Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

now explain his powerbomb

THA POWERRRrrrr... ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WadeBartender
Aug 18, 2013

The_Rob posted:

Romans matches all seem very planned out to an insane degree.

I agree Randy Savage was bad

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

AJ thinks the Earth is flat

this is actually extremely cool

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
AJ does not think the Earth is flat

He's just askin' questions, people.:tinfoil:

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Seth-HHH was one of the worst matches at WM and the build loving sucked

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

DoctorGonzo posted:

Roman-HHH was one of the worst matches at WM and the build loving sucked

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jackie D posted:

Sting-HHH was one of the worst matches at WM and the build loving sucked

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

hot take: triple h is actually bad

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

can't believe it. goons loved triple h so much a couple years ago. hopefully he gets another world title reign to show what he could do without vince holding him back. smh burying the most popular nxt talent ever.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

MassRafTer posted:

CM Punk was sloppy and got gassed and it didn't stop him from having great matches. Seth Rollins has been painfully average for the last year, Roman has definitely been better than him. Ric Flair did less moves than Roman and AJ thinks the Earth is flat and jerks off to Trump while Roman is a good dad and friend to all man.

Wrestling is drama and build not moves, friend.

You know what, I'll bite even though I know there's 0% chance of me getting a non-ironic answer: why do you think Roman Reigns is a legitimate great wrestler? You, not Meltzer or whatever. I think he's a perfectly OK dude that has had the benefit of instant heat from being always in the title contendership and the chance to work with some amazing talent. The issue isn't that his moveset is limited, is that it's uninteresting, his power offense looks like a struggle, his brawling is limited to superman punches and the drive-by. His spear is a good finisher but it's also overplayed, so he doesn't even get the Stunner/RKO boost there. He's booked to be at the same time this unbeatable monster and the full-of-heart babyface. There's no drama in Roman matches, he takes extended heat, makes the comeback a la Cena and either gets screwed or hits a spear. Outside of the ring, dude is not a good promo, and WWE has built his character up to be as generic as possible. LIke, I don't think he's horrible or unsalvageable, but what is the FIRE psychology Roman brings to the table, what is the unique personality and character work, what's the technical element?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Dias posted:

You know what, I'll bite even though I know there's 0% chance of me getting a non-ironic answer: why do you think Roman Reigns is a legitimate great wrestler? You, not Meltzer or whatever. I think he's a perfectly OK dude that has had the benefit of instant heat from being always in the title contendership and the chance to work with some amazing talent. The issue isn't that his moveset is limited, is that it's uninteresting, his power offense looks like a struggle, his brawling is limited to superman punches and the drive-by. His spear is a good finisher but it's also overplayed, so he doesn't even get the Stunner/RKO boost there. He's booked to be at the same time this unbeatable monster and the full-of-heart babyface. There's no drama in Roman matches, he takes extended heat, makes the comeback a la Cena and either gets screwed or hits a spear. Outside of the ring, dude is not a good promo, and WWE has built his character up to be as generic as possible. LIke, I don't think he's horrible or unsalvageable, but what is the FIRE psychology Roman brings to the table, what is the unique personality and character work, what's the technical element?

Roman Reigns is the only wrestler to have an unironically good singles match with Suplex City Lesnar that didn't rely on being extremely short. I am regularly entertained by his matches, and his expressions are extremely good. I haven't seen an expression of babyface hope like when he finally staggered Lesnar in my entire time as a wrestling fan. Roman is a wrestler I can actually buy into the emotions he expresses on TV, unlike more or less anyone on the roster.

And since goons hated Roman around WM31 as a human being, I also sympathize with a human being held to an impossibly high standard.

Roman says something goons dislike about wrestling? loving DOUCHE.
Seth cheats on his fiancee with a Nazi (who he absolutely adores)? Love Seth even more (while claiming they think Nazis are bad and should not be around WWE, so don't claim it doesn't count because it isn't wrestling-related).

