God at this point talking about the flaws in an artpiece.

- I wish I could choose how to balance out my type of ammo at the start of each mission so I'd have more Suppressed Ammo at the beginning and rely on Loud Ammo near the end.

- Why does Suppressed Ammo add a suppressor on my rifle? If rifle suppressors exist why can't I add that to my rifle? What the hell do I have to do to unlock these upgrades and how do I upgrade rifle stability because that's the only stat that doesn't have any XP on it.

I think the voice is supposed to be the priest guy you're following up on? Like they're trying to do some "following in his footsteps" deal, but really halfassedly. You can bring additional silenced ammo in lieu of grenades/mines as one of the equipment choices, though I think it caps out at 2 packets/20 shots. To see what you need to do for the upgrades, bring up the equipment wheel and hover over the respective weapon, after a few seconds it should tell you what you need to do to unlock each one. It's probably something like grenade or liver shots.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Perestroika posted:

I think the voice is supposed to be the priest guy you're following up on? Like they're trying to do some "following in his footsteps" deal, but really halfassedly. You can bring additional silenced ammo in lieu of grenades/mines as one of the equipment choices, though I think it caps out at 2 packets/20 shots. To see what you need to do for the upgrades, bring up the equipment wheel and hover over the respective weapon, after a few seconds it should tell you what you need to do to unlock each one. It's probably something like grenade or liver shots.

Ah, thanks.The mission select screen has a bunch of floating tooltips pop up when you're picking inventory so I never knew where to find out what fills up the upgrade meter.

Yeah, I used up two inventory slots for more suppressed rifle ammo and it's still have the regular ammo's max limit. :sigh:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

poptart_fairy posted:

I wanted to get into Axiom Verge, but something about its art style comes off as really ugly to my eyes. Couldn't settle with it.

I enjoyed the Giger headed robots, but was sad they never move.
The backgrounds do range from gorgeous to lacking though.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Boss music was loving amazing though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHmvJC29O3w

Edit: Also the plot drops all these hints and insinuations that you're just exploring a digital reality (and gives you a gun that literally causes memory glitches) and then it never actually comes up properly in the story.

All the music was pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g12fJXmL_d8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICcGa5DxXxY

I just assumed "You can rewrite reality with code!" was the Axiom that made Trace an outsider.
But it does get muddled when one of the Rusalkas has the ability to make others dream and you're told a few times to "Wake up."

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I just started playing Axiom Verge, and it's pretty good so far; I like the environments, it's got good gameplay, and some of the power ups are neat (I just got the lab coat that lets you phase through solid objects), but is there any sort of armor or damage mitigation? I've grabbed three health increases so far and it still seems like I'm taking a ton of damage per hit.

Even then, that's not really dragging it down. That's basically my only complaint so far.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Leavemywife posted:

I just started playing Axiom Verge, and it's pretty good so far; I like the environments, it's got good gameplay, and some of the power ups are neat (I just got the lab coat that lets you phase through solid objects), but is there any sort of armor or damage mitigation? I've grabbed three health increases so far and it still seems like I'm taking a ton of damage per hit.

Even then, that's not really dragging it down. That's basically my only complaint so far.

The upgraded lab coats also add damage resistance, like in Zelda or Metroid, although I can't remember if the game ever tells you this.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Twitch posted:

The upgraded lab coats also add damage resistance, like in Zelda or Metroid, although I can't remember if the game ever tells you this.

I don't think it mentioned that, but thank you for telling me.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Oh cool, MGSV is one of those 'throw you into an intro without letting you change the volume/graphical/subtitle options' games.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

"Well, since 90% of the players time in our game will be climbing up vertical surfaces, it only made sense that they be forced to alternate right and left trigger presses to climb up one arm length at a time in our game where the objective goal is to eventually climb to the moon"
- Developers of Grow, shortly before being told they should consider also making the main chracter have exteremly imprecise controls in a pure platformer.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dragon Age Inquisition's war room map being in two parts makes it really annoying to use. Absolutely nothing is gained from having to back into a menu to select the other half whenever you need to do something in the other country.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I have to scroll through like 12 pages of anime crap in pretty much every category of Soundboxing before I get to music normal people would listen to.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

Dragon Age Inquisition's war room map being in two parts makes it really annoying to use. Absolutely nothing is gained from having to back into a menu to select the other half whenever you need to do something in the other country.

The thing I really hated about it is that you had to walk over to it to use it. It should have just been a menu you could access wherever, or at least have its own fast travel point.

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

Action Tortoise posted:

Sniper Elite 4:

A suppressor won't do a lot of good if the bullet issues an audible "crack" from the supersonic velocity. You need a bullet that won't go above the sound barrier in combination with a suppressor to properly silence your rifle.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Huszsersvn posted:

A suppressor won't do a lot of good if the bullet issues an audible "crack" from the supersonic velocity. You need a bullet that won't go above the sound barrier in combination with a suppressor to properly silence your rifle.

