Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Oxyclean posted:

Isn't there supposed to be xp awarded for participation now?

Sure looking forward to people being even more mad about losing.

Not participation, according to the patch notes:

quote:

Class/Job EXP gained from participating in PvP encounters has been adjusted to take match durations into account.
Victories and losses will now award different amounts of EXP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Which sections drop the chest pieces?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Adept Nightingale posted:

This absolutely blows and is a really wrongheaded approach. Disappointed, but not really surprised-- they're probably going to continue in this vein until PVP gets back to its HW levels of irrelevance.

I'm sorry that you get slightly less exp for AFKing

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Freak Futanari posted:

Yes, that is definitely what I said, you got me good

If you don't care, fine, but what's your problem?

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Freak Futanari posted:

You're just assuming everyone AFK'd in PVP.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
The Frontlines exp change was good, since it might convince at least a few more people to actually try playing the game instead of "guarding the base"

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Freak Futanari posted:

This isn't going to deter anyone who was AFKing before. Two teams have to lose every match, and most of the time it's entirely independent of the input of any of the individual players who randomly wound up there.

Maybe you didn't play Frontlines in Heavensward, but as it exists now is always how it has been. Undirected chaos that winds up with you winning roughly 33% of the time for no discernible reason. It's a lovely game mode temporarily buoyed by its function as a relief valve for DPS leveling by pure virtue of being less awful than POTD.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Freak Futanari posted:

Funny, but people AFKing are basically unaffected (who cares if they have to AFK another hour to the next level), unlike those who'd actually want to try and win, but happen to end up in groups with more AFKers than the other guys or against premades or whatnot. You're in a group of 24, even if you're a PvP super hero, whether your team wins or loses is not often up to you.

It's not the end of the world or anything, but it's still a stupid design decision.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Freak Futanari posted:

The Frontlines exp change was good, since it might convince at least a few more people to actually try playing the game instead of "guarding the base"

It wont. So what. They have to AFK one more episode of whatever Netflix show they are watching to achieve the same goal.

PVP is still good exp and fun to do if you like that sort of thing. I don't think anybody expected them to get rid of the AFK problem.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Shere posted:

This isn't going to deter anyone who was AFKing before. Two teams have to lose every match, and most of the time it's entirely independent of the input of any of the individual players who randomly wound up there.

Maybe you didn't play Frontlines in Heavensward, but as it exists now is always how it has been. Undirected chaos that winds up with you winning roughly 33% of the time for no discernible reason. It's a lovely game mode temporarily buoyed by its function as a relief valve for DPS leveling by pure virtue of being less awful than POTD.

I actually played a lot of Frontlines in Heavensward, and while it wasn't possible to win every single match there either, there were a LOT less people who treated it as Get Experience For Alt-Tabbing Out To Watch Netflix. Making PVP straight up the best levelling option for DPS players, while also giving the same reward if you win or lose, was a great recipe for really messing up Frontlines, since suddenly there were a lot less people bothering to play healers (because everyone wants to level their DPS), while also offering no incentive whatsoever to even participate beyond joining the match and then idling.

It still gives decent exp, but it now actually gives you an incentive to play it. And if having rewards decided by team effort is a deal-breaker for some people, then maybe PVP isn't something they'd enjoy in the first place?

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Freak Futanari posted:

I actually played a lot of Frontlines in Heavensward, and while it wasn't possible to win every single match there either, there were a LOT less people who treated it as Get Experience For Alt-Tabbing Out To Watch Netflix. Making PVP straight up the best levelling option for DPS players, while also giving the same reward if you win or lose, was a great recipe for really messing up Frontlines, since suddenly there were a lot less people bothering to play healers (because everyone wants to level their DPS), while also offering no incentive whatsoever to even participate beyond joining the match and then idling.

It still gives decent exp, but it now actually gives you an incentive to play it. And if having rewards decided by team effort is a deal-breaker for some people, then maybe PVP isn't something they'd enjoy in the first place?

Having rewards decided by individual effort would make a lot more sense to fulfilling that stated goal, is more my feeling, and a change I wouldn't have a problem with. I don't really like nerfs that hit things out of my control.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Having rewards decided by individual effort would make a lot more sense to fulfilling that stated goal, is more my feeling, and a change I wouldn't have a problem with. I don't really like nerfs that hit things out of my control.

What's the difference between queuing for PvP, getting a bad team, and losing, versus queuing for something like Trials Roulette, getting a bad group, and disbanding after several wipes?

Other than the fact that PvP still gives you exp for losing, just a little less, i mean.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

The bad trial roulette situation is pretty rare, and losing in rando PVP groups happens about 2/3rds of the time?

These aren't equivalent situations.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

ilifinicus posted:

they don't want tanks to do more damage than DPS jobs

which they easily can do now if the dps player is a moron

They'll be hard pressed to make anyone do less damage than the numerous bad DPS players short of taking a hammer to their fingers.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Bonfire Lit posted:

We got one pedal and two bolts off V1.

