Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
The path the current discussion is taking, reminds me of a question I wanted to ask.
Some time back, there was some sorta thread or link or somesuch about the size of rpg-forums nowadays,
and I think it was one of those things that basically proved that rpg.net was dying out as old-fashioned and getting smaller,
but the original "study" or "research" was from....2015 I think? Where was that? Does anyone remember?

Does it provide any kind of valuable data we can nowadays mine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

kingcom posted:

Yeah thats specifically how lightsaber fighting works in the FFG SW systems, its all about burning through strain until they can't deflect shots any more. The one real change that is handy is to just prevent the Auto-fire quality from being modified to require less than 2 advantages and it tends to be a solid balance to things.

It means the surrounding fighting/action from the rest of that party can really help influence the lightsaber fight by helping whoever is swinging with more blue dice and potentially more advantage to get strain back.

Yea, but it kind of screwed up in FaD where the players are supposed to be "reclaiming the ways of the Jedi" but when they meet the low-end Sith at the end of one sample adventure, they just machine gun him because it's the safest option. Oh, they all had their own sabres which they had hand-crafted as guided by the Force, but there didn't seem to be anything in the traditions which said they had to use them. Groan.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Mr.Misfit posted:

The path the current discussion is taking, reminds me of a question I wanted to ask.
Some time back, there was some sorta thread or link or somesuch about the size of rpg-forums nowadays,
and I think it was one of those things that basically proved that rpg.net was dying out as old-fashioned and getting smaller,
but the original "study" or "research" was from....2015 I think? Where was that? Does anyone remember?

Does it provide any kind of valuable data we can nowadays mine?

« Games › Traditional Games (116 users browsing)

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

hyphz posted:

Yea, but it kind of screwed up in FaD where the players are supposed to be "reclaiming the ways of the Jedi" but when they meet the low-end Sith at the end of one sample adventure, they just machine gun him because it's the safest option. Oh, they all had their own sabres which they had hand-crafted as guided by the Force, but there didn't seem to be anything in the traditions which said they had to use them. Groan.

To be fair, the Way of the Jedi ended previously with the mass execution of the most highly skilled Jedi by blaster fire to the back.

Honestly, you should be commending them for keeping the traditions of the Force alive.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

hyphz posted:

But were they scared, angry, or hate-filled when they did it?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

drrockso20 posted:

If you haven't already you should look at Fire On The Velvet Horizon and Deep Carbon Observatory as well(the former having recently been released for PDF for the first time recently)

I'm very tempted. Part of me wants to wait until I can afford to pick up physical copies, but I get the impression Deep Carbon Observatory in particular would be lootable for my current campaign, so I might pull the trigger on that if it's out in PDF now. I dearly want a dead tree copy of Veins as well, man that book is... pretty is the wrong word, because it's unsettling from cover to cover, but it works so well.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Thank God this turned out to be a parody as, otherwise, this would be too sad.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Covok posted:

Thank God this turned out to be a parody as, otherwise, this would be too sad.

I only got a single like on my reply to the guy who didn't realize this

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

This is great and I wish I could find more things like it.

https://twitter.com/FakeTSR/status/882281368562126848

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
actually, I should probably frame this more as a general question: what's the legality of making unofficial supplements for games? i get the vibe it kind of varies from publisher to publisher, but I also feel like it'd be... really hard to sue someone for saying "this product is compatible with *x RPG*" and having statblocks for it in there, not to mention any unofficial content would require the official books on top anyhow.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

actually, I should probably frame this more as a general question: what's the legality of making unofficial supplements for games? i get the vibe it kind of varies from publisher to publisher, but I also feel like it'd be... really hard to sue someone for saying "this product is compatible with *x RPG*" and having statblocks for it in there, not to mention any unofficial content would require the official books on top anyhow.

It depends, is the real answer. Some companies give explicit consent through licencing agreements like the OGL and CC. Some give less legal, but still explicit consent like Vincent Baker saying that anyone could use his engine as long as he was credited. For everything else, it is a pretty cut-and-dry area. If you use their name and stuff they invented, then they can claim infringement and C&D you. If you make it hyper-generic but compatible, it's a legal grey area that no one in the TRPG industry would be willing to go to court to and have defined.

Basically, only try to sell games that have pre-existing explicit consent or ones you go out and obtain consent on your own.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

"It varies from publisher to publisher" seems to be accurate, however, I've found in general that if you aren't using their published material, allowing it to be compatible seems to be A-OK.

Now if you want to publish the same supplement for multiple systems...

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Game rules can't be copyrighted, but identifiable elements like beholders can be trademarked. This won't stop a company from threatening to sue, though. There's plenty of examples of major game companies making legal threats that wouldn't stand up in court who still "win" by getting a fan site to take down the content that would be too much money/effort to fight.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Ennie nominees are up, and believe it or not there's only one WotC product and one Paizo produce nominated across all categories. I think that may be a first.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

That's two too many

Covok
May 27, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Ennie nominees are up, and believe it or not there's only one WotC product and one Paizo produce nominated across all categories. I think that may be a first.

