Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

unseenlibrarian posted:

In at the 3 PDF level for Expanded Fragging, though hopefully I'll have the option to upgrade in the backerkit later, as the books are really pretty. Just not the funds available before the kickstarter ends.
Yes, Wade's confirmed BackerKit, so you can add on the dice or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Send an email telling them that you won't support their KS because of exclusives like that.

Also, Deception was a worse experience than Mysterium for my group, since a lot of the questions are just useless, so it's sort of a crapshoot of you having a really easy time vs a really hard time. "What day of the week did the crime happen" is such an infinitely more useless question than even something like "What room did the crime happen in"

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Aww man, I'm a sucker for KS-only add-ons like someone else posted above. It bothers me on some level that my game will never be 'complete'.

Yeah. I missed the Kickstarter for the base game, so I'm super happy my copy can now be "complete".

GrandpaPants posted:

Send an email telling them that you won't support their KS because of exclusives like that.

Kickstarter exclusives aren't going anywhere. The number of people who refuse to back because of them is a fraction of the number of people who specifically back because of them.

GrandpaPants posted:

Also, Deception was a worse experience than Mysterium for my group, since a lot of the questions are just useless, so it's sort of a crapshoot of you having a really easy time vs a really hard time. "What day of the week did the crime happen" is such an infinitely more useless question than even something like "What room did the crime happen in"

And that's a fine opinion to have. My group considers the variable usefulness of the cards to be a feature, not a bug. It means you have to lend more credence to earlier clues, especially if they give one of the random clues before the location or cause of death, as those are by default the strongest.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

I know there's been a million versions of these, but this looks like a nice version of a modular tile system.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sagaworldbuilder/saga-world-builder-modular-tiles-for-your-tabletop/description

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

rydiafan posted:

Kickstarter exclusives aren't going anywhere. The number of people who refuse to back because of them is a fraction of the number of people who specifically back because of them.

And yet, the number of people who refuse to back is essentially unknown...because they don't back.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

homullus posted:

And yet, the number of people who refuse to back is essentially unknown...because they don't back.

Yeah, short of surveying every Kickstarter user and every person in a game's demo bracket (they might sign up!), it's impossible to say how many people aren't backing because of exclusives. Conventional wisdom says not having exclusives is leaving money on the table... but conventional wisdom isn't always right.

Edit: By surveying I don't mean literally ask everyone, appropriately sized representative samples would work for an usable estimate.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Kaza42 posted:

Isn't it just the perfect fit that the one topic they have that could lead to interesting discussion is worded in such a way to be as dickish as possible. Sure, a Flat Tax is almost certainly a bad idea, but it's a bad idea for non-obvious reasons so you can have an interesting debate over whether or not it would work and what alternatives would function better if one were to reform the tax code. But no, it's clearly just so that they can make fun of poor people.

The thing that gets me about those flat taxes is that aside from people too poor to pay much of any tax, America already effectively has a flat tax once you look at all the deductions and exceptions for the rich. You have middle earners paying around 15%, higher earners stretching up to about 20% tops, then back down to 15% for the highest earners. It's not perfectly flat, but it is pretty flat.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

How does Deception play with lower player counts? I've been looking at it for a while but might not bite the bullet if it doesn't play great at 5/6 players.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

It plays fine with 5/6. Above 6 there are additional social roles you add, Avalon/Werewolf style, but at 5/6 it's more pure.

I'm not sure what minimum the box claims, but I wouldn't play with 4. That's one clue giver so 3 guessers, which means each innocent person has a 50% chance of just randomly guessing who the killer is.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

JackMann posted:

"America would be better off if the South had won the Civil War."

This one is actually true because we could govern ourselves progressively without catering to (and subsidizing) what's essentially a second-world theocracy.

E: Life in the southern Nation-states would suck rear end unless you were fortunate enough to live in one that was captured by Spain, Mexico, or overthrown by slaves. But the question was about "life in America if the South had won," allowing them to gently caress right off, divide themselves, and get beaten by other powers than America.

moths fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 3, 2017

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

moths posted:

This one is actually true because we could govern ourselves progressively without catering to (and subsidizing) what's essentially a second-world theocracy.

I want you to stop and think about some downsides with this idea of yours and how stupid it sounds.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

let's rehash the civil war in the TG kickstarter thread

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Leperflesh posted:

I can already envision it. Trump leading the progressive southern theocracy and the liberal SJW northern states on the other side. Ripe for Kickstarter to be kicked, right? What do you think, should we get CMON on board? Maybe get some artist in here so we can also bake it the greatest, biggest, most unworkable boardgame of all time?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mr.Misfit posted:

I can already envision it. Trump leading the progressive southern theocracy and the liberal SJW northern states on the other side. Ripe for Kickstarter to be kicked, right? What do you think, should we get CMON on board? Maybe get some artist in here so we can also bake it the greatest, biggest, most unworkable boardgame of all time?

Imagine four slave states at the edge of a border wall

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Leperflesh posted:

Someone ought to do something about those Roundheads before they go too far, bloody puritans

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Look forward to my upcoming Kickstarter: "Putney Debates: The RPG"

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I'd play the poo poo out of something that let me play a violent Leveler, no foolin'.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Evil Mastermind posted:

In the realm of kickstarters that aren't by terrible people, Fragged Empire: Expanded has just over 48 hours left and has hit most of its stretch goals. US$22 gets you the core PDF and two of the expansions, $34 gets you the core and all three:
  • Soulsbourne, complete with respawning after TKPs, in an infinite gothic city
  • A fanstasy world with settlement management, that takes place centuries after Fragged Empire
  • Pirates v. Cthuuhlu

You probably should be getting commission for how hard you have been selling this game. You sold me on it with your F&F review.

