Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

empty whippet box posted:

I have a hard time believing that there is anything the republicans can or will do that will result in a CBO score that isn't a horrific slaughter of tens of thousands of people with tens of millions losing insurance. It's just a matter of whether it's 20-25 million, it seems like. Why would it be any easier to get it passed if 20 million were to lose insurance instead of 23?

Why wouldn't it? 47+ Senators are on board, it's just a matter of how much of a treat they can extort for their personal project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Jealous Cow posted:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/881508544515903488

Maybe he's trying to get us into a battered wife syndrome type of thing.

Why? What would even be the point of this? There are no drawbacks to this program..getting rid of this would only incite cause for violence. I mean, how much is saved by this?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Boon posted:

Why wouldn't it? 47+ Senators are on board, it's just a matter of how much of a treat they can extort for their personal project.

Yep. Keep in mind for all but a small handful of R senators, the bill was totally fine as written

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Paradoxish posted:

I really wish people would stop falling for the myth of the "reasonable" Republican. It was physically painful to watch people fawn over John Kasich during the primary.

At least Kasich just vetoed a Medicaid freeze

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

happyhippy posted:

Air pressure.
Water boiling temp varies with air pressure.
It can boil at 60-70 degrees up mount everest for example.

I don't get the point of this honestly. Water always had a freezing/boiling point. Man developed a way to measure temperature so 0 and 100 seem too perfect to be coincidence? Is that the point?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

SocketWrench posted:

I don't get the point of this honestly. Water always had a freezing/boiling point. Man developed a way to measure temperature so 0 and 100 seem too perfect to be coincidence? Is that the point?

You gotta have faith man

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Sasse is One Of The Good Ones in the eyes of the media. Why else would the result of that CNN interview earlier be a headline about how Sasse is troubled by trump's attacks on the media?

You know, as opposed to taking health care away from 32 million people by repealing Obamacare first.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SocketWrench posted:

The point is that the person who made that apparently doesn't understand that the boiling and freezing points of water are the metrics used to set 0C and 100C. So it is proof of design but not in the way they're probably thinking.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hastings posted:

Why? What would even be the point of this? There are no drawbacks to this program..getting rid of this would only incite cause for violence. I mean, how much is saved by this?

$3.5 billion if he abolishes the whole danged thing. 6 million households.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Hastings posted:

Because it fucks over the less fortunate. If you're ever looking for a reason for why a Republican does something beyond afflicting the afflicted and comforting the comfortable, you're thinking too hard.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Celsius was clearly invented by God, and all us non-metric using heathens are going straight to hell.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

mistaya posted:

Celsius was clearly invented by God, and all us non-metric using heathens are going straight to hell.

That's alright, I heard it's a cool 75C. That doesn't sound bad at all.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

$3.5 billion if he abolishes the whole danged thing. 6 million households.

Does he honestly genuinely believe he can make money off of the govt. and run it like a business? Yes, 3.5 billion is a decent amount, but it isnt like he would use it elsewhere to help others.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Arglebargle III posted:

Don't do this.

I thought it was funny. :colbert:

Hastings posted:

Does he honestly genuinely believe he can make money off of the govt. and run it like a business? Yes, 3.5 billion is a decent amount, but it isnt like he would use it elsewhere to help others.

His budget was probably mostly the brainchild of Mick Mulvaney, who apparently scoured the federal budget for all the best, most successful low-profile programs so he could destroy them.

My personal favorite is his desire to save $12 million a year by abolishing the Chemical Safety Board.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 2, 2017

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Cheekio posted:

Enough people with web development skills do for it to be a problem.

He needs to be convinced not to run early.

no one hates zuck more than the tech industry

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Hastings posted:

It would be to cut taxes. Are you actually perplexed here? Cut taxes and services has been the Republican M.O. for like, ever.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

HappyHippo posted:

It would be to cut taxes.

Yeah, this too. The White House is advertising it as a budget that turns the deficit into a surplus and cuts taxes without cutting Medicare and Social Security! Hooray! :toot:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Oh great, the Trump budget proposal pops its head up again.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
So how long till Trump has a Silvio Berlusconi-style gross floppy rager orgy in the White House and people willingly defend it as normal?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

I really wish people would stop falling for the myth of the "reasonable" Republican. It was physically painful to watch people fawn over John Kasich during the primary.

You've got plenty of reasonable Republicans, it's just that the majority of the party is, at this point, beholden to their idiot wing of know-nothings who have an outsized impact on party politics due to the polarized political climate and narrative.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Sinteres posted:

Trump's a self promoter who had a personal brand as an entertainer for decades. Zuckerberg's some tech nerd most people wouldn't even recognize if they saw him. This idea that the only thing that can beat a billionaire with zero political experience is another billionaire with zero political experience is unbelievably stupid. At least run a loving celebrity if you want to run an anti-Trump.

1000x this. Trump spent decades portraying himself to the American public as a successful alpha male who makes tough decisions, helped along with carefully staged shows like the Apprentice. Since people subconsciously put so much stock in what we see on television, there existed this idea that Trump must be doing something right to have his name on the side of skyscrapers and planes and a show which is solely about how competent he is. And Trump, understanding public perception in a way few people do, played that role to the hilt.