No, that chart is what order in which to take loot for "optimum" results.

This is what you're looking for, a table of what drops where. Also goon-made.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

The bad trial roulette situation is pretty rare, and losing in rando PVP groups happens about 2/3rds of the time?

These aren't equivalent situations.

The point is that FFXIV is primarily based around group content, and group success has usually been what decides the rewards in that content. It feels weird to expect PvP to be the exception to that

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I did a trial roulette this morning as lv67 pld. Got lakshmi, because of course I did. Both healers died as soon as the fight started (???), me and the rdm healed 80% of the fight, while he also spammed raise on people.

It was a fun experience. Took forever too, there's no enrage and people kept getting killed all the time by dumbass mistakes.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Freak Futanari posted:

The point is that FFXIV is primarily based around group content, and group success has usually been what decides the rewards in that content. It feels weird to expect PvP to be the exception to that

In PvE you're not competing with other people also trying to win the same fight, while group composition is largely out of your control.

Freak Futanari posted:

Good news. The XP change solves absolutely none of your issues :thumbsup:

orcane fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jul 4, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

orcane posted:

Good news. The XP change solves absolutely none of your issues :thumbsup:

tbh it'll probably return all the bad players to potd.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
e: nvm lmao

Minera fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 4, 2017

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Freak Futanari posted:

All great points except:
1) I don't care how good or bad an experience it is, pre-Stormblood frontlines taking 40 minutes to queue into a game with 24 people in it was a far more dire issue than people allegedly idling or not caring.
2)There was nothing to "mess up" since what existed before was the same thing, but worse.
3) They didn't address the DPS:Healer balance with this at all. It's still the best-but-now-slightly-worse way to level any class.
4) No matter what you do, there's now 48 losers per match. Odds are not in your favor no matter how many of your teammates are catching up on Netflix.

This wasn't a solution for the players, it's the result of yowling pubbies and PVP purists trying to comb through the decade+ storied chaos of battlegrounds-style MMO PVP to find some sort of input:output correlation. It's not there.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

SonicRulez posted:

The Good:
-Bhavacakra shall hit even harder which is fun for me. Please continue buffing ninja.
-That sick mount
-Allowing the UI on my PS4 to be human sized again
-The aesthetic of Omega

gently caress Off Forever:
Using the Alexander token poo poo system again. Cool, so I get to run O4 20 times in a row just praying that I can roll high enough to get my 1 body token for the week. For what purpose?

Losing the token to the shittiest pubbie in the group for the 10nth time this week builds character.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

SonicRulez posted:

Aw nuts. I liked my big damage.

It was affected by slashing, but not the trait. The change is pretty much a wash.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Obligatum VII posted:

Losing the token to the shittiest pubbie in the group for the 10nth time this week builds character.

Queue with friends hth

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Shere posted:

All great points except:
1) I don't care how good or bad an experience it is, pre-Stormblood frontlines taking 40 minutes to queue into a game with 24 people in it was a far more dire issue than people allegedly idling or not caring.
2)There was nothing to "mess up" since what existed before was the same thing, but worse.
3) They didn't address the DPS:Healer balance with this at all. It's still the best-but-now-slightly-worse way to level any class.
4) No matter what you do, there's now 48 losers per match. Odds are not in your favor no matter how many of your teammates are catching up on Netflix.

This wasn't a solution for the players, it's the result of yowling pubbies and PVP purists trying to comb through the decade+ storied chaos of battlegrounds-style MMO PVP to find some sort of input:output correlation. It's not there.

1: I'd rather have a longer queue and smaller teams if it means that the people playing are playing because they enjoy PvP, and not because it's the best exp per hour and they want to powerlevel.
2: That's subjective, personally i think PvP was better before SB. It's still decent, but they made some really weird design decisions when redoing it.
3: With more incentive to win, people might be more inclined to at least temporarily play healer just to improve their team's chances, and instead switch to the class they want to level before the match ends.
4: Yes, and the losers still get rewarded, just slightly less so. Just like how it has always been with Wolf Marks and PvP Exp.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
7 minute tank queue for ldr, dead game

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Finally got a 3rd place finish. Here are my final numbers.

At 59: 3,888,000 to level
First place 302300
Second place 216000
Third place 216000

Yes, it seems 2nd and 3rd are the same and I believe are the same or maybe slightly less than before the patch. So its not as bad as I thought.

EDIT: Just got a Draw and still got 1st place exp.

Givin fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jul 4, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Minrad posted:

7 minute tank queue for ldr, dead game

With healers having to actually pay a bit of attention in SB content, slight tank queues are probably going to start being a thing every now and then. I've seen tons of healers in DF exdr runs during HW who'd just sit there and spam cure 1/physick on everything including big pulls and it worked way too well.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Kettlepip posted:

One of the problems, and it's the same everywhere, is once you've got your 310 set/s, there's no current reason to run expert roulette. It'll get a bit better as soon as the new tome goes in.

