Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Freak Futanari posted:

Okay, look. Let me try to demonstrate what i mean with an example.

Let's say that i'm playing MNK in pre-SB PvP. First off, the idea of a main rotation flies out the window, since this is PvP and you can't reasonably expect to be able to always have somebody in front of you to punch. So you need to put more thought into each move in your combo, and whether the buffs/debuffs are worth applying right now. If you're just harassing the enemy team without currently focusing someone down, then you might want to spread some Dragon Kicks, One Ilm Punch off some buffs (knock the Aetherflow off the SCH for extra Fun), and maybe put some demolishes on people too. If you start getting focused, hit Fists of Earth, and if necessary Fetter Ward and Purify to make sure you can back to your healers to get patched up. Once your team DOES focus someone down, hit Fists of Fire and start hitting them with the upfront damage combo skills. Throw some stuns in there to keep them rooted in place, and if they build stun resistance and try to make a run for it, catch up with them with either Sprint or Fists of Wind (which was actually really handy in pre-SB PvP for catching up with people, since meleeing someone who's moving away from you could be pretty frustrating). If melee DPS start focusing down someone on your team, hit Axe Kick to pacify them, and take advantage of the free GL3 to do a Tornado Kick beforehand, if you already had GL3 at the time. Make sure to Somersault the enemy healers on CD to keep their spell speed debuffed as much as possible. Whenever Perfect Balance is up, use it to either build GL3 if you're about to burst someone, or to spread some One Ilm Punches if people on the enemy team just used their cooldowns. When your LB is ready, make sure Fetter Ward is up before using it.

Now, let's say i'm playing MNK in SB PvP. Use your Demolish combo on the target once, then repeat your Bootshine combo while using Somersault as many times as your TP allows, then use Forbidden Chakra. Use Riddle of Earth if people start punching you, even though it won't help you very much, and i guess use Riddle of Fire if you're for some reason only going to be able to hit someone very rarely.

And that's just one job. Like i said earlier, some jobs suffered more than others, but i don't think removing this many layers of strategy makes for very compelling gameplay. It reduces the barrier for entry at the cost of putting the skill ceiling and the skill floor at pretty much the same place.

How often were you actually able to execute 11 GCDs in a row on a target in "old PVP" and how much of this is theorycraft?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I never understood why people cared that much about tank threat in low level dungeons. It's usually not a big deal if the DPS or healer ends up tanking a loose mob unless it happens during a big pull

The question is not whether it actually matters, it's whether it feels like it matters, and it does. Some starry-eyed newbie who wants to tank is gonna be a little miffed if they're told "nah, don't worry about it for another fifteen or twenty levels."

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Verranicus posted:

Glad I got the Garo mount from Frontlines while queues were still instant, I guess.

it's still better and more entertaining than potd, so I'm sure queue will stay fast. feast queues for 8v8 were mostly instant in my experience, even when it gave much worse exp.

pvp fun too.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

I prefer the new pvp system because it lets me focus more on situational awareness and tactical decisions.

Ever since i broke both my legs, i have not had to chew bubble gum and walk at the same time. I can now focus entirely on chewing bubble gum

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

World War Mammories posted:

The question is not whether it actually matters, it's whether it feels like it matters, and it does. Some starry-eyed newbie who wants to tank is gonna be a little miffed if they're told "nah, don't worry about it for another fifteen or twenty levels."

yeah this

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

I was going to type something but this poster said it better.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c

Freak Futanari posted:

Ever since i broke both my legs, i have not had to chew bubble gum and walk at the same time. I can now focus entirely on chewing bubble gum

Focusing on rotations in 72 man fuckfests is dumb as poo poo.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Freak Futanari posted:

imo in order to pvp you should have to type all your actions as commands.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

This is pretty much why it needed to be changed. As a sprout tank, looking over and seeing threat meters at a good level, even against level synched DPS is a good feeling and will make people actually want to main those classes without worrying about every dungeon run being a white knuckle fight to keep agro.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

How often were you actually able to execute 11 GCDs in a row on a target in "old PVP" and how much of this is theorycraft?

There's a difference between doing 11 GCDs in a row, in the PvE sense of "no downtime between each GCD" and 11 GCDs in a row as in "you don't drop your MNK stance in between each attack". I don't see how people have such a hard time grasping that PvP simply plays differently than PvE, but i guess it would explain a lot if people keep trying to play it as a regular PvE fight

pray for my aunt posted:

Focusing on rotations in 72 man fuckfests is dumb as poo poo.

Which is why it's a good thing that rotations were never a focus in PvP. It's not like PvE where you gotta do the perfect sick deeps opener and then cross-check your skill speed with the Wikipedia page for Optimal Rotations For The Dragoon or whatever. In PvP your combos were about which effects would be more useful right now, instead of trying to keep all effects active at the same time

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

SKULL.GIF posted:

Getting 11 GCDs off on a target only ever happened against big ice in the 8v8v8 shatter, and even that's a stretch.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

Yoship Teaches Typing

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Freak Futanari posted:

I don't normally have to press three dozen keys in the correct order just to walk like some kind of hellish QWOP man.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

PvP should be replaced with RPvRP, and every attack should be carefully described with /em

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Freak Futanari posted:

PvP should be replaced with RPvRP, and every attack should be carefully described with /em

Sounds vastly better than pre-SB PvP.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

The whole "complexity" thing in old PvP is dumb (and also entirely wrong) because a single healer could out heal and entire party's damage.

