Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rhyno posted:

I LOST THE KEYS TO THE PT

... and the bad news is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

... and the bad news is?

Can't sell it without keys!

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Rhyno posted:

Can't sell it without keys!

RAN WHEN PARKED BUT WILL NEED TRAILER TO REMOVE

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

freelop posted:

RAN WHEN PARKED BUT WILL NEED TRAILER TO REMOVE

DOOR KEY MISSING, ROCK SUPPLIED FREE OF CHARGE

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Just stick a few packs of multicolor post-its on it and sell it as a pinata.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I'm trying to build up a comprehensive toolbox that I can keep in the back of my Landrover or chuck in the car for long roadtrips.

Its a landrover so the list of possible repairs that I want to be able to deal with is quite big and some stuff is fairly heavy duty!

Has anybody else done this and been organised enough to have made a list of what you put into it?

This is what I've got so far:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
4 more of anything 10mm

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The opening of The Circle is Emma Watson in a broken-down Geo Metro.

Now I know one of you has that as a fetish.

Tomarse posted:

I'm trying to build up a comprehensive toolbox that I can keep in the back of my Landrover or chuck in the car for long roadtrips.

Its a landrover so the list of possible repairs that I want to be able to deal with is quite big and some stuff is fairly heavy duty!

Has anybody else done this and been organised enough to have made a list of what you put into it?

- Jump leads!
- Stanley locking adjustable instead of just a generic one
- BSW/BSF sockets if you'll be messing with any of the bits requiring them
- I see little additional value to the 3/8" drive kit if you have the 1/4" and 1/2" in there. That's a "nice to have" for me.
- Batteries for your torch
- Breaker bar
- Don't buy those circlip pliers with interchangeable heads. Buy a set of cheap one-piece ones
- A jack that won't kill you. Well, not easily.
- A reasonable length of thick (say 12mm) blue poly rope
- Fast setting JB Weld or Araldite or similar
- Another, smaller, vehicle to go and get help

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I see tools to repair brake lines, and brake lines, but no replacement fluid. Might as well add a quart of oil and either a jug of coolant or something to fill with water.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Adiabatic posted:

4 more of anything 10mm

One thing motorcycles has taught me: you can never have enough 10mm anything.

Also, If you can find a 3/8" drive 10mm socket. Buy it. My Snap-on set has done things I'd never ask of my Craftsman again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Also, If you can find a 3/8" drive 10mm socket. Buy it. My Snap-on set has done things I'd never ask of my Craftsman again.

I horde 10mms like their extinct. I have probably 25 or more in various depth and drive.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Tomarse posted:

Zip ties
Electrical tape
Duct tape
Wire coathanger (rehanging the exhaust)
AA member card (both definitions
Cigarette lighter
Candles
Chocolate/Kendal Mint Cake
Condoms
... Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.

InitialDave posted:

- I see little additional value to the 3/8" drive kit if you have the 1/4" and 1/2" in there. That's a "nice to have" for me.
Likewise: 2 hammers and 3 sets of grips seems a bit excessive.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

spog posted:

Zip ties
Electrical tape
Duct tape

Hi, my name is Landrover/ACVW/Opel Owner, and I'm an alcoholic.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Hi, my name is Landrover/ACVW/Opel Owner, and I'm an alcoholic.
I can stop whenever I want to. Single circuit drum brakes not withstanding.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Thanks for the suggestions!.

I've built this so far using my duplicate/spare/older/crappier tools.. Which is why there is a 3/8 set of sockets in there that starts at 11mm...

I'm only planning on using this in anger or emergencies, not as an everyday set.

QuarkMartial posted:

I see tools to repair brake lines, and brake lines, but no replacement fluid. Might as well add a quart of oil and either a jug of coolant or something to fill with water.
They are in there because i have a spare brake flaring kit and I went out in the Landy about 2 weeks ago and a brake line split as I stopped at the end of my road so I figured carrying them will stop it happening again! I have fluids in the car already.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I've lost my decent (Halfords Pro) 3/8 and 1/4 10mm sockets. The price of re-buying quality make ones is quite upsetting. I've got lovely chinesium ones in my main box at the moment.

InitialDave posted:

- Jump leads!
- Stanley locking adjustable instead of just a generic one
- BSW/BSF sockets if you'll be messing with any of the bits requiring them
- Batteries for your torch
- Breaker bar
- Don't buy those circlip pliers with interchangeable heads. Buy a set of cheap one-piece ones
- A jack that won't kill you. Well, not easily.
- A reasonable length of thick (say 12mm) blue poly rope
- Fast setting JB Weld or Araldite or similar
- Another, smaller, vehicle to go and get help

Cheers, I hadn't listed some stuff as it isn't in the toolbox but already with the car. I've added some more of this to my list.

I've got a set of spare 1/2" BSF sockets. have added them. I only ever use a couple of them (9/16 and 3/4 for Saab suspension), but i'll have the whole set just in case. I only need a 1/4 Whitworth spanner for the LR handbrake drum.

I do actually have one of the interchangeable circlip pliers sets in this box - but only because I've had it in my main toolbox until recently building a set of proper one piece ones for my proper toolbox, and they are loving annoying to use but do work!

Is there a reason for the blue poly rope over a flat tow strap and ratchet straps? (I have both of these in both landies already!)

spog posted:

Zip ties
Electrical tape
Duct tape
Cigarette lighter
Candles
Chocolate/Kendal Mint Cake
Condoms
... Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.