WotC and Paizo are undeserving! Burn!

Plutonis posted:

That's two too many

Agreed!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

Woo! NC2E is a spotlight. Maybe I can get people to play it.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
There's something apropos about the nominated WotC product being collection of 5e-updated classic adventures. Congrats to Cubicle 7 for all of its nominations. MCG books always have fantastic art, so Numenera nominations for art are fair, but lol at the "best setting" nomination.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I assume that if you're just giving away supplemental material for free most companies won't care very much, right? So long as you don't damage their brand or anything.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Blood In The Chocolate.

Best Adventure.

Please tell me that's a troll raid and they aren't really that stupid.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

hyphz posted:

Blood In The Chocolate.

Best Adventure.

Please tell me that's a troll raid and they aren't really that stupid.

That's the book where it's obviously made by some guy who got all his fetishes from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, right?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nuns with Guns posted:

There's something apropos about the nominated WotC product being collection of 5e-updated classic adventures. Congrats to Cubicle 7 for all of its nominations. MCG books always have fantastic art, so Numenera nominations for art are fair, but lol at the "best setting" nomination.

I dunno, it shouldn't win yea but I think it's worth getting a nomination at least.

Tales from the Loop totally should get that.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Your periodic reminder that the Ennies are sketch as gently caress.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

SunAndSpring posted:

That's the book where it's obviously made by some guy who got all his fetishes from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, right?

Yep. And where the entire adventure is rigged to force the players into those fetishes.

I F+Fed it a while back (I don't think it's in the archives, presumably because inklesspen doesn't need or want oompa-loompa inflation rape on his site)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

sexpig by night posted:

I dunno, it shouldn't win yea but I think it's worth getting a nomination at least.

Tales from the Loop totally should get that.

I've always found Numenera to be an uninspiring scifantasy kitchen sink setting but its artwork sells that very well.

Covok
May 27, 2013

SunAndSpring posted:

Lol loving what? Lol loving WHAT!?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

You mean there are more than just the one people get from that movie?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Covok posted:

Lol loving what? Lol loving WHAT!?

Someone please did up the F&F

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3758962&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=340#post469054447

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Evil Mastermind posted:

How many WOTC products actually came out in the year? 4 probably?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

ProfessorCirno posted:

Being an Ennies judges is essentially a big scam to get free copies of poo poo, isn't it?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Here's hoping Symbaroum gets a shout out for Best Supplement

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Fuego Fish posted:

Being an Ennies judges is essentially a big scam to get free copies of poo poo, isn't it?

Yup. Every nominee has to send the judges physical products if they exist, regardless of where the judge lives or how much shipping costs. If the judge drops out, they get to keep the books.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
e: I'm not even sure how I emptyquoted someone without my knowledge??

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 5, 2017

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

SunAndSpring posted:

My favorite part of this is that, when I poked at this module (I was trying to see what I could buy from the LotFP store during their ACLU fundraiser that would be even halfway worth it), I found a blog post from the writer crowing about how proud they were of getting in representation by writing the villain of the module as non-straight (either a lesbian or a bi woman, I don't remember which), even though "story about ~depraved aberrant sexuality~ where the villain is non-straight" is about as far from progressive representation as it gets.

(I did not end up buying anything from the LotFP store for that fundraiser. I wish I'd known there were some decent setting books.)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I admit I don't follow it, but aren't most LotFP adventures just meatgrinders where you're kinda competing to get the most ridiculous deaths? Because from what I've seen that's about all they are.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

ProfessorCirno posted:

Hell, I've been nominated. Ennies ain't no thing.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
holy poo poo that adventure :shittypop:

the stuff in there that isn't grody and horrible, is absolutely loving hilarious and i kind of want to run it and just strip out the really nasty stuff

seriously, it has addictive chocolate that makes you bleed out of your eyes forever and be bloated with horrible farts for the rest of your life

e: there's a disease that turns you into Luffy from One Piece and this is somehow supposed to be an undesirable thing

e2:

quote:

The adventure specifically says that any player who quotes any of Willy Wonka's lines from this section of the film causes the boat to lurch forward, and every PC on the boat must roll a 1d6 and fall into the river on a 1. Because, you know, anyone who's pointing out your extremely clever and subtle reference deserves to ruin things for the whole group.

I'm not going to lie, this is kind of funny. Honestly, aside from the random Oompa Loompa rape, this adventure gives me Paranoia vibes more than "creepy fetishy D&D" vibes. I'm aware that that's one loving hell of an "aside from," but you know what I mean.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 5, 2017

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Candy superpowers look pretty epic and could be used on a better setting. Just use the rules to remake the Totto Land arc from One Piece!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

JackMann posted:

Hell, I've been nominated. Ennies ain't no thing.

Goon Project? Win an Ennie?

• Locked thread