Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I hopped in a queue for PVP when I unlocked t at level 30, but I never got placed into a party. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
I got dumped into Seal Rock last night while trying to get the last Garo set I wanted, and it was actually a ton of fun. DRK is a ton of fun now that their ranged attack pulls enemies like twenty feet towards you. If you've got a couple people following you around, you can just yoink any overzealous samurai you see and watch them instantly turn into mashed potatoes.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
how does one unlock the pvp?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

how does one unlock the pvp?

It's a marked quest near your GC barracks.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Seal Rock is a lot more fun than Fields of Glory imho, because it actually forces people to fight each other if they want to win. But nobody ever queues for it for exactly that reason.

I really hope that they recognize that PVP is actually popular now, and add a lot more frontline battles in SB.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

I really hope that they recognize that PVP is actually popular now, and add a lot more frontline battles in SB.
I imagine we'll get something new, but I hope they keep it to two teams of 24 instead of three. Shatter inevitably turns into the Flames throwing a hissy fit and feeding points to one team.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Ultra pvp-protip: put raid markers on enemy healers. This causes Pubbies to actually realize* that there are healers on the enemy team and kill them, instead of beating on the tank being double healed.

*results not guaranteed

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Fister Roboto posted:

Seal Rock is a lot more fun than Fields of Glory imho, because it actually forces people to fight each other if they want to win. But nobody ever queues for it for exactly that reason.

No, people don't queue for it because it takes twice as long for no additional exp rewards and most people are doing pvp for exp now.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The best part of Shatter is people (bots?) that just path at you over and over never fighting, but some people on their team don't realize that is what's happening and think 'oh man follow the guy that's going in!' and a handful of people will charge in after them and get loving melted.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

I think people just queue for Shatter because it's the fastest. Left to their own devices randos have no problems fighting, they're just terrible at it.

I agree Seal Rock is better but the random spawns can be really weirdly one-sided. I think Secure might actually be my favorite.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
I sometimes wish that there were open PVP zones where you could go farm for high end resources with a suitably equipped party but could also get wrecked if you weren't careful

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

And it will be called "Gank the Gatherer".

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I sometimes wish that there were open PVP zones where you could go farm for high end resources with a suitably equipped party but could also get wrecked if you weren't careful

this sort of thing always sounds cool in theory because you imagine like people guarding their gatherers and stuff but what actually happens is people just wait until the server is asleep to go do it

also, the huge toddlers who play this game would burn it to the ground before pvp was allowed to give useful rewards. they were gonna have one of the minions (i think bullpup) be a pvp reward before some loving idiot started spamming the pvp forums with how he was gonna afk pvp matches until he got top 200. even though he was literally posting about violating the terms of service squenix just decided 'ok pve gets the bullpup' instead of banning the guy.

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 3, 2017

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

The best part of Shatter is people (bots?) that just path at you over and over never fighting, but some people on their team don't realize that is what's happening and think 'oh man follow the guy that's going in!' and a handful of people will charge in after them and get loving melted.

My favorite are the people who want to 1v24 and get pissed when they aren't healed. Sorry brah I aint wasting the time.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's also pretty out of character since iirc the Frontlines are all training exercises for the Grand Companies' soldiers. It seems a lot more openly malicious/sociopathic for the WoL to just start killing random botanists to take their stuff.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Only goons have the wisdom and the clarity to embrace violence for its own sake.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/6kqb7h/tenacity_datadump/

TL;DR: 5% increased healing received, 5% increase damage output, 5% decreased damage taken for 1000 Tenacity.

So it ain't bad, and it sure ain't good... it's just ugly.

I chalk it up to stereotypical Japanese dev conservatism.

So 200 tenacity is 1% damage increase. This compares to det, which gives 1% damage increase per 180 points.

The damage mitigation is a perk but not really needed in this game. So it's not something to seek out, but it's not garbage either. Beats the poo poo out of parry.

It's still funny how the most valuable stat for tanks in terms of scaling seems to be direct hit, the dps stat, and the least valuable is tenacity, the explicitly designed tanking stat. But this is coming from the team that reverted the extremely good 'vit gives damage' change, so we shouldn't be surprised.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

VHGS posted:

We'll see for sure when the big releases hit, but the number floating around for direct hit is like 1% per ~40 points. Crit is about ~108.5. Since tanks get no Direct Hit on gear, we really just want to know roughly at what point the relative dps increase from a point of crit is higher than from your first point of direct hit. With those numbers, this graph shows the comparison.

Adding more crit is always better than adding direct hit if you already have around 2000 crit, with that number dropping the more direct hit you have. If Det is really 180 points per 1% of damage as quoted above, crit passes it forever at ~1400 ~1500 (I forgot to move the y-axis to account for det having a lower base).

