Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

paragon1 posted:

Did I seriously just read multiple people stating the Republicans and Democrats are the same? Did I fall through a time warp to 1995 without realizing?

Not the same. They just both don't pass over minimum standards of tolerable suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Not the same. They just both don't pass over minimum standards of tolerable suck.

And Gary Johnson, failed Republican, somehow does?

That's hilarious

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

paragon1 posted:

And Gary Johnson, failed Republican, somehow does?

That's hilarious

No, he also sucks. Everyone sucked but Bernie this time around.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Who are you referring to because I'm not a parachute homie

That's exactly what Avshalom's parachute would say. :smug:

Except with more highly improbable genitalia-related poetry

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
They banned Ashvalom?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Lol, you voted for a man who holds beliefs that are the antithesis of Bernie's because you were salty about Bernie. That's beautiful.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Crowsbeak posted:

They banned Ashvalom?

She said she was going to absorb the president with her vagina. The mods believed this to be a real and credible threat that could actually happen in real life, so she got perma'd.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

GreyjoyBastard posted:

That's exactly what Avshalom's parachute would say. :smug:

Except with more highly improbable genitalia-related poetry

Man buying an account ten years back as a parachute would be a hella sweet move

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

paragon1 posted:

Lol, you voted for a man who holds beliefs that are the antithesis of Bernie's because you were salty about Bernie. That's beautiful.

Nope. Voted for libertarians multiple times before. They share many of my values, especially on foreign policy and ending the drug war. I've been over all of this like 100 times already so you can scroll up instead of saying the same poo poo over again if you want. I like Bernie because he is better than libertarians on things I agree with them on and he agrees with me where I disagree with them. I can't really say that for establishment dems.

FuriousxGeorge fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 3, 2017

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

paragon1 posted:

Did I seriously just read multiple people stating the Republicans and Democrats are the same? Did I fall through a time warp to 1995 without realizing?

Ironically enough, in 94-96...

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Nope. Voted for libertarians multiple times before. They share many of my values, especially on foreign policy and ending the drug war. I've been over all of this like 100 times already so you can scroll up instead of saying the same poo poo over again if you want.

So this isn't sudden onset retardation

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

So this isn't sudden onset retardation

Nah, you've been like that for a while.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

paragon1 posted:

Some of them are arguing the democrats are worse, to be fair.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Nope. Voted for libertarians multiple times before. They share many of my values, especially on foreign policy and ending the drug war.

Lol, those are the only two positions a sane person should agree with them on, and even then what they want and what a sane person would want are two completely different things, since libertarians also oppose regulating the drug trade in any matter and want to replace the military with private defense forces or some poo poo.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Jizz Festival posted:

Lol, those are the only two positions a sane person should agree with them on, and even then what they want and what a sane person would want are two completely different things, since libertarians also oppose regulating the drug trade in any matter and want to replace the military with private defense forces or some poo poo.

Those were not policies Gary Johnson ran on. If we assume candidates are going to do the most extreme version of what their party wants we could have all happily voted for Hillary and gotten single payer.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Libertarians care about the drug war in the same way that Republicans care about small government and state's rights.

JeffersonClay posted:

Lol, of course.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Those were not policies Gary Johnson ran on. If we assume candidates are going to do the most extreme version of what their party wants we could have all happily voted for Hillary and gotten single payer.

If you think he ran on good coherent policies other than "legalize weed" I'd love to hear about them.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I'd particularly love to hear his plan to end all those deaths of Mexicans that you seem so concerned about as soon as someone accuses you of being a selfish idiot.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Jizz Festival posted:

If you think he ran on good coherent policies other than "legalize weed" I'd love to hear about them.

He also ran on knowing nothing about any other nation, which FuriousxGeorge said was his other major point of agreement.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Jizz Festival posted:

I'd particularly love to hear his plan to end all those deaths of Mexicans that you seem so concerned about as soon as someone accuses you of being a selfish idiot.

The Mexican drug war is driven by American demand for illegal drugs. When you allow legal distribution instead of a black market you have a market you can tax that is regulated by government and police instead of by organized crime. This will reduce the amount of violence associated with the drug trade.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

FuriousxGeorge posted:

fact check: Bernie sucked too

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

FuriousxGeorge posted:

The Mexican drug war is driven by American demand for illegal drugs. When you allow legal distribution instead of a black market you have a market you can tax that is regulated by government and police instead of by organized crime. This will reduce the amount of violence associated with the drug trade.

