Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Also, full reviews are up for Spider-Man: Homecoming. Very positive overall. 93% on Rotten tomatoes.

The biggest complaint from reviewers is... that there is no backstory or origin for Spider-Man in the movie at all.

:psyduck:

The conversation in Civil War where Peter is talking about Uncle Bens death and never once mentioning uncle Ben was fantastic, so this pleases me.

"If I can stop these things, and I don't......then it's my fault" :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The last decade provided not one, but two successful Spider-Man film series. At this point, how many people are still unaware of Peter Parker's origin story? It can't be that many!

Furthermore: gently caress origin stories. As a general rule, providing extraneous background exposition for characters is a waste of time. Superpowered characters are no exception, and the sooner everyone realizes that the better off we'll all be.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jul 2, 2017

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

graham cracker posted:

No Plastic Man. :sigh:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I already know about Spider-Man and his parents of millionaire, but what about the origin of Dr. Jackstraw?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Fox has to have "active production" on a Fantastic Four movie within 7 years of the last one being finished.

Active production doesn't really mean anything, though. They could technically slow roll it and Marvel would have to take them to court and prove that they are purposefully trying to breach the terms of the contract.

There are only 3 ways Marvel can get the FF rights back:

1) Outright buy them from Fox
2) Fox doesn't have a movie in production within 7 years.
3) There is a severance clause in Marvel's IP deals where if they can prove that the other studio is purposefully making decisions/movies that are bad in order to damage the Marvel brand or IP they can get it back for breach of contract.

It would be very hard to prove that Fox is going slowly or making bad movies on purpose.

With #3 they may have a case because making poo poo as awful as F4 takes effort.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Skippy McPants posted:

The last decade provided not one, but two successful Spider-Man film series. At this point, how many people are still unaware of Peter Parker's origin story? It can't be that many!

Furthermore: gently caress origin stories. As a general rule, providing extraneous background exposition for characters is a waste of time. Superpowered characters are no exception, and the sooner everyone realizes that the better off we'll all be.

Extraneous is the key here, because the origin story in MoS was necessary to the story being told. And hell, the Costner scenes were some of the best in a comic book movie. Also it gave Zod some actual motivation beyond "Rarr, gonna smash da Earf!"

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Mameluke posted:

The real goonsay is demanding Zack Snyder make a Marvel movie.

I mean, I'd like to see what Zack Snyder would do with a Marvel property, which one I'm not sure, but it'd be an interesting movie at least.

Alternatively do the Avengers/Justice League Crossover Movie with both Zack Snyder and Joss Whedon at the helm of their respective half.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Zack Snyder's Star Fox

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Zack Snyder's Star Fox

On that note, a Ralph Macchio directed Karate Kid.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Mameluke posted:

The real goonsay is demanding Zack Snyder make a Marvel movie.

I want a Zack Snyder Star Wars movie. The one that was rumored to be like Seven Samurai, with seven Jedi protecting an entire planet.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

teagone posted:

I want a Zack Snyder Star Wars movie. The one that was rumored to be like Seven Samurai, with seven Jedi protecting an entire planet.

I want David Fincher's Star Wars about robot slavery.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Zack Snyder's Ant-Man 2

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I am changing my Zack Snyder Star Fox(marvel character) to Wes Anderson Lylat Wars

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

I think they were smart to have no origin story in this because first it's Spider-Man people know and second Uncle Ben/etc. can be brought up in conversation when he explains it to Thanos seconds before all of existence is wiped clean making him realize that With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility and saving the earth.

Actually in this version Thanos is Uncle Ben.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

LesterGroans posted:

I want David Fincher's Star Wars about robot slavery.

Quentin Tarantino's IG-88 biopic

Aaron Sorkin's Court of the Emperor

David Milch's Mos Eisley Spaceport

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tim Heidecker's Star Wars Crimbus Special

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Skippy McPants posted:

I think it can work for some characters. I just saw Wonder Woman this afternoon, and I think covering her origin worked very well for that film.

Bat, Super, or Spider, though? We know the drill, get to the interesting stuff.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Venture Bros and Incredibles are making me lean towards thinking any Fantastic Four really needs to embrace its silliness and not try to be serious.

Set it in the 50's! That would solve a lot of its tone problems
The only Fantastic Four I ever liked were the hosed up douche four in Planetary so I think the correct play is to lean in on the fact they're mostly all unlikeable

Guess you can't really do that though
I didn't actually think the last movie was as bad as the Comic Book Guy hyperbole said it was but it sure was an unfinished mess of a film. Just thought it had some salvageable elements and the hint of body horror type stuff that Trank had in there actually worked for me until the second half went completely poo poo.

Also, full reviews are up for Spider-Man: Homecoming. Very positive overall. 93% on Rotten tomatoes.

The biggest complaint from reviewers is... that there is no backstory or origin for Spider-Man in the movie at all.

:psyduck:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

According to Marvel, most versions of Reed Richards not from Earth 616 are evil. They should run with that in the MCU, make Reed the new Thanos (as Kang, probably).

By the way, WW is now the highest domestic grosser of the DCEU, above BvS. It has also financially surpassed Thor 2, the MCU movie Patty Jenkins had to leave.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
They should definitely do something with how immoral/goony Reed can be sometimes but it might be a bit much for the first movie.

I think the first thing a F4 movie needs to work is for the cast to have really good chemistry.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Harry Potter in MCU space/multiverse. If you want, start with Franklin and Valeria as they tag along with their parents in a family adventure across the multiverse, with sections that involve Dr. Doom and Namor. Crib from Hickman's interpretations/Future Foundation. Let's try something different than the standard superhero stuff.

