Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Senor P. posted:

Glass, to my knowledge, is not chemically nasty. (Although you could conceivably use etchants/acids for cleaning it afterwards as well as other chemicals for adding colors...)

welcome to the beautiful PNW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

lovely aspects of Portland's housing crisis seem to stem from a lack of infrastructure that supports sustainable development. When you've got premiere apartments/condos being built with little or no attention paid to traffic, parking congestion, or impact on communities

This sounds like near my office, by all the hundreds of new units being put up around Vancouver and Williams streets, between Shaver and Alberta, and I'm morbidly curious to see what it'll look like in a few years, once they've put the finishing touches on the new buildings while having done absolutely nothing to improve traffic management. Between a couple of single lane streets, the 405 ramps, and a few hundred new cars and bicycles per hour, it's going to be a spectacular shitshow.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Senor P. posted:

Well...... to start with how about Seattle and surrounding area doubles or triples the tax paid on property owned by non-U.S. citizens?

Baby steps....

I think a 1-2% tax would be more popular if people could specify what they want their monies to be used for... (Infrastructure? Health care? Birth control? Etc...etc....etc...)

First, a vacancy tax is much more fair and far less racist.
Second, funding government doesn't work like that. Unsexy programs need money also.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Thaddius the Large posted:

This sounds like near my office, by all the hundreds of new units being put up around Vancouver and Williams streets, between Shaver and Alberta, and I'm morbidly curious to see what it'll look like in a few years, once they've put the finishing touches on the new buildings while having done absolutely nothing to improve traffic management. Between a couple of single lane streets, the 405 ramps, and a few hundred new cars and bicycles per hour, it's going to be a spectacular shitshow.

here's a sneak peek of what to expect: division times five

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
"develop interstate, a main thoroughfare with existing MAX access, decent bus transit coverage, and plenty of vacant lots and abandoned buildings that nobody will miss? maybe in a few years"

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Peachfart posted:

Second, funding government doesn't work like that. Unsexy programs need money also.
Unsexy programs can keep getting funded like they've been to date. (Gas tax, sales tax and property tax.) Behind the scenes.

As for taxing the non-citizens...

Why should citizens of any outside nation be able to own land and displace the local populace?

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 3, 2017

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Senor P. posted:

Unsexy programs can keep getting funded like they've been to date. (Gas tax, sales tax and property tax.) Behind the scenes.

As for taxing the non-citizens...

Why should citizens of any outside nation be able to own land and displace the local populace?

I personally don't care if the rich rear end in a top hat loving me is from the USA or not. I'm still getting hosed.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Senor P. posted:

because that's literally the history of America

I'm not saying this as justification. There's a very big gap between "let's impose a domestic pseudo-tariff on foreign interests profiting off American livelihood" and "you shouldn't be able to own property if you aren't a citizen."

IM DAY DAY IRL fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 4, 2017

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Peachfart posted:

I personally don't care if the rich rear end in a top hat loving me is from the USA or not. I'm still getting hosed.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
I understand where that sentiment comes from but it's very difficult for me to reconcile that not only are people being hosed by fast and loose development but that property/real estate is being hoovered up as veritable offshore holding accounts with little intention of occupancy, management, or operation. There would likely be widespread support throughout the political spectrum to increase property tax on foreign-owned assets and it'd be a step in the right direction with regard to focusing tax liability on those who (theoretically) could afford it. If Seattle could lower or eliminate mandatory flat taxes on its citizens by replacing them with more progressive (in the tax sense, not political sense) tax measures it could be helpful in offsetting the rising cost of life.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
to be completely honest I've grown so accustomed to the no sales tax in Oregon that I frequently forget how punishing it can be in other states.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Vancouver's vacancy tax is still pretty new, and I was not able to find another example of such a tax. Has it been tried anywhere else?

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Vacancy tax sounds amazing.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

George posted:

Vacancy tax sounds amazing.
It sounds like a way for landlords to claim that they're being unfairly persecuted, and that's why they need to raise rents. What we need is rent control.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

anthonypants posted:

It sounds like a way for landlords to claim that they're being unfairly persecuted, and that's why they need to raise rents. What we need is rent control.

Landlords don't need an excuse though, as long as demand is higher than supply they'll just keep raising the rent.

Rent control would be nice but are there any negative effects? Does it cause ghettos? Prevent development or something? Why isn't it promoted more and/or is there any opposition to he idea? Does mandating a percentage of new developments be low income solve the same problem?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Why not both!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Mr. Lobe posted:

Why not both!

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I only suggested a vacancy tax because it is the perfect counter to the 'foreign investment' tax, which is an easy out for right-leaning people to try and blame all of our housing issues on 'foreign investors'(read: the dastardly Chinese).

