Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Len posted:

So it just came up in our game since we have an airship. Would a fantasy setting airbrush wizards and dragons on an airship or would it be more likely we have like...an office worker slamming some paper into a printer?

humans have been painting dragons on the side of things for time immemorial i feel like this would not change if dragons were real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Elfgames posted:

humans have been painting dragons on the side of things for time immemorial i feel like this would not change if dragons were real.

it's probably harder to idolize dragons when a fifth of your village is suffering from dragon-induced PTSD.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Len posted:

My friends dad plays d&d 5e at a game shop and apparently a new guy showed up yesterday and brought a resume to prove his credentials as a player. I can't even imagine taking a tabletop game that seriously.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I wonder if he was expecting an interview process. Like filling out the application, a sit-down interview with the GM and then with the whole group, then sitting by the phone waiting for the call back.

Like I'm willing to shamefully admit that, in online games, I have a tenacity to ask some interview-style question of players, but never like this. It's usually more just a mix of me making sure they're not a jerk or a flake and trying to mine them for ideas of what to do in the campaign.

The term "real gamer" is the dumbest loving thing. Playing games of all types is not something so arduous and hard-earned that it deserves a moniker, really. I mean, honestly, who needs a stratification system for gamers? The answer is insecure people who want to exclude people that they don't like from their games so they can feel superior.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Countblanc posted:

it's probably harder to idolize dragons when a fifth of your village is suffering from dragon-induced PTSD.

The fantasy equivalent of a 4chan troll tweeting flashing gifs to an epileptic.

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013
Go the "race car" route and offer to put giant visible brand ad stickers on your giant floating fortress.

It's like a regular ol' blimp, just slightly less lethal than the Hindenburg.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Phimose Knight posted:

Go the "race car" route and offer to put giant visible brand ad stickers on your giant floating fortress.

It's like a regular ol' blimp, just slightly less lethal than the Hindenburg.

Omar's emporium of Slightly Used Camels on the side of a sky ship.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

fool_of_sound posted:

I'd probably only use it for games where you wanted highly detailed superpower combat: comics, shonen anime, ect.

I'd agree with this. HERO is a little weak as a roleplaying game where characters do stuff, but it is fantastic as a set of skirmish rules for superheroes. You could also do a very good high-powered fantasy setting where the fighter gets to build crazy sword powers, the wizard is throwing around really flashy spells, the rogue is a skill monster with preternatural dexterity, and the druid turns into all sorts of powerful things.

e. You should absolutely be painting dragons on the side of your airship. As silhouettes, in a neat row on the control gondola.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Serf posted:

three displacer beasts howling at the moon or the uss missouri

no one ever respects blink dogs

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Countblanc posted:

it's a better way to die than like malaria or starvation

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Nuns with Guns posted:

no one ever respects blink dogs
not after what they did with/to the halflings

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Yawgmoth posted:

not after what they did with/to the halflings

this smear of House Ghallanda will not stand!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. "GURPS, but with more detailed combat and powers" sounds mildly interesting.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I wouldn't actually try to use it to stop bullets though.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/for-game-of-thrones-guys-100-medieval-times-sword-saves-the-day/amp/

LARP saves the day

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Countblanc posted:

Counterpoint: wizards are assholes

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Also I can 100% see trying to filter your tabletop players down to people who will actually learn the rules on their own

a literal resume is just the most embarassing way imaginable to go about doing that

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

It sounded like the resume wasn't requested though. Dude just showed up with one to the weekly DND game and asked if he could join

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Also I can 100% see trying to filter your tabletop players down to people who will actually learn the rules on their own

a literal resume is just the most embarassing way imaginable to go about doing that

As a graduate of Larius Firetongue's School of Sorcery and a veteran of the Zulkir Civil War, I

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 54 minutes!
I read that the people doing that stunt used a .50 Desert Eagle. I have no idea how two people who don't know anything about guns got ahold of a massive, very expensive, totally impractical gun that is basically a "range toy" to do this stunt. Might've worked with a .32, Idunno.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

As a graduate of Larius Firetongue's School of Sorcery and a veteran of the Zulkir Civil War, I

Game idea, a system where making a character is literally writing that character's resume.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Kai Tave posted:

Game idea, a system where making a character is literally writing that character's resume.

Hey, if Castle Falkenstein and Heroquest can be 'write short character biographies and call out keywords to be your stats' it doesn't really seem far-fetched.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

Burning Wheel and Traveller are already very close.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I'm taking a look at the new Runequest quickstart and ahahaha, Size is still a player stat. That loving rules.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Games with Lifepath systems already do that, especially if they have career addons.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Somewhere an adventuring party is preventing a lich from dying just so they can put him as a reference.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cease to Hope posted:

Burning Wheel and Traveller are already very close.

I was going to post Traveller. Hackmaster kind of has a system that's close to that too.

SunAndSpring posted:

I'm taking a look at the new Runequest quickstart and ahahaha, Size is still a player stat. That loving rules.

The hit location charts for each character were what caught my eye.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SunAndSpring posted:

I'm maybe a little disappointed by how the ruleset turned out? The crit and special successes still rely on computing one-fifth and one-twentieth of the skill, and there's still a Resistance table.