Gary Johnson was only explicitly for legalizing weed, his views on "hard" drugs were much hazier, involving "harm reduction" and prescriptions and stuff. Like I'd say that's a step in the right direction but he had no coherent plan for actually ending the drug war.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

paragon1 posted:

https://twitter.com/Hadas_Gold/status/881551179259539456

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Jizz Festival posted:

Gary Johnson was only explicitly for legalizing weed, his views on "hard" drugs were much hazier, involving "harm reduction" and prescriptions and stuff. Like I'd say that's a step in the right direction but he had no coherent plan for actually ending the drug war.

Well yeah, like I was saying, he was attempting to run as a moderate libertarian. This is one of those areas where I would have preferred a more extreme position. However, marijuana is a major cash crop for the cartels in Mexico. You can hit them pretty hard just with pot legalization. The hope is people see that legal pot isn't the end of the world and maybe change their attitudes about how best to handle the harder drugs. Pragmatic incrementalism, yay! Another hope is that people just use pot and stay off the harder drugs which could limit the demand for opiates as an alternative source of profit for the cartels.

quote:

The researchers, led by Marcus Bachhuber, then at the Philadelphia Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Pennsylvania, examined death certificates in all 50 states between 1999 and 2010. They found that the annual rate of deaths due to overdose on an opioid painkiller was nearly 25% lower in states that permitted medical marijuana. In 2010, that translated into 1729 fewer deaths in those states. The researchers also found that the effect grew stronger in the 5 to 6 years after the states approved medical marijuana.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/11/could-pot-help-solve-us-opioid-epidemic

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

aren't libertarians just into letting the states themselves decide whether to legalize or not
so theoretically a death sentence for a bit of weed would be fine as long as it's state law and not federal

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Barbe Rouge posted:

aren't libertarians just into letting the states themselves decide whether to legalize or not
so theoretically a death sentence for a bit of weed would be fine as long as it's state law and not federal

State and local governments should be able to determine that. Just like we let them regulate or even prohibit alcohol sales. The federal anti-pot laws still need to be repealed though, or nothing the states do matters if someone like Jeff Sessions has his way.

e: Not death penalty I mean, lol. That should be banned for any crime because it's cruel and unusual punishment regardless of method of execution.

FuriousxGeorge fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 3, 2017

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

JeffersonClay posted:

To be fair at least Republicans can win elections

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Barbe Rouge posted:

Also states are already doing this for themselves

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Soiled Meat

FuriousxGeorge posted:

State and local governments should be able to determine that. Just like we let them regulate or even prohibit alcohol sales. The federal anti-pot laws still need to be repealed though, or nothing the states do matters if someone like Jeff Sessions has his way.

This is a dead giveaway that all the moral posturing is a screen, you only give a poo poo about being able to buy pot for yourself, and don't give a poo poo about all that stuff about freedom for all and saving lives abroad etc.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Soiled Meat
Once again, potheads and their willingness to sacrifice everything and everybody in exchange for something as petty as an easier access to their vice are the worst.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

This is a dead giveaway that all the moral posturing is a screen, you only give a poo poo about being able to buy pot for yourself, and don't give a poo poo about all that stuff about freedom for all and saving lives abroad etc.

haha, what? "Treat pot the way we treat alcohol." is an unserious position on the issue? By that standard like every pro-pot lobbying group in the country is unserious.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

NewForumSoftware posted:

To be fair at least Republicans can win elections

I'm worried that the Democrats will become complacent with Republican leadership since their corporate overlords are happy and they can just go "OH I'M SO CONCERNED WITH THOSE EVIL REPUBLICANS" and do absolutely nothing to help

That's why the progressive movement is needed now - get the incumbent Dems scared that they'll lose their seats to people who will actually get poo poo done

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Soiled Meat

FuriousxGeorge posted:

haha, what? "Treat pot the way we treat alcohol." is an unserious position on the issue? By that standard like every pro-pot lobbying group in the country is unserious.

A states rights approach to this poo poo isn't going to do anything to help any of those human concerns you have trumped up itt, it's a privileged position that transparently only serves white constituencies.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

A states rights approach to this poo poo isn't going to do anything to help any of those human concerns you have trumped up itt, it's a privileged position that transparently only serves white constituencies.

So how was it exactly that ending prohibition of alcohol stopped so much violence associated with selling alcohol when it was done using an approach that respected state and local rights? I mean, is Atlantic City's biggest crime problem still bootlegged alcohol because Ocean City, NJ is dry?

FuriousxGeorge fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 3, 2017

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Just want to quote this because it's the same argument I've been making against third way/new democrats.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Is this supposed to mean something, or are you just having some kind of weird fit?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

paragon1 posted:

Is this supposed to mean something, or are you just having some kind of weird fit?

The Senate minority leader is partying with the enemy

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

JeffersonClay posted:

Lead by the likes of you? Yes.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

EugeneJ posted:

have you considered he might also be the enemy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

EugeneJ posted:

sometimes they play softball together too.

• Locked thread