Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
All this RTD talk reminds me, I bought and read The Writers Tale when it first came out.

Then bought the extended editions that covered the specials, so went back and reread the original first before checking out the new stuff.

And holy poo poo, I was literally too depressed from reading it to be able to make it to the specials. It was a weirdly deep insight to someone that you don't get in an autobiography

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Valeyard posted:

And holy poo poo, I was literally too depressed from reading it to be able to make it to the specials. It was a weirdly deep insight to someone that you don't get in an autobiography

Agreed. The passages where he talks about procrastination (and the self-doubt and self-loathing that underlie it) hit way, way too close to the bone for me to be in a hurry to re-read it. I was kind of amazed that RTD let it be published - it would surely worry any producers hiring him in the future. It was kind of shocking to see, in his own words, the man underneath the public-facing cheerleader persona ("Hoo-ray. Marvellous." etc) totally laid bare in such a self-flagellating way.

I can't even begin to fathom what a similar document written by Moffat would be like. Probably super gross and talking about all the ladies he's sexed but how he's also very smart but it's fine because he was a very very nerdy child who didn't have any friends apart from his Target novelisations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

How did John Simm kill Missy with a sonic screwdriver? That was dumb.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
It's annoying that they didn't reveal who the new Doctor was at the end of the episode. Now we are going to find out the way we always find out: from the internet after someone snaps a pic of someone on set.

All it would have been is a short clip at the end that could have easily been filmed in secret with a skeleton crew.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

Laser screwdriver. Who'd have sonic?

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Has anything been confirmed about when they start shooting the next series proper? If they're having an autumn premiere, they could theoretically start filming on, like, the 2nd of January provided they set their arses in gear.

I get the feeling they're going to shoot for the moon and have a next Doctor reveal in-episode. Get some super-mega hype going for the Christmas special. I'd imagine it's something that everyone involved in the production side has always wanted to do in an ideal world, and Chibnall (on Broadchurch) has a track record of avoiding leaks very skillfully...

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Finally caught up. It was a good season!

Honestly, I think the title for this thread was part of why I put off watching it... I figured if "It speaks emoji!" was the only line worth keeping as the title for the entire season, that there must not have been anything good going on.

Turns out it's just a terrible thread title.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

thexerox123 posted:

Finally caught up. It was a good season!

Honestly, I think the title for this thread was part of why I put off watching it... I figured if "It speaks emoji!" was the only line worth keeping as the title for the entire season, that there must not have been anything good going on.

Turns out it's just a terrible thread title.

Please don't ever take goons this seriously again.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

Please don't ever take goons this seriously again.

Nah, I'm mostly kidding, I just wanted to dunk on the thread title.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Can we have 'I shall come back' for the next one? :3:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Doctor Who: Its the end...but the moment has been poorly budgeted for

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Slowpoke! posted:

It's annoying that they didn't reveal who the new Doctor was at the end of the episode. Now we are going to find out the way we always find out: from the internet after someone snaps a pic of someone on set.

All it would have been is a short clip at the end that could have easily been filmed in secret with a skeleton crew.

They're probably going to do that sometime closer to transmission of the Christmas special. Although it makes a filming schedule for Series 11 difficult if they're wanting complete secrecy.

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
Did anyone else notice the continuity error where the Doctor was dirty af when Bill leaves but when he regains consciousness he's suddenly clean ?

Also why did Bill remind the Doctor about her sexual preferences in that one moment? I didn't get it. It sounded like she was trying to say she loves him platonically but the way she hinted at it made no sense.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Doctor Who: Its the end...but the moment has bCONTINUED IN SIX POSTS TIME

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

n4 posted:

Did anyone else notice the continuity error where the Doctor was dirty af when Bill leaves but when he regains consciousness he's suddenly clean ?

Also why did Bill remind the Doctor about her sexual preferences in that one moment? I didn't get it. It sounded like she was trying to say she loves him platonically but the way she hinted at it made no sense.