I'm more confused with the fact that a suppressor is visibly on my rifle when I switch to Suppressed Ammo in the game. Like I get that the Suppressed Ammo is supposed to be subsonic, but there are DLC weapons with suppressors that make even Regular Ammo silent.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've just realised that Sleeping Dogs would be better if Mrs Chu was one of the women you could romance. She could unlock unbreakable melee weapons.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Horizon Zero Dawn has way too many cutscenes and gameplay setpieces and not enough save spots in the beginning and that suuuucks

Also its title is stupid. Does it actually mean anything?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Yes.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
For someone who grew up an outcast forcefully devoid of contact with other human beings, Aloy is pretty well adapted and sociable

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Calaveron posted:

For someone who grew up an outcast forcefully devoid of contact with other human beings, Aloy is pretty well adapted and sociable

And has very unflawed skin. You'd think there would be more scars and dings but nah.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Len posted:

And has very unflawed skin. You'd think there would be more scars and dings but nah.

Why is this the thing that everyone brings up about H:ZD despite the tech implant thing clearly having healing abilities that activate in a cutscene early on? Seriously H:ZD is a fun game but it has a million really obvious flaws and for some reason the one everyone is all hung up on is that Aloy doesn't look like loving Kratos or something despite it being lampshaded right there in-game.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
...how early in H:ZD is that? I'm still pretty early in the game but haven't come acrods that yet.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I haven't touched the game since March but I'm very sure it happens in the Aloy-as-a-kid segment. It jumped out at me at the time because I'd already been hearing stuff about WHY DOESN'T THE STAR OF THIS GAME HAVE SCARS?!?! MY VERISIMILITUUUUDE!!!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

food court bailiff posted:

I haven't touched the game since March but I'm very sure it happens in the Aloy-as-a-kid segment. It jumped out at me at the time because I'd already been hearing stuff about WHY DOESN'T THE STAR OF THIS GAME HAVE SCARS?!?! MY VERISIMILITUUUUDE!!!

Look man, if there's no moment in the game where the implant glows and her bones snap back into place, people aren't going to realize there's a healing implant in the game.

And even that might not be obvious enough.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

I started playing it last night and I can't recall the focus healing her as a kid
Hell the douchey kid even remarks in the present day that she still has the scar from the rock he pelted her with

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Why is this the thing that everyone brings up about H:ZD despite the tech implant thing clearly having healing abilities that activate in a cutscene early on? Seriously H:ZD is a fun game but it has a million really obvious flaws and for some reason the one everyone is all hung up on is that Aloy doesn't look like loving Kratos or something despite it being lampshaded right there in-game.

Explain everyone else that doesn't have a tech implant having not scared as gently caress skin.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Calaveron posted:

I started playing it last night and I can't recall the focus healing her as a kid

It doesn't. The Focus is an AR hairclip with a wi-fi connection. It does nothing to heal people.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Len posted:

Explain everyone else that doesn't have a tech implant having not scared as gently caress skin.

HZD is a work of fiction and we tend to like pretty people in our works of fiction.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

1stGear posted:

HZD is a work of fiction and we tend to like pretty people in our works of fiction.

I mean yeah that's obviously the real reason.

I'm just curious how the bluetooth earpiece heals people who don't even have one

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
What is it with open world games like GTA and Watch Dogs having incredibly oppressive and obnoxious police systems? Why even have a game be open world if I can't gently caress around in it for two seconds without drowning in FBI agents that psychically track my position and spawn around every corner?

Especially if I'm just trying to get from point A to B and I'm driving recklessly because it's a video game and then I slam into a cop, well, here's a five loving minute distraction while I waste my own time until I escape the cops so I can get on with the drat game. In Watch Dogs 2 it seems like the best way to escape the police is to drive over a steam vent and kill yourself with it because you respawn where you die without penalty... which really serves to just make cops an obnoxious fun-waster.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The new Breath of the Wild DLC introduces eight new pieces of armor, none of which you can upgrade. If they reduced the defense of the Phantom armor down to 4, and kept it not having a set bonus, i'd be just fine with being able to upgrade it (maybe not if it required dragon pieces though, gently caress that), but it really sucks that you can't at least have a fully upgraded set of Tingle's clothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Aloy doesn't have scars because she's a stone-cold killer of the highest order and just doesn't get hit.

RyokoTK posted:

What is it with open world games like GTA and Watch Dogs having incredibly oppressive and obnoxious police systems? Why even have a game be open world if I can't gently caress around in it for two seconds without drowning in FBI agents that psychically track my position and spawn around every corner?

Especially if I'm just trying to get from point A to B and I'm driving recklessly because it's a video game and then I slam into a cop, well, here's a five loving minute distraction while I waste my own time until I escape the cops so I can get on with the drat game. In Watch Dogs 2 it seems like the best way to escape the police is to drive over a steam vent and kill yourself with it because you respawn where you die without penalty... which really serves to just make cops an obnoxious fun-waster.

I had this issue with Mercenaries 2. I didn't play 1 (which everyone seems to like more) so I don't know if it was similar, but there wasn't a single location you could go to outside your base (that I found) where you're not constantly being hounded by guys in jeeps with assault rifles. I never really got a sense for that game's world because I was always, always fending off attackers.

Deified Data has a new favorite as of 20:20 on Jul 5, 2017