Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
What's a good secondary for Blade? Probably only have one AOE ability left over for the secondary, was thinking about Chaos since its gimmick is low maintenance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Yeah I've been playing chaos and there's no part of its gimmick that really seems to hurt you, it just won't be as optimal if you aren't paying attention. It's nice as I have to keep an eye on the stupid elemental meter.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Rookersh posted:

Hammer/Shotgun was not tested at all.

The thing to think about for a good secondary in this seems to be if it can be used without any building. Hammers have a few buffs they give sure, but if you want to use the abilities you need Rage. And you can't get Rage while fighting/getting hit while using a Shotgun.

But if you switch to Hammers first with the Shotgun as a secondary, the Shotgun STARTS loaded, and has a ton of abilities that say "gets stronger based on shells used.".

Between the Hammer abilities buffing me up/healing me, mixed with the heals/damage of 6shot Shotgun abilities and I'm unkillable and do more damage then most DPS. I'm running around Shambala tanking entire groups and 1-2 shotting them. I soloed Polaris at the level you are supposed to group Polaris.

OTOH, Hammer rage is not lost, so while it doesn't proc the full rage abilities as often, using hammer off-hand will still build rage.

e: though for tanking, I'd say that off-hand hammer with shotgun specials is an excellent way to go. You can hold a rotation of the 2 shotgun tank specials and the 2 good hammer tank specials and never be off of one of those buffs.

Lawlicaust posted:

*evens/odds shotgun build*

How many clicks does it take you to kill normal solo mobs?

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 4, 2017

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Odds and Evens with Raging Shot+ is the fastest mob killing rotation I've seen so far. RS, Basic, RS, Basic will take out a lot of mobs. Shell use matters too... I would rank it Incendiary > Uranium+ > Armor Piercing > Uranium > Healing, although the latter can still save your rear end in certain situations.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Amante posted:

Odds and Evens with Raging Shot+ is the fastest mob killing rotation I've seen so far. RS, Basic, RS, Basic will take out a lot of mobs. Shell use matters too... I would rank it Incendiary > Uranium+ > Armor Piercing > Uranium > Healing, although the latter can still save your rear end in certain situations.

I'm curious how it goes later in the game, but I've found an RS/Demolish cycle to kill most mobs in 4 hits and tougher (or overleveled) mobs in 6. Only a few times have I resorted to having to pump action while I waited for energy.

Also, I have a theory that shotgun is the best OH for healing because reconstituting shells' 25% heal is almost guaranteed to be the highest no-resource, no-cast raw heal in the game.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Amante posted:

I agree except I'm not a big fan of incendiary on shorter fights. It's good on dungeon bosses but Uranium or AP seems to work out better for random mooks.

BabyFur Denny posted:

What's a good secondary for Blade? Probably only have one AOE ability left over for the secondary, was thinking about Chaos since its gimmick is low maintenance

Probably Fist so you can get Savagery or Shotgun for Opening Shot. You really only have one open slot with the blade builds (unless you do AoE on your secondary but that's not really necessary). Even if you do AoE on your secondary, Fist or Shotgun is probably better so you can transition to the buffs late game.

Several People posted:

Words about Hammer/Shotgun

Hammer/Shotgun seems extremely strong right now. Chaos probably has better damage reduction late game but you have a incredible amount of damage and defense with Hammer/Shotgun.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

Lawlicaust posted:

Chaos probably has better damage reduction late game but you have a incredible amount of damage and defense with Hammer/Shotgun.

You mean chaos/hammer or chaos/shotgun for late game?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Doing all the investigation missions this time around, and I still refuse to accept anyone did them legitimately. :colbert:

my notebook is still full of demonic translations, gently caress that mission

Noirex
May 30, 2006

I'm really liking blood but getting bored of the shotgun. Pistols sounds like a blast, would blood and pistols work for mainly soloing? How about blood and AR?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

poptart_fairy posted:

Doing all the investigation missions this time around, and I still refuse to accept anyone did them legitimately. :colbert:

Oh someone did. Someone very idiot savant.

There were a lot of autistic angry fits back in the day by people who maintained the mission wikis.

I'm assuming they're the kind of people who can instantly memorize every postcode that exists but freak out when their ice cream cone is vanilla instead of vanilla malt.

Or when its the wrong density of chocolate.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jul 4, 2017

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Investigations missions are really uneven sometimes. I fully believe that the reason funcom didn't touch them is because some people would get REAL angry and accusations of dumbing down would be everywhere, even if I guarantee that 90% + of TSW players had to Google the answers.

There's some really good ones. In still early on my replay but the kingsmouth ones with the priest are the kind that's well done. They require knowledge of the map and some thinking outside of the box. Those are also the kind where you are supposed to Google, just not the outright answer. Doing those with a group of friends are some of my fondest memories with the game because we would cover each other's weaknesses.