She was teasing his ego. It was cute.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Slowpoke! posted:

I watched his face magnified about 30 times, to see if there was a few frames altered like War Doctors to Ecceles transform.
Nope, couldn't see poo poo.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Obviously we'll know who the next Doctor is before the special airs, but when? Is that the sort of thing they'd announce at SDCC in two weeks?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Josh Lyman posted:

It goes back to Simm's original appearance in Series 3; he has a "Laser Screwdriver" instead of a sonic one. Its a weapon and can also hyper-age people.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

TinTower posted:

Yeah, my major issues with Moff are that he is poo poo at season finales and even shitter at financing the show.

RTD, for all his faults with dei ex machina, at least gave season finales a decent blockbuster feel. I mean, Nine telling the Daleks to basically do one still gives me chills. The only time Moff really got that style was probably Day of the Doctor and probably Time.

Say what you want about Tinkerbell Jesus, I'd rather see that in my camp Saturday night scifi than The Doctor And Arya Stark Philosophise About Mortality For Fifteen Minutes.

Yeah this.

I prefer most of RTD's season finales, except for Last of the Time Lords, I'm just a fan of doofy poo poo that I can remember and smile about (like the Daleks and Cybermen getting into a screaming match) as opposed to...whatever the gently caress The Wedding of River Song was.

I might actually like Last of the Time Lords more than the Wedding of River Song.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

thexerox123 posted:

Nah, I'm mostly kidding, I just wanted to dunk on the thread title.

It was the only quotable quote in the series trailer :shrug:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Must be cool to be a producer on this show. All your scheduling and budgeting screw ups just get blamed on the show runner so you get off Scott free.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

n4 posted:

To be fair, he was carried there by two people made of water. :v:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

MisterBibs posted:

Oh, and some choice bits from this might amuse some here:

I love the idea that Moffat bounced finale ideas off RTD.

I love it even more that RTD was egging him on to be even more OTT. :allears:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Plavski posted:

Must be cool to be a producer on this show. All your scheduling and budgeting screw ups just get blamed on the show runner so you get off Scott free.

Moffat is showrunner in his capacity as executive producer, but he's one of two executive producers associated with the show. I'm not sure what exactly Brian Minchin does, though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

God I wish RTD had written an episode under Moffat. I would have loved to see him get to write something without having to worry about schedules/budgets/wrangling cast and crew/time restrictions etc. Just take his time, write up the story he wanted till he was happy with it and then just hand it over when it was done.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

n4 posted:

We never see the Doctor pushing a broom, so the TARDIS must have some way of tidying up, right?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Obviously we'll know who the next Doctor is before the special airs, but when? Is that the sort of thing they'd announce at SDCC in two weeks?

Nah, very unlikely. Capaldi was announced on a special live half hour show on BBC One that spun its wheels for 28 minutes before finally revealing him.

The best next Doctor reveal was when they revealed Matt Smith. They put up a special 15 minute long Doctor Who Confidential, so they had talking heads with the new producers, Moffat, etc, and then it switches to this young guy, and he's talking about stuff for 5 seconds before the title comes up 'Matt Smith - The Eleventh Doctor'. Super subtly done, and very classy. :3:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Narsham posted:

I really think the best solution is to have CyberMissy appear in a future Cyberman episode, preferably as a sudden reveal. Then she figures out a way to steal another body and we're off to the races.

I was just thinking that! The cybermen revived Bill with a giant hole through her vital organs and her brain having been deprived of oxygen for at least 10 minutes, and she was fine, so whatever catastrophic damage left Missy able to chat for a few minutes before death probably isn't enough to prevent the cybermen from salvaging her.

