Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

information warfare does sound like debate club tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the NYSE is having an interesting evening

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Exchanges are closed... I doubt this is having any real effect.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Per SIP, it was an improper release of test data, which is what I suspected.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

I have a friend in public sector strategic consulting who says the difference between "infosec" and "wizard" in his materials is 5 speaking engagements and $250K/year.

yeah fwiw my last two projects have had "wizard" in the name and they've been good and i can afford more index funds and a bigger tithe to splc because of it

Daman
Oct 28, 2011

Trabandiumium posted:

information warfare does sound like debate club tbh

info... wars?

ah poo poo yeah I think that's taken

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Midjack posted:

some of the senile flag officers and senior executives of the defense and intelligence organizations think "information operations" has to do with propaganda and "cyber operations" is very definitely computers so it's really more of an anti age-discrimination thing
holy poo poo

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

people were offering to cyber on ICQ in 1997

turns out all those alleged horny teenagers were actually nsa recruiters playing the long game

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

French Canadian posted:

Indeed, and I know cyber "whatever" has been around forever but I am unaware of when just "cyber" became a term. It's like saying "I like mountain" and forgetting to add "climbing", "biking" or "making GBS threads".

c'mon son

quote:

Even though cyber- had been attaching itself to other words for more than two decades already, the term cyberspace only appeared in 1982, apparently coined by William Gibson in his science fiction novella Burning Chrome. According to its Oxford English Dictionary (OED) entry, cyberspace is the space of virtual reality; the notional environment within which electronic communication (esp. via the Internet) occurs. Although other cyber- formations cropped up, including cyberworld, cyberland, Cyberia (punningly after Siberia), and cybersphere (which is actually attested to earlier than cyberspace), cyberspace remains by far the most popular cyber- term used to refer more broadly to the world of electronic communications (including the Internet), although its popularity peaked in the late 1990s

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

So we have to get very, very tough on cyber and cyber warfare. It is a, it is a huge problem. I have a son.

He's 10 years old. He has computers. He is so good with these computers, it's unbelievable. The security aspect of cyber is very, very tough. And maybe it's hardly do-able. But I will say, we are not doing the job we should be doing, but that's true throughout our whole governmental society. We have so many things that we have to do better, Lester and certainly cyber is one of them.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

yeah, that's all "cyber "whatever""

the question is when it became a standalone word

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

jesus christ how the gently caress is everyone this dense. cyber became a standalone thing last year, during.presidential debates in the american elections. specific excerpt above

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

no but really cinco de mayshroom, i get that, but what about this cyber thing

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

cyber was definitely used by itself for years before then

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

cyber was definitely used by itself for years before then

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

but enough about your yiffing adventures. hasn't been part of mainstream discourse for last decade at least

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

cinci zoo sniper posted:

but enough about your yiffing adventures. hasn't been part of mainstream discourse for last decade at least

just because a fat orange shithead with holes in his brain got caught using it once last year doesn't make it mainstream

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

I only do palliative software maintenance

this is brilliant and simple and i am surprised i have never heard it before

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cocoa Crispies posted:

just because a fat orange shithead with holes in his brain got caught using it once last year doesn't make it mainstream

"once" :laffo: oh you sweet summer child

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Midjack posted:

some of the senile flag officers and senior executives of the defense and intelligence organizations think "information operations" has to do with propaganda and "cyber operations" is very definitely computers so it's really more of an anti age-discrimination thing

so if I tell them I work in cyber information systems, they're going to think I do rad poo poo when really I do not. cool.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ohgodwhat posted:

nobody cybers better than him

i put on my orange wig and small hands

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

imo the cyber- prefix without any stem following implied cybersex until trump

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i got better things to do *plays factorio for six hours*

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i got better things to do *plays factorio for six hours*

this but unironically

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shaggar posted:

this but unironically
yeah, i always wanted to try factorio

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
"cyber" was an eyeroll term on k street long before donald trump came to dc

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
theres litterrally us cyber command. cyber is old as heck.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shaggar posted:

cyber as adjective is old as hell, sure. cyber as a noun has not been widely used in public formal contexts for past decade

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
oh my god, cyberwizards

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Truga posted:

oh my god, cyberwizards

their called sorcerers terry pratchett reference

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

leper khan posted:

so if I tell them I work in cyber information systems, they're going to think I do rad poo poo when really I do not. cool.

there's a nonzero chance this will work

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

cyber as adjective is old as hell, sure. cyber as a noun has not been widely used in public formal contexts for past decade

i first heard it in a formal (albeit not public) context in like 2010 and giggled because it still meant cybersex to me, and it's been, for want of a better way of putting it, a term of art in the MIC for longer than that.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

their called sourcerers terry pratchett reference

Ftfy

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

well things get more and more interesting https://www.welivesecurity.com/2017/07/04/analysis-of-telebots-cunning-backdoor/

evidence of a backdoor in medoc since mid-april

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Powaqoatse posted:

i put on my orange wig and small hands

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Grace Baiting posted:

im the thought in "And thought the PC boasts temperature monitoring and side-channel attack protection, it doesn't specify exactly how."

im the sentence right before that that says it has open hardware yet somehow nobody knows how the temperature monitoring works i guess?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

a big chunk of it is based in Florida actually, i've driven past it

i would just like to underline that america's cybers are protected by Florida

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ate all the Oreos posted:

a big chunk of it is based in Florida actually, i've driven past it

i would just like to underline that america's cybers are protected by Florida

their headquarters is colocated with :nsa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010