Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
How does gravity goo get "turned off"?

How does gravity goo affect incoming projectiles?

How does gravity goo react to a pipe leak and thus floating out into space?

Is it possible to store up large amounts of gravity goo? Can you crash said ship into a space station and cause a super massive black hole to form? Can you extract gravity goo from a red ball in an alien ship from a well-known franchise by an old guy to stop a procedurally generated supernova before being hunted down by an evil dude who also uses the gravity goo but for nefarious purposes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

I wonder if the space mixer minigame will have gravity cocktails

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

no_recall posted:

It bugs me to hell.. WHERE DOES ALL THAT HEAT GO? Wait, I get it. Pilots are irradiated then ejected as heat sinks.

Sufficiently stimpirial.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Crackbone posted:

So what can actually do in the alpha? After 5 years of development?

You can fly a ship* around the universe** while completing quests*** in return for money****. You can play an FPS module against humans only. You can play a ship arena mode against AI only.

The FPS module, and most everything else, is super janky and generally unpleasant to play in. It becomes less playable the more people are in a match.

The arena mode for your ship is a standard "fight off generic waves of enemies" except that the AI is of the most basic of types, and combat is very dull.

*This is on a ship-by-ship basis. Not all ships work, not all ships work properly, not all ships exist.

**The universe is relatively small and, being in space, is empty. The 16 player limit on this MMO game begins to struggle when more than 0 players are active in a server.

***The quests are incredibly basic, akin to the starter quests one would get when playing an MMO. (IE: Go here, kill a handful of pirates, come back, gain 500 Space Credits) Sometimes you grab a data disk, variety is lacking.

****The money acquired in Star Citizen has very limited use, and is comparable to the income one would generate by playing Counter-Strike. There is no economy to support or expand upon what players receive, although there are a few clothing stores that will bug out in various ways.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer
I just saw a Spectrum Enterprise commercial that cycled through bunch of people looking at the camera, and then a thumb.

Welp that's my story

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I haven't paid any attention to this game in like a year or more maybe, did they ever get their game to the point where you could pick up boxes and put them in the cargo bay and maybe even open them up and put stuff inside or take stuff out of the boxes

I must know

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line

KSP mod looking good

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Lastdancer posted:

I haven't paid any attention to this game in like a year or more maybe, did they ever get their game to the point where you could pick up boxes and put them in the cargo bay and maybe even open them up and put stuff inside or take stuff out of the boxes

I must know

Just wait for 3.0.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Nobody visits your forum Derek, just post your feelings here sans quotes already.

:lol: I didn't even knew he had a forum.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Do you think redchris is smart enough

No.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Libluini posted:

Well, you see, he created it after he got banned here because he couldn't post the census versions on twitter fast enough.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Libluini posted:

It's more of a blog than a forum since he's the only one posting in it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lladre posted:

It's more of a blog livejournal than a forum since he's the only one posting in it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Xaerael posted:

I've seen farts burn longer.

Makes sense when the planet is smaller in diameter than the Moon.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Lastdancer posted:

I must know

No, but you can nudge a vending machine. It hear other players sometimes might even see you nudging something. Mind they can't interact/possibly see what you have done, but early days and all that.

The Pi dude
Oct 19, 2013
Buglord

Drunk Theory posted:

No, but you can nudge a vending machine.

Once again, Star Citizen copies Derek Smart.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sabreseven posted:

Didn't this exact same thing happen about two years ago? A bloke went to CIG and was gushing all over Star Marine (the old one, not the shity one) and all the new SC content, that still hasn't been shown. :shrug:

They're ridiculously good at pulling the wool over people's eyes when they really work hard on it. Lee Hutchinson, the senior tech editor over at Ars, has been happily carrying CIG's water for them for years. He's also been saying for like three months that he's got an article ready to go that should debunk everyone's fears about the game, but every time he's asked when he'll actually publish it, he clams up and says that "things are in motion" or whatever (which is a pretty blatant way of saying it's a planted story and CIG won't let him publish it without their approval).

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Well, you see, he created it after he got banned here because he couldn't post the census versions on twitter fast enough.

Nonsense.

I always had a Wordpress forum (which is still up and now being used only to post non-blog articles) which I setup because comments (disabled) in the blog articles were bogging down the site.

Because the forum is a Wordpress plugin (bbPress), the performance is horrid. So I disabled commenting on that as well.

Then I installed a new Simple Machine Forum, which is way better. I couldn't export the data from the Wordpress bbPress forum, so I left it up, and just use it now for non-blog articles, while using the SMF one for chat and such. That's why I now have two forums, one of which is read-only.

The rest is history.

Lladre posted:

It's more of a blog than a forum since he's the only one posting in it.

Said the quintessential forum moron who never has a clue about anything.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 4, 2017

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Derek quoted me and attempted to set the record straight by claiming he did something first.

Called it :grin:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Timby posted:

They're ridiculously good at pulling the wool over people's eyes when they really work hard on it. Lee Hutchinson, the senior tech editor over at Ars, has been happily carrying CIG's water for them for years. He's also been saying for like three months that he's got an article ready to go that should debunk everyone's fears about the game, but every time he's asked when he'll actually publish it, he clams up and says that "things are in motion" or whatever (which is a pretty blatant way of saying it's a planted story and CIG won't let him publish it without their approval).