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

roman reigns is great and if you disagree then you can get the heck out of his yard

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

John Dudebro posted:

roman reigns is great and if you disagree then you can get the heck out of his yard

This too. The yard thing is the kind of 'meant to sound cool but is also dumb' that I love in wrestling.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Reigns is an okay wrestler that can work to his opponent's level, but apart from his look he's terrible in every other aspect. That's my hot take.

My favourite Reigns moment came from a live RAW I went to, it was when Rollins got injured and they arranged a tournament for the title. HHH opened with a twenty minute promo with Reigns. My friend that I went with asked if Reigns was related to the Rock. I said yes. He then asked if he was charismatic like the Rock.

He answered his own question after Reigns had one sentence in the twenty minutes, and he stumbled over the first words.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just lol when HHH beats Kurt at next years WM.

Also Roman is a competent wrestler with a bad moveset and atrocious writing and his mic skills are bad

Seth nazi girlfriend doesnt have to do with anything Seth the wrestler does or did, you loving morons. She is really cool, has nice tatoos and was victim of a online lynch mob. VERY UNFAIR!

DoctorGonzo fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jul 3, 2017

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Roman Reigns is the only wrestler to have an unironically good singles match with Suplex City Lesnar that didn't rely on being extremely short. I am regularly entertained by his matches, and his expressions are extremely good. I haven't seen an expression of babyface hope like when he finally staggered Lesnar in my entire time as a wrestling fan. Roman is a wrestler I can actually buy into the emotions he expresses on TV, unlike more or less anyone on the roster.

And since goons hated Roman around WM31 as a human being, I also sympathize with a human being held to an impossibly high standard.

Roman says something goons dislike about wrestling? loving DOUCHE.
Seth cheats on his fiancee with a Nazi (who he absolutely adores)? Love Seth even more (while claiming they think Nazis are bad and should not be around WWE, so don't claim it doesn't count because it isn't wrestling-related).

Are you real?

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Hey, the build to Sting-HHH was alright! But then bafflingly the match was completely different from the story they'd told up to that point.

Dias posted:

He has good pacing, and knows how to make drama in matches. He's not amazing, but he's had way too many matches I've enjoyed to claim I don't like his in-ring work. Someone earlier said that he's rarely going to elevate opponents, but he can hold his own end of the bargain against the best. I would like a more varied moveset, and gently caress the spear as his finisher, but he is a good wrestler.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The superman punch is idiotic and i hate it.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

DoctorGonzo posted:

Just lol when HHH beats Kurt at next years WM.

Also Roman is a competent wrestler with a bad moveset and atrocious writing and his mic skills are bad

Seth nazi girlfriend doesnt have to do with anything Seth the wrestler does or did, you loving morons. She is really cool, has nice tatoos and was victim of a online lynch mob. VERY UNFAIR!

Gonzo, I have no issue with you. If you feel that way, then it's fine for you not to judge Seth. If you did judge her and call for punishment for her (such as being fired) and still clamored to support Seth being pushed even harder as a result, that is VERY UNFAIR and something I have an issue with.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Gonzo, I have no issue with you. If you feel that way, then it's fine for you not to judge Seth. If you did judge her and call for punishment for her (such as being fired) and still clamored to support Seth being pushed even harder as a result, that is VERY UNFAIR and something I have an issue with.

I did not judge her and it was VERY SAD that he lost her job because a bunch of loving idiots complained about it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Hell agreed

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

triple h was the best thing in the rumble last year catch you later

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I mean, anyone involved with Katie Vick has a cap on how good they can be.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I mean, anyone involved with Katie Vick has a cap on how good they can be.

God-tier like Kane?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Kane transcends all.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

WadeBartender posted:

I agree Randy Savage was bad

The difference being that it wasn't the company planning out savages matches, and Macho Man having the most charisma to ever exist in a human being.

