Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Krispy Kareem posted:

I will probably need to watch this at least 3 more times to catch everything. I didn't even appreciate the continuous shot in the beginning until it was half over.

That was Lenox mall. I think near the food courts.

I went to Georgia State, so it was cool seeing all the buildings and parks around the campus.

Yeah I went to school in the area also, so was cool seeing Octane and such. But guess I haven't been to Lenox since I moved away so didn't recognize it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I think it was in the "old mall" area where the Foot Locker was and the escalators to the food court.

I took my 16 year nephew to the movie and we immediately went home and watched Hot Fuzz. These movies are like 3-d chess there are so many layers.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

checkplease posted:

Yeah I went to school in the area also, so was cool seeing Octane and such. But guess I haven't been to Lenox since I moved away so didn't recognize it.

poo poo, I was convinced that Octane was just a visual car joke. Like, I was convinced they made a coffee shop from the ground up just because Edgar wanted to put a little joke about how Baby was fuelled by 'Octane'.

Now I'm imagining how giddy he got when he found out that there was a coffee shop named such, and it's giving me kinda :3: feelings.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Wait, so is Goodfellas pizza also a real business?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Spergatory posted:

Wait, so is Goodfellas pizza also a real business?

There's a popularish brand of frozen/chilled pizzas in the UK called Goodfellas. I'm sure there are 10's of 'Goodfellas' branded stores in the US as well.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Red Oktober posted:

There's a popularish brand of frozen/chilled pizzas in the UK called Goodfellas. I'm sure there are 10's of 'Goodfellas' branded stores in the US as well.

I assumed it was a Not Godfather's Pizza.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I've never heard of it, but yeah - apparently there is a Goodfellas Pizza in midtown Atlanta.

Talk about a product plug.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tracking for $30 million for the weekend, which is pretty loving good for an Edgar Wright movie. Although going off of Box Office Mojo it opened up in more theaters than his previous.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Something I didn't quite get until I read something about it just now-- in the foot chase, after Baby's iPod gets shot and the tinnitus sound starts creeping back in, you can see Baby put his fingers to his neck as he runs. He's feeling his own pulse. Dude needs a rhythm to his life so bad that in the absence of everything else, he will use his own pounding heartbeat to drive away the noise.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I think I read that the studio was expecting around 20 mil for the weekend so looks like it outperformed, which is great.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I went back and saw this today with a friend (have an unlimited card, so it was a good chance to see him) and the cinema was absolutely packed. Relatively few showings (only 3 a day at the o2 I think), but still, packed.

Watching it again, on the TV near the start you can see Noel Fielding at the start of Blue Song. And, as suspected the TV does give the Edgar Wright 'summary' of the film.

Giga Pet giveaway
Jun 28, 2008

You're Not Welcome?
I adore this movie so much. This is the first thing in a long time I'm going to drag multiple people with me to see several more times before it stops playing around here.

The literal only thing I didn't like was the obvious fake tattoos. They were so grey and light. The lines on Buddy and Darling's His and Hers neck ones looked imo impossibly thin and smooth for the size and location.
It seems like a weird detail to overlook since everyone had neck tattoos, and there are definitely ways to get them closer. Jane Levy's wrist stuff in Don't Breathe recently looked pretty decent. And all the white power stuff on Dennis Cockrum on Shameless was okay (especially the big back eagle) and that was filmed in like 2011.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
The more I think of it, the more I wish they hadn't giving away the vaulting the cop car bit at the end, that would've been a cool surprise.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So was the guy who interfered with the robbery just a 'good guy with a gun'?

The foreshadowing in the bank parking lot made me think it was a deliberate attempt to break up the robbery, but nothing else came of it.

Also, has Edgar Wright done the uninterrupted following shots from Baby Driver in anything other than that and Shawn of the Dead?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Krispy Kareem posted:

The foreshadowing in the bank parking lot made me think it was a deliberate attempt to break up the robbery, but nothing else came of it.

I think so, with the implication that he was ex-military?

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

Krispy Kareem posted:

Edgar Wright's response via his AMA.

"The idea was that he's an off-duty Marine. You can see some of his military bumper stickers. He has more than one firearm because HE IS FROM THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA."

Aquasnake fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 3, 2017

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Krispy Kareem posted:

Also, has Edgar Wright done the uninterrupted following shots from Baby Driver in anything other than that and Shawn of the Dead?

I had been thinking about that ever since the scene. I thought we were gonna find out he worked for on of Doc's rivals or something, or that he was undercover bank security.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Never crossed my mind that he was anything other than a good Samaritan veteran.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Am I wrong in hearing that the intro to Harlem Shuffle was played again during the second coffee run but slightly discordant?

What song was that?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Aquasnake posted:

Edgar Wright's response via his AMA.

"The idea was that he's an off-duty Marine. You can see some of his military bumper stickers. He has more than one firearm because HE IS FROM THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA."

Yeah, I think what confused me is just how many guns he had.