All your stupid loving theorycrafting couldn't defeat my autohotkey macro that pushes "1" every 2.35 seconds.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Oxyclean posted:

Whats the 60-68 AOE roation look like?

It feels bad not being able to do the one thing your role is supposed to do?

I have been doing F3 -> Flare -> Transpose -> B4 (with enochian up) > T4 > F3 > Flare > Transpose, which I am pretty sure is optimal with enochian up as it gives your transpose time to regen and keeps the T4 ticks going.

Insert more flares before transpose as you have convert, ether and or the trait available. Use any procced T4s. If you will have more than one flare you can drop the T4 out if it doesn't need a refresh and hasn't procced. You should Swiftcast the flare immediately before transpose when you have it up so that you can transpose earlier in the GCD.

E: the B4 only matters if you have the trait that allows double flare with hearts, otherwise you can probably skip it

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Astroniomix posted:

The whole "complexity" thing in old PvP is dumb (and also entirely wrong) because a single healer could out heal and entire party's damage.

All your stupid loving theorycrafting couldn't defeat my autohotkey macro that pushes "1" every 2.35 seconds.

yeah but what if all that complexity and theorycrafting allows someone to feel like they have some arcane knowledge and are therefore better than "pubbies"

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

yeah but what if all that complexity and theorycrafting allows someone to feel like they have some arcane knowledge and are therefore better than "pubbies"

You mean this isn't the whole point of playing MMOs?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think that the biggest thing that scares people away from tanking is thinking that even the slightest failure will result in a wipe. Knowing that your role isn't quite that critical, and that you can screw up sometimes and still recover, helps a lot in alleviating that fear.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

WTF is up with these constant disconnects. Nothing else is having issues, just for FFXIV

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Zerilan posted:

Sounds vastly better than pre-SB PvP.

Well, if your roleplaying skills are as good as your posting skills, you'd still come in last place anyway

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
some people liked pvp pre stormblood. hell, some people liked 1.0

that doesnt mean they didnt deserve to be wiped from the earth

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Minrad posted:

Re-activate the coils. Bahamut's mission remains incomplete.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Old PVP was bad

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Minrad posted:

people who like new pvp should be shot

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Cao Ni Ma posted:

WTF is up with these constant disconnects. Nothing else is having issues, just for FFXIV

Tiny penile Ddos attacks.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Something something glass houses something something Stone II

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
After watching the documentary I have an appreciation for the people who played and liked 1.0 better even if they're still obviously wrong. All 15 of them. Their wallets helped keep SE floating while they started the process of building ARR

The real dumb people are the ones who never played 1.0 but still think it's better. And the 2-3.x pvp preferrers

Jinh fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 4, 2017

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Freak Futanari posted:

people who like new pvp should be shot

I'm glad people like you seem to be in the minority and most seem to like the changes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

People who like the new PvP should be shot 3 times and it should only require 1 button.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
There's something Incredible to me that even the OF knows that str tanking is the correct thing to do right now but fucknuts on Reddit are screaming up and down that full vit is better and those dirty str tanks are playing the game wrong and ruining tanking.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Aphrodite posted:

People who like the new PvP should be shot 3 times and it should only require 1 button.

I love MCH in PvP because of this. It's very cool and easy to stay in Matrix mode and shoot at mans. In fact, please remove turrets from PvE because they no longer fit the class fantasy.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Did they actually add a bit of str to tank accessories like the patch notes sort of imply with the "stat changes to equipment" bit?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Omega v3.0 is a super fun fight and even if the savage version is as brutal as Living Liquid pre-nerf I won't care because I'll be enjoying myself the whole time. Probably.

Also Cid has picked up a tendency for making really bad puns.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Freak Futanari posted:

Well, if your roleplaying skills are as good as your posting skills, you'd still come in last place anyway

i'm glad to see we've arrived at the "I know my opinion is unpopular, here are some tepid 'no u' burns" phase of the discussion :allears:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Jinh posted:

Did they actually add a bit of str to tank accessories like the patch notes sort of imply with the "stat changes to equipment" bit?

No, and I have no idea what they changed, if anything.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They raised all piety values by 1.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

i'm glad to see we've arrived at the "I know my opinion is unpopular, here are some tepid 'no u' burns" phase of the discussion :allears:

You mean the same phase most other people started at from the moment i dared try to explain why i disagreed with them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
The only change they should make to pvp is triple exp rewards, grant tomestones even when not playing a 70 job, and add a poo poo ton of glamour and furniture and minions to be bought