On the other hand, Zuckerberg has largely kept out of the media spotlight aside from that movie about how he screwed people out of Facebook money. He's not a "known" quantity in the eyes of the public and I doubt he has the force of personality to build a personal brand in four years. Not to mention there's certainly no guarantee that after 4 years of Trump the public will still see a lack of experience as a virtue for President. So if Zuckerberg or Dems think "random Rich white guy + no experience = President!," then they're setting themselves up for disaster.

So, expect to see Zuckerberg/Cuban on the Democratic ticket in 2020.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Grapplejack posted:

You've got plenty of reasonable Republicans, it's just that the majority of the party is, at this point, beholden to their idiot wing of know-nothings who have an outsized impact on party politics due to the polarized political climate and narrative.

This is a pretty strange definition of "reasonable."

The polarized political climate exists because those reasonable Republicans created this monster and allowed it to exist for as long as it was beneficial to them, and now they can't control it anymore. No one is holding a gun to their head and preventing them from working with Democrats to pass better legislation. No one is stopping them from at least attempting to regain control of the narrative rather than immediately bowing to pressure from the far right and their own party. Republican politicians have had a hundred chances over the last few decades to pull out of this nosedive and yet here we are.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

So their plan is to placate Rand Paul with this and get ONE of Murkowski, Collins and Heller and pass it that way?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

So how long till Trump has a Silvio Berlusconi-style gross floppy rager orgy in the White House and people willingly defend it as normal?

I mean the Christian Right already defends this man's sexual proclivities, I am sure it's only a matter of time.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Hastings posted:

gently caress the poor

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Hastings posted:

If global warming is real, then why do you need money to heat your homes? Checkmate.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Hastings posted:

Because making poor people's lives worse gives conservatives massive erections.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
didn't see this posted yet.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/881604490041995271

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Erdogan or Puin could've easily given that speech.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
And once again we're back to leftists saying we have to abandon principles or decorum and do everything we can to just cripple the GOP, then saying they'll never support the one person who can do that.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

GamingHyena posted:

1000x this. Trump spent decades portraying himself to the American public as a successful alpha male who makes tough decisions, helped along with carefully staged shows like the Apprentice. Since people subconsciously put so much stock in what we see on television, there existed this idea that Trump must be doing something right to have his name on the side of skyscrapers and planes and a show which is solely about how competent he is. And Trump, understanding public perception in a way few people do, played that role to the hilt.

On the other hand, Zuckerberg has largely kept out of the media spotlight aside from that movie about how he screwed people out of Facebook money. He's not a "known" quantity in the eyes of the public and I doubt he has the force of personality to build a personal brand in four years. Not to mention there's certainly no guarantee that after 4 years of Trump the public will still see a lack of experience as a virtue for President. So if Zuckerberg or Dems think "random Rich white guy + no experience = President!," then they're setting themselves up for disaster.

So, expect to see Zuckerberg/Cuban on the Democratic ticket in 2020.

Trump had a personal brand built over the years, but he also had a tremendous amount of scandals and lawsuits and various other cruft that weighed him down.

Zuckerberg has the benefit of starting with a mostly blank slate. While I agree that 4 years is not enough time to convince the American public that he is president-material, after Trump's election I loving don't know anymore.

If I were Zuckerberg I would run for Senate first. Primary the poo poo out of Feinstein, who is quite terrible for many reasons, then spend 4-5 years in the Senate to gain experience and establish a track record. That's basically what Obama did, and it was sufficient to counter most criticisms regarding him being too young.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
You mean gain experience and build a track record? That doesn't sound like disrupting the industry to me :colbert:

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Hastings posted:

The benefit is that many more dead Democratic voters by the spring of 2018.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Oh great, the Trump budget proposal pops its head up again.

The more visible it is to the general population the better.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

HappyHippo posted:

It would be to cut taxes. Are you actually perplexed here? Cut taxes and services has been the Republican M.O. for like, ever.

I understand this on a superficial level, but then I hit a wall where it does not compute. I just do not understand the logic because it is the least logical, efficient thing I could think of. It makes no sense to cut these small projects when so much of the excess money is in defense.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hastings posted:

I understand this on a superficial level, but then I hit a wall where it does not compute. I just do not understand the logic because it is the least logical, efficient thing I could think of. It makes no sense to cut these small projects when so much of the excess money is in defense.

Defense money distracts them from their tiny flaccid cocks.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hastings posted:

Trump has pledged himself to massive defense spending in order to make our military great again.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

This is a pretty strange definition of "reasonable."

The polarized political climate exists because those reasonable Republicans created this monster and allowed it to exist for as long as it was beneficial to them, and now they can't control it anymore. No one is holding a gun to their head and preventing them from working with Democrats to pass better legislation. No one is stopping them from at least attempting to regain control of the narrative rather than immediately bowing to pressure from the far right and their own party. Republican politicians have had a hundred chances over the last few decades to pull out of this nosedive and yet here we are.

I'm not even sure if they can wrest the narrative back at this point. They thought they had control up until the presidential election started, I think, and then they realized it was gone and they were totally beholden to their crazy wing.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

dont even fink about it posted:

Trump has pledged himself to massive defense spending in order to make our military great again.

Trump can pledge himself to suck my non-existent dick.

e: I am a lady ;-*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Hastings posted:

Defense is legitimate spending based on the constitution, unlike spending on poor people.

• Locked thread