Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I checked my local Toys R Us. The clerk said he too had heard that some were showing up but they didn't get any at their store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tree Dude posted:

I checked my local Toys R Us. The clerk said he too had heard that some were showing up but they didn't get any at their store.

Maybe leave your phone number if you can, just on the off chance they haven't received their allotment yet. You never know :shrug:.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

falz posted:

Speaking of Typing of the Dead- I've always wanted this game but never wanted the burdon of having a Dreamast keyboard taking up space. Anyone aware of an adapter to use a standard PS2 or USB keyboard instead? I've googled it in the past and always seem to come up with the opposite. direction (Dreamcast controller -> USB).

http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2015/06/a-little-fun-with-dreamcast.html I have an adaptor that I talked about a bit in this blog post. I used it for PSO because lol at buying a dedicated keyboard for one game's online mode. Sadly as the post says the Saturn Racing Wheel didn't work with Daytona but the dongle did allow for Saturn gamepads with DC fighting games. I was on an HDTV set then so I didn't try comedy options of a Saturn light gun with House of the Dead 2. Though now with an S Video TV set that is big and huge upstairs it seems like a stupid thing I ought to try. Also the Saturn 3D pad just to see if the DC will utilize it. Or see if my PS1 Twin Analog flight stick thingie would be acknowledged. I doubt it but it's something stupid I should try just because it's there.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
I'm in LA with a group of people who are here for a convention and instead of standing in line for six hours I decided to explore for cool game shops. My only previous visit was one day to disassemble and load an arcade machine so I'm happy to get some time to explore the city.

My first stop was a BookOff in a mall. They had some pretty eye-rolling prices ($130+ Working Designs PS1 games) but I grabbed a few cheaper things. I'm especially excited to own PBR since it's one of those low-print-run first-party games that has never come down in price.

The second and coolest place was one I almost wrote off due to the name because I read "bros" like Call of Duty bros. It didn't click until I saw the sign :v:

They had some pretty great prices on used import DC/DS/PSP soft so I grabbed a few of those. Some NES and SegaCD stuff (like Afterburner III) I wanted was a bit too expensive but I picked up a few cheaper NES games too. How is the port of Roadblasters? It's my favorite Atari arcade game but I've never played a home port.

The last stop was a legit import game & video shop in a Japanese strip mall. I didn't get any games because they were all brand new for brand new prices, but I did pick up a poster. It's just great that a shop like this can exist in America especially if you have a region-locked import system like my wife and her JP Xbox 360. Some people just gotta have their Idolm@ster.

Anyway LA goons I like your city :)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Ineffiable posted:

I'm in the same situation. I may check today and if I can walk away with two, I'll sell you the other. Or if some kind goon buys the entire case to sell to us.

Thank you! I will make it worth your while. I live nowhere near the midwest so I get the bone.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Only Shallow posted:

I'm in LA with a group of people who are here for a convention and instead of standing in line for six hours I decided to explore for cool game shops. My only previous visit was one day to disassemble and load an arcade machine so I'm happy to get some time to explore the city.

My first stop was a BookOff in a mall. They had some pretty eye-rolling prices ($130+ Working Designs PS1 games) but I grabbed a few cheaper things. I'm especially excited to own PBR since it's one of those low-print-run first-party games that has never come down in price.

I finally hit up a Book Off for the first time the other day. Pretty cool, though there were ridic prices on a few things. I picked up Kirby's Return to Dreamland, which was actually decently priced, as well as 1500 DS Spirits Shogi and Daigassou! Band Bros. DX .

The shogi game has some kind of multiple choice tsume shogi puzzle attack mode, but I haven't figured out the selections/translated the text, and of course no one else has done the lifting for me online because it's a budget shogi game. This one as of particular interest to me since developer Tasuke put out a DSi Ware version of their chess game in the series that actually made it to the NA eShop as Absolute Chess. That game has a campaign mode where you have to beat the AI opponents plus clear certain conditions (capturing certain pieces, time limits, keeping 4 pawns on the board, etc.) to beat the stage that adds a nice little bit of interest to playing chess against a computer. The same mode is present in the shogi game, though once again I'll have to look up what the objectives actually are.