But then there's the Ellis one where you're supposed to download the Morse code to be able to slow it down so you can translate it and it's just. Who is even going to do that?

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
First time around I put off the morse code thing because effort and then found the place just exploring. The seance circle matching letters to symbols though? That one is annoying and time consuming even if you have a key

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Meallan posted:

Investigations missions are really uneven sometimes. I fully believe that the reason funcom didn't touch them is because some people would get REAL angry and accusations of dumbing down would be everywhere, even if I guarantee that 90% + of TSW players had to Google the answers.

There's some really good ones. In still early on my replay but the kingsmouth ones with the priest are the kind that's well done. They require knowledge of the map and some thinking outside of the box. Those are also the kind where you are supposed to Google, just not the outright answer. Doing those with a group of friends are some of my fondest memories with the game because we would cover each other's weaknesses.

But then there's the Ellis one where you're supposed to download the Morse code to be able to slow it down so you can translate it and it's just. Who is even going to do that?

I think the best part was when the investigation missions were broken and you had to figure out if you made a mistake or if it was just 'Funcom'.

That one with the loving lights on the ground in Egypt where you'd stumble over other players making an attempt was the worst by far.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

DancingShade posted:

Oh someone did. Someone very idiot savant.

There were a lot of autistic angry fits back in the day by people who maintained the mission wikis.

I'm assuming they're the kind of people who can instantly memorize every postcode that exists but freak out when their ice cream cone is vanilla instead of vanilla malt.

Or when its the wrong density of chocolate.

You can say drinkfist

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Something Wicked was broken for months on OG launch

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I've bumped into the space limit now, where I don't have enough anima to upgrade items, hence I don't have the space in my bags to collect rewards, so I can't get more anima from quests. Got to trek back to Agartha every time it gets filled up.

Let this be a cautionary tale: don't spend cash at the museum of the occult, because the cost for upgrading items skyrockets with each tier.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Fruits of the sea posted:

I've bumped into the space limit now, where I don't have enough anima to upgrade items, hence I don't have the space in my bags to collect rewards, so I can't get more anima from quests. Got to trek back to Agartha every time it gets filled up.

Let this be a cautionary tale: don't spend cash at the museum of the occult, because the cost for upgrading items skyrockets with each tier.

I gave up on the entire museum because I couldn't figure out where to use the purple museum crap I picked up along the way.

Tossed it all in the end and walked out with 3 unlocked empty wings. gently caress it :shrug:

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
You know you can just sell some of your extra poo poo for more anima shards when you're running low. I'm on purple and I sell everything not a sword because it's too expensive for very little progress. Although I am also trying to pump up my museum for the costumes and kick rear end gadgets.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Deputy Andy: you can stop telling me about the kittens. Please.

Also, how do I get invited into the guild? I'm "Prefect".

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

Hy_C posted:

You can say drinkfist

It was a team effort by myself, Lawlicaust and Spacedad during the original beta. I made a few picture walkthoughs for our offsite and sites like unfair and ign got a hold of them and made guides. I do remember Lawlicaust going particularity nuts over the Hebrew moses staff one. Things like Kingsmouth Code and Big Terrible Picture were my jam.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Drinkfist posted:

It was a team effort by myself, Lawlicaust and Spacedad during the original beta. I made a few picture walkthoughs for our offsite and sites like unfair and ign got a hold of them and made guides. I do remember Lawlicaust going particularity nuts over the Hebrew moses staff one. Things like Kingsmouth Code and Big Terrible Picture were my jam.

The Hebrew staff one wasn't that bad. It was The Big Terrible Picture that was poo poo in beta because it was super buggy and would only work during the day.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Lawlicaust posted:

The Hebrew staff one wasn't that bad. It was The Big Terrible Picture that was poo poo in beta because it was super buggy and would only work during the day.

I think the line from you was. "Really, I gotta learn loving Hebrew now!? What the hell does this game want from me? Ridiculous."

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
Vote for a new guild name. Polls close in whenever I care to check again. Maybe a few hours, idk.

http://www.strawpoll.me/13354423

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Drinkfist posted:

I think the line from you was. "Really, I gotta learn loving Hebrew now!? What the hell does this game want from me? Ridiculous."

Definitely not from me. I already know Ancient Hebrew. Checkmate.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Richard M Nixon posted:

Vote for a new guild name. Polls close in whenever I care to check again. Maybe a few hours, idk.

