Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Crosby should not be put in a position to block shots frequently. He doesn't need any more opportunities to get injured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

But at least most of those shots are low at his legs instead of all the shots he takes to the head.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Heliogabalos posted:

so CAS, what are the feels at the moment?

I am on board with what Benning has done so far this summer. He's finally accepted that we're not temporarily embarrassed contenders and has (seemingly) committed to incremental improvement over time. Most of the draft picks he made were solid from a percentages perspective, and all his free agent signings were stopgaps that keep the team from rushing young players into the lineup again and could potentially be flipped for assets in the future.

I don't mind that the team hasn't traded Tanev. Dallas' 3rd overall (or a similarly valued pick or prospect) is the only return that the team should've considered moving him for. He's not going anywhere and He pushes the rest of the defence down a spot which they very much need.No matter how you shake it, that back end is going to be subpar at absolute best. Worst comes to worst they can ice an Edler-Tanev pairing for 25 minutes a night because they know that works and keeps everyone else from being brutally exposed.

With that said, you're bang on when you say this team has no core to build around. They are steadily improving their prospect base, but there are no sure thing impact players in there. This is essentially year one of the rebuild, and even if everything went right with every u21 player they have that's not a top quality contender there. I love Horvat, but he's a depth player on a team with serious designs at winning a cup. It's more likely than not that the team has yet to draft a single part of their future core.

The team is going to be bad for a while. Likely very bad, but if these moves were done with that mindset (which seems to be the case) then the healing can begin. Whether the PP or PK is improved or not next year is largely irrelevant to me. What you see on the ice come October is going to bear little to no resemblance to what we'll see when the team is respectable again. Really the only things that matter next year are how the youngsters perform and if Green's system is one to keep moving forwards. A few percentage points here or there isn't going to markedly affect things over the long term.

If they play a fun, upbeat style I'll tune in. If they continue that dreadful trap style they employed under Willie then I won't. Daniel hitting 1000pts could very well be the only noteworthy moment of the 2017-18 Vancouver Canucks season.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

So still riding that high from Luca Sbisa being selected by Vegas.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Schlesische posted:

Yeah, and unlike Bergevin, Benning didn't go out and immediately throw 25M at an awful UFA to replace him.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

grack posted:

Yeah, and unlike Bergevin, Benning didn't go out and immediately throw 25M at an awful UFA to replace him.

The only questionable decision is making good, multi-year signings (the sort that are harder to flip) rather than purposely only picking up garbage for the full tank.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Heliogabalos posted:

so CAS, what are the feels at the moment?

I see a decent draft and acceptable signings with an eye to improve the PP, which has been a tire fire for several years. The PK is a question mark with no more Burrows/Hansen. Still, there is no clear core to rebuild around unless Horvat (who is still unsigned), Boeser, Goldobin and Dahlen or some combination thereof actually turn into something.

Otherwise I see repetition of calls to trade Tanev everywhere, which seems really stupid to me as he will still be worth a lot in three years if this team actually starts turning into a rebuilt franchise.

The thing about trading Tanev in 3 years is he's at his peak *now*. He will not be a better player in 3 years, and will very likely be a worse one.

That being said, maybe the return is better next year, or possibly even in 3 years - that it would have been now - but is the team that much worse without Tanev (Keeping in mind their 29th place finish this season)? I doubt it. But ThinkTank brings up a good point that without Tanev there someone else has to step into those minutes. Stetcher maybe could, but it's only his 2nd season and I don't think that'd be good for his development. Hutton took a step back this season, and maybe isn't up to the task either.

It's also unlikely Benning even tries to get anything for the Sedins at the end of their last year here, so we really do need to have the team trying to aggressively acquire assets sooner rather than later from somewhere

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Also it's going to take the Canucks a lot more than three years to be a good team again.

Reminder they'll still have 10 million in Brandon Sutter and Loui Erikson then.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

HookShot posted:

Also it's going to take the Canucks a lot more than three years to be a good team again.

Reminder they'll still have 10 million in Brandon Sutter and Loui Erikson then.

I have my fingers crossed that they'll figure it out and be a bit less embarrassing by the early 20s, but I'm not holding my breath.

Schlesische posted:

Benning almost succeeded in trading Gudbranson for Jason Demers. Like in real life, not a video game. I feel like I've stepped into an alternate universe.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
https://twitter.com/TonyMarinaro/status/882051314993201153

but why?

