Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
You're probably looking for Sakamoto Desu Ga, or Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto. It's a graceful tale about Bayonetta's son bringing joy, wonder and enlightenment to today's youth. Not sure if it's light-hearted, but it's either hilarious or emotional, depending on how you choose to look at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

HenryEx posted:

You're probably looking for Sakamoto Desu Ga, or Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto. It's a graceful tale about Bayonetta's son bringing joy, wonder and enlightenment to today's youth. Not sure if it's light-hearted, but it's either hilarious or emotional, depending on how you choose to look at it.

Yeah,that's it! I've been racking my brain all day.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Tsuritama has been my go-to feel good anime for a number of years.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Both Nichijou and Daily Lives of Highschooĺ Boys will cheer you right the hell up.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Knorth posted:

The Sakamoto show was pretty funny and light but I didn't see a whole lot of it. Flying Witch is a very easygoing and often sweet show though, maybe give that a shot too

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Maybe try Alice to Zouroku. It starts out being about a secret organization and people with superpowers but (mild spoilers) quickly derails into being about a little girl getting adopted by the World's Best Grandpa.

Also seconding Flying Witch. If the above sounds like maybe it's too high-stakes then just go with that.

Nate RFB posted:

Tsuritama has been my go-to feel good anime for a number of years.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Both Nichijou and Daily Lives of Highschooĺ Boys will cheer you right the hell up.

Alright, thanks for the input. I think I'll start with Sakamoto,mostly because my friend has been telling me to watch it nonstop. Then I'll give Flying Witches a go. Then I'll see where I go from there.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Carnival Phantasm, the pinnacle of Type-Moon.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Brainamp posted:

Carnival Phantasm, the pinnacle of Type-Moon.

OK,that looks AMAZING. Added to the list.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

VolticSurge posted:

So I'm looking for a lighthearted anime, can be any kind. Mostly because I've been through a messy patch. So far only thing I've had suggested to me by a friend is a thing called Something Something Sakamoto. (Can't remember the actual title right now. All I recall is that the word Sakamoto was involved.)

Patlabor. Not the second or third movie though.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

VolticSurge posted:

Alright, thanks for the input. I think I'll start with Sakamoto,mostly because my friend has been telling me to watch it nonstop. Then I'll give Flying Witches a go. Then I'll see where I go from there.

Sakamoto is okay, it suffers from really only having one joke and I got tired of it really fast. Probably the best show in that style is Cromartie High School.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

VolticSurge posted:

So I'm looking for a lighthearted anime, can be any kind.

*puts on Namtab cosplay*

Watch K-ON!

*carefully removes Namtab cosplay*

Also check out ACCA, Silver Spoon, Barakamon.

I really liked Sakamoto desu ga, but it's the type of humor that you either love or hate and you won't know until you watch it. an actual dog is right that it only really has one joke, but the comedy comes from pulling that joke off in increasingly absurd ways. It had me out of breath laughing almost every episode, while my friend hated it immediately so YMMV.

I'll also second the folks who said Daily Lives of Highschool Boys, Nichijou, and the Patlabor TV series or OVAs.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I wouldn't recommend Patlabor for someone just looking for straight light-hearted fun, because at the end of the day it is meant to be a police/SWAT series with giant robots, and it does actually remember that sometimes.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

watch psi saiki instead of sakamoto

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Konosuba is always good for a laugh if you haven't watched it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I think it's okay to ask here. Does Case Closed reach some sort of resolution to its main premise in a timely manner? I like it so far but I'm hoping the plot eventually advances. The fact that there are 8 million episodes and counting scares me, and I'm afraid it's just a series of mostly independent cases.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 4, 2017

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
It is just a series of mostly independent cases. The main plot (the men in black who poisoned the protagonist trying to kill him, causing the shrinkage) comes about once in a while.

To explain further: we're sitting now at more than 800 episode, and about one in ten advances the main plot.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Ugh, thanks. ATM I'd prefer something with a slightly more imminent finality.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I once did the math, and the plot moves so slow compared to the side cases that the case closed kid would have had to personally solve more than half of all the murders that take place in tokyo over the like, year or something comic covers.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I was just thinking that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rinkles posted:

Ugh, thanks. ATM I'd prefer something with a slightly more imminent finality.

Have you seen Erased? Because it'll probably be what you're after.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Will check it out, but I was looking for something light hearted.

Also feeling nostalgic for 90s cell shading (non digital).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rinkles posted:

Will check it out, but I was looking for something light hearted.

Also feeling nostalgic for 90s cell shading (non digital).

Excel Saga is what you want then.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah that might be okay. Saw an episode or two years ago but wasn't in the mood at the time.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Excel Saga is what you want then.

