Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Flunky posted:

so i read their bullshit reasoning but whats the real, actual goal of doing this

finish destroying public ed, leave charter schools as the only option other than homeschooling for educating children

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I'm from Cedar Rapids and I say chill 'em all.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Joementum posted:

[turns to camera]

that's just what ahh wanted them to think was
mah plan

politics
zynga
president trump

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Flunky posted:

so i read their bullshit reasoning but whats the real, actual goal of doing this
Poors are controlled and stay poor if they can't meet the demands of the state since there will be no jobs for those without a diploma.
It basically forces them to stay locked to where they are or move away and take a GED or whatever the local equivalent is, which of course not completing highschool properly to get a diploma where you attended is a bias of it's own for potential employers.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Flunky posted:

Shifting blame for the poo poo economy onto young workers and encouraging more loan borrowing.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

This is super hosed.

Destroy Democrats.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

i found this to be a pretty interesting read even if i dont agree with the author's historical analysis of elections decades past. however i feel they bring up an excellent point in that neither "whites are racists" nor "voters want progressive policies" fully explains the outcome of 2016.

if you factor age into it i feel things begin to make a little more sense i feel. young voters overwhelmingly want progressive policies as seen by obama's 08 numbers and that sanders won primary states were youth turnout, particularly 18-30, was a couple of points higher. the key, i believe, isn't that progressive policies are going to win over the racists that jumped ship in the 70s and 80s and now make up the republicans strongest voting bloc. progressive policies however will turn out the youth vote (who almost reached double digits in their voting for 3rd parties in 2016) and provide a path for a victory

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

ThndrShk2k posted:

The gently caress?

The gently caress!?!? :psyduck:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
https://youtu.be/P6oOuKQnPaU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ThndrShk2k posted:

The gently caress!?!? :psyduck:

dems bad

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
So an 18 year old finishes senior year and wants to get married and be a homemaker instead of working. They are now not allowed to graduate high school. hahahahahaha, what?

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
speaking ex cathedra on this one: if rahm was the kind of people Obama surrounded himself with, maybe his legacy isn't worth defending and we as a party would do well to start treating these people as highly radioactive.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Subjunctivitis posted:

QQ: Why don't all these #resist Dems harp about this? Like, they're not saying,"We can't repeal Obamacare and hang people out to dry! We need to expand it to more people with a public option while fixing the inherent pricing flaws!"

I also watched all of the debates, and I never heard Hillary say this, or at least in a way that would perk up my ears to it. I never went to her website

She actually did say she supported a public option. Then she defined "Public Option" as lowering the Medicare age to 55:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/05/11/us/politics/hillary-clinton-health-care-public-option.html posted:

I’m also in favor of what’s called the public option, so that people can buy into Medicare at a certain age,” Mrs. Clinton said on Monday at a campaign event in Virginia.

Mr. Sanders calls his single-payer health care plan “Medicare for all.” What Mrs. Clinton proposed was a sort of Medicare for more.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mormon Star Wars posted:

She actually did say she supported a public option. Then she defined "Public Option" as lowering the Medicare age to 55:

so... that's actually a no.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

speaking ex cathedra on this one: if rahm was the kind of people Obama surrounded himself with, maybe his legacy isn't worth defending and we as a party would do well to start treating these people as highly radioactive.

Racesexism :byodood:

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

so... that's actually a no.

Well she "said" she "did" "support" it.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Mormon Star Wars posted:

she supported both public option *and* medicare buy-in, two separate proposals (although she is a bit ambiguous there). she also supported a public option when she ran in 2008

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

GalacticAcid posted:

Rahm is by leaps and bounds the worst of the Obama admin.

It's really not close.

Uhh, Obama was the greatest of garbos

Then of course there's Hillary Clinton :laffo:

Eric Holder lol, Rahm is like 4-5 on the list of terrible human beings

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

anime was right posted:

ive said repeatedly that clinton would have been a fine president, but like, she literally never advocated for her mostly good policies which were a harder sell because

she ran on a list of terms and conditions attached to bernies platform and didn't even list off the table of contents

The thing that concerned me about Clinton is that, even though she had articulated a number of good policies (mostly on her website), her history doesn't really make her a reliable actor to implement them. I also feared that she may have only been so willing to make the concessions she did because a Congress that wouldn't be able to pass such legislation was likely to also result from the election. Like, if I put myself in the shoes of "a centrist Democrat who wants to win the votes of more leftist Democrats without scaring off my more traditional donors and supporters", she did about what I would have done - technically include some good/progressive ideas in your platform, but under circumstances where you have a ready excuse for not actually implementing them and without being particularly vocal about them (so as to not concern the aforementioned traditional donors and supporters).

All this being said, I still would have gladly taken the small chance of her actually doing some of this stuff over Trump.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

cultist

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Concerned Citizen posted:

she supported both public option *and* medicare buy-in, two separate proposals (although she is a bit ambiguous there). she also supported a public option when she ran in 2008

I bet if you ask her or her press secretary they will say "she means what she said" or something along those lines, while the rest of the public is left puzzled by the word salad, not unlike our current situation with Trump.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Corky Romanovsky posted:

I bet if you ask her or her press secretary they will say "she means what she said" or something along those lines, while the rest of the public is left puzzled by the word salad, not unlike our current situation with Trump.

well luckily that was not the only instance of her campaign saying the words "public option" so we don't need to be puzzled about it

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
You agreed there is ambiguity.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Corky Romanovsky posted:

You agreed there is ambiguity.

ambiguity in that one sentence.

quote:

“Hillary will work with interested governors, using current flexibility under the Affordable Care Act, to empower states to establish a public option choice.”

which, btw, is still retrograde from her position in 2008 but is pretty clearly distinguished from a medicare buy-in

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Ytlaya posted:

...even though she had articulated a number of good policies (mostly on her website), her history doesn't really make her a reliable actor to implement them.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

hillary bad

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hillary takes a backseat to no one when it comes to her credentials as a mealymouthed supporter of the Pubic Option.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Public Opinion

public definition: the option available to the public to buy in to a cheaper alternative to private health insurance

private definition: the option available to the public to die in a way that enriches private companies

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Universal Healthcare

public definition: a system in which a minimum level of care is guaranteed

private definition: a system in which a minimum level of profit is guaranteed to private companies

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Single Payer

public definition: a form of health insurance in which the government negotiates and pays for medical expenses

private definition: a form of health insurance in which the individual is obliged to pay whatever is demanded by the sole service provider in the area

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
just as humans consume everything

so will we finally consume ourselves

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

FuriousxGeorge posted:

So an 18 year old finishes senior year and wants to get married and be a homemaker instead of working. They are now not allowed to graduate high school. hahahahahaha, what?

Good?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lastgirl posted:

just as humans consume everything

so will we finally consume ourselves

the explicit and literal purpose of life is to consume

all life beyond the mitochondrial level is nothing but more complicated methods of consuming energy that is selfishly advantageous to that specific form of life

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

How is that good?

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007
Causation or Correlation?
https://twitter.com/LucianNikki/status/882073243246485504

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

the explicit and literal purpose of life is to consume

all life beyond the mitochondrial level is nothing but more complicated methods of consuming energy that is selfishly advantageous to that specific form of life

mitochondria are the original slaves

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Bernie fucks

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

fits my needs posted:

Bernie fucks

but will that end racism?

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007