Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Xaris posted:

Yeah BF1 is basically a WW2 shooter except with gas grenades (and a bit jankier tanks/planes) but they play close enough to WW2 that if you just reskinned and renamed everything to WW2-equivalent that all but the die-hard mil-history spergs wouldn't be able to tell the difference really.

Still was a p fun game and their decisions were for the best gameplay wise, I don't really give one iota of as hit about historical accuracy in video games and having most people run around with automatic guns, uber shotguns, and fast firing accurate machineguns instead of everyone using lovely bolts is for the best.
I bet on day one they got together and said "Ok planning meeting item number one, do we want to make a game where guns jam and take forever to reload?" and everyone was like "Absolutely not".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Max Wilco posted:

I actually want to try Battlefield 1, but don't know how active the online community at this point. Ideally, I'd like to get it for PC, but EA doesn't seem to put their PC stuff on sale very often (at least not to my knowledge), and it means having to deal with Origin. I'm also a bit miffed at the fact that the Red Baron was DLC/pre-order content

How does the PS4 version fare? Does the performance get a boost on the PS4 Pro?

I've never had a problem finding a fully populated game on PS4. I mostly play Conquest or Operations, with the occasional game of War Pigeons. The community hasn't entirely fractured along the lines of who owns what DLC yet, as there's only been one expansion released so far (They Shall Not Pass), with the next due in a month or two I think.

It actually has a pretty decent single player mode too, if that's of any interest to you.

PS4 Pro seems to give a consistently improved frame rate, from what I've read online. My experience is that it can look very pretty. As you can tell, I'm quite the expert when it comes to gfx stuff.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Xaris posted:

Yeah BF1 is basically a WW2 shooter except with gas grenades (and a bit jankier tanks/planes) but they play close enough to WW2 that if you just reskinned and renamed everything to WW2-equivalent that all but the die-hard mil-history spergs wouldn't be able to tell the difference really.

Still was a p fun game and their decisions were for the best gameplay wise, I don't really give one iota of as hit about historical accuracy in video games and having most people run around with automatic guns, uber shotguns, and fast firing accurate machineguns instead of everyone using lovely bolts is for the best.

To be fair, by 1918, the German stormtrooper tactics and weapons, plus the use of accurate artillery and combined arms meant that infantry combat was basically WW2 combat. A lot of lessons were learned during the Great War. Even by WW2, the most common weapons fielded by soldiers were rifles, but the number of LMG's and SMG's had significantly increased. Every platoon having assault troops, plus the realisation of the value of tanks and close air support, so bogging down into trench warfare just wasn't a good idea.

So yeah, BF1 is still an anachronistic hodgepodge, with experimental and rare weapons all over the place, but it's not as bad as it seems.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

kirbysuperstar posted:

That reminds me that Medal of Honour Underground was a real good game.

Is that the one with Nazis in plate armor?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

There was that one Medal of Honor with the gigantic towers that looked like some Wolfenstein poo poo but because of that game I learned those were real things

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

revolther posted:

I too would like to trivialize the role of women in all stages of history and imagine that is only me who matters.

You are ignoring truth for a more popularized version of heroic man war. Women weren't commonly in uniforms on the front lines at the time, they were just on the front lines as underground agents, smugglers, spies, nurses, combat medics, snipers, saboteurs, and activists, let alone you know fueling the whole nosediving war-economy from collapsing with their physical labor which led it's own revolution.

But cool for you hating asians and blacks and trans people publicly because momentarily the spotlight wasn't on your micropenis.

The Saboteur tried to do this. I played it on PS3. It was kinda mediocre, but I admired the core concept. I'd like another dev to take a stab at it.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Xaris posted:

Honestly my issue is that they set it towards the end of the war as it would have been a lot of fun to have campaign missions set in all of the famous battles of World War I.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So I just started Uncharted 4.

Kinda digging it so far, story wise, but is it me or is the shooting really floaty and weird compared to the old ones? I haven't played them in a long time but I feel like they were tighter than this.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's the exact opposite of what you remember

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

Fuzz posted:

So I just started Uncharted 4.

Kinda digging it so far, story wise, but is it me or is the shooting really floaty and weird compared to the old ones? I haven't played them in a long time but I feel like they were tighter than this.

Yeah the gunplay has a looser feel than the previous games

My solution was to put it down to the easiest difficulty and ignore guns in favour of personally landing a haymaker from Nate's right first right onto every enemy.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Morby posted:

The Saboteur tried to do this. I played it on PS3. It was kinda mediocre, but I admired the core concept. I'd like another dev to take a stab at it.