CyberMissy would be running that place in a day. She still has a TimeLady brain, the monkey brains have no hope of overwriting her will. They will probably won't even try, they will see her superiority and declare her Cyber Controller on the spot.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Well, it's happening again. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3825684

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Slowpoke! posted:

I doubt he will regenerate until the end of the Christmas special anyway. He'll spend a few minutes talking to the first doctor about regenerating and maybe they will go on an adventure together. If not, they will split up, and Doctor Who will have one last adventure before regenerating at the end of the episode. Then we'll see Ed Sheeran bounce around the set or whatever excited to go on his new adventures. Maybe pick up the new companion.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was really turned off by last seasons "Oh BTW Clara is the most important person to ever live" reveal and while I love Capaldi, that whole thing nearly drove me away from the show. I'm glad Bill was more of a "keep the doctor on the moral path" kind of companion who also didn't really put up with his crap but was still just a normal person.

Overall it was a solid season, I was confused at Watergirls whole thing, but I loved how we got the always welcomed variety of types of episodes. I'm always down for a good Haunted House story which we got.

Love the updated Mondas Cybermen, though as someone else said, it would have been nice to see the intern stages, even if it's only for a momentary glimpse.

I just realized I never watched this years Xmas episode. I'll I'll do that now.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
This has probably been explained (or more likely, ignored) since it was a while ago:

Wasn't there some future-future-future Danny (played by the same actor) that was implied to be a descendant of Danny/Clara? Did that plot line ever be explored or did they just collectively point to a wall and scream HEY LOOK OVER THERE, IGNORE THAT?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

MisterBibs posted:

This has probably been explained (or more likely, ignored) since it was a while ago:

Wasn't there some future-future-future Danny (played by the same actor) that was implied to be a descendant of Danny/Clara? Did that plot line ever be explored or did they just collectively point to a wall and scream HEY LOOK OVER THERE, IGNORE THAT?
Just some descendant of Danny's bloodline I guess. Or history got rewritten. Missy rewrote history by getting Clara and the Doctor together so she could badger the Time Lords to save him on Trenzalore so I like to imagine there are lots of possible futures in flux until the timeline sorts itself out, and mayne Orson was one.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

2house2fly posted:

Just some descendant of Danny's bloodline I guess. Or history got rewritten. Missy rewrote history by getting Clara and the Doctor together so she could badger the Time Lords to save him on Trenzalore so I like to imagine there are lots of possible futures in flux until the timeline sorts itself out, and mayne Orson was one.

Or Danny had a brother or a sister.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That was what i meant by the first thing i said!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It's awfully empty in here
I flooded the lobby with Pokemon.

Outside of a few funny lines, this Xmas special is pretty bad. There's way too much focus on Grant being moonstruck over Lumbar.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Murderion posted:

Having rewatched the first episode a couple of days previously, I have to say Heather coming back was more "unexpected" than an outright rear end-pull. At the end of The Pilot, she touches Heather even though the Doctor and Nardole tell her it's a really bad idea, and it's clear that Bill is a big part of her retaining/rebuilding her human identity.

I actually like Bill's happy ending because it feels like something she's earned without the show telling us she's the super-special-awesome specialest companion ever. She resists memory control under the monks, she resists conversion into a cyberman. She's kind and loving to a messed-up watery spaceship lady with godlike powers, spaceship lady comes back to save her.

And unlike Clara's, it's on account of her choices and her actions. Not just touching Heather, but making the deal with the Monks and then resisting them. Or, for that matter, choosing to stay with the Doctor to the end which doesn't come. And most of those choices involved not taking the Doctor's advice.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Narsham posted:

And unlike Clara's, it's on account of her choices and her actions. Not just touching Heather, but making the deal with the Monks and then resisting them. Or, for that matter, choosing to stay with the Doctor to the end which doesn't come. And most of those choices involved not taking the Doctor's advice.

And one of the only times she was explicitly acting on advice/suggestion of the Doctor resulted in just the worst thing.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

HopperUK posted:

She was teasing his ego. It was cute.

Especially when you consider she said it in Cyberman singsong voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Senor Tron posted:

Especially when you consider she said it in Cyberman singsong voice.

Ohhhh, gooooooooood-oh!

• Locked thread