The Band Bros. cartridge has 22 of the 100 potential downloaded songs on it; wish there were more, but at least two of them are Ashley's theme and the title theme from Merry Christmas Mister Lawrence. Haven't been able to find a list of everything that was made available before the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection closed down.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Discount Viscount posted:

The Band Bros. cartridge has 22 of the 100 potential downloaded songs on it; wish there were more

Yo.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Thank you! I will make it worth your while. I live nowhere near the midwest so I get the bone.

Hey I tried bro but the only one near me said they didn't get any at all. I'll check again if there rumors about another shipment.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Ineffiable posted:

Hey I tried bro but the only one near me said they didn't get any at all. I'll check again if there rumors about another shipment.

Thank you dude. Hey if you don't end up getting an SNES mini and I score a second one, it's yours.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Thank you dude. Hey if you don't end up getting an SNES mini and I score a second one, it's yours.

Awesome. I'm really after that one. I'd get a nes classic but only at MSRP. It's too much otherwise. Snes classic though, God drat it I will have one by the end of the year.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's too bad there isn't some kind of method of ordering something, but like before it comes out so the manufacturer knows exactly how many to create. Some kind of pre-release ordering system but I'm talking about some Star Trek levels of optimistic future stuff here.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

al-azad posted:

It's too bad there isn't some kind of method of ordering something, but like before it comes out so the manufacturer knows exactly how many to create. Some kind of pre-release ordering system but I'm talking about some Star Trek levels of optimistic future stuff here.

Crosspost from SNES Classic thread, because yes, you are imagining some ridiculous magical system.

Tender Bender posted:

You're making every aspect from setting a budget to working out deals with manufacturers to going into production to distribution, more complicated and subject to change by making it all dependent on pre-order totals and specific numbers from specific retailers. And collecting those is a nightmare in itself unless you're only selling through like, the nintendo, best buy, Amazon, and Walmart websites, which will miss a large chunk of potential buyers. And you're relying on your distributors to accurately collect and report pre-orders through their various methods. It's doable, but takes a lot more effort, and who's gonna be doing that, and what would they be doing instead? Then consider you're either going to have to rush manufacturing way more than is ideal, or take pre-orders way earlier than is ideal, in which case you're going to get inaccurate numbers. And you're going to have to have a hard cap anyway, because what if the pre-order numbers are higher than what you're able to work out with manufacturers? Then people get their pre-orders canceled and you run into an entirely different pr shitstorm.

And if you don't do it perfectly you're gonna undersell or oversell which defeats the whole point!

It's just like... A big headache for little gain. You're still gonna piss off everyone who didn't know to pre-order like nine months ahead of time.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Think there's any chance in hell they don't go in and fix whatever allowed people to add games to NES classic? Will the people, as always, find a way regardless?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tree Dude posted:

Think there's any chance in hell they don't go in and fix whatever allowed people to add games to NES classic? Will the people, as always, find a way regardless?

The NES Mini could do it because the mini-usb port used for power had its data ports wired to the mobo as well. It certainly wouldn't be hard to correct.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The NES Mini could do it because the mini-usb port used for power had its data ports wired to the mobo as well. It certainly wouldn't be hard to correct.

Frankly I'm astonished this was left in and the data connectivity wasn't severed on shipped units.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

univbee posted:

Frankly I'm astonished this was left in and the data connectivity wasn't severed on shipped units.

I'm not, Nintendo has a bad habit of shipping debug stuff in their hardware.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
That certainly made it easier, but if your El cheapo box is just a generic off the shelf cpu that's just going to happen.

Also do they even care since they didn't offer a way to pay to add games? I'd think it would help drive demand up.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Crackbone posted:

Crosspost from SNES Classic thread, because yes, you are imagining some ridiculous magical system.

I think part of it too is because with the rise of the regularly released AAA video games in the 00s pre-orders actually don't have as much of an effect on how many copies of a game a publisher chooses to publish than one might think.