Velvet Assassin tried too, though it was xbox and also not great.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wouldnt put it on easy, but year UC4 is all about punching and blind firing. I actually really like the Shooting in UC4, but some people think it feels odd coming from other games.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
It's been said before, but gently caress Road To Nowhere. I honestly don't know how anyone is meant to beat that loving level legitimately. I did also take a break while stuck on it to see if the difficulty's any better in Crash 2, and good grief it's like night and day in comparison. Crash 2 doesn't seem to actively hate the player for one thing.

And a major gripe with the games in general; On Hog Wild and its general level type, Crash doesn't wait for you to start, he just wiggles his eyebrows once and mounts that fukkin hog. It's nowhere near as funny as him just standing there, waiting and :wiggle: to dare you to do it. Go on. Let's ride that pig to glory. Just press forward. Come on, do it. :wiggle:.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Tei posted:

I think the problem is finding good story periods where USA fought.

Could be:
- Korean war.
- Vietnam war.
- Irak War, but more the vehicle warfare in the desert than infantry combat.
- USA civil war

Theres a lot of wars that you can't have a videogame because nobody care about.
Like.... Spain vs USA war. One of the reasons Spain lost that war is because they never took USA seriusly. You can't have a videogame about it now because USA don't take Spain seriusly has a enemy. For a story to work the protagonist antagonist must be credible.

It's because from an American perspective, setting a shooting game during just about any war that isn't World War 2 is in very bad taste. And even a game where you shoot and kill Axis troops has its limits. No one's going to make a WW2 game where the end of the Pacific campaign ends on the atomic bombs being dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki because it would piss a lot of people off--even if it was framed as something terrible.

A video game set during the Vietnam War where you play as an American soldier shooting and killing North Vietnamese soldiers is not going to go over well. An American Civil War shooter would piss off the right kind of people, but a game studio isn't going to risk the backlash and loss of sales over it.

You can get away with making a game set in World War 2 because even the nations that were Axis powers recognize those regimes were evil and because it is war where the fight against the Axis is generally agreed upon as necessary for the greater good. There was protest during the war and the Allies did some horrifying things to win it, but most people don't cringe at the idea of killing Nazis in a video game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

vietnam games do get made occasionally as war is hell type things (or purely as mp settings like in battlefield) but the market for that is smaller than the one for killing nazis

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wish I had the power to make COD games. I'd make it so you could play as an overweight lesbian in a wheelchair just to make gamers angry.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
It's really great that people who always assumed the Crash Bandicoot fandom was built on mascot-love and nostalgia get to experience the goodness first hand now.

Also I find a certain sadistic joy in the thought of an entire new generation of children being tortured by Crash 1 :getin:

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
How is the ship variety and the general flying around in Elite? The last game of its kind I played was Rebel Galaxy, and that too (looking at the price) was a smaller team effort, and that one didn't have much of variety, although the few ships it had were interesting in design and sometimes not even straight upgrades.

I expect some grinding, since it's a "work your way up from zero to hero" game, but how much of a splash can you make in the gameworld? Can you become famous in a sense that people will recognize you, or is the "fame" mostly you being able to undertake harder jobs for more credits so that you can buy more stuff?

Also, are there any hidden secret ships or at least ship that you have to obtain by doing a particular quest and/or befriending some nation? And can you have multiple ships, and if not, how does the game handle changing ships - do you re-buy them or exchange them?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Rising Storm 2: Vietnam just came out but it's multiplayer only so one side is always the VC/NVA. So it kinda sidesteps the morality issue a little bit. It's a cool game

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

revolther posted:

I too would like to trivialize the role of women in all stages of history and imagine that is only me who matters.

You are ignoring truth for a more popularized version of heroic man war. Women weren't commonly in uniforms on the front lines at the time, they were just on the front lines as underground agents, smugglers, spies, nurses, combat medics, snipers, saboteurs, and activists, let alone you know fueling the whole nosediving war-economy from collapsing with their physical labor which led it's own revolution.

But cool for you hating asians and blacks and trans people publicly because momentarily the spotlight wasn't on your micropenis.

:drat:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
People forget to source their quotes :argh:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

MrLonghair posted:

People forget to source their quotes :argh:

It's a good post.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Rinkles posted:

During E3 trailer what looked like a single player setpiece featured fake swastikas.
Are you not thinking of the Iron Cross?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Akuma posted:

Are you not thinking of the Iron Cross?

Maybe but they were in white circles on a red background. It's clear what they were representing.

But I checked the trailer again and it was indeed MP.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It should be noted that the Swastika is somewhat overrepresented in many pop-culture depictions of the german army in ww2.