I've already got a first aid kit in each of my cars, and because I'm a good scout there's some johnnies in them too.

I had considered my electrical cable for exhaust hanging too - but a chopped up coathanger is probably more sensible.

quote:

Likewise: 2 hammers and 3 sets of grips seems a bit excessive.
This is designed for landrover use!.. getting a brake drum off is frequently a 2 hammer job (lever it with the normal hammer while beating it with the lump hammer) - especially if something in there is hosed and i'm on the side of the road in the rain.

updated:

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Doggo!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Baby Driver is a loving amazing movie with an even better soundtrack.

Edit: Which I can also say is responsible for introducing me to the fact that the giant interlude in the middle of the live version of Stacked Actors is not just whatever random poo poo came into Dave Grohl's head, but is actually a cover.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 3, 2017

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Well'p. There's a pre-owned 2014 BRZ with only 31,000 miles on it at a local-ish dealer for $16,500 (USD -- local is $22,000 CAD).

Guess I'm going to go look at a new car.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Tomarse posted:

Got that massive socket/bent bit of Britpart pipe used for breaking off the nut on the end of the axle for replacing bearings/adjusting preload?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

Is there a reason for the blue poly rope over a flat tow strap and ratchet straps? (I have both of these in both landies already!)
You can use it to do a lot more stuff, basically, plus there's no guilt over cutting it to suit what you need to deal with. And everyone knows it has infinite tensile strength (Actually a little over a ton and a half for 12mm).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Also, happy freedom day, you ungrateful colonial bastards (Well, it's the 4th here. Feel free to wrestle with your conscience about accepting proper British timekeeping vs sacrificing the opportunity for an early start on shooting fireworks at drunk bald eagles or whatever poo poo you get up to).

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Joke's on you, we get to play "gunshot or fireworks" for the next week

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Gunshot or fireworks started two weeks ago

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

InitialDave posted:

Also, happy freedom day, you ungrateful colonial bastards (Well, it's the 4th here. Feel free to wrestle with your conscience about accepting proper British timekeeping vs sacrificing the opportunity for an early start on shooting fireworks at drunk bald eagles or whatever poo poo you get up to).

If 'proper British timekeeping' means not changing your clock an hour back or forwards a couple of times per year, we already have that. You just have to live here in hell Phoenix. Well, most anywhere in the state actually, except the Navajo reservation because they felt the need to be different (and by different I mean just like most of the rest of the country).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Door Frame posted:

Joke's on you, we get to play "gunshot or fireworks" for the next week
Pretty certain an M203 or similar would allow you to put those hands together.

The Locator posted:

If 'proper British timekeeping' means not changing your clock an hour back or forwards a couple of times per year, we already have that. You just have to live here in hell Phoenix. Well, most anywhere in the state actually, except the Navajo reservation because they felt the need to be different (and by different I mean just like most of the rest of the country).
No, it means changing them at the proper time, like a civilised person.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

gently caress YES ITS CHERRY PICKIN SEASON

5lbs of sweet, 5lbs of sour.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

It's AI. Every season is cherry pickin' season.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

beep-beep car is go posted:

gently caress YES ITS CHERRY PICKIN SEASON

5lbs of sweet, 5lbs of sour.
I'm jealous. Cherries are my favorite anything ever.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i got some rainier cherries today and they are my favorite type

i've never seen all yellow ones though

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

BraveUlysses posted:

i've never seen all yellow ones though

Probably because they bruise if you look at them. I "had" to eat them all tonight before they got worse.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

InitialDave posted:

No, it means changing them at the proper time, like a civilised person.

A civilised person isn't stupid enough to think that the time changes just because I do something dumb with my clock twice per year, so doesn't bother.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Has anyone in the US ever donated parts somewhere for a tax writeoff? I have some nice Subaru springs that I barely used and a Miata AC compressor I never used. Not getting any bites on craigslist/fb/etc.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
ebay

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

blk posted:

Has anyone in the US ever donated parts somewhere for a tax writeoff? I have some nice Subaru springs that I barely used and a Miata AC compressor I never used. Not getting any bites on craigslist/fb/etc.

I want nice wagon springs and all but the shipping is just murder :(

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

The Locator posted:

Indeed. I live alone, and on non-telecommute days I leave the house about 7:30 and don't get home until about 7, sometimes later. I just don't think it would be very cool to get a doggy and leave him/her alone 12 hours straight every day I go to work.

Same thing that stops me. I'd love to have a dog, but being stuck in an apartment 14 hours at a stretch four days a week isn't an environment for a pup.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Tomarse, I see no fuel/vac hose in that list.

Also that list is slightly better equipped than my whole garage, I know all the landy jokes but are they really that bad?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I've been hearing fireworks all day, but I just heard three now five bursts that sounded a whole loving lot like gunshots. Three in a row, then two more, all with that sharp report with mechanical-sounding tail-off.

I swear when I get a house I'm building an underground concrete bunker for holidays.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Tomarse, I see no fuel/vac hose in that list.

Also that list is slightly better equipped than my whole garage, I know all the landy jokes but are they really that bad?
They really aren't, but bear in mind his is both deviated from standard a fair way at this point, and is more of an "expedition" setup.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
FOUND THE PT KEYS

they were hanging on the key hold where they were supposed to be.

Also I want to cancel our wedding, elope and buy this house
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/609-W-Oakdale-Dr_Fort-Wayne_IN_46807_M40240-64895#photo20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Jesus Christ. That's like a $300k+ house here.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 4, 2017

• Locked thread