The pre-ordering isn't there just to determine demand for a game, the publisher already has a projection of that on their own based on how much they drop on marketing and where they plan to distribute a game and so on. Pre-orders can factor into that but the primary reason game pre-orders exist is because Best Buy, Amazon, GameStop, etc. want to purchase as many copies of the games for as little as possible. When they get a number of pre-orders, they can from that derive a number and tell a publisher hey I can absolutely guarantee we will move ____ number of games in _____ days/weeks so give us a break. The publisher already has an idea of what they're going to sell, the pre-orders just dictate who they give the best deal to because they can count on that company to move the most copies of the game. And retailers of course love that since they want to be able to say hell yeah we have ___ game just walk right in and buy it and all this other stuff.

For something that's a huge established hit like a GTA game, the amount they manufacture is literally everything they can physically manufacture. With Nintendo stuff you get the ouroboros where Nintendo isn't making a huge number of them, so there's only so much of a deal any of the major companies can get, which means they're not going to waste time/space getting a ton of them, which means Nintendo only puts them into circulation for like four months because they base that on how much retailers want to buy. To put that in perspective GameStop typically pays around $29~$35-ish for each copy of Call of Duty, they pay like $38-$42-ish for a $49.99 Nintendo game. Companies are only going to want to spend so much time and space on stuff that doesn't turn as big a profit as other stuff. Nintendo is fine with just making a small number of a thing because they know nostalgia is strong so they go for the gold and know people will be talking about Nintendo stuff forever and immediately buying Nintendo stuff.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Discount Viscount posted:

I finally hit up a Book Off for the first time the other day. Pretty cool, though there were ridic prices on a few things. I picked up Kirby's Return to Dreamland, which was actually decently priced, as well as 1500 DS Spirits Shogi and Daigassou! Band Bros. DX .

When I'm in LA I go to the Gardina location myself. In general I found their prices on things that American nerds know to be a bit high and the prices for everything else to be in line with what you'd expect for Japanese purchase + a few bucks for shipping.

You're running into the same problems I have when it comes to getting Japanese games. My tastes are just too weird and I wind up having a hard time finding any information, even in Japanese. And it never helps when all Japanese gameplay footage is on Nico Nico so I can't even consult walkthroughs.

Only Shallow posted:

Anyway LA goons I like your city :)

That's a cool haul. To answer your question, I can't say I think very highly of the NES Roadblasters, but I doubt it was a significant purchase for you anyway.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Crackbone posted:

It's a good thing Nintendo is a small publisher with only a few years of experience under their belt who hasn't been manufacturing electronics for well over 40 years.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

al-azad posted:

It's a good thing Nintendo is a small publisher with only a few years of experience under their belt who hasn't been manufacturing electronics for well over 40 years.

Mad?

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Random Stranger posted:

You're running into the same problems I have when it comes to getting Japanese games. My tastes are just too weird and I wind up having a hard time finding any information, even in Japanese. And it never helps when all Japanese gameplay footage is on Nico Nico so I can't even consult walkthroughs.

I mean, at least there are an abundance of translation tools out there these days so I theoretically could muddle through it without too much trouble, but it's still :effort: . It's at the point where I should just buckle down and study kana so at least I could read some words and type in romaji.

Tasuke's table game series runs into all the problems you mentioned because they're, well, budget table games, and looking around I found that they also apparently released collections of the 1500 series games on single DS carts. Additionally, there are different, later versions of some of them (the V/Victory series), but what information I can find online doesn't really indicate what differences there might be in those besides the title screens.

It's really great caring about this stupid poo poo. I should probably just fire up an emulator.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

As everyone's parents have likely said "I'm not mad, just disappointed."

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

al-azad posted:

Being a big manufacturer does fix the problems Tender Bender wrote about.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Random Stranger posted:

When I'm in LA I go to the Gardina location myself. In general I found their prices on things that American nerds know to be a bit high and the prices for everything else to be in line with what you'd expect for Japanese purchase + a few bucks for shipping.

Gardena, not Gardina. Sorry, my hometown and I gotta defend it.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Nintendo also kind of has terrible logistics to the US/EU for such a big company, to even barely keep up with Switch demands they had to charter a few really expensive air freight flights of nothing but Switches.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Elliotw2 posted:

Nintendo also kind of has terrible logistics to the US/EU for such a big company, to even barely keep up with Switch demands they had to charter a few really expensive air freight flights of nothing but Switches.