Pretty sure it will be too much crunch for me, but Fragged Empires has a rad setting. So I'm down for the fantasy setting.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, I decided to go for the books over just PDFs, too. Fragged Empires is a really clever game and will probably end up being the next thing I run, if that ever happens. The new settings and ideas will almost certainly be equally interesting.

EM's sold me on a bunch of games. An absolute menace of good taste in games.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Demon_Corsair posted:

You probably should be getting commission for how hard you have been selling this game. You sold me on it with your F&F review.

Echophonic posted:

Aw, now y'all are just making me blush. :shobon:

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Echophonic posted:

Yeah, I decided to go for the books over just PDFs, too. Fragged Empires is a really clever game and will probably end up being the next thing I run, if that ever happens. The new settings and ideas will almost certainly be equally interesting.

$80 for a book was too pricey for me.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Aw, now y'all are just making me blush. :shobon:

How about running a game of it? :v:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Demon_Corsair posted:

$80 for a book was too pricey for me.
Isn't it $80 in play money?

e: Comes to $61 usd

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 4, 2017

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah all prices on the KS are in dollarydoos not US currency.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, it's like 40 USD per book if you get all three, before shipping. Considering how much Fragged Empires costs to get a hardcopy of, that's downright reasonable.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
It's reasonable, it's just still more than I can afford so we'll see how things look come Backerkit season.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Demon_Corsair posted:

How about running a game of it? :v:
I'm actually running a game for my IRL group. We're only like two sessions in, though.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'll probably run a game in Kingdom or Aeturnum once they deliver. I might do Empire, but I'm waiting for the core book because I couldn't pass up that KS discount. I've got no interest in Seas though, I'm tired of plus Cthulhuoid settings.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

Isn't it $80 in play money?

e: Comes to $61 usd

I use a different shade of play money, so its pretty much an even exchange for me.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

occamsnailfile posted:

It's reasonable, it's just still more than I can afford so we'll see how things look come Backerkit season.
Yeah I get you.

I'm just in for pdfs now, myself. Strongly considering the corebook though.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Mr.Misfit posted:

Trump leading the progressive southern theocracy and the liberal SJW northern states on the other side.

Written by Chris Fields.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Slimnoid posted:

Written by Chris Fields.

Or, you know, Harry Turtledove.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
I don't know if anyone else has been following this project, but the failed Kickstarted RPG Gatekeepers has started its crowd sale on The Game Crafter for the physical box set, including dice, tokens and cards. The rulebook PDF is free to download from the page and it looks to be an insanely gonzo fantasy game with a good light ruleset based around cards, tokens and minimal dice-work. Right now it's pretty pricey due to the indie nature of the site, but due to the crowdsale system it'll go down to about $36 if 100 people put down an order.

You're on a planet orbiting a gas giant, and one of the playable races is a sentient clonal colony of vines. You can be a preying mantis magician who made a bargain at death's door to become a giant mantis / horse hybrid. Orcs are amphibious egg-laying mammals. Giant monster fights specifically have rules for Shadow of the Colossus monster-climbing to reach the weak point. It's insane.

The only downside is The Game Crafter doesn't print rulebooks, so that's having to go through DriveThruRPG as a separate product, but they're releasing the rulebook for free as well as releasing the resources for print-on-demand services.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Zeerust posted:

I don't know if anyone else has been following this project, but the failed Kickstarted RPG Gatekeepers

quote:

Want to cast spells in plate armor? You got it.

Oy.

e: reading the rest of the KS page, yeah the other character examples are cool and good, but when a game leads off with "you can cast spells while wearing armor!" like my bowtie is supposed to start spinning at the idea...well, it's a bit of a red flag.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 4, 2017

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
I agree it's a really weird thing to focus on in a game where you can play a cursed elf/ferret hybrid who teleports and fights by making people's blood explode. There's a link to a review on the Gamecrafter page for a hands-on impression of the ruleset.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oy.

e: reading the rest of the KS page, yeah the other character examples are cool and good, but when a game leads off with "you can cast spells while wearing armor!" like my bowtie is supposed to start spinning at the idea...well, it's a bit of a red flag.

Say it with me, folks: Heartbreakers are here again! Praise 5e!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Oh fyi, my Planet Mercenary arrived, already read through the defaced maxims book (main reason I backed in the first place) and am leafing through the actual source book. Honestly I'd love to play it, just doubt I know enough people who'd want to play with me nearby. Maybe I could run one online...

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm reading the rules for that Gatekeeper game.

It's a bold choice to write your "roll on this table" tables to put the text in the first column and the number rolled in the second column, instead of the other way around like every other die rolling table in existence.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Hoo boy it was only a couple of hours left so I reread Evil Mastermind's F&F and then went in on the entire PDF collection for Fragged Empires and the new books. I'd love to get physical copies because I hear their books are gorgeous but my finances genuinely cannot take it right now.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Doodmons posted:

Hoo boy it was only a couple of hours left so I reread Evil Mastermind's F&F and then went in on the entire PDF collection for Fragged Empires and the new books. I'd love to get physical copies because I hear their books are gorgeous but my finances genuinely cannot take it right now.

Hopefully they'll launch Backerkit after you've built up some more discretionary income because man those books look pretty. I'll probably upgrade my pledge to a physical core during the post campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Yeah, he confirmed backerkit, and the last time I grabbed all the pdfs with it. And how else you gonna get some neat dice?