I didn't ask for your data, I asked for his data, because he needs to back up his advice instead of making poo poo up. :)

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
The fact that PvP is a small segregated part of this game is one of its best selling points.

HTH

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Philonius posted:

So 200 tenacity is 1% damage increase. This compares to det, which gives 1% damage increase per 180 points.

The damage mitigation is a perk but not really needed in this game. So it's not something to seek out, but it's not garbage either. Beats the poo poo out of parry.

It's still funny how the most valuable stat for tanks in terms of scaling seems to be direct hit, the dps stat, and the least valuable is tenacity, the explicitly designed tanking stat. But this is coming from the team that reverted the extremely good 'vit gives damage' change, so we shouldn't be surprised.

Please look forward to them fixing this by making DH a DPS-only stat.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The Gate posted:

Ultra pvp-protip: put raid markers on enemy healers. This causes Pubbies to actually realize* that there are healers on the enemy team and kill them, instead of beating on the tank being double healed.

*results not guaranteed

The only downside to this is that by the time the game actually allows me to select the marked healer out of the cloud of other characters he's hiding in he's either dead or fled. :arghfist::saddowns:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I regret not focusing enough on my GC rank when I played back in 2.0 days because now I want to do hunts and I'm pretty sure I can't unlock them because I'm still second corporal.

I'm gonna focus on finishing Stormblood MSQ first, but then I guess I'll need to find the fastest way to get GC seals.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Roll greed on everything and just sell it all to the acquisitions dude for seals.

Sell poetics eq too who cares.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Harrow posted:

I regret not focusing enough on my GC rank when I played back in 2.0 days because now I want to do hunts and I'm pretty sure I can't unlock them because I'm still second corporal.

I'm gonna focus on finishing Stormblood MSQ first, but then I guess I'll need to find the fastest way to get GC seals.

You still get normal seal credit for A and S rank hunts regardless of your GC rank. The only thing unlocking hunts with your GC does is let you take daily/weekly hunt bills, which are decent XP but not really the bulk of the seal farming you are likely to want to do.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
I want a naadam front lines that is 8v8v8v8v8v8v8vEct. It will be horrible chaos forever.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Fates also give seals, but yeah, the higher the ilvl of an item, the more seals you get for for turning them in. There's also GC hunts that you've probably ignored and have to complete for certain ranks.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Thundarr posted:

You still get normal seal credit for A and S rank hunts regardless of your GC rank. The only thing unlocking hunts with your GC does is let you take daily/weekly hunt bills, which are decent XP but not really the bulk of the seal farming you are likely to want to do.

Oh, I thought I had to do the unlocking quests to get access to the vendors to spend those seals, like the Clan Centurio vendor. Guess I'll stop ignoring hunt call-outs then!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rainuwastaken posted:

I want to shoot people but Bard's skillset just doesn't interest me in the slightest.

:laugh: I love how this is literally part of the Bard quest line, that everyone looks at Bard and goes "pfft? music?"

You're missing out, they're really fun to play right now and are one of the better designed jobs.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Got RDM unlocked, messed around with it a bit. Am I missing anything here for an out-of-the-box RDM?

(A) Fleche (if available) -> Jolt -> [Verfire|Verthunder] -> Jolt -> [Verstone|Veraero] -> Loop to (A) until black and white mana are both 80+, then:

Corps-a-corps -> Riposte -> Zwerchhau -> Redoublement -> Displacement -> (A)

Adding in Tether and Scatter (maybe replacing a Jolt) if AOE is desirable, and Acceleration if I want a big hit to come around sooner?

It seems like at 52, you could work a different rotation for AOE, where you replace Jolt entirely with Scatter, Fleche with Tether, and Riposte with Moulinet. Might have to skip something to fit it in for b/w mana use.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm torn between "PvP is popular" and "Everyone is just using PvP to level and doesn't care about PvP itself".

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

OB_Juan posted:

Jolt -> [Verfire|Verthunder] -> Jolt -> [Verstone|Veraero]

If you have a verfire/verstone ready proc, you cast that spell instead of jolt, and then use doublecast on your next verthunder/veraero.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

OB_Juan posted:

Got RDM unlocked, messed around with it a bit. Am I missing anything here for an out-of-the-box RDM?

(A) Fleche (if available) -> Jolt -> [Verfire|Verthunder] -> Jolt -> [Verstone|Veraero] -> Loop to (A) until black and white mana are both 80+, then:

Corps-a-corps -> Riposte -> Zwerchhau -> Redoublement -> Displacement -> (A)

Adding in Tether and Scatter (maybe replacing a Jolt) if AOE is desirable, and Acceleration if I want a big hit to come around sooner?