I guess retaining combat complexity is important given the focus and context of the game, but in contrast to Delta Green and CoC 7th Ed this new RuneQuest is still very ... RuneQuesty. I suppose that can be a good thing in its own right.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

gradenko_2000 posted:

In my previous position as bardic associate, I demonstrated leadership and rolling a 20 for initiative.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Kai Tave posted:

That would be pretty neat for a Cyberpunk sort of game where all the players are mercenaries and troubleshooters for the Mega Corps, but unlike a lot of Cyberpunk stuff where they're disposable, here such assets are an important and indispensable part of modern corporate culture and are fully integrated into the companies who hire them, which on the one hand means they're better equipped and have access to company resources, but it also means they have to do paperwork, and follow some of the Byzantine corporate bureaucracy

It's not realistic at all(and indeed ridiculously optimistic) but I'm picturing this being far off in the future for a standard Cyberpunk or Shadowrun style setting, where the megacorps are still in control but over time have realized they need to treat their workers and customers better, at least as long as those subjects aren't breaking the law, maybe have some sort of neutral incorruptible authority keeping them in check(like say an AI in control of orbital weapons who decided that the megacorps are the best way to manage humanity but they need to be kept in check)

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

That would be pretty neat for a Cyberpunk sort of game where all the players are mercenaries and troubleshooters for the Mega Corps, but unlike a lot of Cyberpunk stuff where they're disposable, here such assets are an important and indispensable part of modern corporate culture and are fully integrated into the companies who hire them, which on the one hand means they're better equipped and have access to company resources, but it also means they have to do paperwork, and follow some of the Byzantine corporate bureaucracy

It's not realistic at all(and indeed ridiculously optimistic) but I'm picturing this being far off in the future for a standard Cyberpunk or Shadowrun style setting, where the megacorps are still in control but over time have realized they need to treat their workers and customers better, at least as long as those subjects aren't breaking the law, maybe have some sort of neutral incorruptible authority keeping them in check(like say an AI in control of orbital weapons who decided that the megacorps are the best way to manage humanity but they need to be kept in check)

An ancap death satellite would be the greatest thing.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
aw cool my brother gave me his printout copy of torchbearer he left in a drawer

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Ok, so this is a tricky and probably unreasonable one. Is there any game that isn't D&D that has support for a novice GM in a D&D type group? Something along the lines of one of the 5e campaign books. One of our group members has asked to GM and the group are kind of by default saying he should do 5e because it's easy to get campaign prefabs for it and easy to run. While I agree with that, I think a lot of people in the group - myself included - are a bit bored of 5e and its limited options, and I don't know if he'll have trouble as a result. So are there ary other things I could suggest that wouldn't be intimidating and have a similar thing? I did think of 13A and EotSF but we've tried 13th Age before and people didn't like it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Pathfinder? Any of the older editions? There's a lot of other games out there with more than one premade adventure.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

All of the 5E stuff besides the beginner box is not great for a new GM. They are loaded with details that would bog down a new GM.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

gradenko_2000 posted:

Pathfinder? Any of the older editions? There's a lot of other games out there with more than one premade adventure.

Too many of them have already been broken by the group though. Pathfinder? He'll have a Summoner for sure.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

hyphz posted:

Ok, so this is a tricky and probably unreasonable one. Is there any game that isn't D&D that has support for a novice GM in a D&D type group? Something along the lines of one of the 5e campaign books. One of our group members has asked to GM and the group are kind of by default saying he should do 5e because it's easy to get campaign prefabs for it and easy to run. While I agree with that, I think a lot of people in the group - myself included - are a bit bored of 5e and its limited options, and I don't know if he'll have trouble as a result. So are there ary other things I could suggest that wouldn't be intimidating and have a similar thing? I did think of 13A and EotSF but we've tried 13th Age before and people didn't like it.

Shadow of the Demon Lord is very similar to 5e and has a ton of terrific starter adventures to help a novice GM get things going. Tales of the Demon Lord has a dozen or so short, well-written adventures that can be run together as a campaign or as one-offs. Dark Deeds in Last Hope is also very straightforward.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

hyphz posted:

Too many of them have already been broken by the group though. Pathfinder? He'll have a Summoner for sure.

This is fine. There are two big fuckups you can make as a GM: bore everyone and kill everyone. If the players have mastered the game to the point where the latter isn't a risk, then the former is a little harder but not that much harder.

Regardless of what games you go with, I've read two great books for introducing GMing: Primitive Screwheads from CP2020, and the Apocalypse World book (either edition, really). Both of them give a bunch of great advice on preparing for and managing GMing, regardless of what system you apply them to.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

hyphz posted:

4e has one of the better DMGs fr a new player, and Zeitgeist is an amazing adventure path.

How long is he wanting to do this? If it's only to get his feet, have him run Lasers and Feelings or Fiasco.

Of course, I'll always recommend Strike!, But with the caveat that he has to be able to improv and come up with his own plot.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Moriatti posted:

Of course, I'll always recommend Strike!, But with the caveat that he has to be able to improv and come up with his own plot.

There are two Strike premade adventures, one for free and one for $4, both can be found here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Countblanc posted:

There are two Strike premade adventures, one for free and one for $4, both can be found here.

I'm a pretty huge fan of Strike! but the premade adventures are a bit too thin to last long, compared to the 5e path books. They also lack maps of the tactical areas.

• Locked thread