He doesn't have a story, and never did.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
The Master of None

quote:

An extreme example would be to compare, say, House of the Dying Sun with Star Citizen. House of the Dying Sun is a pared-back, bare-bones space combat simulator reminiscent of the old X-Wing Vs. Tie Fighter games. It offers a modest selection of short, intense dogfighting missions and literally nothing else. Meanwhile the harried Star Citizen devs are modelling everything from office furniture to working toilets, and the space combat side of things, ostensibly the beating heart of the game, has kind of fallen by the wayside.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I agree, its pretty extreme comparing a released game with functional features and mechanics to its exact opposite.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

Said the quintessential forum moron who never has a clue about anything.

Nobody's going to register on your site just to see that link.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Virtual Captain posted:

“If you are a dreamer come in, If you are a dreamer a wisher a liar, A hoper a pray-er a magic-bean-buyer, If youre a pretender com sit by my fire, For we have some flax, golden tales to spin, Come in! Come in!”

CR gave the exact same answer 3 years ago, how deep do these backers insist on dreaming?

Question: I have a question about ship cargo capacities. How strictly will they be "enforced"? My DUR Freelancer has a stated capacity of 148 freight units. Let's say that I accidentally (or deliberately) try to load 148.5 freight units of cargo. Will there be flashing red lights and warning sirens telling me that I can't load that much cargo or will I be allowed to load it anyway?
Answer: Well actually the way that our freight units work, is they're actually volume units. So originally we were talking about how many tons of cargo you could carry, but we sort of quickly realized that at a certain level, the tonnage is much less important than the volume, in terms of us building the ships and what they can fit inside. So we came up with a standardized container system at different levels, and so when it's 148, or 20, or 40, or whatever… that's actually talking about the units that can fit in the cargo hold. And so if the DUR Freelancer can fit 148, it won't be able to fit more than 148 - that's the most you can fit. Now of course, how much each one of those units weigh will be an issue, right? So if you're trying to fly with solid gold instead of, I dunno, 148 pieces of… err… whatever would be light - your ship would fly differently in space. And I don't know if we'd have a maximum takeoff load criteria that would prevent you, saying "oh no, you can't actually take that much mass," but basically the freight units is all about the volume and whether you can fit those pieces of volume in there. But in terms of the mass, maximum takeoff, all that stuff, we haven't really figured that out yet. So I don't know - there probably won't, but if there was that's where they would sort of, "hey, you can't take off with that level of mass." I mean we could probably just have you take off with whatever the mass stuff is, and then you're just a really slow ship, which is probably what the solution is as the moment, and we'll make it more sophisticated going down the way.

Haha this is dumb. Just use tonnage you fuckwit.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

It's weird that they're so happy "their" Chris Roberts is still alive, given he's the single biggest thing holding the project back.

... ok, Ben is physically the biggest thing, but Croberts causes the most problems.

Ben fat

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Race to the bottom of Chris Roberts.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

alphabettitouretti posted:

Haha this is dumb. Just use tonnage you fuckwit.

Someone should tell him you are in space and nothing weighs anything

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Jettison some gravity goo so we can carry more vending machines!

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
gravity goo all over my face

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Making cargo affect the game mechanics is camatose-level game design. Think about this for even one second and you can see it's insane. Get in a dogfight and take some items and you're now slower and less able to fight? What? The obvious result is nobody carrying any cargo at all.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Star Citizen should have a ship that's basically a water pistol squirting gravity goo at its enemies to crush them.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

cool new Polack jokes posted:

I'm ready to go full angry cat at this poo poo

I have less of a science background than Chris Roberts since I'm not a thumb with the mind of wide-eyed 8-year-old but

YOU NEED TWO PROTONS TO DO THAT YOU loving HUMPS

JEEEEEZUS

I cant take this anymore

This is the "person" who "wrote" this "magazine":

https://eus-www.sway-cdn.com/s/uGfLrFesHsSDrZDp/images/qOeqyyKnTuCNWs?quality=604&allowAnimation=true

gently caress it, I'm done. I'm loving done. Everything about this project is fecal poo poo and I am so loving sick of it

https://eus-www.sway-cdn.com/s/uGfLrFesHsSDrZDp/images/FqDnCnHthWduO3?quality=1500&allowAnimation=true

gently caress OFF with this poo poo

These people should be ashamed of what they are producing. And even more ashamed to take people's money for it. That's really all there is to say about Star Citizen.

Gee, nobody tell CR about anti-matter since he'll conceive and execute the most borderline retarded explanation for it

He can't even get gravity right. The only thing stopping his arrogant, ego-inflated thumb head from floating off into space and he doesn't get it.

The kindest epitaph I could come up with for Chris: He just doesn't get it

Because nobody wants to watch Pusher :haw:

:negative:

:negative::negative::negative:

when will it stop

I just want it to end

Nice meltdown

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Sorry to doxx you like this Major Tom

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 4, 2017

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Thoatse posted:

:eyepop:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
MODS????

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

SelenicMartian posted:

Race to the bottom of Chris Roberts.

Too late. Ben already won that race and is now very firmly attached.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Thoatse posted:

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

hosed up if true

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Mr.PayDay posted:

Star Citizen: Just wait for 3.0 3.1 3.2!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
nvm

have cat

his nibs fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 4, 2017