But Excel Saga was digital. I remember because they made a joke about it.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Hunt11 posted:

Konosuba is always good for a laugh if you haven't watched it.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I'm kind of bored and looking for something new. I generally like stupid, flashy action/adventure shows that let me turn off my brain for a while and unwind. I don't really mind the usual tropes that come with such stupid shows, so long as there's enough comedy mixed in with the deadpan serious poo poo. Conversely I dislike long-rear end shows that either take ages to get to anywhere, involve two billion branching plots that all come together in the end, spend 10 minutes of each episode rehashing previous ones, or poo poo like that.

So basically I like Blue Exorcist type stuff and dislike One Piece/Naruto/Bleach type stuff. I'm wondering what to put on my watch list. Preferrably stuff that's on Crunchyroll since I'm lazy. Any suggestions?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

khy posted:

I'm kind of bored and looking for something new. I generally like stupid, flashy action/adventure shows that let me turn off my brain for a while and unwind. I don't really mind the usual tropes that come with such stupid shows, so long as there's enough comedy mixed in with the deadpan serious poo poo. Conversely I dislike long-rear end shows that either take ages to get to anywhere, involve two billion branching plots that all come together in the end, spend 10 minutes of each episode rehashing previous ones, or poo poo like that.

So basically I like Blue Exorcist type stuff and dislike One Piece/Naruto/Bleach type stuff. I'm wondering what to put on my watch list. Preferrably stuff that's on Crunchyroll since I'm lazy. Any suggestions?

My Hero Academia, or ONE PUUUUUUUUUUUNCH Man.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

khy posted:

Have you seen Symphogear?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

khy posted:

Noragami is a Funi show though the first season is on CR.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

khy posted:

Symphogear, Chaika the Coffin Princess, Mob Psycho 100.

e:

Oh and yeah, as mentioned: One Punch Man (on netflix, not crunchy tho) and probably My Hero Academia as well.

VVVV :yeah:

a kitten fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 5, 2017

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Rage of Bahamut!!

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My Hero Academia, or ONE PUUUUUUUUUUUNCH Man.

Watched and enjoyed the poo poo out of both, I read the manga after MHA season 1 so I didn't feel the urge to watch season 2 but I suppose I should remedy that.

I've put Noragami on my to-watch list, and I keep meaning to check out Chaika but keep forgetting.

Mob Psycho I've heard is quite good but I never could get into ONEs style of art; is the anime better drawn?

I'll put Symphogear and Rage of Bahamut on there as well to check out, though from the descriptions I can't quite tell if it'd be to my personal tastes. Still, a 3-5 episode test never hurts.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Don't watch Chaika, or if you do, remember to skip the last episode to save yourself. Also the Mob Psycho anime looks absolutely fantastic visually. It's one of the show's main strengths.

I'd also throw in Samurai Champloo, KonoSuba, Katanagatari, and FLCL if you haven't seen them already.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

khy posted:

Mob Psycho I've heard is quite good but I never could get into ONEs style of art; is the anime better drawn?

It's still based on ONE's art style and character designs, but the animation quality coming out of studio Bones is every bit as good as it was in One Punch Man. So if you're apprehensive about the quality then don't be, but if you just don't like the art style then you're out of luck.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my hero academia season 2 is really good and does a way better job putting what's been adapted of the manga so far into animation than season 1 did, without any of season 1's weird pacing issues, so absolutely give it a watch

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Mob Psycho 100 is fantastic but I wouldn't call it stupid. I found it pretty much brilliant; it succeeds on the writing as much as it does the shot composition and amazing (if rough/'ugly') visual style.

If you want flashy, stupid, beautiful garbage, you want Symphogear. :getin:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
As someone who bounced off of OPM a little bit (I still keep up with the manga but more because it's tagging along for the ride in my Shonen Jump subscription), I thoroughly enjoyed Mob Psycho. It features incredibly strong characterization above all else. Reigen is the coolest dude you'll ever get to know in anime, we should all aspire to be like Reigen.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nate RFB posted:

As someone who bounced off of OPM a little bit (I still keep up with the manga but more because it's tagging along for the ride in my Shonen Jump subscription), I thoroughly enjoyed Mob Psycho. It features incredibly strong characterization above all else. Reigen is the coolest dude you'll ever get to know in anime, we should all aspire to be like Reigen.

Something that might help with One Punch Man is to understand you're not really watching a hero fighting villains, you're generally watching a (literal) punchline happen to the real main characters of the episode. The fun is in the journey to it, and it is always amazing :allears:.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I want to be like Reigen.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

AnoHito posted:

Don't watch Chaika, or if you do, remember to skip the last episode to save yourself. Also the Mob Psycho anime looks absolutely fantastic visually. It's one of the show's main strengths.

I'd also throw in Samurai Champloo, KonoSuba, Katanagatari, and FLCL if you haven't seen them already.

Don't skip the last episode imo. It's not show ruiningly bad like people say it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GorfZaplen posted:

Don't skip the last episode imo. It's not show ruiningly bad like people say it is

Whatever it is like, just remember it can't be as hard a left turn into :wtc: as School Days' last episode.