Plus the fact he managed to keep up with Baby Driver during the chase. He seemed a whole lot more 'professional' than ex-military, but I guess that's all he was.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Krispy Kareem posted:

Yeah, I had to admit when he was first up, I thought he was sent there to kill Baby and the rest on the very last job by the boss. It was the fact he had one of those one-handed machine guns that looked gold that made me think he was supposed to be a hitman undercover. Would have been better if he had a rifle.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Samovar posted:

Yeah, I had to admit when he was first up, I thought he was sent there to kill Baby and the rest on the very last job by the boss. It was the fact he had one of those one-handed machine guns that looked gold that made me think he was supposed to be a hitman undercover. Would have been better if he had a rifle.

Yeah, that's what threw me too. That gun seemed a little weird and out of place, and just sitting there like it was expecting to get used.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I figured he was private security hired by the bank.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
A good film. I guess the biggest problem for me was that it was really front loaded. Opening car chase best car chase. Harlem Shuffle best scene. I really liked that Harlem Shuffle scene and the number of different ways the scene referenced the music beyond the obvious graffiti. Although my favourite music/scene moment was incredibly dumb. When he's listening to Easy in the junkyard, a guy in the background is rolling a tire just as Richie starts a line with "O".

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Am I wrong in hearing that the intro to Harlem Shuffle was played again during the second coffee run but slightly discordant?

What song was that?

I don't know what version it was but it seems to be a bit of a signature. Both Sean of the Dead and Spaced (more than once) have scenes where a character does the same walk after the mood of the film/show has changed and the whole mood of the walk changes to go along with it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I suspect I am in the minority.

My least favorite of the Wright films I have seen. Shaun, Fuzz, Pilgrim, End of World.

I didn't dislike it, I just didn't like it nearly as much. Plus the 3rd act was a total mess and took me out of the film pretty badly.

I thought the first act was outstanding, though.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

It's weird how I used to have no opinion on Jamie Foxx and now I'm really excited when I see that he's in a movie. He has this gigantic on-screen presence. He was the highlight of the movie for me.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Waltzing Along posted:

I suspect I am in the minority.

My least favorite of the Wright films I have seen. Shaun, Fuzz, Pilgrim, End of World.

I didn't dislike it, I just didn't like it nearly as much. Plus the 3rd act was a total mess and took me out of the film pretty badly.

I thought the first act was outstanding, though.

Well, what about the third act was a mess, exactly?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Samovar posted:

Well, what about the third act was a mess, exactly?

It didn't make sense. All of a sudden Spacey is his friend? After threatening him and whatnot? Sacrificing his life? Uh...no. That made no sense. Plus the other guy being hell bent on killing him? It was almost like a 3rd act from a different film.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Spacey's character arc was weird and distracting. Also, money orders?

Back when I was in banking my grand imaginary robbery scheme involved American Express Traveler's Cheques. But I didn't have a crew of hardened criminals helping me out. It just seemed weird after so many high profile bank heists.

The movie was still great, just seemed like an odd direction.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I used to work in a bank cash vault. I literally would carry 3.2 million dollars around at a time. That's the place to rob. Of course there were armed guards and multiple security doors. But that's where the $$$ was.

3.2 million dollars: 2 bags, each with 1.6 million. That's 16 100,000 stacks. Each stack was 10 groups of 100 bounds 100s. But yeah, it's hard not to carry that amount of cash and have thoughts. I think they were about 20 pounds per bag.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Waltzing Along posted:

It didn't make sense. All of a sudden Spacey is his friend? After threatening him and whatnot? Sacrificing his life? Uh...no. That made no sense. Plus the other guy being hell bent on killing him? It was almost like a 3rd act from a different film.

What the heck? Are you really struggling to parse the motivation of the guy whose wife was killed due to Baby purposefully botching the getaway?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Waltzing Along posted:

I used to work in a bank cash vault. I literally would carry 3.2 million dollars around at a time. That's the place to rob. Of course there were armed guards and multiple security doors. But that's where the $$$ was.

3.2 million dollars: 2 bags, each with 1.6 million. That's 16 100,000 stacks. Each stack was 10 groups of 100 bounds 100s. But yeah, it's hard not to carry that amount of cash and have thoughts. I think they were about 20 pounds per bag.

Are those notes sequential or marked?
Plus a lot of banking is electronic nowadays

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

spacey knew that baby was hanging out with a girl, but doing something as colossally stupid as bringing her to his crime boss secret hideout sorta wrapped around the irritation scale and landed back at romantic. it was the end of the line for him anyway, or at least his business, so it was probably just a quick decision that a proper blaze of glory would involve helping them escape rather than killing them

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

got any sevens posted:

Are those notes sequential or marked?
Plus a lot of banking is electronic nowadays

If it's freshly printed from the Fed it's sequential, but the only marked money I ever saw was in the bait money in our cash drawers.

All marked money does is link the probable robbers you just arrested to the bank they robbed. Dye packs are better.

