Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Buy the models, paint them if you feel like it, play Deadzone, Scrappers, or any of a dozen other games, or play Firefight knowing it has warts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?

NTRabbit posted:

Pretty much! Or the FAQs might roll out most of the kinks, if the current way to play works for you.

You can get the sourcebook alone digitally, but if you want it in print you have to buy the rules combo. Still, it's not like the rules are a hundred bucks a pop.

Sounds reasonable: I much prefer physical books to digital: let's just hope a future edition doesn't invalidate all the tokens/dice though. :ohdear:

Atlas Hugged posted:

Buy the models, paint them if you feel like it, play Deadzone, Scrappers, or any of a dozen other games, or play Firefight knowing it has warts.

Sounds reasonable. I'm wanting the Enforcers for Deadzone/Firefight as their fluff sounds pretty fun, but I know there's supposed to be a more "regular sci-fi human" faction, GCPS or something? Are there pictures floating around of them? I'd like to use them as stand-in Imperial Guard as well as Firefight. . . .

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Xarlaxas posted:

Sounds reasonable. I'm wanting the Enforcers for Deadzone/Firefight as their fluff sounds pretty fun, but I know there's supposed to be a more "regular sci-fi human" faction, GCPS or something? Are there pictures floating around of them? I'd like to use them as stand-in Imperial Guard as well as Firefight. . . .

The old GCPS guys were pretty much not-Cadians, the new ones are 'war on terror in space' and they have a hover tank coming some time in the future

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jun 24, 2017

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The GCPS are basically all hard plastic and metal right? Do they have any restic or resin?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Atlas Hugged posted:

The GCPS are basically all hard plastic and metal right? Do they have any restic or resin?

It's all hard plastic, except for a couple metal HQs, and the heavy weapons team which is a crew made from the hard plastic sprues, with some alternate metal arms and metal guns/tripod. The Mule 4x4 was originally meant to be resin, but the pledge manager orders were of sufficient volume to justify hard plastic tooling, which is ace.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

NTRabbit posted:

It's all hard plastic, except for a couple metal HQs, and the heavy weapons team which is a crew made from the hard plastic sprues, with some alternate metal arms and metal guns/tripod. The Mule 4x4 was originally meant to be resin, but the pledge manager orders were of sufficient volume to justify hard plastic tooling, which is ace.

Oh the Strider would be resin or restic, whatever the Enforcer one is, since it's actually the same kit and every Strider comes with the components to make it an Enforcer, Reb, Plague, or GCPS one. But the small to medium restic vehicles are all easy to work with and paint up well.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I just came back to edit my post about exactly that, the Strider is the only restic in the army (with some metal weapon options). Fortunately the strider is big enough the the resticc is ok with it.

Hopefully the Hover Tank is hard plastic, when they get around to making it. All the other large vehicles being hard plastic bodes well for that.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

The old GCPS guys were pretty much not-Cadians, the new ones are 'war on terror in space' and they have a hover tank coming some time in the future

Whoa, those are gorgeous minis: they definitely will suit my purposes. I guess their release date is sometime near the end of this year/start of the next?

Mostly hard plastic is even better too!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Xarlaxas posted:

Whoa, those are gorgeous minis: they definitely will suit my purposes. I guess their release date is sometime near the end of this year/start of the next?

Mostly hard plastic is even better too!

So backers already have the troops in hand, and the Striders have been out since Deadzone 1E, but the Mule and the flyer are still to come, so I think Mantic is holding off on retail until they have enough elements to put the army starter/reserve/mega force deals together, later this year but no specific date yet.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

So backers already have the troops in hand, and the Striders have been out since Deadzone 1E, but the Mule and the flyer are still to come, so I think Mantic is holding off on retail until they have enough elements to put the army starter/reserve/mega force deals together, later this year but no specific date yet.

Makes sense. God, I'm going to be smuggling a lot of minis back from the UK next year at this rate. . . .

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Worth mentioning that the torsos are unisex, and the sprues come with male and female heads; and the same sprue makes both Marines and Rangers, with the rangers officially having the closed face helmets and the alternative rifle

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 24, 2017

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

That's even more awesome, unisex torsos (makes sense) male/female heads, all helmets if you want, weapons for two unit types, and it's hard plastic! :monocle:

GW should really just dump their Cadian moulds in the rubbish and hire Mantic to make their Imperial Guard for them. :v:

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Man, played some Deadzone and I really struggled to deal with Plague putting 0VP zombies on every objective and flinging Terradons in my face. How do I deal with that? Just swap out my Cyphers for Marionettes so I have more bodies on the table?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

How does the KOW historicals line up against the KOW fantasy in games? As I understand it, they are cross-compatible. I have a bunch of samurai and soon napoleonic dudes I want to use in all of my massed ranked games. I have no problem using them as "kingdoms of men" or whatever they're called in KOW fantasy but I also want to field them as napoleon's grognards fighting against giant trolls. :mrgw:

