Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh yeah it's still better than Alex, but I don't think that's a particularly high bar.

Although at the same time, Alex at least had a lot of original stuff in there, and it was clearly doing its own thing for better or worse.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'll be curious to see where they take things in Omega part 2 and 3.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I need to go through the Alex stuff unsynched someday just for the completion.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

I'll be curious to see where they take things in Omega part 2 and 3.

Well MSQ was full of FFVI and FFVII. Clearly we'll get FFVIII and FFIX. We're getting Blitzball from X, and the new alliance raid is XII/Tactics.

We're totally gonna fight Ultimecia.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

please knock Mom! posted:

Real glad the people against single button combos aren't the ones calling any shots. With some luck us actual mch mains might get more combos out of this

Calling 123 more intriguing gameplay than 111 is a joke rofl

MCH isn't 123 though.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hunter Noventa posted:

Well MSQ was full of FFVI and FFVII. Clearly we'll get FFVIII and FFIX. We're getting Blitzball from X, and the new alliance raid is XII/Tactics.

Didn't they say that the challenge mode content on odd patches would be something different than just a harder version of the regular Omega content? If Super Savage involves Omega throwing you at a completely different FF game (or even another SQEX property entirely) but gated so only top tier raiders can get in, the howls of anger will be amazing.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Omega has the perfect excuse for that too. "Oh, that wasn't tough enough for you? Try this!" As he throws you to the Sigmascape or something.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

To be fair, MCH being ruined by being given a one-button combo says more about how crappily MCH itself is designed than 1-button combos being a bad idea.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
O1:
Really punishing if you don't know what you're doing. Neat design. Still, really harsh as an introduction to the raid.

O2:
The gravity thing is frustrating. I know they lampshade it, but it was still frustrating. Less punishing than O1 though, so...better I guess?

O3:
One of the lads I ran with hyped it up. Didn't do as much for me. It has a neat gimmick though and it's an involved fight which is cool. It took a wipe, but after that I got how things worked and that made it fun. 3 is basically what I wanted 1 and 2 to be. It's a little rough, but simple to pick up and rewarding when you do so. I marked for the shifting sand reference.

O4:
Marked out from the beginning. This is a fight after my own heart. Tough for certain, but not insane. Tough enough that I can't wait til school's out and I can have a go at Savage. This fight made the previous 3 worth it. Just...all the praise on this fight from top to bottom.

And in spite of all my moaning, I actually got a spring and a shaft this week. So hey, things are lookin up. Not the best ever, but I like it more than I liked the first 5 Coils or the first 4 floors of Alexander. I'm sure nostalgia played into that, but I don't think that has to be a bad thing.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

The new gear sets are truly awful

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
do you mean the stats? because they look awesome

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I generally judge by how the chest looks on me since that's the center piece. Hate it on my main. Not a fan of the i310 stuff either tbh.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

nuru posted:

MCH isn't 123 though.

And that's why making the combo 1 button didn't ruin the class in pvp at all

Making the quick reload into a 200 tp action was loving genius

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

The gear would've been amazing if it was dyeable.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I think I'm done with this game till the lag spikes are finished. It seriously ruins trying to play any class when you spike and miss a combo because an earlier hit didnt register on the server, your dual cast is wasted on a jolt because your other spell didnt pop off, you lose your grease lightning because you stood there for 7 seconds without doing anything.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I think I'm done with this game till the lag spikes are finished. It seriously ruins trying to play any class when you spike and miss a combo because an earlier hit didnt register on the server, your dual cast is wasted on a jolt because your other spell didnt pop off, you lose your grease lightning because you stood there for 7 seconds without doing anything.

source your quotes.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Jose Valasquez posted:

source your quotes.

me 3 minutes ago while I was quitting the client

Are you guys seriously not feeling this? Im wondering if its one of the backbone routes getting hammered and a lot of people not experiencing it because of it but while I was saying how bad it felt in chat the entire server took a dump and kicked everyone out.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Shy posted:

The gear would've been amazing if it was dyeable.

If it follows Alexander rules, the Savage versions will be dyeable.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Supposedly the game's getting DDOS'd again so that could be what you're experiencing.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Are you guys seriously not feeling this? Im wondering if its one of the backbone routes getting hammered and a lot of people not experiencing it because of it but while I was saying how bad it felt in chat the entire server took a dump and kicked everyone out.