I'd also love a Planetary Anthology series that explores TV pop culture (versus the comics/print explored in the series).

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Ron Perlman lookin good!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

graham cracker posted:

Ron Perlman lookin good!

Does he blush?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Actually I'm kinda surprised they haven't found a Marvel role to give Perlman yet.

EDIT: Oh apparently he was in Blade 2.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Gatts posted:

Harry Potter in MCU space/multiverse. If you want, start with Franklin and Valeria as they tag along with their parents in a family adventure across the multiverse, with sections that involve Dr. Doom and Namor. Crib from Hickman's interpretations/Future Foundation. Let's try something different than the standard superhero stuff.

I'd also love a Planetary Anthology series that explores TV pop culture (versus the comics/print explored in the series).
My dream is a Planetary anything at this point, it just seems so hard whatever culture you explore since so much of it is like Not-FictionalCharacter ala how I hear (never read it) The League of Extroardinary Gentlemen gets with like Definitely Not Harry Potter/James Bond.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Gatts posted:

Does he blush?

He will.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Penny Arcade webcomic about a robot detective is getting a live action adaptation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTCdM2RUIk4

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Could we just get the Pluto movie already instead?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

teagone posted:

The funny thing is, back in the 70s when Marvel originally had the Star Wars license, their first ever original Star Wars story after the ANH adaptation was a loose Seven Samurai adaptation. Their version of the seven samurai included Jaxxon the giant green rabbit and a Jedi Knight named Don-Wan Kihotay, and the villain was a parody of Sergio Aragones.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Chairman Capone posted:

the villain was a parody of Sergio Aragones.

Ah ha ha ha ha that's great :haw:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Re: origin stories, i had a discussion with someone who thought mos and bvs didn't explore Supermans motivations, and that they didn't explain why Superman helps people and what motivates him to be good.

Doesn't matter that we all know what he is about, unless he looks into the camera and says something inane like "i like savibg people because it makes me feel good" people wont loving get it and scratch their loving head afterwards

If anything, Wonder Woman has showed that people want their capemovies nice and simple

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

The MSJ posted:

The Penny Arcade webcomic about a robot detective is getting a live action adaptation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTCdM2RUIk4

From what I read of the comic the movie will have a pretty easy time being better.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

teagone posted:

This would be dope

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

McCloud posted:

Re: origin stories, i had a discussion with someone who thought mos and bvs didn't explore Supermans motivations, and that they didn't explain why Superman helps people and what motivates him to be good.

Doesn't matter that we all know what he is about, unless he looks into the camera and says something inane like "i like savibg people because it makes me feel good" people wont loving get it and scratch their loving head afterwards

If anything, Wonder Woman has showed that people want their capemovies nice and simple

I think it's sort of the opposite of what that guy argued: pretty much every other depiction of Superman ever made didn't bother exploring the question because the character was literally designed to do good and give hope to everyone around him but MoS and BvS bucked the system by making him actually question his motivations and explore the issue. BvS also put Batman's motivations through a wringer. The problem isn't that the movies didn't explore his motivations, it's that they didn't gloss over them and quickly move on to exciting adventures.

People are happy to have their superheroes express doubts about certain things (there's some iconic Spider-Man comics where he turns his back on superheroics) as long as those doubts are along very specific lines and always end with the hero realising that the power was within him all along, all it takes it a good man, being a superhero is awesome, helping people is it's own reward, etc etc.. A movie which has the message "Superheroes don't have it all worked out, they've got to deal with the same poo poo and moral quandaries that everyone does, there's no easy answer to any problem" just won't give people the escapism fix they were probably expecting.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

hiddenriverninja posted:

This would be dope

It would be dumb since they already made Star Wars: The Seven Samurai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-9OPULmrFE

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

graham cracker posted:

Ron Perlman lookin good!

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jul 3, 2017

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

McCloud posted:

But I didn't get that from Man of Steel at all. Nothing about the film conveyed that the character felt good about saving others. If I have to bring a sense of the character's decency from another source because the movie makes him a tortured and miserable soul who seems to only be burdened by the lives he saves, it's not my fault for not having the proper context for who the character is from an outside source. It's the film drawing the character poorly.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Until he's Superman, saving people doesn't really seem to make him feel good. It makes him feel bad because he knows it's gonna gently caress up his life again, but he does it anyway because it's the right thing to do. Once he becomes Superman, he starts to be able to do good things without being punished for it, and I think it's pretty obvious when he saves the Mexican kid that he likes that experience. He could easily just drop the kid off and fly away immediately if he didn't like the attention at least a little bit.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Martman posted:

He could easily just drop the kid off and fly away immediately if he didn't like the attention at least a little bit.

When he flies away he sonicbooms the immediate area which would be bad for anyone he'd just dropped off

"Well you're home again kid, seeya!"
/flies away
/ kid is blown 20 feet through the air, his internal organs jellified

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Martman posted:

Until he's Superman, saving people doesn't really seem to make him feel good. It makes him feel bad because he knows it's gonna gently caress up his life again, but he does it anyway because it's the right thing to do. Once he becomes Superman, he starts to be able to do good things without being punished for it, and I think it's pretty obvious when he saves the Mexican kid that he likes that experience. He could easily just drop the kid off and fly away immediately if he didn't like the attention at least a little bit.

Yeah, that's why he looked so pained and tortured during those moments with the Mexican kid, when he seemed to have the entire world on his shoulders and had to pay penance for it. Not because he feels the weight of being revered as a deity by people who don't empathize with his plight because they consider him God-made-flesh, it's because he loves it and just wants to savor it.

• Locked thread