Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Reality Winner posted:

Is government working today or is everyone getting ready to get shirfaced tomorrow

people are working. 2 mondays in one week :suicide:

this indignity would never happen under ed ball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Reality Winner posted:

Is government working today or is everyone getting ready to get shirfaced tomorrow

wiat are we supposed to wait until tomorrow???

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Tesseraction posted:

Great Ormond Street Hospital, the people who are saying 'no' are doing so because the treatment in the US is to reduce the severity of the symptoms for children who are expected to survive. This kid is already brain dead and losing health hourly. As doctors they have a moral obligation to not provide false hope - they have merely stated that the child's case is terminal, they appreciate the feelings of the parents but have stated that the treatment in the US will not help him, and will not allow him to live a day longer.

I mean, they've also said he's going to die at the hospital instead of at home (or on a pointless flight to America) so there are some issues here.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I just realized my wife's mom is Canadian. I think we have our ticket out.

do it before the economy crashes, imo

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Relevant Tangent posted:

I mean, they've also said he's going to die at the hospital instead of at home (or on a pointless flight to America) so there are some issues here.

I think they also said they want to disconnect life support though they walked it back a little. I don't see the harm in letting the parents try.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

like the expansion or all of it

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Relevant Tangent posted:

Story in the link said he had. Kids still dead, it's just a question of how long and how much it'll cost. The UK has death panels though, so.

Which story? Neither the USA Today article linked earlier, nor the CNN article mentioned, seem to say one way or the other, that I could see.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

the NHS took my baby away
they took him away, away from me-e

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

galenanorth posted:

"My friends cat Leo just wanted to go for a ride!"
my cat lookw just like this

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

thrawn527 posted:

Which story? Neither the USA Today article linked earlier, nor the CNN article mentioned, seem to say one way or the other, that I could see.

The best article (as usual) I've read on it is the NYTimes.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/GOPChairwoman/status/881935836786315264

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Squizzle posted:

radical meme

tbf God does wants the boy for His purposes HMG is just acting appropriately

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Litterbugs imo

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Vladimir Putin posted:

Why don't they let the parents decide? They have the money and can pay for it. What's the harm? Presumably the doctors have already expressed their opinion to the parents.

Because it's an expensive operation that will not improve the child's quality of life. His lungs have failed, his liver, kidney and heart have all rotted beyond feasibility and the doctor who they want to take him to be treated by has already said his operation won't have any effect on the destruction of the child's brain. The doctors have stated this, every consultant they've spoken to has said this. The law states that if the doctors say one thing and the parents refuse, it is the duty of the state to determine what is in the best interests of the child, not of the parents. The child is living in constant agony and the High Court see no benefit to anyone in parading a corpse across the ocean to perform a surgery that won't do anything.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Shouldn't America be great again by now?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Mitt must be proud.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Inspirobot has good news for /pol/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Vladimir Putin posted:

I think they also said they want to disconnect life support though they walked it back a little. I don't see the harm in letting the parents try.

The kid is already dead

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

bad....dog??

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Tesseraction posted:

Because it's an expensive operation that will not improve the child's quality of life. His lungs have failed, his liver, kidney and heart have all rotted beyond feasibility and the doctor who they want to take him to be treated by has already said his operation won't have any effect on the destruction of the child's brain. The doctors have stated this, every consultant they've spoken to has said this. The law states that if the doctors say one thing and the parents refuse, it is the duty of the state to determine what is in the best interests of the child, not of the parents. The child is living in constant agony and the High Court see no benefit to anyone in parading a corpse across the ocean to perform a surgery that won't do anything.

But imagine all the value add to the US Healthcare economy? -VP presumably

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Vladimir Putin posted:

The harm is that their betters have made a decision and who are they to question? Citizens vs subjects.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

remember when they said the left's love for Obama was like a cult?

I don't because I can't remember anything from before the Escalator.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Thom and the Heads posted:

The kid is already dead

If he's dead and the parents pay then just let them try. I can't tell but it doesn't look like they are religious looneys or anything or want to make a political point. They just seem like two parents who live their kid. What's the harm here?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Vladimir Putin posted:

The best article (as usual) I've read on it is the NYTimes.

Do you have a link? Because this article, posted 30 minutes ago doesn't say whether he's been accepted into anything either. Just that the parents have raised money for the treatment. But not if anyone in the US has agreed to treat him.

I'm not trying to post a "gotcha", I actually want to know if anyone has even accepted this kid.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Tesseraction posted:

hey there this is AMERICA buddy! we can rebuild him!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoLs0V8T5AA

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

free market b*tch

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Relevant Tangent posted:

The harm is that their betters have made a decision and who are they to question? Citizens vs subjects.