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

How does the KOW historicals line up against the KOW fantasy in games? As I understand it, they are cross-compatible. I have a bunch of samurai and soon napoleonic dudes I want to use in all of my massed ranked games. I have no problem using them as "kingdoms of men" or whatever they're called in KOW fantasy but I also want to field them as napoleon's grognards fighting against giant trolls. :mrgw:

I've actually heard that the. . . Mongols (I think) are considered more powerful than all the fantasy races, and are banned from some tournaments, so, there shouldn't be any issues of the Historicals being too weak compared to the Giant trolls. I'd say give it a shot and let us know how it goes, it would certainly be fun! :)

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

relax, a photo's not gonna make any difference

As I understand it, they're meant to be interchangeable - I believe the Historicals book, which I've only skimmed so far, says as much.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

It does, they use exactly the same rules, same special rules etc.

There's even a section in the Historicals book with the spells and some generic "monster" stats for, I guess, the mythical stuff, but that's optional.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Xarlaxas posted:

I've actually heard that the. . . Mongols (I think) are considered more powerful than all the fantasy races, and are banned from some tournaments

I'm not surprised. The Mongol Horse Archers are the best ranged unit in the game and can be taken as a Regiment so are very spammable.

KOW Historicals vs Fantasy should be fine, I'm planning on trying out the historical rules for my Dogs of War army and allying in a few fantasy units for the ones that don't quite fit.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I played some Deadzone yesterday with Asterians. How the gently caress do you deal with Plague just making GBS threads 0 VP zombies on every objective? I can beat his big dudes by dumping toxic smokescreens on them and punching them in the face with Cyphers, but I don't have enough actions to handle the amount of bodies they can put out? It's frustrating as hell. Do I just switch to Marionettes?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Xarlaxas posted:

It does, they use exactly the same rules, same special rules etc.

There's even a section in the Historicals book with the spells and some generic "monster" stats for, I guess, the mythical stuff, but that's optional.

I'm definitely planning some wizards and dragons once the rising sun board game is released. That'll have tons of minis.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I posted:

Can you tell me what happened with the Kings of War painting competition that ran until May 28?
It's still listed under events on your website, but I haven't been able to find anything about the results anywhere.

Mantic posted:

Unfortunately, we didn't receive many entries for the competition - so we're going to relaunch again and have people enter individual units and heroes.

Keep your eye on the blog/social media for more details!

Kind regards,

The Mantic Team
Come on Mantic. I like you guys but at least announce it to the people who did enter the competition instead of just pretending like it never happened. Maybe promote it next time you run something.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Welp, the countdown for the wayland games reserve forces ran down to zero, and now it says "restock expected." I guess it'll be a long time before I see my tank.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Seldom Posts posted:

Welp, the countdown for the wayland games reserve forces ran down to zero, and now it says "restock expected." I guess it'll be a long time before I see my tank.

At least it'll be rad when you get it?

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Seldom Posts posted:

I think I (or someone else, or many people) have said previously: never buy anything from Wayland unless it says it's in stock, or you are happy to wait a few months before it gets shipped.

They used to be even worse, because they would list things as in stock (not stating the quantity) and just give a delivery estimate for each item: from the delivery estimate you could decipher whether "in stock" meant "we have it in our warehouse" or "we can get our distributor to send us one, when you order it, then we'll ship it to you when it arrives. :geno:

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I was warned, and was not going to order from them, but then the "reserve forces" popped up on Mantic's own page, so I figured the odds were good. Plus there was a hefty discount.

I wonder if Mantic is holding their order from wayland to keep wayland from undercutting them? There's like a 12 pound difference between the two, which is like 25 beaver dollars.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
It seems to be fairly typical practice in this industry to ship from the manufacturer to direct orders at the same time as shipping from manufacturer to distributors. That then goes to retailers and finally to their customers.

So buying direct is usually faster but you pay full RRP.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Update on all the oustanding vehicles

Veer-myn Tunnel Runners and Forge Father Hultrs - we are expecting these to be delivered to our warehouse any day now and they'll be dispatched as soon as possible.