It seems like at 52, you could work a different rotation for AOE, where you replace Jolt entirely with Scatter, Fleche with Tether, and Riposte with Moulinet. Might have to skip something to fit it in for b/w mana use.

Don't dualcast Stone/Fire. Tether deals no damage. Acceleration on cooldown. Don't use single target rapier skills in aoe situations. Please read your tooltips closer, F-, see me after class.

edit: dick around with this https://tylian.github.io/rdm/ for a bit while you're at it. it's not perfectly accurate but if you're getting ~3kish on it you're doing pretty good for yourself!

kojei fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 3, 2017

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Rainuwastaken posted:

I imagine we'll get something new, but I hope they keep it to two teams of 24 instead of three. Shatter inevitably turns into the Flames throwing a hissy fit and feeding points to one team.
While they haven't talked a whole lot about it, the next large-scale PvP addition is apparently going to be a two team affair.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Fister Roboto posted:

Please look forward to them fixing this by making DH a DPS-only stat.

To be honest this is how I thought it was going to work when it was initially announced, that the stat simply didn't do anything if you weren't a DPS job.

That it doesn't work that way already... well, stranger things have happened with this dev team.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

I'm guessing it'll likely be styled as more war games, Alliance vs Garleans.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
So for RDM you want to always use the Dualcast procs for Verthunder/veraero. If you have a stone or fire proc, you cast those then instant cast thunder or aero. If you don't, you cast Jolt then instant cast thunder or aero. You never want to burn dualcast on one of the 2.5s cast time spells on purpose.

AoE at 3 targets is Scatter > thunder/aero > scatter until you reach 100/100 mana. Then you can Enchanted Moulinet down. Cramming in manafication and extra Moulinets as you need.

Edit: at 4+ mobs you just Scatter forever until you hit 100/100, unless there's a big target mixed in.

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 3, 2017

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

VHGS posted:

If you have a verfire/verstone ready proc, you cast that spell instead of jolt, and then use doublecast on your next verthunder/veraero.

kojei posted:

Don't dualcast Stone/Fire. Tether deals no damage. Acceleration on cooldown. Don't use single target rapier skills in aoe situations. Please read your tooltips closer, F-, see me after class.

So, more like:

(open with Acceleration, Fleche, use on cooldown) Jolt -> Verthunder-> [Verfire|Jolt] -> Veraero -> [Verstone|Jolt] -> Loop til B/W are at 80, then

Corps-a-corps -> Riposte -> Zwerchhau -> Redoublement -> Displacement

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Harrow posted:

Vadoc posted:

Fates also give seals, but yeah, the higher the ilvl of an item, the more seals you get for for turning them in. There's also GC hunts that you've probably ignored and have to complete for certain ranks.

If you do PvP and have wolf marks to burn you can grab some of the Heavensward gear and turn that into seals, too. The items are unique so you can't just buy like 10 shields or whatever, but I think the best way to go is buy a belt or ring for every suffix, since those tend to be the cheapest armor items.

I did it with 180 weapons once, I think, and it's about 1000 seals per.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 3, 2017

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

OB_Juan posted:

So, more like:

(open with Acceleration, Fleche, use on cooldown) Jolt -> Verthunder-> [Verfire|Jolt] -> Veraero -> [Verstone|Jolt] -> Loop til B/W are at 80, then

Corps-a-corps -> Riposte -> Zwerchhau -> Redoublement -> Displacement

Yeah that's pretty much it. Once you get manafication you want to use that 1) as soon as possible, 2) as long as your mana counts are both somewhere between 40 and 50, but not the same number. Once you pop manafication, skip the remainder of your casting rotation and go right into a fresh melee cycle.

Use Impact instead of Jolt when it's available.

You won't necessarily always be casting in a strict "black, then white, then black" rotation either. Once you get verholy/verflare you pretty much just play your balance by ear.

Since you probably missed my edit above while posting this, dick around with this https://tylian.github.io/rdm/ for a bit while you're at it. it's not perfectly accurate but if you're getting ~3kish on it you're doing pretty good for yourself!

edit: also, your "Enchanted" melee attacks count as magic damage, so you want to pop Embolden right before E.Zwerchhau, assuming it's not more beneficial for your party comp for you to pop it early for your melee dps party members.

kojei fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Saint Freak posted:

Roll greed on everything and just sell it all to the acquisitions dude for seals.

Sell poetics eq too who cares.

You have to be Sergeant 2nd Class to be able to do this unfortunately. The best way to get seals for ranking up before that is definitely supply missions.