Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Also when Riker did it it wasn't a loving realdoll of a real person.

Also it was explicitly designed to be the most lifelike hologram possible and also to be exactly his type. It's still a weird dumb male fantasy thing, but she was at least supposed to be something Riker could fall for. Geordie, meanwhile, basically just falls head over heels for a technical manual with boobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

There's a weird alternate reading where you could imagine the Enterprise computer itself creating the Leah Brahms hologram as an expression of its love for Geordi. Sort of like the Futurama episode where Bender dates the ship.

Oh, and Jeb, I can't wait till you get to Galaxy's Child and see the follow up to all this nonsense.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Geordi: "I know my ship inside and out."
Hologram engineer: "Then you must know me... inside and out."

:stare::stonk:

Blind man who flew the ship can't see how much of a creep he is.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

WampaLord posted:

Oh, and Jeb, I can't wait till you get to Galaxy's Child and see the follow up to all this nonsense.

I love how fast geordi fucks it up. If reddit existed in universe that'd be one hell of r/eltionships post.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I finished S7 yesterday and... I am somewhat sad about it all. That's it. Yeah, I got the movies still but it's not the same. Even tho S7 had some really bad lows it picked things back up near the end and All Things was a great note to go out on.

I'll miss the aesthetics of the whole thing - it just screamed 90's. Which I love. The house from The Survivors on the burned out planet was peak 90s imo. I won't miss Troi's loving terrible hair choice near the end though.

I feel ya Piard. Eugh.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 3, 2017

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

WampaLord posted:

Oh yes. And that's one of the few times TNG properly follows up an old plot thread. (besides recurring characters like Lore and Lwaxana showing up every once in a while)

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

FuturePastNow posted:

Oh yes. And that's one of the few times TNG properly follows up an old plot thread. (besides recurring characters like Lore and Lwaxana showing up every once in a while)

the one time they break for continuity they do it to own geordi

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

MisterBibs posted:

Could you provide a time code? There's a lot that could be "at the end", as the other poster said.

56:40 should do you. Sorry I wasn't more clear, but it's the very last thing before 'next time'.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Vintersorg posted:

I'll miss the aesthetics of the whole thing - it just screamed 90's. Which I love. The house from The Survivors on the burned out planet was peak 90s imo.

The Survivors aired in 1989. The Berlin Wall was still up.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I guess late 80s - early 90's aesthetic is what I am looking for.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I remember hearing the words Star Trek Apartment being bad news back in the day

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

vermin posted:

I remember hearing the words Star Trek Apartment being bad news back in the day

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

The worst part is that he wasted all of his ex-wife's money to build a Voyager set in his apartment.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Only someone mentally ill enough to enjoy voyager would do that anyway.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Cojawfee posted:

The worst part is that he wasted all of his ex-wife's money to build a Voyager set in his apartment.
Well, second-worst behind this:
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leicestershire-23994131

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Vintersorg posted:

I guess late 80s - early 90's aesthetic is what I am looking for.

It's called vaporwave.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

FuturePastNow posted:

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

the one time they break for continuity they do it to own geordi

:confused:
But... Worf's discommendation, Romulan tensions, Klingon power struggles, Sela, Hugh... Seasons 4-5, they started tiptoeing towards serialization with payoff on all things set up in the first three years. Plots still had to be resolved by the end of the episode (imagine if they'd been able to do the Klingon Civil War for a full season, DS9 style) , but they were definitely experimenting with ongoing storylines.

I know, Boob Trap sprung. :sigh:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Watching DS9, The Ship; Wow this Vorta lady's eyebrows are out of control.
e: also lol at this redyellow shirt being so shook he died.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 3, 2017

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm the disco ball.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Vintersorg posted:

I finished S7 yesterday and... I am somewhat sad about it all. That's it. Yeah, I got the movies still but it's not the same. Even tho S7 had some really bad lows it picked things back up near the end and All Things was a great note to go out on.

I'll miss the aesthetics of the whole thing - it just screamed 90's. Which I love. The house from The Survivors on the burned out planet was peak 90s imo. I won't miss Troi's loving terrible hair choice near the end though.