Venuz Patrol posted:

spacey knew that baby was hanging out with a girl, but doing something as colossally stupid as bringing her to his crime boss secret hideout sorta wrapped around the irritation scale and landed back at romantic. it was the end of the line for him anyway, or at least his business, so it was probably just a quick decision that a proper blaze of glory would involve helping them escape rather than killing them

I think Spacey thought he could get away with it until the very end, hence his comment about being able to handle the cops right before he realized it wasn't a cop.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

My only real complaint is the fact that Baby never drove a blue BRZ after being shown playing with the toy version during that briefing. :colbert:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Spacey demonstrated weird crime-dad feelings towards Baby throughout the movie, the biggest example of which being when he brought Baby home after the post-office. Baby feeds him the Monster Inc line, and he just goes with it and says "You'll be out of this shithole soon enough." He probably thought he was doing Baby a favor by keeping him in the game so he could finally make some real money. Sort of a tough love, 'you'll thank me for this later' kind of thing.

And given that Baby was probably one of the only constants in his life for several years, and that he's had him in his employ since the kid was actually a kid and quite literally watched him grow up, it's not that hard to believe that he'd have some paternalistic feelings toward him that won out over his pragmatism when he realized Baby was in love. (It's one thing to have a fling with a waitress who doesn't know about your crime life, it's quite another to have a girl who'll go on the lam with you she finds out you're a career criminal, you hosed up a robbery, killed a dude, and are currently the target of a statewide manhunt. Also you shot a guy right in front of her.)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

drat drat good. I really need to see it again.

It felt far less reference/nod heavy than his other films, but that the ones there were a lot more subtle.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Gonna be hard to top that opening musical scene for my favorite of the year. Loved that poo poo so much.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
question: when baby has to jack a car and starts flipping through the radio to find a song he recognizes, were all the songs he passes over the death songs that jamie foxx's old partner was paranoid about? the snippets were a bit too short for me to tell in theater.

huge missed opportunity, if not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
So, the movie was an aesthetic marvel, the chases amazing, the whole synchronicity with the music an editor's dream, but was it just me or was there was something consistently weird and off with the whole narrative of the movie? With a lesser director, I'd think it was just sloppiness, but knowing how meticulous Wright is, I'm straining for a read that makes sense... but I just can't make sense of it. There's just so many little things that seem off:

1) Like, seriously, what the gently caress is the deal with Kevin Spacey's character? First, he's set up as this paternalistic, 'good guy' gangster with a soft spot for Baby. Cool. But then, after that whole massive setup with Baby's debt and him paying it off, he immediately flips and is like, oh no, you're still my slave and have to work for me or I'll kill everyone you love. Okay, so what was the entire point of the debt? If the setup is "He has to work for Spacey or Spacey kills him", why not start with that? Why would you go through the entire facade of freeing someone only to immediately re-enslave them unless you're just a *MASSIVE rear end in a top hat WHO HATES THIS PERSON*? The thing is though, I could honestly 'get' that read on him (oh, the kindly mobster is actually a piece of poo poo villain).... but then the movie seems to immediately forget that and make him MORE of a kindly paternal figure... AFTER Baby has completely and utterly hosed him? It's like there's some baffling dynamic where the nicer and kinder Baby is, the crueler Spacey is, and only when Baby has totally hosed him over, he's suddenly nicer than he's ever been? And "I was in love once" doesn't really answer it, because he was acting pretty paternal earlier in the scene, even before Debora came in. And if the only thing he's after is the tape, then what's the possible benefit to NOT giving him the tape UNLESS he's just being a spiteful dick... but that's not his line read or delivery at all?

2) Baby's entire motivation to get out of the heist and run away. He has two opportunities to do so cleanly (when Spacey asks him if the heist is on, and later, when he's been exposed). Both times, he instead insists on the heist... only to blow the heist and get a shitload of people killed. Why? I can buy the second time, he's worried he'll be killed, but why the gently caress does he insist on doing the heist the first time, if his plan is to sneak out an hour later?

3) So Baby's whole shtick is that he hangs out in a diner where his mom worked, ordering from the kid's menu, so he can hit on the waitress who looks lot like his mom wearing the same uniform his mom wore? That's... super weird and Oedipal, right? Does the movie know that? Is it *intentionally* weird to show how emotionally stunted he is, but then is the romanticization somehow subversive?

4) Even Joseph goes from "I won't take your dirty money, get out of the criminal lifestyle'" to "Oh sure, this dirty money buys me some pretty sweet digs, woohoo, good luck catching him, cops!"

5) The gender politics were seemingly straight out of the 50s, with the only female characters defined solely by their relationship to the men in their lives, with no agency or character outside of that... but they were also LITERALLY shot in homages from the 50s? So again, deliberate? Commentary? Like, what?

It's just like.... every single character in the movie feels off, all the logic feels off, the whole thing just has this weird askew quality that feels honestly deliberate but I can't figure out the intent. Like, what is the movie's theme? What is it saying? Obviously, it's a fluffy action movie, but even most action movies have a simple theme like "A little guy can beat an army" or "Good triumphs over evil". I have no loving clue what this movie is saying or where its basic moral compass is. What the gently caress IS this movie?

Z. Autobahn fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 3, 2017

• Locked thread