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger

If it's short term and cheap I could be on board, but other than that forget it

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
He's still good just don't overwork him or he's pretty brutal. I mean yeah this applies to everyone but especially Markov.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Bergevin you fucker

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:

Shawn Cotureier posted:

If it's short term and cheap I could be on board, but other than that forget it

Yeah if it's one year for cheap, fine, but that's not happening. Hextall said he didn't want to sign veterans to block the kids. It doesn't make sense for anyone.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Markov was great this year. The bottom could always fall out but he's held up as well as any old defenseman.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I mean he would instantly be the Pens' best left D so if he's going to go for cheap JR better be in on that poo poo - especially if it means making one of Maatta/Dumo expendable to snatch up a 3C

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Makes me sad Bergevin will just let Markov walk away like that. He's been around forever.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Schlemko - Weber
Benn - Petry
Alzner, Davidson, Morrow

Habs are gonna miss the playoffs. Carey should've asked for more money playing in front this garbage.

yellowcar fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 4, 2017

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
The Atlantic is still pretty bad, so I expect the Habs will squeak into the playoffs just to be unceremoniously bounced in 5 games in the first round.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Suspicious posted:

The Atlantic is still pretty bad, so I expect the Habs will squeak into the playoffs just to be unceremoniously bounced in 5 games in the first round.

Eh, Toronto got better. Ottawa and Boston are mostly the same. Tampa should be hot hot hot next year with Stamkos playing a full season. I could see them missing pretty easily, especially if they can't find a way to make up Radulov/Markov's points.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Buffalo is gonna be better next season. How much better is yet to be seen.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

The Habs have lost: Subban, Sergachev, Barberio, Beaulieu, Pateryn all in a span of two loving years.

Contract the Habs.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

yellowcar posted:

The Habs have lost: Subban, Sergachev, Barberio, Beaulieu, Pateryn all in a span of two loving years.

Contract the Habs.

You forgot Radulov

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

iospace posted:

You forgot Radulov

David Desharnais, Sven Andrighetto, Lars Eller and there is a 0% loving chance that Paul Byron hits 20 goals again.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

I meant in terms of just defence (Markov too now). But yeah, you're right.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

yeah but they got players like John Scott, Steve Ott, Karl Azner, Brandon Davidson, Andrew Shaw, and Dwight King so uh definite win there

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

yellowcar posted:

Schlemko - Weber
Benn - Petry
Alzner, Davidson, Morrow

Habs are gonna miss the playoffs. Carey should've asked for more money playing in front this garbage.

You know that Alzner - Weber will be the Habs first pairing.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Not sure I'd consider Radulov a loss when everyone knew there was no way he'd be staying. Either A) he sucked and wouldn't be resigned or B) he did good and would get paid mad monies elsewhere.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The stars might be good this year

Maybeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Kilza posted:

You know that Alzner - Weber will be the Habs first pairing.

It doesn't even matter. It's gonna be bad. Slow and bad.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Carey Price is playing four dimensional chess. He gets more money AND gets to spend the playoffs at home with his new kid. loving genius.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
The Leafs getting Marleau has me all hot and bothered even though I realize it's no longer 2006. But it's a name I actually recognize. Gonna have to watch them more this year. Are they a dark house for the Eastern conference finals?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

The Leafs getting Marleau has me all hot and bothered even though I realize it's no longer 2006. But it's a name I actually recognize. Gonna have to watch them more this year. Are they a dark house for the Eastern conference finals?

Hell no.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ya, it'll be tough to go through the grueling gauntlet that led Ottawa to the Conference Finals.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Shinjobi posted:

The stars might be good this year

Maybeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I believe. They proved that all you need is goals and I have tempered but moderate expectations of bishop. Then again, that d corps...

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Ya, it'll be tough to go through the grueling gauntlet that led Ottawa to the Conference Finals.

They took the Stanley Cup champion to double overtime game 7. The east sucks poo poo, anything can happen.

Like, Buffalo making the SCF wouldnt even phase me at this point.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I dunno, duplicating what Ottawa did seems improbable if not impossible.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

MononcQc posted:

yeah but they got players like John Scott, Steve Ott, Karl Azner, Brandon Davidson, Andrew Shaw, and Dwight King so uh definite win there

Well, Brandon Davidson is pretty good so expect Bergevin to trade him for a conditional 5th or something.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

He's worth 20 games of a tiny lovely centre you have no intention of signing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
The Florida Panthers will be the ones going to the ECF from the Atlantic division this year, boys. They'll just, uh, win every game 1-0 since they have no scorers.

Unless they loving resign Jagr and Vanek like they should.

• Locked thread