Obviously it was used, but the Iron Cross was much more common on army hardware.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Is it just me, or are the time trials in Crash 2 kind of unreasonable? I managed to get every gold relic in Crash 1, plus a decent amount of platinum relics, but in Crash 2 i can do a perfect run, without stopping and without missing any time boxes, and still be 15 seconds short for the gold relic.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I thought the shooting in uncharted 4 felt odd, but I generally don't play third person action games that have shooting sequences strewn about. Idk I think putting it on an easier difficulty doesn't take anything away from the game, except for maybe the one cool stealth section at the auction and later in the game. But yeah, that was my least favorite part of the game, coming across the villains' goons in Madagascar or where ever your are.

I didn't think it would ever click with me but I killed everyone in Centrall Yharnam without dying like 5 times in a row finally and now I'm just terrified to go past that area to the cleric beast to activate the doll (gotta cash in those 5000 echoes baby, most I've ever had :smuggo:) and lose all of that when I die immediately to the cleric beast.
What should I do:
A: spend all those blood echoes on mad items as not to waste my items for nothing.. or
B: Run into the cleric beast place, activate the doll (and the shortcut to the cleric beast) and then just grind in Central Yharnam again? Cause I do need the practice, I'm still really bad. Watching that epicnamebro guy's videos someone posted+my coworker helping me with some basic mechanics (also I didn't know r1 was like your main attack for some reason, so I was using the r2 attack on every enemy, so it makes sense why I would die really loving quickly).

Also yeeaahh I'm gonna pass on getting PS Plus this month

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
This The High Road level is doing my loving nut in

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Imhotep posted:

I didn't think it would ever click with me but I killed everyone in Centrall Yharnam without dying like 5 times in a row finally and now I'm just terrified to go past that area to the cleric beast to activate the doll (gotta cash in those 5000 echoes baby, most I've ever had :smuggo:) and lose all of that when I die immediately to the cleric beast.
What should I do:
A: spend all those blood echoes on mad items as not to waste my items for nothing.. or
B: Run into the cleric beast place, activate the doll (and the shortcut to the cleric beast) and then just grind in Central Yharnam again? Cause I do need the practice, I'm still really bad. Watching that epicnamebro guy's videos someone posted+my coworker helping me with some basic mechanics (also I didn't know r1 was like your main attack for some reason, so I was using the r2 attack on every enemy, so it makes sense why I would die really loving quickly).

Also yeeaahh I'm gonna pass on getting PS Plus this month

There are a few Madman's Knowledge items lying around that will grant you 1 insight. If you have one, use it, then level up with Doll. If not, yeah, add a bold hunter mark to your quick select items, go spot Cleric Beast...then beam the gently caress outta there.

After that look for short cuts in Central Yharnam and take on Cleric Beast if you want. He's an optional boss but a good test of skill. Weak to fire and serrated weapons.

Also, it's well worth your time if you have surplus bullets to practice the parrying/visceral combo with the gun on those Brick Trolls to the left of the Central Yharnam lamp. You'll thank yourself later.

Sounds like you're coming to grips with the game. Congrats. Now, GET AGGRESSIVE!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

don't grind in bloodborne, use a madman's knowledge to gain insight; having a single point of insight wakes the doll up and allows you to level up

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Snak posted:

It should be noted that the Swastika is somewhat overrepresented in many pop-culture depictions of the german army in ww2.

Obviously it was used, but the Iron Cross was much more common on army hardware.

This is what I was referring to:

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Macarius Wrench posted:

This The High Road level is doing my loving nut in

Walk on top of the ropes.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

Fair.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Einstein took power with popular vote. Guided by the idea of "Chosen people of god" he personally directed the industrial effort of Germany to have nuclear bombs before any other nation.

I know the cross is banned in Germany. But is okay to show it outside the 3th reich.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Tei posted:

I know the cross is banned in Germany. But is okay to show it outside the 3th reich.

That's multiplayer (I missed that initially). From what I gather, the campaign won't do this.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Rinkles posted:

Maybe but they were in white circles on a red background. It's clear what they were representing.

But I checked the trailer again and it was indeed MP.
oh you mean like this

Honestly I thought the same thing at first!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

To be honest, as long as it goes back to CoD2 (and maybe some World at War stuff) this may be the first CoD I buy at launch since Back Ops 1.

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

revolther posted:

Lmao

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ps4: spotlight on your micropenis

Make it happen vg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Guillermus posted:

To be honest, as long as it goes back to CoD2 (and maybe some World at War stuff) this may be the first CoD I buy at launch since Back Ops 1.

Same.
Ww2 had a good enough cool down period that the stage is set for a reentry into the genre to make a lot of money, if it's done well.