At least Rooms To Go survived the 24th century.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Boy is the use of ADR in Ensigns of Command any time a scene is set near that loud rear end fountain obvious.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
My favourite part of "Booby Trap" is how on a ship with a crew of over 1000 people, they had one guy working on the plan to save everyone from immenent death.

Like, seriously, what was Data doing that was more important?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Bucswabe posted:

My favourite part of "Booby Trap" is how on a ship with a crew of over 1000 people, they had one guy working on the plan to save everyone from immenent death.

Like, seriously, what was Data doing that was more important?

Dancing lessons?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Data was on the holodeck trapping birds, trying to figure out what was so special about the booby that it was the namesake for all traps.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My favourite thing about Geordi's dalliance with holodeck Brahms is that there's a subsequent episode ("Sarek", I think) where he gets into an argument with Wesley and Wesley gets in a bit of a :drat: in when he says, "Well, at least I don't need to use the holodeck to meet women!" and the only response Geordi's able to muster is, "What did you say?!" Then he punches Wesley in the face. Everybody wins.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

drat TNG on Netflix spoiled me since it was the remastered version. DS9 looks like grease was all over the camera, yuck. Also, I can't separate crazy Avery Brooks from this character and it's really jarring.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
When I was little, I liked Geordi. I thought his glasses were cool and I liked how he solved problems.
As I grow, I believe Riker had the right of it. Get laid, make friends, grow a beard: These are the things that matter.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

drat TNG on Netflix spoiled me since it was the remastered version. DS9 looks like grease was all over the camera, yuck. Also, I can't separate crazy Avery Brooks from this character and it's really jarring.

Well the good news is DS9 will never look any better so you might as well get used to it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TheScott2K posted:

Well the good news is DS9 will never look any better so you might as well get used to it.

That doesn't sound anything like good news.

Someday there will be an AI that can clean it up to 4k but then we'll all be watching 12k 5d holoTV so it will still look like poo poo to us.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

VanSandman posted:

When I was little, I liked Geordi. I thought his glasses were cool and I liked how he solved problems.
As I grow, I believe Riker had the right of it. Get laid, make friends, grow a beard: These are the things that matter.

....and let the Enterprise get boarded by the Ferengi on your watch.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

The Bloop posted:

That doesn't sound anything like good news.

Someday there will be an AI that can clean it up to 4k but then we'll all be watching 12k 5d holoTV so it will still look like poo poo to us.

I just can't enjoy media unless I'm literally a character in the story. Now I'm going to play the holonovel of My Dinner With Andre where I'm the waiter.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

TheScott2K posted:

You are wrong, plasma conduit breath.. the IndieGoGo DS9 documentary "What We Left Behind" is promising to provide some DS9 remastered clips and possible re-render of certain CGI screens in HD. It's one of their stretch goals and has already been achieved (they achieved all of their stretch goals, BTW)

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 4, 2017

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Wheat Loaf posted:

Then he punches Wesley in the face. Everybody wins.

No he didn't.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
I rewatched Cogenitor last night, it's a really good example of how effective Enterprise can be when their act is together.

There are some good officer dressing-downs in Trek history, but Archer and Trip's last scene might be the best one. It's just brutal.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Low Desert Punk posted:

I rewatched Cogenitor last night, it's a really good example of how effective Enterprise can be when their act is together.

There are some good officer dressing-downs in Trek history, but Archer and Trip's last scene might be the best one. It's just brutal.

That's, like, the one Enterprise episode I watched live and didn't regret it. An actual good episode of Star Trek from Enterprise, imagine that.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Risa is something gene made up, right? It has to be. A literal gently caress planet.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

what u think hyper advanced people wouldn't have at least one gently caress planet?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
On Risa, those extremely viscous waves upon waves washing in over the shore, let's just say they're not water

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Worf just revealed it's a crazy feat of science and throwing money away because of its elaborate weather control system; so it seems like the federation is spending mad dosh & manpower for a gently caress planet.

Couldn't it be used for other, better things? Like putting the Bajorans back in concentration camps??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Worf just revealed it's a crazy feat of science and throwing money away because of its elaborate weather control system; so it seems like the federation is spending mad dosh & manpower for a gently caress planet.

Couldn't it be used for other, better things? Like putting the Bajorans back in concentration camps??

Combine the two. Turn Bajor into the Alpha Quadrant's premier gently caress planet.