A vacancy tax would do much more as it goes after the high-end apartment complexes that are left mostly vacant so as to increase pressure on the housing market. And reducing the pressure on the housing market is what will help the most people the quickest.

I think rent control would(unfortunately) be a much harder sell to the voters.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ElCondemn posted:

Does mandating a percentage of new developments be low income solve the same problem?
No, because as we have seen, landlords ignore those rules and do whatever they want, and the city eventually lets them.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

anthonypants posted:

landlords ignore those rules and do whatever they want, and the city eventually lets them.

also let's not forget the fact that in a very large percentage of cases tenants are unwilling to report violations for fear of unlawful evictions/rent increase/retribution from landlords

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I think the government should invest in flooding the market with publc housing and make that housing not-lovely and interspersed with units sold to middle income families. Increase supply of affordable units near the core so much that rents decrease.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

therobit posted:

I think the government should invest in flooding the market with publc housing and make that housing not-lovely and interspersed with units sold to middle income families. Increase supply of affordable units near the core so much that rents decrease.

Oh okay, well thanks for the simple solution there. We should just start by turning the ?????? into housing?

Therobit for HUD secretary, all your cities housing problems solved! :bravo:

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

therobit posted:

did you hear someone mention this idea at your local DSA meeting or something

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I mean it's never gonna loving happen but once upon a time the.government built public housing. One of the problems with government housing has been ghettoization. Mixed developments are a way to limit that ghettoization.

There is developable land near the core in the Portland area but the city is more interested in sucking the dicks of developers. If you want to push poor people to the margins of the city then you get Rockwood.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Rent control is dumb, just let private developers actually make more housing in more than a tiny slice of the city and have the government build non-lovely public housing (mixed income, mixed use).

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Yes, clearly what we just need is trickle down housing. The free market just needs to be left alone.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

SeaborneClink posted:

Oh okay, well thanks for the simple solution there. We should just start by turning the ?????? into housing?

Therobit for HUD secretary, all your cities housing problems solved! :bravo:

If by ?????? you mean 'tear down sfh', then yes.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Cicero posted:

Rent control is dumb, just let private developers actually make more housing in more than a tiny slice of the city and have the government build non-lovely public housing (mixed income, mixed use).

Why is it dumb exactly

Also vacancy tax is definitely the right way to go and even the barest minimum of requirements necessary to waive the tax would still hit exactly the groups of people this thread is complaining about.

But we also absolutely need rent control and I have never heard of a good argument against it.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

DevNull posted:

Yes, clearly what we just need is trickle down housing. The free market just needs to be left alone.
1. That's the problem, the market is pretty obviously not free at the moment. Zoning in nearly every American city is a disaster that seems designed to hurt people, especially the poor and working class. You think super low density is something intended to help the working man? It's pretty obviously exclusionary and classist (and probably racist), especially when combined with school district boundaries. And yet we get idiot leftists thinking that putting what amounts to a production quota on a product that everyone needs has no relation to the rising prices, like supply and demand don't exist.

2. Yeah we could probably get lower housing prices through public housing ala Singapore or Vienna too, but that ain't happening right now either. Ideally we'd have both.

Peachfart posted:

If by ?????? you mean 'tear down sfh', then yes.
Exactly. It's not normal for a major city to reserve huge amounts of residential land for detached single-family homes exclusively, so it's not exactly surprising that insisting that supply not be allowed to match demand results in crazy housing prices.

And even if we had full communism now, ~*~the state~*~ would tear it down to provide housing for people too.

Reene posted:

Why is it dumb exactly
Removes people's incentive to support more housing supply as soon as they're under rent control because they're immune to future market changes. That might not be so bad if land use policy in the US was sane by default, but it's not, and loosening zoning regulations even a little is like pulling teeth.

Only helps you if you get in early. So it's pretty nativist and exclusionary. How does it help future poor/working-class/middle-class people who want to move in after an economic boom? It doesn't. It segregates people by timing, which is dumb.

Ties people down with geographic golden handcuffs. Hope you never have to move to go to college, or to be closer to work, or to temporarily to take care of an ailing relative, or to have a bigger home because now you have kids, or one of a million other reasons, because then rent control does jack poo poo for you.

There are probably other reasons, those are the ones I got off the top of my head. Rent control like in Germany would probably be okay though because it's more broad-based and land use in Germany is actually sane.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
we need rent control AND vacancy tax AND professional dick kickers on retainer to kick landlords in the dick on a daily basis

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Cicero posted:

1. That's the problem, the market is pretty obviously not free at the moment. Zoning in nearly every American city is a disaster that seems designed to hurt people, especially the poor and working class. You think super low density is something intended to help the working man? It's pretty obviously exclusionary and classist (and probably racist), especially when combined with school district boundaries. And yet we get idiot leftists thinking that putting what amounts to a production quota on a product that everyone needs has no relation to the rising prices, like supply and demand don't exist.