Badr's Baddies

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Martout posted:

First time around I put off the morse code thing because effort and then found the place just exploring. The seance circle matching letters to symbols though? That one is annoying and time consuming even if you have a key

See, I cheaped out and used a morse code app on my smartphone, but that was because I figured my character would do the same thing. :v:

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Richard M Nixon posted:

Well at lest he can't take "The Awful Order" from me because I am currently using it. Again. Originally I formed the cabal called "Everything is Monetized" but the GM not responding to me and their baby attitude to criticism lead me to believe it had something to do with it.

Kyrosiris posted:

See, I cheaped out and used a morse code app on my smartphone, but that was because I figured my character would do the same thing. :v:

You would figure that you would have some kind of support from your faction in regards to basic research but all they gave you was a loving cell phone to say "Cheerio" on. The cell phone also runs a hacking app but every time you approach a computer you gotta guess the password so I don't think it ... hacks.

Drinkfist fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 4, 2017

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Kyrosiris posted:

I mean why have a cellphone if all it's good for is Geary reminding you how awesome she is

E: well that is reason enough, but still

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.

Gawain The Blind posted:

I was having an okay time with this game until I realized contacts were level limited. I dunno, maybe it opens up later, but being shuttled around to each contact in kingsmouth one at a time infuriates me, and I'm not sure why. I guess it's another loss of choice on top of the rest.

edit:

It's you. You're the lowest common denominator developers are talking about when they simplify for "accessibility." You are the reason everything ends up like yet another warcraft clone. You honestly couldn't understand the skill system? really? You're not just being hyperbolic? Are you just trolling? It was literally "mash a key until you build up a resource and then hit the ability that uses the resource." With the added complexity of "some weapons can use the status effects other weapons generate for additional bonuses."

I'm not a big fan of number crunchy theory-craft and optimal builds and poo poo, I tend towards "abilities that do cool things" rather than worry too much about whether or not my build is achieving maximum dps- but even I managed to figure out the loving skill wheel.

Now who's being hyperbolic? You think it was really just as simple as mashing a button? What about the hundreds of different skills and interactions (thousands?)? How does a non-sperglord get anywhere in that system? Anyhow, I like the new system. It's fun.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

kayakyakr posted:

Also, I have a theory that shotgun is the best OH for healing because reconstituting shells' 25% heal is almost guaranteed to be the highest no-resource, no-cast raw heal in the game.

There's also the chaos elite that gives you 40%.

But there's nothing saying you can't have both. :getin:

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Ahh this is great, the good old goon drama is back.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

yegods posted:

Anyhow, I like the new system. It's fun.

Same. I've had this game sitting in my library for years because I tried it and the combat was just awful feeling. It's good now and I'm having fun swinging a sword around, or playing (and rigging) roulette with my pistols.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Exmond posted:

Ahh this is great, the good old goon drama is back.

Goons are chill as gently caress. We'll play with everyone, even drinkfist as he screams for acknowledgement.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Lawlicaust posted:

It was The Big Terrible Picture that was poo poo in beta because it was super buggy and would only work during the day.
About that...

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Kyrosiris posted:

That's pretty legit actually. I feel that for those missions the only thing that counts as cheating is looking for a TSW walkthrough. Anything else is role-playing and fair game.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
I guess holding on to marks of funcom until a few days from now when auction prices have probably cratered due to increase in drop rates is a good idea?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Amante posted:

About that...

The super buggy parts were that once someone finished the crystal part it wouldn't reset for hours and only one person could do it at a time. The during the day only part was just the rotten cherry on the poo poo cake.

Drinkfist posted:

Well at lest he can't take "The Awful Order" from me because I am currently using it. Again. Originally I formed the cabal called "Everything is Monetized" but the GM not responding to me and their baby attitude to criticism lead me to believe it had something to do with it.

You would figure that you would have some kind of support from your faction in regards to basic research but all they gave you was a loving cell phone to say "Cheerio" on. The cell phone also runs a hacking app but every time you approach a computer you gotta guess the password so I don't think it ... hacks.

I'm changing my vote from Badr Baddies to Everything is Monetized. Fantastic loving name.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Thanks for the guild invite. :tipshat:

Is there any recommended strategy for the third part of "scrapyard defence"? It's kicking my rear end, and it really doesn't seem like the barricades should be as badly damaged as they always are. :saddowns:

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Name changed to Make Agartha Great Again. Happy freedom day.

prefect posted:

Is there any recommended strategy for the third part of "scrapyard defence"? It's kicking my rear end, and it really doesn't seem like the barricades should be as badly damaged as they always are. :saddowns:

I noticed they do blow up the defenses super fast. You can drop the special ability bar and just blast poo poo with your normal attacks if you have strong AOEs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
place the gunk barrel or whatever it's called in the path of the baddies and not by the barricade, they will stop to attack it and you can spam left mouse at them