Well... the EXDR dungeons do throw materia at you and if you're lucky, it's rank 6s. So there's that at least.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Freak Futanari posted:

2: That's subjective, personally i think PvP was better before SB. It's still decent, but they made some really weird design decisions when redoing it.
Why?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

When simplifying the PvP battle system, they removed a lot of class utility and tactical options in favor of one-button combos. Some jobs suffered more heavily from this than others, but nearly every class lost a lot depth and complexity. And that was the good kind of complexity, where you had a lot of options for approaching different situations and a lot of interesting PvP-exclusive tools to use. It's now a lot less hectic in terms of execution, and probably a lot more beginner-friendly, but it also reduces the gameplay to just gathering into a murderball, marking a target, and then having everyone mash their attack button.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I used to not AFK in PVP but now that I'm almost guaranteed to get less exp 66% of the time I might as well afk.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm glad they'll roll the one button per combo thing into pve in the next expansion.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Truga posted:

I'm glad they'll roll the one button per combo thing into pve in the next expansion.

I played Bard in HW, be careful what you wish for

(Bard owns in SB)

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Freak Futanari posted:

When simplifying the PvP battle system, they removed a lot of class utility and tactical options in favor of one-button combos. Some jobs suffered more heavily from this than others, but nearly every class lost a lot depth and complexity. And that was the good kind of complexity, where you had a lot of options for approaching different situations and a lot of interesting PvP-exclusive tools to use. It's now a lot less hectic in terms of execution, and probably a lot more beginner-friendly, but it also reduces the gameplay to just gathering into a murderball, marking a target, and then having everyone mash their attack button.
Buuuuullshit. Having the full suite of PVE abilities in PVP was a mess, since shock of shocks having tanks and healers set up with multiple cooldowns and options made for an intolerable goddamn slog. Let alone having a bunch of extra PVP cooldowns on top of your three hotbars filled with your PVE abilities. This is not good complexity! The only people it was better for was premades on voice chat stomping people who couldn't coordinate as well.

Stormblood PVP is faster, more accessible, has fronts that actually move, and has kills actually be a deciding factor in Shatter for once. All you lose is not having another dozen buttons to juggle. This is good.

Also,

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I used to not AFK in PVP but now that I'm almost guaranteed to get less exp 66% of the time I might as well afk.
This is the actual consequence of the change. It's a hard thing to reliably quantify but I wouldn't be surprised to actually see more AFKers than there were before, on top of queues taking five or ten minutes longer as people give up bothering after repeatedly losing. I have a lifetime win rate of around 44% and not only is that obviously a crazy anomaly it still means I'm losing more than half the time.

Truga posted:

Unironically agreed. The game would be a lot better if it was designed and balanced closer to the current PVP design. Although realistically you'd probably want to add a few cooldowns and similar things back in to allow for more varied encounter design with tankbusters, burn phases, and such that PVP doesn't really have equivalents for.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Truga posted:

For Monks, the indignities never end

Asimo posted:

Buuuuullshit. Having the full suite of PVE abilities in PVP was a mess, since shock of shocks having tanks and healers set up with multiple cooldowns and options made for an intolerable goddamn slog. Let alone having a bunch of extra PVP cooldowns on top of your three hotbars filled with your PVE abilities. This is not good complexity! The only people it was better for was premades on voice chat stomping people who couldn't coordinate as well.

Stormblood PVP is faster, more accessible, has fronts that actually move, and has kills actually be a deciding factor in Shatter for once. All you lose is not having another dozen buttons to juggle. This is good.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuullshit, the old PvP style was way better, because you had to actually think about what you were doing and which skills and cooldowns you used, instead of mashing the autocombo button until either you or the other guy mashing his own autocombo button keels over dead. The only people new PvP is better for is people who somehow failed to grasp that MMOs, in fact, sometimes expect you to press several - and sometimes even many! - buttons

Freak Futanari fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jul 4, 2017

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The Raid was extremely good.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Monks are the only class where combos are actually meaningful.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Freak Futanari posted:

gathering into a murderball, marking a target, and then having everyone mash their attack button.

So literally the same as it was before then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Asimo posted:

Unironically agreed. The game would be a lot better if it was designed and balanced closer to the current PVP design. Although realistically you'd probably want to add a few cooldowns and similar things back in to allow for more varied encounter design with tankbusters, burn phases, and such that PVP doesn't really have equivalents for.

TBH I don't mind having 3000 buttons to press, I just think the main rotation combo thing shouldn't be more than a few buttons (which is why I play BLM when I DPS, where I push 2-3 GCD buttons during fire phase and 3 during ice phase).