Right, this is the #1 issue right here. Distributors have direct contact with the manufacturer, they're the ones putting in orders. There is no 100% accurate ordering system but it is not a great effort to collect data from the companies you're selling your product to. But man, Nintendo just does not communicate with the people they do business with.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/ocornut/status/881876378056085505

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

drat that game would have looked incredible.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

drat that game would have looked incredible.

The cancelled 2D Rayman 2 also looked great. It was doing the foreground/background swap thing and had other Yoshi's Island inspired ideas happening between the two planes.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Yo, old game peeps! Recently my PS2 has started acting up - it won't read discs immediately after startup. It just spins up, softly clicks for a bit, then spins down. If I let it sit on the PS2 startup screen for a while, it will read and from that point on will work fine. I've swabbed the laser lens with a bit of 91% isopropyl and adjusted it a bit with no effect. I swear I've seen the occasional tear or something in the video too, but that might have been nothing.

Anybody have any experience with this? It's proving rather difficult to google since the results are all about the more common-seeming laser issues.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

SavageMessiah posted:

Yo, old game peeps! Recently my PS2 has started acting up - it won't read discs immediately after startup. It just spins up, softly clicks for a bit, then spins down. If I let it sit on the PS2 startup screen for a while, it will read and from that point on will work fine. I've swabbed the laser lens with a bit of 91% isopropyl and adjusted it a bit with no effect. I swear I've seen the occasional tear or something in the video too, but that might have been nothing.

Anybody have any experience with this? It's proving rather difficult to google since the results are all about the more common-seeming laser issues.

The behavior sounds like capacitor issues, but I wouldn't be able to tell you much in that regard.

If it's an early model PS2 (not slim), I'd say begin your research into FreeMCBoot and getting yourself a HDD adapter if you don't already, and be rid of the laser issue by way of circumvention.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It sounds like it just be related to the normal issue the PS2's have where the laser gets stuck in CD or DVD mode, but not entirely there yet.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Thought you guys might be interested in this, a full book on just the neo geo, in English:

https://www.bitmapbooks.co.uk/products/neogeo-a-visual-history

Up for preorders for later this year.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Also I hope you guys don't mind a double post. I'm going down to Orlando Florida later this year and could use some recommendations for game stores, arcades or pinball places.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Ineffiable posted:

Also I hope you guys don't mind a double post. I'm going down to Orlando Florida later this year and could use some recommendations for game stores, arcades or pinball places.

I feel like they move it around, but there is an F-Zero AX machine on Disney property. I last saw it in the Contemporary.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Ineffiable posted:

Double ppsting carries the death penalty, citizen.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Paging Monitor Burn, I knew you were interested in this as well:

In my never ending pursuit to find replacement AC adapters which are more efficient than their older counterparts, are smaller, supply more amperage (Everdrive), and won't burn your house down, I found another brand:

This one is center-positive, 9V, 2A, and UL Listed. It also comes with adapters so you can size down to a model 2 Genesis, 32X, or CDX.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N8W9LQ7/

This is the center-negative PWR+ I've called out in the past. This will work with SMS, model 1 Genesis, Sega CD, and PC Engine. NES, SNES, and Turbografx probably work too, but please verify.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DTI9CJ4/

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://www.pcmag.com/news/354676/hyperkin-launching-an-optical-mouse-for-snes

Optical SNES Mouse. :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

azurite posted:

Paging Monitor Burn, I knew you were interested in this as well:

In my never ending pursuit to find replacement AC adapters which are more efficient than their older counterparts, are smaller, supply more amperage (Everdrive), and won't burn your house down, I found another brand:

This one is center-positive, 9V, 2A, and UL Listed. It also comes with adapters so you can size down to a model 2 Genesis, 32X, or CDX.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N8W9LQ7/

This is the center-negative PWR+ I've called out in the past. This will work with SMS, model 1 Genesis, Sega CD, and PC Engine. NES, SNES, and Turbografx probably work too, but please verify.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DTI9CJ4/

What are some good ones aside from these? I've heard of the RetroDC one, but it is way more expensive than these ($45)

• Locked thread