Veer-myn Tunneller - this was the vehicle we sent to the new manufacturer to test their capability to produce the remaining vehicles. We've had the final prototype through and we're pleased with the results, so the manufacturing process has now started on the Tunneller. Once complete we'll get them sent to our UK warehouse as soon as possible and will begin shipping

Asterian Chira Transport, GCPS/Plague Mule, GCPS/Plague Hornet Dropship - now we're happy with the new manufacturer, this will be sent for tooling and the manufacturing process can begin. We expect to deliver this to Kickstarter backers at the end of the year

So extrapolating
  • Veer-myn reserve and mega forces to hit retail right after they dispatch to backers, in a month or two
  • GCPS and Plague starter, reserve, and mega forces, retail Xmas/NY
  • Asterian reserve and mega forces, retail Xmas/NY

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

So extrapolating
  • Veer-myn reserve and mega forces to hit retail right after they dispatch to backers, in a month or two
  • GCPS and Plague starter, reserve, and mega forces, retail Xmas/NY
  • Asterian reserve and mega forces, retail Xmas/NY

Well, I know where my money's going around the New Year :getin: glorious Space Troopers and Rat Men.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
I just got my dwarf tank, and while I'm sad the boarding ramp doesn't open up like the enforcer dropship, it's a fun little boxy future dwarf tank. I don't know if there are in-game rules for the cowcatcher on the front of the tank or not, but it looks too menacing to build it without using the part.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Oh for gently caress's sake I'm going to have to negotiate another address change.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Weirdo posted:

I just got my dwarf tank, and while I'm sad the boarding ramp doesn't open up like the enforcer dropship, it's a fun little boxy future dwarf tank. I don't know if there are in-game rules for the cowcatcher on the front of the tank or not, but it looks too menacing to build it without using the part.

I mean, you can build them however you like, rule of cool and magnets and all, but the cowcatcher officially goes with the Brandr Urban Assault Vehicle (flamethrower tank), and grants it the Mobile Defences rule, which gives the vehicle cover when in the open, and reduces AP by 1 when in actual cover as well. Same rule as the shields Enforcers use.

Hull with quad gun = Sturnhammer Hagall
Hull with big twin gun = Sturnhammer Hata
Hull with alternate upper hull = Drakkar APC
Hull with single gun and cowcatcher = Brandr Urban Assault Vehicle

Atlas Hugged posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake I'm going to have to negotiate another address change.

What did you do to make INTERPOL chase you so doggedly anyway?

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 5, 2017

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Atlas Hugged posted:

Address changes during a Kickstarter? :ohdear:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Xarlaxas posted:

Address changes during a Kickstarter? :ohdear:

Second change.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

NTRabbit posted:

I mean, you can build them however you like, rule of cool and magnets and all, but the cowcatcher officially goes with the Brandr Urban Assault Vehicle (flamethrower tank), and grants it the Mobile Defences rule, which gives the vehicle cover when in the open, and reduces AP by 1 when in actual cover as well. Same rule as the shields Enforcers use.

What did you do to make INTERPOL chase you so doggedly anyway?

Doesn't the urban assault vehicle build also give it an assault stat that the other ones don't have? I seem to recall that it had some other difference as well that was consistent with being able to ram stuff.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Seldom Posts posted:

Doesn't the urban assault vehicle build also give it an assault stat that the other ones don't have? I seem to recall that it had some other difference as well that was consistent with being able to ram stuff.

It also gets 8 dice at AP 4 for melee, ie ramming, compared to 6 dice at AP 3 for the Sturnhammer

Well yeah, the Brandr is also a light transport (5), and in firefight gets Area Effect (can make a second shot at another target within 6" of the first), Blast (2D3) (damage multiplier), Saturation (always hits on a +3), Slow Reload (can't blaze away), Volatile (2+) (if damaged, takes another point of damage on a 1 from 1d6) from the gun, and Fire in the Hole! (no charge reactions from charged targets), Headstrong (-1 suppression on activation), and Mobile Defences.

The regular Sturnhammers only get Headstrong, though the Hata gets anti-tank, which is an extra damage d6 for any damage roll of +5 when shooting at vehicles, without the rule units it's on a 6.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

NTRabbit posted:

Good to know! Turns out I splurged for three tanks, as the other two arrived today :killdozer:

I've played around with some magnets and I think I'll be able to magnetize 4 turrets for two of them, with the APC as the third.

Weirdo fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 7, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I am also expecting 3 tanks, but mine haven't been sent yet I don't think, because I'm also expecting 3 Hultr half-track trikes

Bunch of new releases for KoW this month, including the Tree Herder, Vampire on Undead Pegasus, a factory version of the home made magic spell ad magical artefact cards that are popular, and the new 2 player starter at a very friendly price

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 7, 2017

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
This is good to see because it feels like forever since they've had any major releases. I guess this is the downside to the way they run their business through Kickstarter. They do a ton of design at one time and then everything suddenly goes into production and the whole office has to flip into shipping mode, then things settle down and they can do a bit of work on normal releases before Kickstarter spins back up again.

On the one hand, it's nice to get a handful of factions all released simultaneously with continuous releases for them throughout the year, but I also kind of miss GW being able to put out a basically complete army every month while still also doing minor releases for other factions.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Studio paint job on the new tree

Looks like it's definitely on the right size base, 50x50

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
That looks way better than the production photos they were showing before.