The idea that parents know better than doctors is the reason we are having outbreaks of measles because poo poo idiot parents won't vaccinate their children

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Jazerus posted:

bad....dog??

No bad dogs, only bad owners.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

A NEW ERA IN AMERICAN ENERGY DOMINANCE

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

he's in a middle of a thread

https://twitter.com/ASlavitt/status/881957719594463233
https://twitter.com/ASlavitt/status/881958865855807488
https://twitter.com/ASlavitt/status/881959817736314881
https://twitter.com/ASlavitt/status/881960894355451906

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I believe very strongly in the rights of the parents to take their brain-dead meat puppet to whatever doctor they want

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Venom Snake posted:

The idea that parents know better than doctors is the reason we are having outbreaks of measles because poo poo idiot parents won't vaccinate their children

Excuse me, parenting free range is accepted by many home schooling communities.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Vladimir Putin posted:

If he's dead and the parents pay then just let them try. I can't tell but it doesn't look like they are religious looneys or anything or want to make a political point. They just seem like two parents who live their kid. What's the harm here?

quote:

The European court ruled that the British courts had taken under consideration the views of Charlie’s parents and of medical experts, and had concluded that “it was most likely Charlie was being exposed to continued pain, suffering and distress, and that undergoing experimental treatment with no prospects of success would offer no benefit, and continue to cause him significant harm.”

i mean sure by all means spend millions of morons money to play badminton with a suffering mostly dead baby for a few more weeks - *extremely financierishly voice*

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

Do you have a link? Because this article, posted 30 minutes ago doesn't say whether he's been accepted into anything either. Just that the parents have raised money for the treatment. But not if anyone in the US has agreed to treat him.

I'm not trying to post a "gotcha", I actually want to know if anyone has even accepted this kid.

The hospital who are currently keeping him alive have an FAQ on the subject: http://www.gosh.nhs.uk/frequently-asked-questions-about-charlie-gard-court-case

Key notes:

quote:

What is his condition?
Charlie’s condition is exceptionally rare. He suffers from an inherited mitochondrial disease called infantile onset encephalomyopathic mitochondrial DNA depletion syndrome, referred to generally as “MDDS”. Charlie suffers specifically from the RRM2B mutation of MDDS.

Charlie’s brain, muscle and ability to breathe are all severely affected. In addition, Charlie has congenital deafness and a severe epilepsy disorder. Charlie's heart, liver and kidneys are also affected.

Charlie has severe progressive muscle weakness and cannot move his arms or legs or breathe unaided.

Charlie's eyelids cannot stay open and his eyes point in different directions because of muscular weakness. Charlie’s retina would struggle to develop and his brainwaves suggest that he is not going to be able to lay down normal visual patterns that should be learned at an early age. Eyesight is not something you’re born with, it develops over time.

Why is there no treatment available at GOSH?
There is no cure for Charlie’s condition which is terminal. GOSH explored various treatment options, including nucleoside therapy, the experimental treatment that one hospital in the US has agreed to offer now that the parents have the funds to cover the cost of such treatment. GOSH concluded that the experimental treatment, which is not designed to be curative, would not improve Charlie’s quality of life.

How did GOSH come to this decision about his treatment?
GOSH’s clinicians had to balance whether this experimental treatment was in his best interests or not.

One of the factors that influenced this decision was that Charlie’s brain was shown to be extensively damaged at a cellular level. The clinician in the US who is offering the treatment agrees that the experimental treatment will not reverse the brain damage that has already occurred.

The entire highly experienced UK team, all those who provided second opinions and the consultant instructed by the parents all agreed that further treatment would be futile – meaning it would be pointless or of no effective benefit.

Note the underlined.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Dr Cheeto posted:

I believe very strongly in the rights of the parents to take their brain-dead meat puppet to whatever doctor they want

I actually do. But as much as I hate the whole "it's a distraction! Don't pay attention to the pee babby predisent's dementia addled rants" shtick, this is 100% a distraction for real. Donny doesn't care about anything except money and Ivanka's vagina.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Tesseraction posted:

The hospital who are currently keeping him alive have an FAQ on the subject: http://www.gosh.nhs.uk/frequently-asked-questions-about-charlie-gard-court-case

Key notes:

Note the underlined.

Ok, so someone is offering to accept him, while also saying that it won't help. Thanks.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

Ok, so someone is offering to accept him, while also saying that it won't help. Thanks.

As the Hypodermic Oath says, "First, hand over the Benjamins."

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

thrawn527 posted:

I guess they are doing for the money? Yeah that kind of seems weird. Like if the U.K. team made their decision based on ethics and the US team also did the same then WTF.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Venom Snake posted:

listen pal I played Oregon Trail and those were real free men upon the land unlike you LIEberal pansies and *dies of dysentery*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
uk baby cola

now mitochondria free

• Locked thread