2. Yeah we could probably get lower housing prices through public housing ala Singapore or Vienna too, but that ain't happening right now either. Ideally we'd have both.

Exactly. It's not normal for a major city to reserve huge amounts of residential land for detached single-family homes exclusively, so it's not exactly surprising that insisting that supply not be allowed to match demand results in crazy housing prices.

And even if we had full communism now, ~*~the state~*~ would tear it down to provide housing for people too.

Removes people's incentive to support more housing supply as soon as they're under rent control because they're immune to future market changes. That might not be so bad if land use policy in the US was sane by default, but it's not, and loosening zoning regulations even a little is like pulling teeth.

Only helps you if you get in early. So it's pretty nativist and exclusionary. How does it help future poor/working-class/middle-class people who want to move in after an economic boom? It doesn't. It segregates people by timing, which is dumb.

Ties people down with geographic golden handcuffs. Hope you never have to move to go to college, or to be closer to work, or to temporarily to take care of an ailing relative, or to have a bigger home because now you have kids, or one of a million other reasons, because then rent control does jack poo poo for you.

There are probably other reasons, those are the ones I got off the top of my head. Rent control like in Germany would probably be okay though because it's more broad-based and land use in Germany is actually sane.
Why do you believe zoning is a bogeyman? Zoning can be changed very easily for developers. It was only a few years ago that Seattle had to change the laws to allow extra small high-density apartments, Portland frequently waives developers from building parking lots, and as IM DAY DAY IRL mentioned earlier, neither the developers nor the city care if existing roads can deal with more people on them. But we can't do rent control because of zoning laws?

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Lack of parking should require developers to invest a meaningful portion of the money they squeeze in mass transit and bike infrastructure. This is a huge no-brainer.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

George posted:

This is a huge no-brainer.

As an avid cyclist I will openly say that increased funding in bike infrastructure does very little to actually impact traffic congestion and is money better spent elsewhere. Funds for mass transit only work when the city actually wants to invest in a practical, sustainable, and expandable system. Investments like this make more sense when residents are likely to utilize public transit. If they continue to build $750,000 apartments in NoPo it's a pretty safe bet the new owners/tenants are unlikely to be spotted on a public bus or... ***GASP*** THE CRIME TRAIN. Force developers to incorporate logical parking solutions that meet a pre-determined criteria into their designs or refuse permits- funneling money into a blue sky public transit system will never provide enough financial (or political) support to effectively make an impact.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Peachfart posted:

Anyone who thinks a tax levied on non-citizens is automatically "racist" is a moron

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

call to action posted:

Anyone who thinks a tax levied on non-citizens is automatically "racist" is a moron
The way people talk about foreign/Chinese property owners it might as well be.

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

As an avid cyclist I will openly say that increased funding in bike infrastructure does very little to actually impact traffic congestion and is money better spent elsewhere. Funds for mass transit only work when the city actually wants to invest in a practical, sustainable, and expandable system. Investments like this make more sense when residents are likely to utilize public transit. If they continue to build $750,000 apartments in NoPo it's a pretty safe bet the new owners/tenants are unlikely to be spotted on a public bus or... ***GASP*** THE CRIME TRAIN. Force developers to incorporate logical parking solutions that meet a pre-determined criteria into their designs or refuse permits- funneling money into a blue sky public transit system will never provide enough financial (or political) support to effectively make an impact.
https://twitter.com/PBOTinfo/status/870350326292819968

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 5, 2017

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

call to action posted:

Anyone who doesn't understand why this is racist is probably a racist.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
As someone living in Seattle that has had their rent go up 50% in the last 18 months I can say that landlords will use any excuse to jack the rent.

building maintenance/Property taxes/Wind shifts to the left 3 degrees on a Sunday

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
I'm glad that you guys have managed to collaborate and jointly recognize what is a universal truth; that everyone is racist.

you already triggered me with this in the Oregoons thread tony.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

I'm glad that you guys have managed to collaborate and jointly recognize what is a universal truth; that everyone is racist.

you already triggered me with this in the Oregoons thread tony.
I don't think I'd posted it in here, I was showing everyone else who hadn't seen it :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

BlueBlazer posted:

As someone living in Seattle that has had their rent go up 50% in the last 18 months I can say that landlords will use any excuse to jack the rent.

building maintenance/Property taxes/Wind shifts to the left 3 degrees on a Sunday

It sounds like your rent may have been increased illegally. If you have an existing lease they are not allowed to change the terms of that lease, that's true in all of Washington. In Seattle proper they're also required to give you a 60 day notice of a rent increase over 10% or more in a 12 month period.

Quick google gives me this page, seems to cover everything that you would need to get your rent reduced http://www.tenantsunion.org/en/rights/rule-changes-rent-increases

If I were you I'd start looking for a new place to live though...