Honestly my big problem with Roman is that he doesn't have an in ring personality. He just have very generic offense and has no real cohesion when streaming it all together. He's does a lot strikes where they don't look strong or painful in the slightest. His power moves aren't impressive, if he dives he almost clips the top rope almost every time. He's not that technical he really is just kind of bland in ring. His actually story telling is fine but I wouldn't watch one of his matches over anyone else. He's just kind of bland in ring wise.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
you best stay out of the big dogs yard, or you'll face the consequences

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySS9xXEPD2g

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I think Toma Tonga should just be Roman instead.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

I hope Goldust lands his golden globes on R-Truth's face at Great Ballz of Fire.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dias posted:

He has great timing, absolutely fantastic timing mainly. WWE matches are pretty structured these days due to the style and agenting so one of the big things a wrestler can bring to them is timing. Roman knows exactly when to hit his spots and transition and that's part of why his big spots get big reactions so often even from a crowd booing him. He also does little things like knowing when to fight back and get hope spots in. He has a lot of physical charisma so that helps sell his strikes and such.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Roman is a good heel shoe horned into a dogshit baby face role

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Cena had a really good match with Suplex City Lesnar.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Lesnar's best matches since his comeback were absolutely Cena (especially the XR match), Reigns, and the Summerslam/HIAC Taker matches. IDK if anything comes close to those, though the Goldberg matches were fun spectacles.

The HHH and Rollins matches were notoriously awful.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I loving roll my eyes whenever anyone calls Reigns/Lesnar a remarkable match.

Roman literally did nothing in that match. He hit Lesnar against a ringpost and then hit his spots. That was loving it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

MassRafTer posted:

He has great timing, absolutely fantastic timing mainly. WWE matches are pretty structured these days due to the style and agenting so one of the big things a wrestler can bring to them is timing. Roman knows exactly when to hit his spots and transition and that's part of why his big spots get big reactions so often even from a crowd booing him. He also does little things like knowing when to fight back and get hope spots in. He has a lot of physical charisma so that helps sell his strikes and such.

I'll agree with you that his timing is REAL good, it's basically what makes his good matches (and why he was so good in the Shield). I still feel his psychology and offense leave quite a bit to be desired compared to a lot of other faces, and at the end of the day I agree with this:

Tomahawk posted:

Roman is a good heel shoe horned into a dogshit baby face role

It's kinda hard to buy Roman's hope spots when he's both an rear end in a top hat (not the performer, the character) and pretty much unbeatable in a straight-up fight. His great timing would be better served if he was cutting down babyface comebacks, since as you noted he can sell strikes pretty well. It's why I don't think he's great: a lot of it has to do with poo poo WWE booking but in my opinion Roman as a face wrestles like the worst eras of Cena - and maybe he'll get REAL good like Cena did, but as of right now I don't think he's good enough/has enough of a pull to make up for all that.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah I mean if you liked Roman/Lesnar, cool, I liked it too but please acknowledge it was a total carry job by Lesnar that is significantly aided by the cash in.

Also please don't pretend Roman got something out of Lesnar that say, Seth or Dean or Randy just couldn't.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

VJeff posted:

Yeah I mean if you liked Roman/Lesnar, cool, I liked it too but please acknowledge it was a total carry job by Lesnar that is significantly aided by the cash in.

Also please don't pretend Roman got something out of Lesnar that say, Seth or Dean or Randy just couldn't.

dean tried, remember

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

VJeff posted:

I guess Seth, Dean, HHH and Randy were just too bad for Lesnar to do his Bret/Coked-Out-Davey-Boy carry job on them.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Roman reigns laughed at the suplexes. Do you understand how strange that is? He LAUGHED at those suplexes. What are we to make of this? He got suplexed and then we noticed he was SMILING and LAUGHING about it. Why? Why would he do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
I might be more inclined to like Roman if he didn't still dress like his old stable and come out to his old stable's music long after they've broken up, a la X-Pac.

• Locked thread