Last week in the evenings (PST) of Wednesday / Thursday we were dealing with pretty intense lag for our Susano and Lakshmi farming.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Excal had one big dump earlier today but that was the first time it had done it for me since EA. Otherwise I haven't had any issues. Like yeah it was annoying and ideally shouldn't happen but it's also a national holiday coinciding with a patch release, ofc servers are slammed.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

They are currently being with a ddos. If the lag stays terrible then invest in a vpn.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

Ignimbrite posted:

Supposedly the game's getting DDOS'd again so that could be what you're experiencing.

Relevant announcement here:

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/bdbb7b448c96cadbe01f30428f4948c7a4f937a3

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Actually yeah I think it was a routing issue. When I played the game without my vpn on it would constantly disconnect, turn on my VPN and it wouldnt disconnect but it would lag like hell every few seconds. Very unstable. Then I remembered something about the data centers changing places and asked the discord, ended up that switch to california. Switched to a west coast server on my VPN and it now plays great.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Hunter Noventa posted:

Came here basically to post this.

I definitely anticipate FF8 content, and after that I figure it'll be a crazy mash-up that culminates in the big proper Omega fight.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

strong bird posted:

All the good poo poo was in the leveling sets.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

SonicRulez posted:

O1:
Really punishing if you don't know what you're doing. Neat design. Still, really harsh as an introduction to the raid.

Huh, really? I've done it several times with randoms and people new to it and we've never been even close to a wipe unlike with the other three. Story fights have caused me more issues than the first Omega boss.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Kanfy posted:

Huh, really? I've done it several times with randoms and people new to it and we've never been even close to a wipe unlike with the other three. Story fights have caused me more issues than the first Omega boss.

There's lots of movement and attacks in the flavor of "several clumped orange puddles" which can make it very easy to die. I only did it the one time, but I thought it was pretty rough and didn't get better for me as the fight went on.

Brainamp posted:

All the good poo poo was in the leveling sets.

I like the AF3 sets

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I was getting constant 90002s but buying 3 bucks worth of mudfish credit fixed it completely, its like night and day

would rec

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm not entirely thrilled with Omega so far. The bosses have some neat gimmicks and they'll probably be fun in savage, but it's basically just "welp here are some bosses from another game, have fun".

And yet, Alexander was so loving boring that this is a substantial upgrade.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

strong bird posted:

I like the samurai aesthetic myself. Though I wish samurai shared gear with dragoon instead, because the mnk/sam chestpiece does the whole 'one side of the robe is longer' thing again and the lack of symmetry kinda ruins it for me.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I'm the opposite. Give me that asymmetrical outfit design nearly every time (interesting, draws the eye).

I'm glad that Susano weapons are relatively easy to get and that the new currency is on the way. It's nice having options for gear and I hope they continue this. Would love to see them productively iterate on Alex token design next time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ahhaha.

The Gideo and Exdeath minions fight if you get them near each other.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm not entirely thrilled with Omega so far. The bosses have some neat gimmicks and they'll probably be fun in savage, but it's basically just "welp here are some bosses from another game, have fun".

I'm not too enthusiastic about the premise behind Omega since it was basically no different than what I'm already doing by playing an MMO, but I guess that could still improve in the whatever the next part is. I also felt like I was missing out on a lot of references, when usually they do a better job of covering that up for people like me who never played old Nintendo RPGs

On the other hand, the boss fights were fun and the backing story has all the funny engineer characters back.

Maybe I'll just play through Final Fantasy V if it's not too long

Fortuitous Bumble fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 5, 2017

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
My hair makes my character's face naturally asymmetrical, so I like asymmetrical gear like the NIN AF3.

ImpAtom posted:

Ahhaha.

The Gideo and Exdeath minions fight if you get them near each other.

I would've unsubbed if they didn't.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

So do the Nidhogg/Estinien and Louisoix/Bahamut minions. I don't know if there are any other pairs.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Fun fights. Did them all without any wipes in an FC group so I guess the weakness change continues to be amazing.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

vOv posted:

So do the Nidhogg/Estinien and Louisoix/Bahamut minions. I don't know if there are any other pairs.

Ultros used to dance with the Brina dolls. The might have been a bug.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Ultros used to dance with the Brina dolls. The might have been a bug.

No that sounds exactly like the sort of thing Ultros would do.

The most obvious minion fights pair is the Coerul Kitten and Wolf Pup minions, which pretty much everybody knows about but is still adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Omega is certainly a return to form after Alex.

Feels good to be back on the current content train after second coil and A1.